UConn basketball.... | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn basketball....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The most talented roster in the AAC and we finished 6th in the regular season.

That's it in a nutshell. Gibbs was misused, which hurt both his and Purvis' games. Adams was under-utilized. Hamilton asked to do too much as a sophomore. Miller was the best PF in some time, and Nolan a pretty dependable guy. Brimah an emerging shot blocker. Calhoun a veteran SG/SF with some size. The team was much worse than the sum of its parts.

Reaction Score
You said, "It's posters like you who have built this false narrative of the last 3 years being totally Kevin Ollie's fault, as if Calhoun had nothing to do with the APR ban and its effects on two years of recruiting, that the more reasonable posters find detestable." That sure sounds like you are saying the APR ban affected this year. Since last year is part of the last 3 years and all. But the cherry picking comment is hilarious. It's as if you think your screeds are so tightly written and just a couple lines are cited, you were somehow taken out of context.
The irony in his posts is palpable. It's just a bunch of long winded diatribes and examples of latching onto specific words or phrases and twisting them however he seems fit. The same thing he accuses others of doing.

Reaction Score
You said, "It's posters like you who have built this false narrative of the last 3 years being totally Kevin Ollie's fault, as if Calhoun had nothing to do with the APR ban and its effects on two years of recruiting, that the more reasonable posters find detestable." That sure sounds like you are saying the APR ban affected this year. Since last year is part of the last 3 years and all. But the cherry picking comment is hilarious. It's as if you think your screeds are so tightly written and just a couple lines are cited, you were somehow taken out of context.

Ok - I will rewrite to clarify. That will make it a wittle easier for you:

2014-2015: significantly affected by the APR ban
2015-2016: affected our senior class, which is why we had to add two grad transfers, Shonn Miller and Sterling Gibbs.
2016-2017: no excuse

Is that better for you Waquoit? Next time I promise to post twice - once for those who can follow along at a normal pace, and a second one that works for the remedial types like yourself.

Oh, and just so there is no misinterpretation a second time. Yes, that is sacarasm ;)

Reaction Score
The irony in his posts is palpable. It's just a bunch of long winded diatribes and examples of latching onto specific words or phrases and twisting them however he seems fit. The same thing he accuses others of doing.

Ok - so we take our debate off-line, I make a litany of good, well-supported points while you make none. Not a one, other than to say "We are not even talking about the same things." Even with that, I was cool with leaving it there. But now you want to come back on here and take shots?

There is no irony. I support Ollie getting a legitimate chance to turn things around after a very bad year. I do not support posters like you or Waquoit or others who find it easy to jump on someone and beat on him over, and over and over again on practically every thread when they are down and proclaim everything is bad and he is clueless or anything else you have alluded to.

Classic. Douchy maneuver. From now on, we can debate in public. I proved on your PM that I know plenty whereas you showed you know nothing. Let's leave it at that.

Reaction Score
Ok - so we take our debate off-line, I make a litany of good, well-supported points while you make none. Not a one, other than to say "We are not even talking about the same things." Even with that, I was cool with leaving it there. But now you want to come back on here and take shots?

There is no irony. I support Ollie getting a legitimate chance to turn things around after a very bad year. I do not support posters like you or Waquoit or others who find it easy to jump on someone and beat on him over, and over and over again on practically every thread when they are down and proclaim everything is bad and he is clueless or anything else you have alluded to.

Classic. Douchy maneuver. From now on, we can debate in public. I proved on your PM that I know plenty whereas you showed you know nothing. Let's leave it at that.

This guy sure is impressed with himself.

Reaction Score

I clearly pmd you asking you to inform me if you had any clue what I was talking about. And you still dont. Then you sent me paragraphs rehashing literally the same thing over and over. Nothing I said here contradicts anything I PMd you so don't act like I'm being all nice to you in private and a big meanie in public.

Reaction Score
Well impressed with himself or not he makes a lot more sense than your dream team that's for damn sure.

It's easy to make sense when you're lying or twisting people's words

Reaction Score
It's easy to make sense when you're lying or twisting people's words

What's there to twist? He's not lying just trying to let the people know who think they are sure KO will not survive and he will fail that it may not happen. Then there will be 3 posters I know who will be unhappy and fairly treated like crap by those who think otherwise. Fairly simple to me!;)

Reaction Score
What's there to twist? He's not lying just trying to let the people know who think they are sure KO will not survive and he will fail that it may not happen. Then there will be 3 posters I know who will be unhappy and fairly treated like crap by those who think otherwise. Fairly simple to me!;)
All things are subject to interpretation, whichever interpretation prevails is a function of power, not truth

Reaction Score
Well impressed with himself or not he makes a lot more sense than your dream team that's for damn sure.

Every fan of the program should expect far better than the shitshow we have witnessed over the past 3 seasons. We can't even fill out a roster anymore. Having 10 scholarship players in late May is pathetic.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I am glad that I don't overreact like some of my fellow boneyard family members and like some media heads out there. Coach KO will lead our beloved Huskies to a bounce back season where we make the NCAA tournament and get back to solid skill development and continued academic success. We will be okay, fellow boneyard family. R-E-L-A-X.

I nominate this post for the Pollyanna of the Day award. In tribute, here's a brief video. I'm not sure it's supposed to be, but it's hilarious. It reminds me of the Jets - Raiders 1968 playoff game on NBC which was pre-empted by the movie "Heidi", the day the networks first discovered you do not screw with NFL playoff football, especially in overtime.

I for one am very glad to have UConn basketball, regardless of what may happen in the future. I think we all are.

Reaction Score
All things are subject to interpretation, whichever interpretation prevails is a function of power, not truth
Every fan of the program should expect far better than the shitshow we have witnessed over the past 3 seasons. We can't even fill out a roster anymore. Having 10 scholarship players in late May is pathetic.

Any so-called fan that believes it's an actual shitshow and is that spoiled to only see it that way doesn't deserve . Pitiful from my point of view but to each their own.

Reaction Score
Any so-called fan that believes it's an actual shitshow and is that spoiled to only see it that way doesn't deserve . Pitiful from my point of view but to each their own.
I like you mau but you're way off base

Reaction Score
I like you mau but you're way off base

Same here, but nope I'm not. Been around a long time my friend, I don't "give" as easy as some of you who but that's just me.

Reaction Score
Same here, but nope I'm not. Been around a long time my friend, I don't "give" as easy as some of you who but that's just me.
I mean, you've put me in the fire Ollie camp when I'm in wait and see mode. I just don't like where the program is heading. I don't think I've lied about anything and I don't think I deserve to be called a so-called-fan for holding our coach to high standards on and off the court.

Reaction Score
I mean, you've put me in the fire Ollie camp when I'm in wait and see mode. I just don't like where the program is heading. I don't think I've lied about anything and I don't think I deserve to be called a so-called-fan for holding our coach to high standards on and off the court.

Go UCONN.....lets hope the show stops here and the men surprise us next year.......

Reaction Score

I am pretty sure any objective person views that program to be in a pretty awful place right now. If you don't, you are delusional.

I feel bad for the players. They deserve far better than the "leadership" they have received.

Reaction Score
"So-called fan"

Okay, guy. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure any objective person views that program to be in a pretty awful place right now. If you don't, you are delusional.

Yeah I've said it's in a prefect place so may times right bass. Can you even read?

Please stop with the delusional BS your just a pessimistic SOB, broken freakin record. Congrats.

C

Chief00

Chief - I realize you are the biggest Calhoun apologist on here. But it was a known fact around the program in his last few years that he paid less and less attention to details like the consequences of pushing guys like Doug Wiggins and Darius Smith out without making sure they were in good academic standing upon leaving. And the combination of the Nate Miles scandal which led to Patrick Sellers and Beau Archibald being fired, the APR tournament ban in 2013, and the negative recruiting against us because of Calhoun's career almost being at an end (all of this has been noted as fact in newspaper articles dating back to those years - do some research and look it up) absolutely hurt our recruiting up through the 2013 and 2014 seasons... not to mention the transfers that all but gutted the 2012 class.

And yet you want to say that none of that was Calhoun's fault or responsibility? That is a purely nonsensical take Chief.

By the way, saying that Calhoun was the greatest basketball program builder that we have ever seen and one of the 3 to 5 best men's college basketball coaches ever BUT that he also dropped some significant balls over his last few years that hurt our talent level and depth while also hurting our reputation as a program at the end and the first several years after his departure are not mutually exclusive. I was raised by a Navy man who had a "Captain of the ship" mentality. Knowing Calhoun and his upbringing and coaching style, he has a similar mentality. Well sorry, but he was the captain of the ship at that time.

That having been said, I will always be thankful for the amazing coach that he was, and how he helped to enrich my life and sports fandom while at UConn and for the 2 1/2 decades since. Dickie V is definitely one of the all time blowhards, but he was spot on when he called Calhoun the "Michelangelo" of men's college basketball.

Jim recruited the top HS basketball player in the country for the 2011/2012 season, so much for your theory!
So you wanted Calhoun to focus on ensuring Doug Wiggins would graduate? You got to be kidding - if ever there was a fools mission.
The guy who was responsible for academic support was Jeff Hathaway not Jim Calhoun. Jim's job was to recruit, coach and win basketball games. He did ok!

Reaction Score
Was I talking to you? LOL thanks for answering though you figured it out GUY!
If not being satisfied with 3 straight sub par seasons, 3 transfers, the decommitment of our only stud recruit, a worse recruiting class than powerhouses like Stephen F Austin, DePaul, Middle Tenn St, UTEP, & Tulsa, and not being able to get the time of day from top-100 prospects makes me a "bad fan" then so be it. And god forbid anyone believe the $3million/yr head coach be held accountable.

No one is saying to fire Ollie this very second. What people are saying is that should we have another dud season, it should be strongly considered. And the way things are looking now, that seems more likely than not.

I don't see how any of that is objectionable.

Reaction Score

Lol. His standard retort is " you're a liar!" Like a 3 year old

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom