UConn basketball.... | The Boneyard

UConn basketball....

Reaction Score
Okay we lost another. Once again people lining up on the ledge because our beloved program is in shambles and considering who we were, I would agree it's making a move in the wrong direction. For whatever reason you choose, losing season - coaching not impacting players - firing an assistant, it's not glamorous to be on the Husky bandwagon. Good news is I believe there are still plenty of thick skinned fans preparing for next season with hopes that with their backs to the wall these kids are fighting to bring back the glory days or whatever form of those days they can muster up. Yeah I'm stunned we don't have Sidney Wilson coming here to play and it would seem so is the staff and the "sources." A loss is a loss in recruiting I guess but I think that everyone did their damnedest in this fight but family and geography won out. I even have a gut feeling that Sidney Wilson may be wondering what he did at 6:30 last evening as he wakes up today. And can we stop with the "if we don't get Waters" crap, who cares?

Anyway they need to win games, they need to become UConn again and the task won't be easy. It's possible but the question marks surrounding the roster need to be made into "UConn kids" who fight for everything and beat the odds. We've seen it before and it will happen again. For KO I'm afraid it has to happen this coming year and as a fan I am hoping like hell he can make it happen. If all the kids stay healthy for the most part it's on KO to bring winning back somehow or the face of UConn basketball could change forever. I mean they can bring in a coach from somewhere else in a year, 2 years and he can win a little, but would it be the same without the family of JC being the leaders? I find it hard to envision but crazier things have happened.

Back to the wall, well KO has been there before I for one won't jump off his bandwagon like some of you jamokes and for the sake of what I know as UConn basketball I'm hoping he fights just like he did for his career day in day out. Next year could make or break who we are and who we were, it's starting to become obvious.

Reaction Score
It's really simple... We need to have a serious bounce back year and all of the positives we've heard in regards to KO's renewed energy and verve, the Chill and Kill effect, and the new S&C guy need to come to fruition. On paper, we have four very good players in Jalen, Alterique, Larrier, and CV. Those four guys have to carry the load and I believe they are talented enough to make this an NCAA team next year. Anderson, again, on paper, is a very good fourth guard. The key will be one or two of the other guys stepping up and being better than we anticipate. I believe that at least one of Cobb, Diarra, Carlton, Whaley, or Polley is going to be better than we anticipate. Optimism, maybe, delusional, maybe...

The second part, and sadly, this is the part that worries me the most, is if KO can actually coach this team up. If we broke down KOs five years here:

2013 - Great coaching job with a depleted roster
2014 - Incredible postseason run after a very inconsistent regular season. If we want to play the hypothetical game, if Amida does not for a brief moment develop great hands and coordination, KO might be gone.
2015 - Very inconsistent, disappointing year.
2016 - Great postseason run (with a major save by Jalen) and a very inconsistent year. Through the first 5-6 games (up until halftime of Michigan game) we looked like a final-four caliber squad.
2017 - Depleted roster, dissension, and questionable coaching.

It's not the best resume. KO has to recover that passion and bring some innovation to his game planning. We know he has the ability to coach; he out-coached in succession Jay Wright, Hoiberg, Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan, and Cal... But we have not played with anywhere near that precision or intensity since. Yes, players have a lot to do with it. But so does the coach.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Its even more simple than wins and losses. Its a fanbase, an older fanbase, who has to temper expectations. Unfortunately, this is the new UConn reality. The program of the past 25 years is no longer.
I'm not sure what this means. At 51, I'm guessing I would be considered among the "older fanbase." I started as a student when we were the Big East doormat under Perno and was there when we hired JC. Been along for the ride all along and have derived more happiness from UConn basketball than I ever thought possible.

I'm not about to stop caring or lower expectations. I'm just going to hope for the best and root for my team, as always. But I am thankful that I have a lot more things in life from which I derive happiness, because it is those who don't who seem to act like they deserve better.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I think the above posts have a proper blend of hopefulness and caution. Ollie isn't Calhoun at this point, and it would be extraordinary if he ever were. The things he needs to do most this year are to develop his players' individual skills, and to understand how to use those individual skills in the team concept. Who can hit an open 15 footer? If you've got a guy with a killer crossover, how does your offense create space so he can use that? Can your big guy pick and pop? Can he pick and roll? Can he finish through contact? Can you draw the defense to the perimeter opening up an alley oop or a dump down? Who are the guys who can reliably stick an open 3? And how can we get those for them?

This isn't the NBA, guys don't show up ready in all those areas. I think if Ollie can find answers in the players he has - and there is potential - we will see a much better product on the court. If not, well, the Boneyard will let him know.

As for the team as constructed, I like it. I'd like it even more with Wilson. But I believe Polley, Whaley, Diarra all will be big contributors, adding to the solid guard group and Larrier. Carlton and Cobb can play, too. But all need to develop the individual skills - starting with knocking down open shots.

Reaction Score
The UConn brand has taken a far bigger hit than any of us could have imagined being in the aac directional league. I've been a big proponent of waiting it out for a P5 offer, but it's been 5 years and it's not happening. I don't care where the hell the football program goes or if it's cut just put hoops back in the Big east where it belongs.

Reaction Score
It's really simple... We need to have a serious bounce back year and all of the positives we've heard in regards to KO's renewed energy and verve, the Chill and Kill effect, and the new S&C guy need to come to fruition. On paper, we have four very good players in Jalen, Alterique, Larrier, and CV. Those four guys have to carry the load and I believe they are talented enough to make this an NCAA team next year. Anderson, again, on paper, is a very good fourth guard. The key will be one or two of the other guys stepping up and being better than we anticipate. I believe that at least one of Cobb, Diarra, Carlton, Whaley, or Polley is going to be better than we anticipate. Optimism, maybe, delusional, maybe...

The second part, and sadly, this is the part that worries me the most, is if KO can actually coach this team up. If we broke down KOs five years here:

2013 - Great coaching job with a depleted roster
2014 - Incredible postseason run after a very inconsistent regular season. If we want to play the hypothetical game, if Amida does not for a brief moment develop great hands and coordination, KO might be gone.
2015 - Very inconsistent, disappointing year.
2016 - Great postseason run (with a major save by Jalen) and a very inconsistent year. Through the first 5-6 games (up until halftime of Michigan game) we looked like a final-four caliber squad.
2017 - Depleted roster, dissension, and questionable coaching.

It's not the best resume. KO has to recover that passion and bring some innovation to his game planning. We know he has the ability to coach; he out-coached in succession Jay Wright, Hoiberg, Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan, and Cal... But we have not played with anywhere near that precision or intensity since. Yes, players have a lot to do with it. But so does the coach.

Two best posts on the Boneyard that I've seen in ages, both posted by people that have been here for many, many years. Although I think Mau read those tea leaves wrong. The kid and his father in direct quotes pointed to st. John's, which is why I wasn't shocked.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what this means. At 51, I'm guessing I would be considered among the "older fanbase." I started as a student when we were the Big East doormat under Perno and was there when we hired JC. Been along for the ride all along and have derived more happiness from UConn basketball than I ever thought possible.

I'm not about to stop caring or lower expectations. I'm just going to hope for the best and root for my team, as always. But I am thankful that I have a lot more things in life from which I derive happiness, because it is those who don't who seem to act like they deserve better.

Well said. All of this applies to me as well (well I'll be 51 in September). On top of that, I've got Kansas. It's a pretty solid backup team. But I really do want my Huskies back.

Reaction Score
The UConn brand has taken a far bigger hit than any of us could have imagined being in the aac directional league. I've been a big proponent of waiting it out for a P5 offer, but it's been 5 years and it's not happening. I don't care where the hell the football program goes or if it's cut just put hoops back in the Big east where it belongs.
I hate when people bring this up. It surely hasn't hurt Cincy or SMU. What it boils down to is having a coach that can build and sustain a program no matter the league. Right now we aren't sure we have the right guy. KO has this year to prove himself.

Reaction Score
The simple fact is that the American Athletic Association is trivalizing UConn men's basketball.

The longer our beloved basketball program stays in the AAC the more pedestrian it becomes.

I do not know if there is an easy solution but I do know that if not remedied the star power of UConn men's basketball will be on par with it's AAC co-members.

By remaining in the AAC, UConn is sacrificing its men's basketball for the illusion of possible membership in the ACC.

I formerly scoffed at the new Big East but after the past 2 seasons I believe that are mutual interests that should cause David Benedict and the Big East to have a conversation.

Reaction Score

Rah Rah Rah. Good for you, and that is fine as long as people are ok with a roster of 3 star recruits, the occassional tournement, below average attendance, and a few games above .500 record. All I am saying is that is not the UConn of the last 25+ years. Besides that, I cannot express how over joyed I am for you that you derive happiness from things outside of UConn basketball. My guess is you are the only one who does.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what this means. At 51, I'm guessing I would be considered among the "older fanbase." I started as a student when we were the Big East doormat under Perno and was there when we hired JC. Been
along for the ride all along and have derived more happiness from UConn basketball than I ever thought possible.

I too have been along for the ride but am a little older than you, 59. Started with the Huskies in late 70's. Will be there till I die. Lots if wonderful memories esp the 2014 NC, the last game my husband and I saw together before he died. Thanks to KO.

Reaction Score
The simple fact is that the American Athletic Association is trivalizing UConn men's basketball.

No, it isn't. As someone right above you pointed out, Cinci and SMU. Conference may be a small factor but it isn't some massive albatross and it never will be, no matter how many times people say it is.

In the same way, the Big East isn't some major draw to top recruits. We have the P5, not some fictious P6 or P5+. People made that up to explain why we suck and Nova doesn't. Besides Nova, how do people explain Gonzaga? Do we have a P7 now?

The real reason why Cinci, SMU, Nova and Gonzaga win as much as they do is coaching. A great coach can win from within any conference. You can win more consistently and have a better shot of winning it all if you are in a P5 conference but you can still win from within a non-P5 conference and you can still get to the final four and you can still even win a championship. The Big East was not P5 before Nova won it all and still isn't, period. Coaching matters.

Reaction Score
No, it isn't. As someone right above you pointed out, Cinci and SMU. Conference may be a small factor but it isn't some massive albatross and it never will be, no matter how many times people say i

In the same way, the Big East isn't some major draw to top recruits. We have the P5, not some fictious P6 or P5+. People made that up to explain why we suck and Nova doesn't. Besides Nova, how do people explain Gonzaga? Do we have a P7 now?

The real reason why Cinci, SMU, Nova and Gonzaga win as much as they do is coaching. A great coach can win from within any conference. You can win more consistently and have a better shot of winning it all if you are in a P5 conference but you can still win from within a non-P5 conference and you can still get to the final four and you can still even win a championship. The Big East was not P5 before Nova won it all and still isn't, period. Coaching matters.

You guys and your "Cinci and SMU" spew. What have they won? They've won more games than us in the AAC yep no doubt but what have they done with it seriously, what? They win nothing else so what does that tell you about how they are able to sustain from this conference, they can't beat anyone outside of it when it counts. Does it say much for us at this point,no it doesn't but to actually believe they've accomplished anything is ridiculous. Our expectations are what they because of what we've accomplished, they haven't sniffed anything that UConn has.

By the way "great coaches" probably win NC's too, but yeah you're right Mick and the new guy at SMU are on track. I mean look at those great runs on the NCAA tourney LOL

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Yeah. While the AAC isn't the ACC or even the Big East, it's not a terrible conference. Cincy and SMU are doing just fine. I'm sure Wichita State will be just fine. The problem is that we're not even winning the AAC. So far we have finished tied for 3rd, tied for 5th, 6th, and tied for 5th. The problem isn't being in the AAC but rather hanging out in the middle of the standings for it. Sure, it's tougher to recruit in the AAC, but more wins would do a lot to alleviate those concerns. If we were consistently in the top 3 at least with a shot at winning the conference, then that would be respectable. The problem is that we've struggled against not just the top teams in the conference but the middle teams as well. It seems like Ollie hasn't been the same since the divorce. Maybe being in a tough situation and having some coaching changes will mix things up and ignite a fire under him, but only time will tell.

Don't get me wrong though. If the Big XII or ACC comes calling, please pick up the phone.

Reaction Score
Okay we lost another. Once again people lining up on the ledge because our beloved program is in shambles and considering who we were, I would agree it's making a move in the wrong direction. For whatever reason you choose, losing season - coaching not impacting players - firing an assistant, it's not glamorous to be on the Husky bandwagon. Good news is I believe there are still plenty of thick skinned fans preparing for next season with hopes that with their backs to the wall these kids are fighting to bring back the glory days or whatever form of those days they can muster up. Yeah I'm stunned we don't have Sidney Wilson coming here to play and it would seem so is the staff and the "sources." A loss is a loss in recruiting I guess but I think that everyone did their damnedest in this fight but family and geography won out. I even have a gut feeling that Sidney Wilson may be wondering what he did at 6:30 last evening as he wakes up today. And can we stop with the "if we don't get Waters" crap, who cares?

Anyway they need to win games, they need to become UConn again and the task won't be easy. It's possible but the question marks surrounding the roster need to be made into "UConn kids" who fight for everything and beat the odds. We've seen it before and it will happen again. For KO I'm afraid it has to happen this coming year and as a fan I am hoping like hell he can make it happen. If all the kids stay healthy for the most part it's on KO to bring winning back somehow or the face of UConn basketball could change forever. I mean they can bring in a coach from somewhere else in a year, 2 years and he can win a little, but would it be the same without the family of JC being the leaders? I find it hard to envision but crazier things have happened.

Back to the wall, well KO has been there before I for one won't jump off his bandwagon like some of you jamokes and for the sake of what I know as UConn basketball I'm hoping he fights just like he did for his career day in day out. Next year could make or break who we are and who we were, it's starting to become obvious.
Excellent post. We didn't "lose" Wilson because we never had him.

Reaction Score
You guys and your "Cinci and SMU" spew. What have they won? They've won more games than us in the AAC yep no doubt but what have they done with it seriously, what? They win nothing else so what does that tell you about how they are able to sustain from this conference, they can't beat anyone outside of it when it counts. Does it say much for us at this point,no it doesn't but to actually believe they've accomplished anything is ridiculous. Our expectations are what they because of what we've accomplished, they haven't sniffed anything that UConn has.

By the way "great coaches" probably win NC's too, but yeah you're right Mick and the new guy at SMU are on track. I mean look at those great runs on the NCAA tourney LOL

They have both increased their perception and their performance in this crappy league. We also see schools like PC and Seton Hall improve their perception and performance by membership in a worse league. We should be like Memphis under Cal was right now but we are not and there are a lot of reasons why. The league doesn't help us, thats for sure, but it shouldn't be a death knell.

Reaction Score
I hate when people bring this up. It surely hasn't hurt Cincy or SMU. What it boils down to is having a coach that can build and sustain a program no matter the league. Right now we aren't sure we have the right guy. KO has this year to prove himself.

He has more than this year.

And maybe when SMU and Cincy advance to the second weekend, I'll pay more attention.

Reaction Score
They have both increased their perception and their performance in this crappy league. We also see schools like PC and Seton Hall improve their perception and performance by membership in a worse league. We should be like Memphis under Cal was right now but we are not and there are a lot of reasons why. The league doesn't help us, thats for sure, but it shouldn't be a death knell.

SMU was coming from a crappier league, so they increased performance. Cincy though has increased performance? They haven't advanced very far in the NCAAs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom