UCONN-Texas Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Texas Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As even Rebecca noted Harmon made some shots over great Nika defense, Nika also was guarding late in the game undersized and did good. Aubrey is neither good offense or consistent good defense, so she gets pulled and sits
In 2023 best coaching staff is a stretch. 20 years ago.
Late in game still close Gonzalez takes a dive as Nika is making a 3. Geno nothing.
Hoping Geno would have contested some of the odd calls but that didn't happen.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A few things . Texas had more weapons on the floor then UConn had on the floor. Our weapons were on the bench. We are and will be going through growing pains for a while. We did not play with poise today. We did not look for our shot until Paige sat down and Q came in. When Q came in she hit 2 shots and KK got things going. We erased the big Texas lead to 6 pts. Then some no calls and some ticky tac calls and no comment on those other then me mentioning them. As far as nic pickin Geno and the coaches. Well Geno and Chris have won 11 NC and set all kinds of records. Although some posters seem to think Geno has to change and he may have to adjust he would not be in this situation if we were healthy for the past 3 seasons. UConn has been hurt by injuries for 3 seasons. Thats alot.

So in todays game as bad as we looked we came back to be 6 pts down then .....well we have our own opinions on what happened in the last 2 minutes. The point is we came back and we looked good and Paige was on the bench. Texas focus today was to shut Paige down and they did and we didnt have any body who could step up and make a shot because our weapons were on the bench. She couldnt get her shot and was paralyzed with 2 defenders on her bottling her up. Texas knew knew that and they knew we had nobody to step up. If Azzi Caroline and maybe Jana were healthy they wouldnt be able to do that. When Paige came out and Q came in and hit a couple of shots everybody else got going. Texas wasnt ready for that. When UConn went on their run Texas didnt know how to respond. Maybe a little to late in the game for UConn and some late home cooking helped too. BTW no sour grapes here its what happened. however I feel when Edwards went down and no call well....... some of you will say stop cryin however it is what it is. With Paige out others stepped up.

The rest of the season will be a learning and growing lesson. We don t have our weapons. We will have to learn to live with it. This is not the team we thought we were going to have early on.

A couple of things about not getting the recruits. We have Paige Azzi and Caroline. I thought we would be in the FF every year and win at least 1 or 2 NC with them . Recruits dont want to sit the bench behind them so they go elsewhere. Another point is Geno is getting up there in age and the first question any recruit has is will Geno be there to coach me for 4 years. Depending on the answer and you can figure that one out some kids go elsewhere.

Bottom line on paper we are the number 1 or 2 team in the country. On the floor were not. Next year? Well we will see who we can put on the floor and who is healthy and effective. Dont pass blame on the players or coaches or the recruiting process. Just look at our roster and we've got it all except health.

Reaction Score
13 f the 21 TO s were by the seniors
They made their last run when she was at the point guard. IMO, your take is unfounded.
Not accurate the run came with kk having the ball in the hands and penetrating or finishing at the room
She had a very good drive with a pass to nika for a 3

Reaction Score
What a game! Hats off to Texas. They played well and Booker is going to play a huge part for Texas as they march towards Big 12 dominance and NCAA play. She is really good. They just were the better team out there today. As for our beloved Huskies. I thought they played their hearts out. I am riding with this team no matter what. They gave max effort and did not give up. The Freshies are going to be nice. They are only going to get better by just playing and playing through their mistakes and don't give up.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It could be worse. UConn lost on the road to a top 10 team by 12, 8 really because they gave up 4 points on freebie free throws by fouling to stop the clock. #3 Stanford lost to unranked Gonzaga at home, 78-96.

Stanford is the 12th top 10 team to suffer a loss this season

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A lineup I’d be interested in seeing would be KK, Paige, Quadence, Aaliyah, and Ice. Not sure how it would look but I’m curious.

Give us height, outside shooting, and some guard speed. At this point, wouldn’t hurt to try it for a couple minutes of run time.

Reaction Score
Ice should resist taking the 3 pointers for now too
I actually think just the opposite for this team to get better Someone has to be able to shoot especially the big players, such as they are teams are conceding to follow my jumpshot to our big players, which is making the impossible for the motion of things to get any back door, cuts, or anything inside unfortunately, ice has not Shotwell
This looks good and the coaches she’s a very good shooter
Right now ice is struggling to adjust to the speed of the college game. And playing against players just has big as she is and not rebounding very well
She will need to figure out how to use her size and
Strength to make up for lack of quickness

Reaction Score
I thought they begun to play as a team today. I like there starting lineup, and it needs to be with Ice with the taller teams. Ice had the freshman jitters and will relax soon or later. Against a smaller teams, yes for KK. Although KK played a lot of minutes today. KK is a little tentative and again will relax as well. - Thinking their biggest issue is still smarting from Azzi's injury.

Reaction Score
The ting that concerned was the look Amari had on her face the last few seconds of the game. Same with Brady. The last player I saw with a look similar to that was Brianna Banks in her sophomore year and she played on a NC team. The player who needs to put on the floor and let her play through her mistakes is Amari. UConn is lacking height and have a 6'5" Junior sitting on the bench. I would think she came to UConn thinking the coaches would help her improve her talent level. That has not happened. Although she scored well today, how does a player go from a third team AA to playing like Edwards has been playing this season?
Te edwards perhaps her play hasn’t been as strong this year since she went from playing with a six 550 year senior, who started on a WNBA team this year to my freshman is 6 foot three and that’s generous coming off a knee injury
Regarding Amari, I would say just go back and rewatch. The games is played in.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
UConn has fallen to three top 10 or better teams, two of the on the road and the third on a neutral site. They are a team that has to get used to new players because of injuries that have sidelined starters and some other key players. They haven't lost to teams like Gonzaga, Chattanooga, Southern Mississippi or Arkansas who were all unranked teams that beat Stanford, Mississippi State, Mississippi, and Florida State over the last few days.

Reaction Score
I'm sure I am repeating what some other have said, but it's just disappointing to see a team that had so much promise struggle like this. The bright lights to me were Edwards playing up to her junior-year standards, and the freshmen, especially Samuels. Brady made freshman mistakes, but there seems to be a ton of upside with her.

What's most disturbing to me is the defense. Okay, Texas has that player who went off for basket after basket. If that's how she plays all the time, she's got a good chance for NPOY. But too many times, they had offensive schemes that just seems to freeze UConn players in place. That has never been the case at UConn and now, it just makes the team look, well, ordinary.

I'm reminded of last year, when Ohio State arrived with a reputation of being great on defense, and UConn found out what those words meant. The Texas defense was damn good today, and this iteration of Huskies basketball has few answers except to go to Paige and Edwards. Do they not ever run plays? This team offers very few backdoor cuts., and rarely is in a position to make the extra pass to an open player.

They'll do well in the Big East this year (maybe run the table) and unless their seeding is an unlucky one, will get to the Sweet 16. Unless they improve a lot between now and then, anything after that is gravy.

Reaction Score
Nika can shoot and Nika can dribble and Nika can pass the ball as well as anyone. The problem is no one gets open under or anywhere close so she has to clear it out again. Nika wasn't open all that much either.
True she can dribble and pass but with this current
Line up she needs to get by people finish at the rim
Or kick out unfortunately, that’s not your strength

Reaction Score
Nobody wants to hear this, but this offense won't get better until Nika sits. For a player who is so easy to defend, she has the ball in her hands too much. I say start the freshman, Paige, AE, and play for March.
They need Nina's stability. I thought she played alright today, with the acceptation of that foul in the final minutes. - Their biggest issue is confidence and team chemistry and Paige has to lead at the right time.

Reaction Score
There were some good components. Edwards really gave her best effort, the Freshman changed the game for the better and gave it their all and there were some very questionable officiating moments against the Huskies.

There are so many issues to clean up though: Boxing out and actually putting a body on their players without falling over, this team passed like they haven't played with one another ever, timeouts were not effectively utilized early on, rotations and substitutions were questionable at best, Ice Brady looks more freshman than the freshman and they put a defensive forcefield around Paige Bueckers and she could not battle out of it at this point in the season.

UConn has always had trouble with small guards and Harmon did most of her damage in the first half. Tough loss but this team is soul searching so we should temper our expectations until they figure this out.
I agree with you as far as Soul searching...Alhough I felt today they had found it at times. Instead of being Paige and everyone else.

Reaction Score
A lineup I’d be interested in seeing would be KK, Paige, Quadence, Aaliyah, and Ice. Not sure how it would look but I’m curious.

Give us height, outside shooting, and some guard speed. At this point, wouldn’t hurt to try it for a couple minutes of run time
I saw things I liked...not taking about fight...but at this stage, UConn just didn't have the horses to compete against a bigger, more athletic, better scoring, more experienced team....as I had prognosticated.

All the coaching in the world is not going to make that much of a difference against significantly more gifted teams...

I was delighted that the freshman made a run with Paige on the bench...Its a formula that Geno should consider.

It would have been an interesting game with a healthy Azzi and Caroline but that's dreaming...We are what we are.

This season is going to be a completely different experience for those that grew up in the Moore/Stewie eras. There will be losses, we may even drop out of the rankings.

I expect the team to improve, perhaps a lot...but the person I'm interested in watching during this difficult
period is Geno...and how he handles adversity...It's new experience for him as much as the fanbase.
Agree with last thought
Very hard in your 39th year after all the sucess
With the expectation of being one of the top contenders for the championship to realize it’s a long shot
As u said it will be interesting

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Te edwards perhaps her play hasn’t been as strong this year since she went from playing with a six 550 year senior, who started on a WNBA team this year to my freshman is 6 foot three and that’s generous coming off a knee injury
Regarding Amari, I would say just go back and rewatch. The games is played in.
Ice did not not have a major knee surgery, she was practicing with the team end of last season. Azzi has had many major surgeries, Paige one, Caroline also.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno is still learning about his team. Now he knows.

"Their (Texas') defensive pressure was really, you know, exceptional today and their size and their length probably gave us some problems," Auriemma said. "I think when we went smaller, we gave them problems. So, I probably should have gone smaller earlier in the game."

"Our goal is to be a much better team in March than we are in November," Huskies head coach Geno Auriemma said

This may be subscription if you’ve read your allotment of free articles

Reaction Score
Giving her a minute won’t add speed to her game. Whether it is a result of her injury or not, she is very slow compared to her teammates.
She’s also taller and bigger than almost all if them.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
#3 Stanford lost to unranked Gonzaga at home, 78-96.
Game was in Spokane. Doesn't change the score, but it was on the road.

I know UConn fans don't want to hear about missing players, but it was a 4 point game at the half and Brink sat on the bench after halftime with an illness.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Not accurate the run came with kk having the ball in the hands and penetrating or finishing at the room
She had a very good drive with a pass to nika for a 3
Who was also running the offense and playing defense against Booker, Nika.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom