UCONN-Texas Post Game Thread | The Boneyard

UCONN-Texas Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Texas was more talented, aggressive and deeper than UConn but UConn’s relentless fight made it a game. The fourth quarter no call when Aaliyah was mugged probably prevented a fabulous comeback.

-Nika could not handle Rori Harmon but I am not sure there are many guards who can.

-Still waiting for Ice Brady to show the ranking she had coming out of high school. Just too many mistakes on both ends of the floor.

-Aubrey is still disappearing for long stretches. As a senior in Geno’s program, she should be way more consistent than she has shown.

-Paige’s minutes may not be a concern to many but it does me. These games don’t mean much. I wish Geno would limit her minutes more. Especially since teams are just beating her up physically.

-He doesn’t like to, but this team should probably play more zone. I think they could rebound better out of zone.

-Q must be practicing poorly but with this group Geno can afford the same patience with Q as he does with Ice.

-I think Geno needs a pep talk of his own. He seems to be understandably frustrated with the injuries but these kids need him. This means doing something he has had not had to do much over the years. Bite the bullet and let the pups go through game time growing pains.

-Still love this program because the kids never strop playing hard. Their body language even when things are going poorly, is good. Turnovers, giving up second chance baskets and scoring from others besides Edwards and Paige will improve as the year goes on.

-Encouraged by the fourth quarter run with the three freshmen on the floor and Paige on the bench.

Reaction Score
20+ turnovers and giving up 16 (I think) offensive rebounds is not going to win many games. That’s a tough recipe for a team that has a much smaller margin for error than many probably assumed when the year started.

Nice to see some fight in the fourth quarter, but the team has many flaws it will need to work on over the course of the season.

Reaction Score
Texas was more talented, aggressive and deeper than UConn but UConn’s relentless fight made it a game. The fourth quarter no call when Aaliyah was mugged probably prevented a fabulous comeback.

-Nika could not handle Rori Harmon but I am not sure there are many guards who can.

-Still waiting for Ice Brady to show the ranking she had coming out of high school. Just too many mistakes on both ends of the floor.

-Aubrey is still disappearing for long stretches. As a senior in Geno’s program, she should be way more consistent than she has shown.

-Paige’s minutes may not be a concern to many but it does me. These games don’t mean much. I wish Geno would limit her minutes more. Especially since teams are just beating her up physically.

-He doesn’t like to, but this team should probably play more zone. I think they could rebound better out of zone.

-Q must be practicing poorly but with this group Geno can afford the same patience with Q as he does with Ice.

-I think Geno needs a pep talk of his own. He seems to be understandably frustrated with the injuries but these kids need him. This means doing something he has had not had to do much over the years. Bite the bullet and let the pups go through game time growing pains.

-Still love this program because the kids never strop playing hard. Their body language even when things are going poorly, is good. Turnovers, giving up second chance baskets and scoring from others besides Edwards and Paige will improve as the year goes on.

-Encouraged by the fourth quarter run with the three freshmen on the floor and Paige on the bench.
I didn't like the loss. Fans shall come and with loses fans shall go. True Fan lick they wounds and move on. How can any fan blame Geno --he sits on the bench. Turnovers by inexperienced in College basketball --are learning. I've been more often than not when I say this: It is not where you are in early December it is where you are in March that matters. Wait and see. I don't expect an NC--there are some very good team this year. Elite 8, FF--that's fine with me--heck 20 wins is fine with me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For all UConn fans, the start to this season is unprecedented, and not in a good way, as the Huskies lost their third game of the season the earliest since the 1986-87 season. So here are a few thoughts:
  • Credit to UConn for fighting to the end. It was too little too late, but it was good to see the Huskies make a minnie-run in the 4th qtr.
  • Geno is still trying to figure out his starting 5. Today Ice got the starting nod. For my money, KK has to be in the starting lineup. Her quickness, ability to penetrate and her defense are essential for this UConn team. KK was UConn’s best defender against Harmon.
  • There were some incredible no-calls today. Enough said….
  • Without the ability to spread the floor on offense, it’s a lot easier for opposing teams to defend UConn. Pack it in the paint and double Paige on all ball screens to force her to give up the ball.
  • Don’t know why we didn’t see much of Aubrey in the 2nd half, other than the fact that she struggled containing Booker, something that I would never have imagined.
  • Aaliyah had a nice scoring game, but she is simply outmanned by bigger posts on the boards. No one misses Dorka more than Aaliyah.
  • The BE season can’t start soon enough……..

Reaction Score
Azzi's injury has made Paige a prime target as there is no one else who can really score from the outside...eventually the freshmen will help alleviate that problem. The other problem is in the post, we just don't have the height to be the force we usually are. It's an up and down experience watching UConn play.

Reaction Score
20+ turnovers and giving up 16 (I think) offensive rebounds is not going to win many games. That’s a tough recipe for a team that has a much smaller margin for error than many probably assumed when the year started.

Nice to see some fight in the fourth quarter, but the team has many flaws it will need to work on over the course of the season.
If it's perfection you want --you are looking at the wrong game. Freshmen/Sophs--learn. Damaged/injured Seniors must recover to be themselves. How many games left ? Percentages are on Uconn's side.

Reaction Score
Random Thoughts...

• Early in the game we gave up way too many open looks. Don't know where our D went.
  • There is a pattern of teams punching us to start the game and us folding.
  • I think it is time to start/play the freshman. Aubrey 0-2, 6 Reb, 4 TOs. I'd like to see KK, Shade, Ice Paige and AE
  • So many unforced TOs, terrible entry passes. Ice 5 TOs
  • Texas had 24 more shots than us !!!!!!
  • We might end the year without a top 20 win given how weak the BE is. I see us as a 4 seed which makes the road to the Final 4 much more difficult.
  • This will be controversial, but I think the game is getting past Geno. The type of players we recruit and the in-game coaching. The game is getting much more athletic shot-makers vs disciplined offense

Reaction Score
I have watched UConn for 30 years. With the four injured players out, this could be the weakest team in that period. The fourth quarter was encouraging, but Paige has been completely upstaged by a guard on the other team in all three of their losses. Can one ever imagine that happening in the senior year of any of UConn’s past legends? The last run happened when she was on the bench and ended when she came back into the game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
In playing the freshmen so many minutes, Geno was playing for March today. The freshmen were terrific

Who else was he going to play? With 4 out [ ], he only had 7 bodies, 3 freshman and one semi-freshman in Brady.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I didn't like the loss. Fans shall come and with loses fans shall go. True Fan lick they wounds and move on. How can any fan blame Geno --he sits on the bench. Turnovers by inexperienced in College basketball --are learning. I've been more often than not when I say this: It is not where you are in early December it is where you are in March that matters. Wait and see. I don't expect an NC--there are some very good team this year. Elite 8, FF--that's fine with me--heck 20 wins is fine with me.
13 f the 21 TO s were by the seniors

Reaction Score
This game was a great learning experience for this team. A lesson in film study on things you don’t do , but more importantly growing from this in the fight to come back a bit. It was a home game for Texas (we don’t shy away from playing great teams) and the Huskies can grow from this and hopefully learn for February and March.

Reaction Score
Not sure why coaches are not adjusting any strategies that are occurring in the game.
We are down 15-3 before Bueckers takes her first shot, she took 5 in the first half and 11 for the game, looks to pass way too often, even when she is close to the basket.
Aubrey Griffin scored zero points, hard to win with a senior contributing so little.
Ice Brady's stayed cold, she should change her name to Steam Brady, maybe she would get hot.
Worst rebounding UConn team, ever under Geno.
Let all the freshman play way more minutes and through their mistake, this team won't get us 12.

Reaction Score

Need Paige as the glue but she needs to look for her shot more often, get the foul line etc. Would like to see the number of fouls called on each team as it seems they were very much in Texas favor.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Uconn committed 21 turnovers (Texas 9).
Texas grabbed 16 offensive rebounds (UConn 5)

The Result:

Texas took 24 more shots than UConn (68-44)

UConn made 59% of its FG attempts (Texas shot 46%)

Paige needs to be willing to take over, though it may be too soon for that. That will come.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we will be challenged many times this year and crushed by South Carolina. We should look a little better against Ball State. This game was physical and we’re just not able to handle that. Hang on to your seats folks it’s going to be a wild ride.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
We miss Azzi of course but we are also seeing what huge pieces Dorka and Lou were last season. That's the beauty of the portal. You know what you are getting right away. With freshman there has to be development. In the meantime - lots of turnovers and other mistakes.

Reaction Score
For all UConn fans, the start to this season is unprecedented, and not in a good way, as the Huskies lost their third game of the season the earliest since the 1986-87 season. So here are a few thoughts:
  • Credit to UConn for fighting to the end. It was too little too late, but it was good to see the Huskies make a minnie-run in the 4th qtr.
  • Geno is still trying to figure out his starting 5. Today Ice got the starting nod. For my money, KK has to be in the starting lineup. Her quickness, ability to penetrate and her defense are essential for this UConn team. KK was UConn’s best defender against Harmon.
  • There were some incredible no-calls today. Enough said….
  • Without the ability to spread the floor on offense, it’s a lot easier for opposing teams to defend UConn. Pack it in the paint and double Paige on all ball screens to force her to give up the ball.
  • Don’t know why we didn’t see much of Aubrey in the 2nd half, other than the fact that she struggled containing Booker, something that I would never have imagined.
  • Aaliyah had a nice scoring game, but she is simply outmanned by bigger posts on the boards. No one misses Dorka more than Aaliyah.
  • The BE season can’t start soon enough……..
I thought KK would start today. However, Ice is bigger and should have helped under the boards. She can shoot but she surely doesn't know THIS game. Uconn could spread the floor they have Ice (when she doesn't fumble), Q, Katelynn, Paige, Edwards--all are decent shooters. Defense of every WCBB team knows Uconn's game. They know the weakness of Help Defense. It is not all on Uconn. It is however on the coaching staff. Nuf Sed. Against bigger, wider posts Uconn without drilling 3's is lost. Look on the bench--generally you'd say there is depth at the post. 42,.34, 3, 25 (not a post but bigger body) little help for Edwards there.

Reaction Score
I was encouraged by the Freshman. Thought they played well. Some of you looking for Big East play to get here. Be careful on what you wish for. This team will probably lose to Marquette and Creighton.

Reaction Score
Let’s have some perspective after this “loss”

Nobody knows what to do because Paige is like the clean up hitter for us.

We are losing to the best teams in the country right now without even playing together or jelling together at all.

But once Paige goes to the bench other people start scoring.

Today was a huge lesson for UConn women’s basketball.

Let’s let the young kids play some real minutes.

UConn will be a really really really tough out by March I can assure you that.

Reaction Score
Crazy that Marquette may start the Big East season ranked higher than us.
My Huskies are built tough and I believe will be a whole lot better come tourney time. We are currently going to be a 4 to 5 seed and who wants to face us that early.
As a fan I say let's be patient as we have had the toughest schedule compared to other teams around the country and we have had a lot of valuable minutes in street clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom