UCONN vs. ND post game Thread (merged thread) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UCONN vs. ND post game Thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The whining about Geno’s decidion to have Paige on the floor late in a game with a comfortable lead is silly. Woulda coulda shoulda opinions, always offered in hindsight, constitute the unique specialty of the Boneyard. If I were the coach, and if I had Paige, I’d have had her out there, not because there was any doubt about the outcome of this or any other single game. When Paige is on the floor, she makes everyone else better, which is a critical contribution when your team is struggling to create breakout moments for other players who will be sorely needed to play a supporting role down the road. This injury was a fluke, and not anyones “fault!” Just the breaks of the game.

Reaction Score
Well it looks like you'll be waiting a few weeks to many months to make that happen again...........was it worth it?
Paige shouldn’t get out of bed in the morning. There’s a chance she could get injured. Maybe Geno should only play her starting at the BE tournament, but only on the offensive side of the floor. Just play 4 players on D.

Reaction Score

Worried about how the team would look, up by 18 with little time left? Lame, lame excuse, and hopefully he won't regret not having gotten Paige out of the game. 39 MINUTES, got banged around a lot, coming up the floor you could almost see her ankles wobbling. Terrible mistake, really on all the coaches. If he's not paying attention , you would hope that Daley or Elliot would have opened their mouths.

Reaction Score
Worried about how the team would look, up by 18 with little time left? Lame, lame excuse, and hopefully he won't regret not having gotten Paige out of the game. 39 MINUTES, got banged around a lot, coming up the floor you could almost see her ankles wobbling. Terrible mistake, really on all the coaches. If he's not paying attention , you would hope that Daley or Elliot would have opened their mouths.
Ridiculous take!!!!

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
The team played like a team....I can't trash anyone this week. I hope PG is OK.

Do you have a specific example or this just a general complaint?

Why do people look for things to complain about?
Nan, I agree with a lot of what you say about player criticism. But defending the Mabreys in a complaint about a whining family, SMH.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Well it looks like you'll be waiting a few weeks to many months to make that happen again...........was it worth it?
In retrospect of course not.

My opinion hasn't changed. I don't presume to have the certainty of outcomes you seem to have about unpredictable events. This was not a situation where a player was hurt earlier in the game, demonstrated pain and a coach insisted she get back in the game and play through an injury causing more damage. In that situation I most certainly would hold a coach accountable.

If your trying to garner support to put blame on Geno by making me think about the consequences of upcoming games it won't work. My attention is to Paige and a speedy recovery. Hopefully the rest of the team steps up in the absence of Azzi and Paige.

There are times for recrimination. This is not one of those times for me. But have at Charliebball.

Reaction Score
Can’t say I “like” your post as I think that would be in poor form.
Because we (should) know the answer.
But really, was it necessary?
Bloody nose two days ago.
Hard contact ( from a big) minutes before injury going for loose ball.
Knocked around under the basket.
Hit hardwood taking a charge.
Why ride Paige into the ground?
It’s a long season.
And she was hitting on all cylinders today- playing fantastic ball.
I feel terrible.

Reaction Score
Ciao,from Italy I was able to follow the game only through the game statistics ...
then I read your posts and I learned about Paige ... it really didn't take ... I hope she gets better anyway (maybe she was jealous of Azzi or wanted to keep her company ... kidding !!) step forward of Caroline who I was hoping it would (we found another good option for games ... I'm confident) ONO incredible .... As for ND Citron confirms that it is a beautiful reality.
Nice win (I was very worried)
Salut. I’m in France. IChoops is in the UK. You might know how to watch the game from Europe, but if not, IChoops started the recent thread Streaming Games from the UK.

Reaction Score
People are entitled to different views but questioning whether Bueckers or any starter for that matter needs to play the last minute of a blowout is a legitimate question IMO. As to Auriemma‘s response, what is he supposed to say?

Reaction Score
Hoping for the best but planning for the worst, The team needs to be ready to go when we get back to conference games. The next 3 games don’t mean anything. GT, UCLA, and Louisville are throw away games. The team needs to figure out how to play without Paige by December 29th when they play Marquette.

Reaction Score
The whining about Geno’s decidion to have Paige on the floor late in a game with a comfortable lead is silly. Woulda coulda shoulda opinions, always offered in hindsight, constitute the unique specialty of the Boneyard. If I were the coach, and if I had Paige, I’d have had her out there, not because there was any doubt about the outcome of this or any other single game. When Paige is on the floor, she makes everyone else better, which is a critical contribution when your team is struggling to create breakout moments for other players who will be sorely needed to play a supporting role down the road. This injury was a fluke, and not anyones “fault!” Just the breaks of the game.
Not hindsight on my part..............I've been complaining about this for years........playing starters when fatigued during garbage time is not a great idea for many reasons, injury just being just one of them...........if UConn can't run plays without their starting point guard with a minute left in the game then what the heck does that say about the team?

Reaction Score
People are entitled to different views but questioning whether Bueckers or any starter for that matter needs to play the last minute of a blowout is a legitimate question IMO. As to Auriemma‘s response, what is he supposed to say?
How about "looking back on it I should have pulled her........I'm going to be a bit more cautious going forward........"

Reaction Score
Geno should have taken her out with about 2 minutes left just so Paige could get a much deserved standing ovation in front of the home fans - 1st time ever with full attendance fans. She played an awesome game against a heated rival & deserves the applause.

But, to blame Geno for the injury happening at that time...please. There is risk to any player at any point in a game.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The good part of a discussion like this is that it helps to identify those who should be ignored or blocked.
You can ignore anyone you want, but to block someone that is expressing an opinion that is questioning the coach for leaving starters out on the floor in a game that has less than 2 minutes left is ridiculous.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Seriously? It’s a fan chat board even if we are a cut above.
Seriously. I guess everyone now has to listen to all the wacky thoughts because we should be fair?

Reaction Score
I feel terrible
As do we all. I'm with you.

The discussion here of blocking/ignoring posters based on their emotional reaction to this is distasteful.

This time it didn't turn out well, but all coaches have reasons for leaving starters and stars in at the end. It's not a stupid thing to do but it's also not beyond legitimate criticism to question the decision either. Or to simply ask for clarification. Hopefully the injury turns out minor and we all move on.

I wouldn't mind the risk of losing a game or two of the potentially tough games coming up, for the sake of an extremely conservative approach to Paige's returning to play. She's got a lot of basketball in front of her and she's had some wear and tear these last few months with rehab, intensive practices and an unusual number of in-game incidents. I think it's time to back off; she will not have any trouble turning it back on when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom