UCONN-Texas Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Texas Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
It's going to be the good, the bad and the ugly for a while.

The freshmen, this includes Ice, are getting a baptism under fire. There are flashes of what can be. it will take a while.

We are down 4 players. At least three will not play this year. There went our extra height and 3 point shooters. Like it or not, the frosh have to pick up that slack.

Paige is not the Paige of two years ago. And she doesn't have the supporting cast she needs.

Our defense is not good, yet.

The team did show it has fight in them. They are not giving up. It's a matter of putting it all together.

This will take a while to get going in the right direction.

Reaction Score
They made that run with her at PG when we had a player(Dorka) that we could run the offense through at the high post. When there are absolutely no shooters or passers on the floor besides Paige, a player like Nika, who can't shoot or dribble penetrate, becomes easier to defend because she holds onto the ball too long.
Nika can shoot and Nika can dribble and Nika can pass the ball as well as anyone. The problem is no one gets open under or anywhere close so she has to clear it out again. Nika wasn't open all that much either.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I saw things I liked...not taking about fight...but at this stage, UConn just didn't have the horses to compete against a bigger, more athletic, better scoring, more experienced team....as I had prognosticated.

All the coaching in the world is not going to make that much of a difference against significantly more gifted teams...

I was delighted that the freshman made a run with Paige on the bench...Its a formula that Geno should consider.

It would have been an interesting game with a healthy Azzi and Caroline but that's dreaming...We are what we are.

This season is going to be a completely different experience for those that grew up in the Moore/Stewie eras. There will be losses, we may even drop out of the rankings.

I expect the team to improve, perhaps a lot...but the person I'm interested in watching during this difficult
period is Geno...and how he handles adversity...It's new experience for him as much as the fanbase.

Reaction Score
For all UConn fans, the start to this season is unprecedented, and not in a good way, as the Huskies lost their third game of the season the earliest since the 1986-87 season. So here are a few thoughts:
  • Credit to UConn for fighting to the end. It was too little too late, but it was good to see the Huskies make a minnie-run in the 4th qtr.
  • Geno is still trying to figure out his starting 5. Today Ice got the starting nod. For my money, KK has to be in the starting lineup. Her quickness, ability to penetrate and her defense are essential for this UConn team. KK was UConn’s best defender against Harmon.
  • There were some incredible no-calls today. Enough said….
  • Without the ability to spread the floor on offense, it’s a lot easier for opposing teams to defend UConn. Pack it in the paint and double Paige on all ball screens to force her to give up the ball.
  • Don’t know why we didn’t see much of Aubrey in the 2nd half, other than the fact that she struggled containing Booker, something that I would never have imagined.
  • Aaliyah had a nice scoring game, but she is simply outmanned by bigger posts on the boards. No one misses Dorka more than Aaliyah.
  • The BE season can’t start soon enough……..
Correct. This was Texas' whole defensive focus. With no one else to hurt them from outside, they doubled, took away Bueckers and ignored the screener. Won't be the last time you'll see this strategy, every coach on UConn's schedule knows this.

Reaction Score
In playing the freshmen so many minutes, Geno was playing for March today. The freshmen were terrific
I agree. The 'Future' is spelled: M A R C H. One game at a time.... trial by fire, growth, ... I will
look forward to the "full" development of this hard-working team!

Reaction Score
Crazy that Marquette may start the Big East season ranked higher than us.
My Huskies are built tough and I believe will be a whole lot better come tourney time. We are currently going to be a 4 to 5 seed and who wants to face us that early.
As a fan I say let's be patient as we have had the toughest schedule compared to other teams around the country and we have had a lot of valuable minutes in street clothes.
Nobody’s fearing UConn these days. Many decent teams or coaches are looking forward to that challenge and rising up to meet it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Ice should resist taking the 3 pointers for now too
Maybe, an occasional 3 might be ok, but defensive rebounding is a clear need. There is also a lot of mindless criticism about the recruiting of interior players. Last time I looked we have s strong rebounding soph who is injured, a 6’4 frosh who supposedly is quite good - obviously nothing to go on with Jana - but stiil seemingly sturdy, and Caroline who is a decent rebounder although a swing player.

For me, Aubrey was the most disappointing today. But we are banged up at almost every key position and the losses have all been to good teams away from home early in the season. I wouldn’t jump off the ledge just yet.

Reaction Score

• But that will only let us beat up overmatched teams and get a false sense of security
Many Boneyarders are looking forward to the BIG EAST Schedule: Marquette is now 7 - 0
Creigton is 5- 1. Villanova is 5 -1 and even the Hoyas are 5 - 1 !!! To that add that Butler is
5- 2 at this point in the season. UCONN will win the Big East... but it won't
be a cakewalk.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Agree with the Texas evaluation and they're also taller and stronger.

They were home and got more calls

As you said Nika couldn't guard Harmon. KK did a little better. I would have liked to have seen them try a box and 1.

Aubrey and Nika have failed to develop consistent offensive games. Leaves us depending on Paige and Aaliyah as our only consistent offensive options thus as you said too many minutes for Paige.

Seemed the couple of times they went to zone Harmon hit a 3. I would have liked to see the freshmen group in the 3rd qtr.

I was looking for one of the best coaching staffs in the country to be more creative in getting Paige open. This team also needs to really want to rebound. Put a body on somebody.

All this being said they're a work in progress. Players, especially the four first year players will improve and the coaching staff will better learn how to use them.

Still a really, really good team. The teams they lost to are top 10 teams.

Go Huskies!
As even Rebecca noted Harmon made some shots over great Nika defense, Nika also was guarding late in the game undersized and did good. Aubrey is neither good offense or consistent good defense, so she gets pulled and sits
In 2023 best coaching staff is a stretch. 20 years ago.
Late in game still close Gonzalez takes a dive as Nika is making a 3. Geno nothing.

Reaction Score
Random Thoughts...

• Early in the game we gave up way too many open looks. Don't know where our D went.
  • There is a pattern of teams punching us to start the game and us folding.
  • I think it is time to start/play the freshman. Aubrey 0-2, 6 Reb, 4 TOs. I'd like to see KK, Shade, Ice Paige and AE
  • So many unforced TOs, terrible entry passes. Ice 5 TOs
  • Texas had 24 more shots than us !!!!!!
  • We might end the year without a top 20 win given how weak the BE is. I see us as a 4 seed which makes the road to the Final 4 much more difficult.
  • This will be controversial, but I think the game is getting past Geno. The type of players we recruit and the in-game coaching. The game is getting much more athletic shot-makers vs disciplined offense
When we have a healthy roster is the only legitimate time to start criticizing recruiting! I was completely unsurprised at this loss. In fact, I am actually encouraged that the team showed as much fight as it did. Everyone wants to criticize recruiting but if everyone were healthy I believe we would have won this game fairly handily. Texas is a good team with a great coach but we are playing with one hand tied behind our back. Having said that, I do hope that Geno stops talking about the injuries and accepts that we’re going to have a tough time for at least a few months.
This team still has talent, Aaliyah may have turned a corner today, it’s just going to take time and some brutal losses to bring it out. Ice is still overwhelmed but she too will get better and the rest of them as well! All is not lost, the sun will come up tomorrow and our team will be better than they were today.
Just accept that we’re going to have a non UConn like year and watch this team improve. I am hopeful that by March, this team will be a completely different team! Perhaps not a championship contender, a solid team, nonetheless. If that happens, we can look forward to next year with some real optimism!

Reaction Score
What is it about playing UConn that turns the other team into 5 Curry-like shooters?

My only addition is that many of the offensive rebounds UConn gave up were caused by the guards not boxing out. You could see that Nika, Q, etc. were used to getting out on the break and slow to go low on the weak side and put a body on someone. I actually think if Geno can teach them this skill Huskies would be giving up 5-7+ less offensive rebounds and 5-8 points a game.
Probably the fact that they are wide open or have the athleticism to rise up above the defense for clear shots.

Reaction Score
TX had some hot shooting in the first quarter, and they continued to put it up, often. They took 83 shots (field goals and 3s) compared to 54 for UConn. The turnover difference hurt, of course, but UConn has to shoot more. Geno will fix that.
TX controlled the boards. They often scored quickly after we made a run. It's easy to get more shots if you get more rebounds! Our shift to a zone seemed to help some for a while until their point guard hit some threes. To our advantage, we also played more of an open court style late in the game, with the freshmen in.

In our vintage half-court offense, our bigs often threw the ball away especially in the first half. Our bigs or smaller guards inside have a tough time getting off shots against TX bigs. This seems true with other larger teams that we have played. With Nika and Griffin starting, the opposing teams only need to worry about three offensive players. Hoping the coaches can see a way forward. This game offered many glances at a better future.

Reaction Score
There was also a phantom call on a fine defensive play by Ash Shade. Instead of a turnover, in a then 6 point game, it gives Texas two free throws. Refs seem to think there is no such thing as an excellent defensive play. There " must" have been a foul...so they call one. It is a disgrace. We did play better with Paige on the bench. How odd is that? But it kind of forced the team to play and score without her. Now we need them to play and score with her. Edwards gets more credit in this game than due, I think. Yes, she had a high point total. But she also clanked free throws and turned the ball over more than usual. Geno is simply going to have to live with Brady and her foibles. She hasn't played in two years, and never against this competition. Liked what I saw ( little though it was ) of Ash, Q and KK. Muhl looks like she has already played a full season. And I agree about Aubrey. The occasional rebound is not going to cut it. But where can we turn?

When we suddenly look like an "all world" team against Ball State, let's remember UCLA, NC State and Texas. It is going to be difficult to exponentially improve in the Big East, where there is only occasional competition. But we need to do that. And we need bigger, faster, stronger athletes. Paige is on the floor after every drive to the basket. Every one.

Away games are tough to watch, especially when they are over in the first 4 minutes. And that was the case today. Sure, give some credit for fighting back. That used to be how the other teams comforted themselves. Now we take whatever scrap of optimism we can.
Ashlynn and all the first-year players (include ICE there) played with a lot of heart.... Things will improve with the
ongoing experience of playing... game after game!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Official box

BC99BD59-1EDB-4B8E-877D-75DD960AEEBF.jpeg

Reaction Score
No fan is ever happy with a loss, but perspective is needed. Yes, UConn was outclassed today by Texas, and the same thing happened against UCLA & NC St. All are unbeaten, and Texas looks like a top 5 team with talent & depth. So that is 3 losses against teams that are better than UConn at this point in time. Injuries aside, this team is in a state of flux, and they are trying to carve out an identity against high quality teams on the road. That's not a recipe for success.

The freshmen will play a huge part if this team is to be successful down the road. There's talent there, but it needs seasoning. While they have their highs and lows, someone has to be a consistent presence, night in and out.

I am usually ecstatic to watch any game Paige is playing, and I never wish to be critical of her. However, I can't remember when I was so frustrated at watching her play. As somebody mentioned, UConn was already down 15-3 before she took her first shot. In a matchup like this game, and on this team, Paige has to take 20 shots. So far this season, she has either looked to take it to the hole or launch a three. Her midrange pull-up jumper has been AWOL. I don't understand why that part of her game is not being utilized.

Like the UCLA game, Paige waited until UConn was down 15 or more before she asserted herself. There's a lack of firepower in the starting five, but if she wants to get her teammates more involved, the best way is for her to get going, which allows the game to come to them. Today, it was apparent that Ice Brady wanted to get off to a good start. Paige was far more assertive as a freshman than she is now in her 4th year. Taking 11 shots in a top 10 road game is not worthy of an All-American type player.

The positive takeaway from this game is the fight shown in the 4th quarter. KK, Shade & Samuels each made their contributions during the run and hopefully, they'll carry this momentum forward.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Giving her a minute won’t add speed to her game. Whether it is a result of her injury or not, she is very slow compared to her teammates.
Never was anything but slow, she doesn't always hustle back on defense so the rest of the team has to scramble. Aubrey during most games both on offense and defense does things that causes the team to scramble.

Reaction Score
The ting that concerned was the look Amari had on her face the last few seconds of the game. Same with Brady. The last player I saw with a look similar to that was Brianna Banks in her sophomore year and she played on a NC team. The player who needs to put on the floor and let her play through her mistakes is Amari. UConn is lacking height and have a 6'5" Junior sitting on the bench. I would think she came to UConn thinking the coaches would help her improve her talent level. That has not happened. Although she scored well today, how does a player go from a third team AA to playing like Edwards has been playing this season?
I noticed the look on her face too, it wasn't the happy expression she normally has. I thought it was eery

Reaction Score
Random Thoughts...

• Early in the game we gave up way too many open looks. Don't know where our D went.
  • There is a pattern of teams punching us to start the game and us folding.
  • I think it is time to start/play the freshman. Aubrey 0-2, 6 Reb, 4 TOs. I'd like to see KK, Shade, Ice Paige and AE
  • So many unforced TOs, terrible entry passes. Ice 5 TOs
  • Texas had 24 more shots than us !!!!!!
  • We might end the year without a top 20 win given how weak the BE is. I see us as a 4 seed which makes the road to the Final 4 much more difficult.
  • This will be controversial, but I think the game is getting past Geno. The type of players we recruit and the in-game coaching. The game is getting much more athletic shot-makers vs disciplined offense
Regarding the controversial part I think it’s fair to say that a team with a national
Player of the year a 3rd team all american
A 4th and 5th year player and 3top ten recruits
Is not lacking in talent -and imho is not playing
To their level of talent
For me, losing to UCLA and on the road to Texas is not at all unexpected but it’s the way they lost where they were barely competitive is
Imho the eye test does not show a well coached
Team
I suppose one can say it’s either the injuries or
Coaching for me it’s the seniors not playing
Consistently well due to the cumulative affect
Of 3 years of injuries and the weight of expectations of UConn wbb

Reaction Score
Looking at the box score, AG needs to be getting some of those buckets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom