UCONN-Texas Post Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Texas Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The shortcomings are not going to be addressed in one or two games. This team is going to be a work in progress for the entire year.
There are other teams this year with more size and, dare I say it, more talent. Injured players who can't get on the floor don't count when they are unavailable on game day.

Remember, other teams have excellent players too.

Reaction Score
Samuel needs to see the court more too she has potential no doubt. Let her learn on the court this year is unfortunately all about next year.
Your pov regarding above is much more reserved for pro ball. It has little place for premiere College basketball programs in early December. The point in bold isn't reality for a premiere college coach, a premiere college coaching staff, a premiere program, and proud college players used to excellence.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
What's your point about UCONN fans? What does that have to do with Stanford losing?
Because UConn is missing players also.

Stanford losing has nothing to do with UConn losing, but other posters keep bringing it up in this thread.

Reaction Score
This has definitely been an interesting read.

This team is too slow. Plain and simple. Slow to loose balls. Slow getting to open shooters. Slow to the boards getting rebounds.

The women's game has gotten faster and more athletic in a hurry. That's how LSU won the title last year. They were fast and athletic.

I do believe Geno saw this coming with his 3 true freshman. They are a lot faster and more athletic than the upper classman. The days of finesse players is just about over.

As far as the rest of this season goes, it's going to be ugly (8-10 losses). If I were Geno, I would tell Paige to shoot 25 times a game and start early.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Stanford losing has nothing to do with UConn losing, but other posters keep bringing it up in this thread.
We’re UConn talking to one another in a UConn thread. Not sure why I have to keep reminding you which board you’re on.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why some continue to believe that height equates to proportionate rebounds remains very bizarre. :)
This is 6-8 Brittney Griner

CBDDE7FD-AE03-4FF4-88A8-20090F25BE55.jpeg

This is 6-4 Tina Charles

EC96F547-E123-4FB0-9489-901992F36A10.jpeg

Reaction Score

What's wrong with UCONN fans bringing up a UCONN game thread that while UCONN lost in some manner due to injuries in which they have 4 players out vs Stanford having just 1 player out?

It's a UCONN game thread in which many of are frusrated and you want to go tit-for-tat with UCONN fans? Is it to rub it in?

Can't we acknowledge what UCONN is going through is a lot more than what Stanford had to go through recently?

Nan pointed out the players on our current team - we have 4 seniors and basically 4 freshmen. Its as though UCONN never picked up a recruit in 2 consecutive years and add to that Paige doens't look quite right yet (maybe she is), Aubrey's back will always be in question, along with a minimum of 3 but up to four players UCONN was counting on that are out, and we're asking non-superstar freshmen to play well vs top compettion, and yet you felt a need to point out 1 injury that Stanford had on a UCONN site rather than just letting it go?

Reaction Score
What's wrong with UCONN fans bringing up a UCONN game thread that while UCONN lost in some manner due to injuries in which they have 4 players out vs Stanford having just 1 player out?

It's a UCONN game thread in which many of are frusrated and you want to go tit-for-tat with UCONN fans? Is it to rub it in?

Can't we acknowledge what UCONN is going through is a lot more than what Stanford had to go through recently?

Nan pointed out the players on our current team - we have 4 seniors and basically 4 freshmen. Its as though UCONN never picked up a recruit in 2 consecutive years and add to that Paige doens't look quite right yet (maybe she is), Aubrey's back will always be in question, along with a minimum of 3 but up to four players UCONN was counting on that are out, and we're asking non-superstar freshmen to play well vs top compettion, and yet you felt a need to point out 1 injury that Stanford had on a UCONN site rather than just letting it go?
It is possible, by the way, that Paige will never be the same. and if she has to carry the entire offensive load, we have no chance. And nor does she. She is beaten up in each game as if she were a running back in football. Every time she drives to the hoop she winds up on the floor. Every time. She can't take that for a full season. We have taken too many shots to the midsection already ( Jana, AZZI, Caroline, Patterson ). The dynasty is in the rear view mirror. We will have fun in the Big east, but not outside of it.

Reaction Score
This has definitely been an interesting read.

This team is too slow. Plain and simple. Slow to loose balls. Slow getting to open shooters. Slow to the boards getting rebounds.

The women's game has gotten faster and more athletic in a hurry. That's how LSU won the title last year. They were fast and athletic.

I do believe Geno saw this coming with his 3 true freshman. They are a lot faster and more athletic than the upper classman. The days of finesse players is just about over.

As far as the rest of this season goes, it's going to be ugly (8-10 losses). If I were Geno, I would tell Paige to shoot 25 times a game and start early.
Actually, except for KK being faster than her upper class counterpart Muhl and even PB, its the other way around, i.e. Griffin is faster than either Shade and even Q , and Edwards is a faster than Brady. If your point is that quickness and athleticism are on the rise among the top tier teams and Uconn has to recruit accordingly, OK we get that. But otherwise, don't seek to make a point with faulty facts

Reaction Score
UConn has fallen to three top 10 or better teams, two of the on the road and the third on a neutral site. They are a team that has to get used to new players because of injuries that have sidelined starters and some other key players. They haven't lost to teams like Gonzaga, Chattanooga, Southern Mississippi or Arkansas who were all unranked teams that beat Stanford, Mississippi State, Mississippi, and Florida State over the last few days.
No doubt they've lost to very good teams. This early in the season you can't go totally by rankings as we saw with NC State.

Reaction Score
One player sick and they can't beat Gonzaga, yet UConn has three major players from last year out and everyone is screaming, sorry but I don't buy it, Stanford blew it big time.
Maybe Gonzaga is better than we think and Stanford had an off game. Brink is a big part of their team. They've been upset before. I do think we as uconn fans and our head coach as well have to stop talking about missing Azzi. She's out for the year. Our team will probably get Ayanna and Ducharme back at some point but Geno and staff have to coach and strategies with the team we have.

Reaction Score
It is possible, by the way, that Paige will never be the same. and if she has to carry the entire offensive load, we have no chance. And nor does she. She is beaten up in each game as if she were a running back in football. Every time she drives to the hoop she winds up on the floor. Every time. She can't take that for a full season. We have taken too many shots to the midsection already ( Jana, AZZI, Caroline, Patterson ). The dynasty is in the rear view mirror. We will have fun in the Big east, but not outside of it.
I agree with you, but Paige is quite possibly the smartest basketball player UConn has ever had. She'll figure what to do and what not to do to save yourself wear & tear.

Reaction Score
Maybe they need a players meeting!?
Players meetings always look effective when you have a weak opponent like Ball St coming up. I think they should all be forced to write rebound 100 times on the white board!

Reaction Score
Actually, except for KK being faster than her upper class counterpart Muhl and even PB, its the other way around, i.e. Griffin is faster than either Shade and even Q , and Edwards is a faster than Brady. If your point is that quickness and athleticism are on the rise among the top tier teams and Uconn has to recruit accordingly, OK we get that. But otherwise, don't seek to make a point with faulty facts
What players are you watching? All 3 true freshman are faster and quicker than Paige and CD and just as fast or faster than Nika. Aubrey is the only one that may be faster, but from the games I've seen, she has lost a step or 2.

I see it one way, you see it another. That's what makes life interesting.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't know what your point IS here Nan? We have absolutely no one on this team who equates to either of these super star players! And I believe that is what @hoophuskee is implying.
People keep clamoring for Geno to play Amari because, supposedly, greater height means more rebounds. Similarly, some fans feel Geno should recruit 6-6, 6-7 girls, even unknown quantities and Geno can coach them up. I guess some feel these giants will make UConn unbeatable.

My point is that incremental size doesn’t mean a better player. Brittney Griner is a great player but when the Huskies played Baylor, Tina ate Brittney’s lunch with 21 points, 13 rebounds even though she’s 4” shorter.

Reaction Score
People keep clamoring for Geno to play Amari because, supposedly, greater height means more rebounds. Similarly, some fans feel Geno should recruit 6-6, 6-7 girls, even unknown quantities and Geno can coach them up. I guess some feel these giants will make UConn unbeatable.

My point is that incremental size doesn’t mean a better player. Brittney Griner is a great player but when the Huskies played Baylor, Tina ate Brittney’s lunch with 21 points, 13 rebounds against the bigger woman even though she’s 4” shorter.
Didn't he coach up Wolters and Dolson? They took about 2 years to develop.

Reaction Score
Maybe Gonzaga is better than we think and Stanford had an off game. Brink is a big part of their team. They've been upset before. I do think we as uconn fans and our head coach as well have to stop talking about missing Azzi. She's out for the year. Our team will probably get Ayanna and Ducharme back at some point but Geno and staff have to coach and strategies with the team we have.
And there are stories out now that Brink was quite ill for the Gonzaga game. As for UCONN " probably" getting Ducharme back and Patterson back, that may apply more to next season than this one. If Ducharme remains out for Ball state,, it is going to be a long term thing. And, likely, recurring. She probably needs a red shirt year. Do we know what procedure Patterson had, and exactly when it took place?

Reaction Score
Your pov regarding above is much more reserved for pro ball. It has little place for premiere College basketball programs in early December. The point in bold isn't reality for a premiere college coach, a premiere college coaching staff, a premiere program, and proud college players used to excellence.

Ok that’s a fair point. But they won’t do anything this year you can dream all you want. December or February they won’t rebound or defend teams with larger girls and better athletes, it’s simple. And I understand the pride and commitment others have put or tried to put in. But the future is KK, Shade and Samuel now so let them grow. Not saying all the minutes by any means but more for Shade and Samuel than they are getting. And rebounding isn’t all size it’s will as well and width which they have very little of. Boxing out is very important but you need to move them back not just put your butt on them. Admittedly I thought Texas was over the back a lot more than called yesterday.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ok that’s a fair point. But they won’t do anything this year you can dream all you want. December or February they won’t rebound or defend teams with larger girls and better athletes, it’s simple. And I understand the pride and commitment others have put or tried to put in. But the future is KK, Shade and Samuel now so let them grow. Not saying all the minutes by any means but more for Shade and Samuel than they are getting. And rebounding isn’t all size it’s will as well and width which they have very little of. Boxing out is very important but you need to move them back not just put your butt on them. Admittedly I thought Texas was over the back a lot more than called yesterday.
Yep. The Texas game looked an awful lot the first half of the men’s Kansas game, complete with the home cookin’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom