UCONN vs. ND post game Thread (merged thread) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UCONN vs. ND post game Thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Salut. I’m in France. IChoops is in the UK. You might know how to watch the game from Europe, but if not, IChoops started the recent thread Streaming Games from the UK.

I didn't understand what you mean ...
maybe you wanted to tell me how to watch Uconn matches from Europe? IHOOPS I can't find it!
Anyway thanks

Reaction Score
Hoping for the best but planning for the worst, The team needs to be ready to go when we get back to conference games. The next 3 games don’t mean anything. GT, UCLA, and Louisville are throw away games. The team needs to figure out how to play without Paige by December 29th when they play Marquette.
You could view them that way. But they also have some impact on NCAA tournament seeding. We aren't going to get much of a boost from any games played in the Big East conference. The good news is that we have another 10 day break after Louisville, so if Paige actually has to miss any time, there's a chance she won't have to miss too many games. All depends on the extent of the injury.

Reaction Score
I think it will be good for the Huskies to play without Paige. Wish we had Aubrey and Azzi ready to play. I think Caroline should start and have Nika and Dorka come off the bench for now. Our bigs helped us win the game. We need to start and run some plays for them while Paige is out. I think Caroline should take Paige's off-guard spot. She can pass over other guards on the curl and elbow screens for the rolling cutter and she can hit the outside shot. CW and Caroline will have to take those roles. When Nika comes in Evina can play that wing spot. If Azzi comes back soon she can play that role as well. We will be OK. Liv is really playing with some intensity and finishing the over-the-left-shoulder shot and getting fouled to boot. We are evolving and yes it's a long season when we have big leads let the others play. They will never learn unless they do play.

Reaction Score
In retrospect of course not.

My opinion hasn't changed. I don't presume to have the certainty of outcomes you seem to have about unpredictable events. This was not a situation where a player was hurt earlier in the game, demonstrated pain and a coach insisted she get back in the game and play through an injury causing more damage. In that situation I most certainly would hold a coach accountable.

If your trying to garner support to put blame on Geno by making me think about the consequences of upcoming games it won't work. My attention is to Paige and a speedy recovery. Hopefully the rest of the team steps up in the absence of Azzi and Paige.

There are times for recrimination. This is not one of those times for me. But have at Charliebball.
"Hopefully the rest of the team steps up in the absence of Azzi and Paige." - AND AUBREY GRIFFIN

Reaction Score
I think Geno should have substituted out most of our players at the 3 minute mark to let the bench enjoy Gampel, not to save player's energy or risk of injury. I would also not that the ND coach also seemed to have Geno's philosophy of keeping starters in til the waning moments.

Reaction Score
A player determining when she leaves the game? That reply makes me wonder if it’s time to start talking about the next head coach.
LOL . Yeah, Ok. Someone must be hitting the bottle a little early.

Reaction Score
Not hindsight on my part..............I've been complaining about this for years........playing starters when fatigued during garbage time is not a great idea for many reasons, injury just being just one of them...........if UConn can't run plays without their starting point guard with a minute left in the game then what the heck does that say about the team?
Or the coaching staff.
C’mon.
These players are supposed to be top prospects.
You can’t “coach them up” to run an offense for 5 minutes?
Maybe 10 possessions?
Up by 20?

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Notre Dame game:
  • National rivalry games are great for WBB. So it’s good to see ND build their program back after a couple down years. It makes it even better when you can celebrate a “W” over the Irish by slamming the door in the 4th qtr.
  • Nice to see some UConn Royalty at the game today. Sue and Megan looked great. Wondering if Sue might persuade Megan to change her hair color from violet to Husky blue? :rolleyes:
  • Liv played great today at both ends of the court with a double-double against a pretty tough Big in Dodson. That's exactly what UConn needs from Liv.
  • The TD pass just before the half had me doing my maximum vertical at approximately 14 centimeters. :cool:
  • Another solid defensive effort. UConn held ND to 30% shooting, the second game in a row for the Huskies.
  • Obviously, UConn needs a little work attacking a zone defense.
  • Wasn't it great to see Caroline knock down several shot, including her first 3's as a Husky? She made a giant stride today.
  • Clutching my chest when Dodson ran over Paige like a freight train, and then Dara Mabry's flying elbow into her face. In Mabry's case I guess it's just a family tradition.
  • The injury to Paige looked to me like a hyperextension. Praying for good news now, :(
  • One last thought. In the last day several thoughtful BY’ers posted comments lamenting the growing negativity on the BY. As a result, I’ve done some soul searching, as I hope all of us will do. I love everything about UConn WBB, and I feel strongly that the team and coaches deserve our support. As of today, I will strive to be guided by one single principle, “Would I post a similar thought about my own child?” If not, then I will be guided by the sage advice of Herm Edwards to “DON’T HIT SEND!” I urge everyone else on the BY to consider doing the same.
Mabrey carries the fine tradition of the nd flop!

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
As do we all. I'm with you.

The discussion here of blocking/ignoring posters based on their emotional reaction to this is distasteful.

This time it didn't turn out well, but all coaches have reasons for leaving starters and stars in at the end. It's not a stupid thing to do but it's also not beyond legitimate criticism to question the decision either. Or to simply ask for clarification. Hopefully the injury turns out minor and we all move on.

I wouldn't mind the risk of losing a game or two of the potentially tough games coming up, for the sake of an extremely conservative approach to Paige's returning to play. She's got a lot of basketball in front of her and she's had some wear and tear these last few months with rehab, intensive practices and an unusual number of in-game incidents. I think it's time to back off; she will not have any trouble turning it back on when needed.
Ahhh, you find ignoring posters because of their emotional reactions offensive? I found their emotional reactions offensive. And I can choose to ignore. Already it is a much more productive thread for me. I really like to read opposing points of view. It helps forms opinions. But there is a limit.

Reaction Score
How about "looking back on it I should have pulled her........I'm going to be a bit more cautious going forward........"
Because maybe he won’t, he answered in “coachspeak“ which means it sounds like something but is nothing. I agree she should have been out of the game but it’s not like this is the first time and he just forgot to substitute; as you posted, this is his MO.

Reaction Score
As do we all. I'm with you.

The discussion here of blocking/ignoring posters based on their emotional reaction to this is distasteful.

This time it didn't turn out well, but all coaches have reasons for leaving starters and stars in at the end. It's not a stupid thing to do but it's also not beyond legitimate criticism to question the decision either. Or to simply ask for clarification. Hopefully the injury turns out minor and we all move on.

I wouldn't mind the risk of losing a game or two of the potentially tough games coming up, for the sake of an extremely conservative approach to Paige's returning to play. She's got a lot of basketball in front of her and she's had some wear and tear these last few months with rehab, intensive practices and an unusual number of in-game incidents. I think it's time to back off; she will not have any trouble turning it back on when needed.
Preaching to the Choir friend

Reaction Score
I didn't understand what you mean ...
maybe you wanted to tell me how to watch Uconn matches from Europe? IHOOPS I can't find it!
Anyway thanks
Click on this link.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
A clinical exam can tell you probably if its an ACL or not. The MRI is definitive.
Bleech. I've had 2 you-know-whats and when the doc wanted to do a Lachman test years after surgery after I landed on my kneecap, but I stiffened up so much in prep for the VERY icky feeling if something was wrong so it took him a bit to convince me to relax. All was good, but still, it's gross.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
About 32 of them were in chat.
The chat room is THE place to be during a game. :D Lot’s of positives in today's game. I liked the way our team played for the full 40 minutes. We held a top 25 team to 54 points. When you can hold any team to 54 points, that is a very good overall team effort. We held ND to 10 points in the 4th qtr, and only one ND player scored in double figures. I’ll drink to that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm in the "shouldn't have been in" camp because she had been beat up in the game and that's all I will say. As for the game, I was very happy to see CD come alive and show what she can do.She moves well without the ball and her movements are designed to result in a score. I have no idea what has happened to Evina. She is clearly in a rut.

The turnovers are the key right now. Many passes are ill conceived, such as low bounce passes to the bigs underneath, or floaters that are easily picked off. There are walks, unnecessary offensive fouls, and poor judgment on display. The whole offense has to be tightened up.

Bleech. I've had 2 you-know-whats and when the doc wanted to do a Lachman test years after surgery after I landed on my kneecap, but I stiffened up so much in prep for the VERY icky feeling if something was wrong so it took him a bit to convince me to relax. All was good, but still, it's gross.
My daughter did it 3 times. The first time the trainer told me he couldn't feel her ACL. He was right. It was gone. Geno said the best case scenario was a hyperextended knee. Only the MRI can be definitive.

Reaction Score
Hoping for the best but planning for the worst, The team needs to be ready to go when we get back to conference games. The next 3 games don’t mean anything. GT, UCLA, and Louisville are throw away games. The team needs to figure out how to play without Paige by December 29th when they play Marquette.
what do you mean they don't mean anything? Louisville is ranked 10th, at Georgia Tech is a hostile environment. We will learn a lot about this team in these games, than some 30 pt blowout vs the big east.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
On the game itself, some good things:

Defense held ND to 31% shooting and 54 points. That's pretty good.
Liv played well at both ends,
Caroline knows what she's doing out there. She's aggressive and can make shots. Hopefully this is the start of good things to come.

The offense is a work in progress as ND's zone gave the team trouble. They attacked it a bit better in the 2nd half, and particularly the 4th quarter. Something to build on.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Great team win today. Lots of positive signs for the women. As for Paige I'm hoping for the best. I'll admit there were times I've said to myself over our games "Please take her out now", but I'm not convinced this injury may not have happened anyway. If there was a weakness there it coud very well have happened in practice tomorrow or the next day or next week. Sue Bird had one of her ACL injuries in practice (Not saying that's what this injury is). People love to play the blame game. This happens all the time in every sport when a player gets injured late in a contest. People line up to question coaching. People just like to question coaching period.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think UConn found its mojo today. Most of the team played as though they really wanted to win. The rebounding was better, and they got more 50-50 balls. Olivia was a beast.

The player rotation was very different than in the last few games. I was glad to see Caroline and Nika get meaningful minutes. It would be easy to conclude that they played better because of the extended time, but I suspect they got the time because they've shown something to the coaching staff.

Notre Dame is gonna be really good. I loved watching Citron during the U19's this past summer. She has All-American written all over her. Miles and Westbeld are both fun to watch, too. As is Prohaska; hope she gets fully healthy, Brunelle as well.

I'll stay mum on Paige.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon