UCONN-Texas Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Texas Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

• But that will only let us beat up overmatched teams and get a false sense of security
Hey that got Mulkey to the Elite 8 more times than you can count. Don't knock beating up the little guys---remember the big guys hit back harder!!

Reaction Score
I watched the lineup on the floor not work for incredibly long stretches. I was begging to see Q out there. Then what happens, he plays Q and Shade and the new look worked. I really think Geno needs to do more in game coaching. When a lineup isn’t working, try something else.

At this point we are 4-3. There needs to be an open mind to seeing what lineup works, game by game.

Reaction Score
Nobody wants to hear this, but this offense won't get better until Nika sits. For a player who is so easy to defend, she has the ball in her hands too much. I say start the freshman, Paige, AE, and play for March.

Reaction Score
Texas was more talented, aggressive and deeper than UConn but UConn’s relentless fight made it a game. The fourth quarter no call when Aaliyah was mugged probably prevented a fabulous comeback.

-Nika could not handle Rori Harmon but I am not sure there are many guards who can.

-Still waiting for Ice Brady to show the ranking she had coming out of high school. Just too many mistakes on both ends of the floor.

-Aubrey is still disappearing for long stretches. As a senior in Geno’s program, she should be way more consistent than she has shown.

-Paige’s minutes may not be a concern to many but it does me. These games don’t mean much. I wish Geno would limit her minutes more. Especially since teams are just beating her up physically.

-He doesn’t like to, but this team should probably play more zone. I think they could rebound better out of zone.

-Q must be practicing poorly but with this group Geno can afford the same patience with Q as he does with Ice.

-I think Geno needs a pep talk of his own. He seems to be understandably frustrated with the injuries but these kids need him. This means doing something he has had not had to do much over the years. Bite the bullet and let the pups go through game time growing pains.

-Still love this program because the kids never strop playing hard. Their body language even when things are going poorly, is good. Turnovers, giving up second chance baskets and scoring from others besides Edwards and Paige will improve as the year goes on.

-Encouraged by the fourth quarter run with the three freshmen on the floor and Paige on the bench.

Texas was bigger, longer, deeper, and better at every position. They played very hard and wanted this game badly. Edwards played extremely tough, got beat up but no calls from the refs, I wanted more out of Paige, but they fought hard and made it a fourth qtr game. Didn't really like Geno's substitution pattern, but he's the HC!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Refs are allowing a lot of “incidental” contact that seems to leave a lot bruises.

But the play of the freshmen is encouraging. I hope Geno gets comfortable with playing Shade and Samuels more. The talent is obvious. Arnold will certainly play a lot and she is fearless. Ice needs to learn how to box out. With her strength even though not super tall her, biggest value to this team could be defensive rebounding.

Reaction Score
I have watched UConn for 30 years. With the four injured players out, this could be the weakest team in that period. The fourth quarter was encouraging, but Paige has been completely upstaged by a guard on the other team in all three of their losses. Can one ever imagine that happening in the senior year of any of UConn’s past legends? The last run happened when she was on the bench and ended when she came back into the game.
I am a huge PB fan but agree with this point. In fairness, number of games wise this is like her sophomore year (CD made this point on a radio show last week). Additionally she is coming off injury. Nonetheless, I don't think she can be considered a top 5 player in this country at this point or comparable to Caitlin Clark right now. And 13 points against a top 10 team on the road is not going to cut it, atleast with this roster.
Random Thoughts...

• Early in the game we gave up way too many open looks. Don't know where our D went.
  • There is a pattern of teams punching us to start the game and us folding.
  • I think it is time to start/play the freshman. Aubrey 0-2, 6 Reb, 4 TOs. I'd like to see KK, Shade, Ice Paige and AE
  • So many unforced TOs, terrible entry passes. Ice 5 TOs
  • Texas had 24 more shots than us !!!!!!
  • We might end the year without a top 20 win given how weak the BE is. I see us as a 4 seed which makes the road to the Final 4 much more difficult.
  • This will be controversial, but I think the game is getting past Geno. The type of players we recruit and the in-game coaching. The game is getting much more athletic shot-makers vs disciplined offense
I agree with a lot of these points. I just hate the idea of thinking these losses don't matter because it's not March. These losses definitely matter and impact seeding. I also think finding a way to win games is a skill. They've battled in their losses but haven't really found ways to win.

Kat

Reaction Score
TX had some hot shooting in the first quarter, and they continued to put it up, often. They took 83 shots (field goals and 3s) compared to 54 for UConn. The turnover difference hurt, of course, but UConn has to shoot more. Geno will fix that.

Reaction Score
There were some good components. Edwards really gave her best effort, the Freshman changed the game for the better and gave it their all and there were some very questionable officiating moments against the Huskies.

There are so many issues to clean up though: Boxing out and actually putting a body on their players without falling over, this team passed like they haven't played with one another ever, timeouts were not effectively utilized early on, rotations and substitutions were questionable at best, Ice Brady looks more freshman than the freshman and they put a defensive forcefield around Paige Bueckers and she could not battle out of it at this point in the season.

UConn has always had trouble with small guards and Harmon did most of her damage in the first half. Tough loss but this team is soul searching so we should temper our expectations until they figure this out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

• But that will only let us beat up overmatched teams and get a false sense of security
It will also allow UConn to play their freshmen more, live with the mistakes and still have a chance to win. Unfortunately, this is not a national championship team. UConn needs to build for the future.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Positives:
  • The biggest plus was the fight. Team could have folded when they went down so big early. They kept fighting and the game was within reach with 2-3 minutes left.
  • The 3 freshmen overall did great. As alluded to by Rebecca (quoting Paige), they are fearless. They need more minutes.
  • Aaliyah Edwards played her best game of the season.
  • I saw more glimpses of good passing, especially in the second half, than in any game this season.
Problems:
  • We got killed on the offensive glass, and turnovers were a major problem. (The fact that we were still in the game despite a 16-5 deficit on the offensive glass and 21-9 in turnovers is incredible.)
  • It's not clear to me why Q didn't see the court until the second half. Maybe her practice habits aren't up to standard?
  • I generally hate complaints about the officiating, but the no-call when Edwards fell to the floor on a critical possession mattered.
  • Amari?

Reaction Score
I have watched UConn for 30 years. With the four injured players out, this could be the weakest team in that period. The fourth quarter was encouraging, but Paige has been completely upstaged by a guard on the other team in all three of their losses. Can one ever imagine that happening in the senior year of any of UConn’s past legends? The last run happened when she was on the bench and ended when she came back into the game.
35 years--What Uconn lacks is consistent 3 point shooter--with out an effective post. Free throw shooting improvement would help--make the gifts.
We are all forgetting the game has changed the speed and athletic abilities have changed. Uconn needs to stop looking for the Uconn type player and get shooter and bigs that can play--the first day on campus. It's a simple game --ball --hoop--fouls--scores--simple. stop the other guy from scoring--simple.

Reaction Score
They are playing a lot of really competitive games very early in the season. And they have a lot of freshmen on the team that they will be depending on this season. I think we sometimes underestimate how much experience and maturity matter in big games. I think they really miss Dorka and Lou more than they were expecting, especially with the injuries that they have. Not only for their talent, but for their maturity. They were both quiet leaders. I'm not seeing that on this team, at least not yet.

Reaction Score
Nobody wants to hear this, but this offense won't get better until Nika sits. For a player who is so easy to defend, she has the ball in her hands too much. I say start the freshman, Paige, AE, and play for March.
They made their last run when she was at the point guard. IMO, your take is unfounded.

Reaction Score
Paige’s minutes may not be a concern to many but it does me. These games don’t mean much. I wish Geno would limit her minutes more. Especially since teams are just beating her up physically.
Boy do I agree. Kid won't make it thru the season playing like this with so little help.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of these points. I just hate the idea of thinking these losses don't matter because it's not March. These losses definitely matter and impact seeding. I also think finding a way to win games is a skill. They've battled in their losses but haven't really found ways to win.
Exactly this. These games absolutely matter. They're not the end-all be-all but they definitely matter.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Another game where one or two opponents have the game of the season, and we for some reason cannot stem the tide.
I can't believe how many times players drove down the lane, ended up on the floor with their defender standing with their hands straight up in the air and the refs just think that the players don't know how to land. I think this had a lot to do with us not getting the lead under 6 points.

Bottom line is I was happy that this team didn't give up and made the game competitive in the 4th, no matter which 5 players were on the court. The MOV wasn't an indication of how much heart they showed in the 4th. Even though the Longhorns had a definite height advantage, we weren't out rebounded as badly as many expected.

We most likely will still be ranked in the AP Top 25, probably in the 15 - 20 range, which will be fodder for every upcoming "national" broadcast: when was the last time that UConn was ranked this low?

Reaction Score
Not sure why coaches are not adjusting any strategies that are occurring in the game.
We are down 15-3 before Bueckers takes her first shot, she took 5 in the first half and 11 for the game, looks to pass way too often, even when she is close to the basket.
Aubrey Griffin scored zero points, hard to win with a senior contributing so little.
Ice Brady's stayed cold, she should change her name to Steam Brady, maybe she would get hot.
Worst rebounding UConn team, ever under Geno.
Let all the freshman play way more minutes and through their mistake, this team won't get us 12.
Good comments--see, when i say Aubrey is not consistent enough, usually it causes a rumble. Sorry to say, but when it gets challenging, she finds a place a hide. As a senior, these are pitiful games that she is putting forward. It's sad, because when she plays her best, she is remarkable...

Reaction Score
We have pass first PGs, including Paige. It wouldn't be a problem if not for the injuries. But one of them better start scoring from the jump ball. Arnold getting to the rim and not laying the ball up was hard to watch. And...I'm convinced that the best UCONN TEAM on defense is when two or three (Arnold, Shade and Q) are on the floor. These late game pushes they have been on the floor. Ice starting tells me that Geno is playing the long game. When she's in I wouldn't have her catching the ball in the foul line area. She's skiddish right now. Post her and have Edwards play there. Hate to lose, but I still see growth.

Reaction Score
Boy do I agree. Kid won't make it thru the season playing like this with so little help.
i worry that her patellar tendinitis will get to the point where she has to shut down for a 6 weeks to heal it… she is playing thru the pain now but it has to effect her game…

Reaction Score
What is it about playing UConn that turns the other team into 5 Curry-like shooters?

My only addition is that many of the offensive rebounds UConn gave up were caused by the guards not boxing out. You could see that Nika, Q, etc. were used to getting out on the break and slow to go low on the weak side and put a body on someone. I actually think if Geno can teach them this skill Huskies would be giving up 5-7+ less offensive rebounds and 5-8 points a game.

Reaction Score
They made their last run when she was at the point guard. IMO, your take is unfounded.
They made that run with her at PG when we had a player(Dorka) that we could run the offense through at the high post. When there are absolutely no shooters or passers on the floor besides Paige, a player like Nika, who can't shoot or dribble penetrate, becomes easier to defend because she holds onto the ball too long.

Reaction Score
Azzi's injury has made Paige a prime target as there is no one else who can really score from the outside...eventually the freshmen will help alleviate that problem. The other problem is in the post, we just don't have the height to be the force we usually are. It's an up and down experience watching UConn play.
Agreed. Azzi's loss has a ripple effect as well. It's not only how many points she scores, but it is also when she scores. Imagine the energy it gives your teammates when you hit back-to-back 3's in a comeback attempt. It's a game-changer that we are missing this year, unfortunately, Team rebounding will have to be the focus as we are too small in the post, especially against the top teams. I hope to see our freshmen get more minutes as the season progresses because this will only make them better.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't like losing but I'm not upset with these losses. Many teams have looked forward to the day that they could beat UCONN. To them I say congratulations. But I am also marking these losses on my calendar and looking forward to some payback. When the time comes I will be front and center cheering our Huskies on as I have for 30+ years!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
TX had some hot shooting in the first quarter, and they continued to put it up, often. They took 83 shots (field goals and 3s) compared to 54 for UConn. The turnover difference hurt, of course, but UConn has to shoot more. Geno will fix that.
FGs include 3-pt shots. Still, Texas took 24 more shots which is not a recipe for success. Turnovers and offensive rebounds caused the differential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom