UConn basketball.... | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn basketball....

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If not being satisfied with 3 straight sub par seasons, 3 transfers, the decommitment of our only stud recruit, a worse recruiting class than powerhouses like Stephen F Austin, DePaul, Middle Tenn St, UTEP, & Tulsa, and not being able to get the time of day from top-100 prospects makes me a "bad fan" then so be it. And god forbid anyone believe the $3million/yr head coach be held accountable.

No one is saying to fire Ollie this very second. What people are saying is that should we have another dud season, it should be strongly considered. And the way things are looking now, that seems more likely than not.

I don't see how any of that is objectionable.

Worse than SFA, Middle Tennessee, and Tulsa?

You either have no idea what you're talking about, or you're a bald-faced liar. If I were an anti-KO poster, I'd be beyond embarrassed by you.

And to think people ask me why I give negative posters a hard time - it's because sometimes they just make up BS and spout it without any disrection. What makes it worse is you guys believe every word of his just because it confirms your own biases.

Reaction Score

You either have no idea what you're talking about, or you're a bald-faced liar. If I were an anti-KO poster, I'd be beyond embarrassed by you.

And to think people ask me why I give negative posters a hard time - it's because sometimes they just make up BS and spout it without any disrection. What makes it worse is you guys believe every word of his just because it confirms your own biases.

oh and the optimists here don't just make things up to fit their narrative? when you have people here whose only reason for keeping Ollie is because he won a title, it's hard to have any sort of rational argument.

Reaction Score
If not being satisfied with 3 straight sub par seasons, 3 transfers, the decommitment of our only stud recruit, a worse recruiting class than powerhouses like Stephen F Austin, DePaul, Middle Tenn St, UTEP, & Tulsa, and not being able to get the time of day from top-100 prospects makes me a "bad fan" then so be it. And god forbid anyone believe the $3million/yr head coach be held accountable.

No one is saying to fire Ollie this very second. What people are saying is that should we have another dud season, it should be strongly considered. And the way things are looking now, that seems more likely than not.

I don't see how any of that is objectionable.

NO one said he shouldn't be held accountable and no one is giving him a pass, please read more than one sentence. You 3 stooges have your view of things and that's fine, just try to be objective and try a positive spin on something...anything you guys might actually like it if you try. Then again, maybe not.

Reaction Score
oh and the optimists here don't just make things up to fit their narrative? when you have people here whose only reason for keeping Ollie is because he won a title, it's hard to have any sort of rational argument.

Wrong he had them play for the "UCONN" other shirt after people left Calhoun, not Ollie. Do you guys even remember that, it wasn't KO they left it was Jim Calhoun. And they played their a**ses off and won 20 without anything to play for.

They with some guys JC never even played and other players he won a National Championship, yep imagine that huh? And he also won 23 games and an AAC tourney title and a NCAA tourney game which you guys prefer to call a crappy year. I mean when were you guys born in '99? Geez it's ridiculous.

Reaction Score
NO one said he shouldn't be held accountable and no one is giving him a pass, please read more than one sentence. You 3 stooges have your view of things and that's fine, just try to be objective and try a positive spin on something...anything you guys might actually like it if you try. Then again, maybe not.

Mau, you can't be both objective & put a positive spin on something.

Wrong he had them play for the "UConn" other shirt after people left Calhoun, not Ollie. Do you guys even remember that, it wasn't KO they left it was Jim Calhoun. And they played their a**ses off and won 20 without anything to play for

They with some guys JC never even played and other players he won a National Championship, yep imagine that huh? And he also won 23 games and an AAC tourney title and a NCAA tourney game which you guys prefer to call a crappy year. I mean when were you guys born in '99? Geez it's ridiculous.

23 wins and finishing 6th in the AAC is crappy for this program. It's not nearly as bad as the NIT or 15-17 but it's still bad. Since the title and divorce Ollie hasn't been the same and neither has the program. It's a pretty simple timeline.

Reaction Score
Wrong he had them play for the "UConn" other shirt after people left Calhoun, not Ollie. Do you guys even remember that, it wasn't KO they left it was Jim Calhoun. And they played their a**ses off and won 20 without anything to play for.

That's where 10 toes in originated. Alex Oriakhi, Roscoe Smith, Michael Bradley all left. Incoming class of Brimah, Samuel and Facey was underwhelming. The pessimists and complaints about Ollie went thru the roof in February. Deandre Daniels was a bust.

Funny too that a similar thing was said about the Napier, Giffey, Roscoe Smith, Olander class. Just dreadful.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Wrong he had them play for the "UConn" other shirt after people left Calhoun, not Ollie. Do you guys even remember that, it wasn't KO they left it was Jim Calhoun. And they played their a**ses off and won 20 without anything to play for.

But if one conveniently chooses to selectively ignore all of these facts, it makes it easier to support one's position that Ollie is clueless and should be coaching AAU ball.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Please point out any instances where optimists said they thought we were recruiting on a Duke/UK/Arizona level. That's the only equivalent I can think of. There are certain instances where bothsidesism is at play. This is not one of them. Literally none of the posters who are critical of KO called him out, they just egged him on.

Reaction Score
But if one conveniently chooses to selectively ignore all of these facts, it makes it easier to support one's position that Ollie is clueless and should be coaching AAU ball.
how about the fact that since the title things have gone poorly? One great year, one exceptional year, divorce, three bad years. JFC I'm trying to lead you people to water and you refuse to drink

Reaction Score
Please point out any instances where optimists said they thought we were recruiting on a Duke/UK/Arizona level. That's the only equivalent I can think of. There are certain instances where bothsidesism is at play. This is not one of them. Literally none of the posters who are critical of KO called him out, they just egged him on.
we have "optimists" here arguing that we should be satisfied with how we have played because since the title the results have been as expected.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
we have "optimists" here arguing that we should be satisfied with how we have played because since the title the results have been as expected.

Not equivalent in any way, shape, or form. Sorry.

People who believe our recruiting is worse than SFA and Middle Tennessee are simply not grounded in reality and should not be taken seriously. You can't complain about the quality of discourse and then turn an blind eye just because your expectations are as high as his.

Reaction Score
Not equivalent in any way, shape, or form. Sorry.

People who believe our recruiting is worse than SFA and Middle Tennessee are simply not grounded in reality and should not be taken seriously. You can't complain about the quality of discourse and then turn an blind eye just because your expectations are as high as his.
and strawmaster strikes again. pick the one sentence you can hone in on and just talk it to death. you should know better than to lead the folks here astray

UConnNick

Reaction Score
how about the fact that since the title things have gone poorly? One great year, one exceptional year, divorce, three bad years. JFC I'm trying to lead you people to water and you refuse to drink

Maybe some people would, but I for one am not willing to characterize the past three years as "bad". The first was clearly an under achieving season true, I'll grant you that one, but the second of those three was a finish in the top 32 teams in the country, and this most recent season is a complete wash as far as I'm concerned because John Wooden could have been coaching the team and we probably finish out about the way we did. We suffered
a horrendous number of injuries, both early and throughout the season.

I view it as two fantastic seasons, one disappointing one, one sort of neutral, average year, maybe not up to UConn standards but by no means the total disaster it's being portrayed as, and one WTF throwaway season that doesn't even count in the grand scheme of things as far as I'm concerned. What did anyone reasonably expect to happen after we lose Larrier, Gilbert and Diarra for all or virtually the entire year, and a few other players for fairly significant stretches along the rest of the way? We suited up six scholarship players for a three week period, I believe it was.

Ollie may not be the best coach in the world, and maybe he needs to be replaced sometime in the near or more distant future, I don't know. What I do know is I'm not going to throw him under the bus right now based on one subpar season out of five, in my view, keeping in mind that I don't even count the season that just ended, because again, Wooden wouldn't have done any better with what we had to work with. To argue otherwise means you have to accept that Ollie should have taken us to the NCAAs with what, six or seven scholarship players for most of the season, and we should always make it to the Sweet 16 every single year? If that's the standard, you folks are going to be in for a fair amount of disappointment, whether Ollie or anybody else is our coach.

Reaction Score
Maybe some people would, but I for one am not willing to characterize the past three years as "bad". The first was clearly an under achieving season true, I'll grant you that one, but the second of those three was a finish in the top 32 teams in the country, and this most recent season is a complete wash as far as I'm concerned because John Wooden could have been coaching the team and we probably finish out about the way we did. We suffered
a horrendous number of injuries, both early and throughout the season.

I view it as two fantastic seasons, one disappointing one, one sort of neutral, average year, maybe not up to UConn standards but by no means the total disaster it's being portrayed as, and one WTF throwaway season that doesn't even count in the grand scheme of things as far as I'm concerned. What did anyone reasonably expect to happen after we lose Larrier, Gilbert and Diarra for all or virtually the entire year, and a few other players for fairly significant stretches along the rest of the way? We suited up six scholarship players for a three week period, I believe it was.

Ollie may not be the best coach in the world, and maybe he needs to be replaced sometime in the near or more distant future, I don't know. What I do know is I'm not going to throw him under the bus right now based on one subpar season out of five, in my view, keeping in mind that I don't even count the season that just ended, because again, Wooden wouldn't have done any better with what we had to work with. To argue otherwise means you have to accept that Ollie should have taken us to the NCAAs with what, six or seven scholarship players for most of the season, and we should always make it to the Sweet 16 every single year? If that's the standard, you folks are going to be in for a fair amount of disappointment, whether Ollie or anybody else is our coach.
Have you considered that he just hasn't been the same guy over the last three seasons?

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Have you considered that he just hasn't been the same guy over the last three seasons?

Absolutely. I agree with you one hundred percent on that point. Whether it was the divorce or other factors, who knows? But that still doesn't rise to a level where I think he's only entitled to one more season and he's gone if we fail to make the NCAA Tournament next year. His first two seasons bought him the chance to turn things around. I don't know if he will or he won't, I just think he deserves the chance to. I don't see everything as being a negative right now, and even if I did, he deserves a chance to turn some of those negatives into positives. I actually think he will be here through the remainder of his contract, unless we fall completely off the radar. I'm not saying I'd be on board with that if next season is anything like this past one, but again, let's see what happens.

Reaction Score
We have people doing a Tale of Two Cities of Ollie before Napier and after Napier, before divorce and after divorce.

None of that matters, what matters is the here and now. Ollie post Napier and post Calhoun recruited players has not been good and his teams have not looked like the dominant teams we have been accustomed to seeing under Calhoun teams/players or anywhere close to that.

Ollie is a new coach again in the sense that he needs to prove to the fans and the basketball world that he can coach, win, and develop players to make the NBA again.

PS: Ollie needs to change his recruiting pitch and sales job. All I hear from potential recruits and their parents is that "he is a respectful man" and he plays through the guards. His moniker should be the tough coach, the cool coach, the winner, not the "respectful coach". His pitch needs to be I am looking for players who are tough, smart, and want to work hard to win titles and make the NBA. Come play against the best and beat the best at UCONN. Look at out history and pedigree and all the NBA players we produce. I am recruiting you because I think you can potentially join that list, etc.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Mau,
Like the way the morally inferior have hijacked your thread? Pretty much the same three complainers who hijack every thread.
We could ignore them and discuss UConn basketball. It would be novel and I'm really tired of hearing how much I love UConn's current situation.
David
PS I really like this Studfellow guy.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. I agree with you one hundred percent on that point. Whether it was the divorce or other factors, who knows? But that still doesn't rise to a level where I think he's only entitled to one more season and he's gone if we fail to make the NCAA Tournament next year. His first two seasons bought him the chance to turn things around. I don't know if he will or he won't, I just think he deserves the chance to. I don't see everything as being a negative right now, and even if I did, he deserves a chance to turn some of those negatives into positives. I actually think he will be here through the remainder of his contract, unless we fall completely off the radar. I'm not saying I'd be on board with that if next season is anything like this past one, but again, let's see what happens.

And I'm not saying we fire him if we don't make the tournament, but if we don't finish in the top half of the conference and secure a tournament bid he better have a monster 2018 class lined up and the team needs to have shown improvement throughout the year.

Reaction Score
Mau,
Like the way the morally inferior have hijacked your thread? Pretty much the same three complainers who hijack every thread.
We could ignore them and discuss UConn basketball. It would be novel and I'm really tired of hearing how much I love UConn's current situation.
David
PS I really like this Studfellow guy.
I think calling someone morally inferior because they are mad our basketball coach doesn't have "ten toes in" is a pretty good indicator of what kind of person you are.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think calling someone morally inferior because they are mad our basketball coach doesn't have "ten toes in" is a pretty good indicator of what kind of person you are.

Just paraphrasing you guys. It was a joke. My morals are pretty good though.
I appreciate your above statement on what is acceptable for next year. One of the other guys insisted on the sweet 16 above. That is crazy given we have 2 guys with any experience playing for UConn

Reaction Score

Yeah dude, I just pulled those schools out of thin air...

UConn #76
Stephen F Austin #74
Depaul #73
Mid Tenn St. #72
UTEP #70
Tulsa #67

2017 Basketball Recruiting Composite Team Rankings

You're a clown.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors