UConn basketball.... | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn basketball....

Reaction Score
Funny too that a similar thing was said about the Napier, Giffey, Roscoe Smith, Olander class. Just dreadful.
Who was ragging on the 2010 recruits? They were a top-25 class.

Reaction Score
Gee, I know I don't post too often but I thought the quality of my posts made up for it.

My father thinks I should move to another message where I will be used correctly
Hey i didnt put myself on 1st team!! I have 10 toes in....do you?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yeah dude, I just pulled those schools out of thin air...

UConn #76
Stephen F Austin #74
Depaul #73
Mid Tenn St. #72
UTEP #70
Tulsa #67

2017 Basketball Recruiting Composite Team Rankings

You're a clown.

Why am I surprised you chose to use rankings that are absolute horse dung? Come on man, do your research.

SFA has one HS recruit in the Top 350. I have no idea why one JUCO PG puts them ahead of us. DePaul has only one commit in the Top 200 as well. Neither of UTEP's freshman are even Top 300, 247 just weights their JUCO commit way too heavily.

Furthermore, 247 has the lowest rankings for Polley and Whaley out of any of the major services. Polley is a 4-star player on 2 out of the 3 (ESPN and TOS). Why is he given only 3 here?

The kicker is that they don't even have Cobb listed as a commit. Given how much undue weight they put on JUCO players, you'd have to be deranged to think that factoring him in doesn't push us way ahead of these schools. Either way, you can't take any rankings seriously that don't include the full class. Even if you don't think Cobb moves the needle, which -- if you pay any attention to how 247 values ranked JUCO players in their rankings -- is clearly not the case.

Some other gems from the 247 list: South Dakota State is ranked ahead of Notre Dame. You're telling me you'd take SDSU's class of low-major kids over D.J. Harvey? 247 thinks quantity measures a lot more than quality. I don't give a crap if UTEP handed out scholarships to 6 kids with only mid-majors offers, and we only beat out legit competition (Polley-Pitt, OK State, Tennessee, Dayton, Carlton-Clemson and Xavier, Cobb-Texas Tech) for 3. Our class is still better.

Bottom line, you saw information that confirmed your emotionally motivated bias, applied zero critical thinking, and ran with it. Now you know how disingenuous you are. Do better next time and actually bring something to the table.

Reaction Score
Why am I surprised you chose to use rankings that are absolute horse dung? Come on man, do your research.

SFA has one HS recruit in the Top 350. I have no idea why one JUCO PG puts them ahead of us. DePaul has only one commit in the Top 200 as well. Neither of UTEP's freshman are even Top 300, 247 just weights their JUCO commit way too heavily.

Furthermore, 247 has the lowest rankings for Polley and Whaley out of any of the major services. Polley is a 4-star player on 2 out of the 3 (ESPN and TOS). Why is he given only 3 here?

The kicker is that they don't even have Cobb listed as a commit. Given how much undue weight they put on JUCO players, you'd have to be deranged to think that factoring him in doesn't push us way ahead of these schools. Either way, you can't take any rankings seriously that don't include the full class. Even if you don't think Cobb moves the needle, which -- if you pay any attention to how 247 values ranked JUCO players in their rankings -- is clearly not the case.

Some other gems from the 247 list: South Dakota State is ranked ahead of Notre Dame. You're telling me you'd take SDSU's class of low-major kids over D.J. Harvey? 247 thinks quantity measures a lot more than quality. I don't give a crap if UTEP handed out scholarships to 6 kids with only mid-majors offers, and we only beat out legit competition (Polley-Pitt, OK State, Tennessee, Dayton, Carlton-Clemson and Xavier, Cobb-Texas Tech) for 3. Our class is still better.

Bottom line, you saw information that confirmed your emotionally motivated bias, applied zero critical thinking, and ran with it. Now you know how disingenuous you are. Do better next time and actually bring something to the table.
you can disagree with the rankings, but the 247 composite is the most referred to class rank

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
you can disagree with the rankings, but the 247 composite is the most referred to class rank

It may be. For the reasons outlined above, I don't think it should -- unless someone can reasonably refute any of the flaws I pointed out.

Reaction Score

Actually, bottom line is you called me a liar and I cited my source. Nice try though.

We're so far down the rankings you can't even find our class on ESPN, TOS, USA Today, etc.

I have no interest in your personal evaluations.

Move along now.

Reaction Score
It may be. For the reasons outlined above, I don't think it should -- unless someone can reasonably refute any of the flaws I pointed out.
the flaw is that we're not even in the top 50 and that's not 247's fault lol

Reaction Score
Who was ragging on the 2010 recruits? They were a top-25 class.

I hope you're joking. The Napier class was vilified on here. Not that I thought it was a good class myself. The talk on here was that it was the worst big class in decades. (i.e. we weren't comparing it to Donnell Beverly).

Olander, Bradley, Giffey--did nothing for people. Napier was going to be an OK Austrie type. We were thrilled Roscoe Smith verballed, because otherwise, coming off that 2010 season with that 2011 incoming class, we were expecting the absolute worst.

Reaction Score
Mau,
Like the way the morally inferior have hijacked your thread? Pretty much the same three complainers who hijack every thread.
We could ignore them and discuss UConn basketball. It would be novel and I'm really tired of hearing how much I love UConn's current situation.
David
PS I really like this Studfellow guy.

They're not worth the time any more David76. People who enjoy to pounce on the negative and never waiver amaze me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They're not worth the time any more David76. People who enjoy to pounce on the negative and never waiver amaze me.
I think it's nice that you've made new friends.

Reaction Score

A simple, I was wrong and you were right would suffice. now we're arguing the merits of a national ranking service

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
A simple, I was wrong and you were right would suffice. now we're arguing the merits of a national ranking service

He's using faulty information to claim that he's right. Or are you gonna tell me you'd rather have Stephen F. Austin's incoming class than the one we have now?

Reaction Score
He's using faulty information to claim that he's right. Or are you gonna tell me you'd rather have Stephen F. Austin's incoming class than the one we have now?

Yeah but you're calling him a bald-faced liar. This was your quote "You either have no idea what you're talking about, or you're a bald-faced liar. If I were an anti-KO poster, I'd be beyond embarrassed by you. "

He then provide you with written proof of a nationally recognized ranking service. Come on dude at least apologize for calling him a bald-faced liar

Reaction Score
I hope you're joking. The Napier class was vilified on here. Not that I thought it was a good class myself. The talk on here was that it was the worst big class in decades. (i.e. we weren't comparing it to Donnell Beverly).

Olander, Bradley, Giffey--did nothing for people. Napier was going to be an OK Austrie type. We were thrilled Roscoe Smith verballed, because otherwise, coming off that 2010 season with that 2011 incoming class, we were expecting the absolute worst.
Some were upset because we were involved with Knight, Selby, Joseph, and Irving at point guard and we also struck out on CJ Leslie and Doron Lamb. Napier reclassified and didn't have their reps but he had a major rep as a scorer and was around 60th in the class once he reclassified. It was a strange class because Bazz and Olander were reclassifications, Giffey was overseas (would have been top 100 if he played in the states) and we gave Bradley a scholly based off of a game he played against Drummond. Roscoe had a major rep and was like 30th in the country. Jeremy Lamb was a major late riser and was top 100 in the country.

I was excited about Roscoe, Giffey, and Napier, I also thought Olander would be better than he turned out to be.

That class had way more acclaim than this class, not at all in the same stratosphere. Only comparison is we missed out on some of the top guys and had to got down the list a bit. 2010 we went a little bit down the list, this year we have gone all the way down to the bottom of the list. Not in any way comparable classes or situations.

Reaction Score

Eh, I don't think the perception was nearly as bad as you're making to out to be. Roscoe was a top 35 player, and you're neglecting to even mention Lamb, who was ranked around 70 but was fast rising and thought to be extremely underrated (which proved to be accurate). Napier was ranked around 60 in the 2012 class and then reclassified, so it's tough to say where he would've been in 2011, but my recollection is the expectations were much higher than an "Austrie type" (again, proved to be true). Niels was a foreign player so wasn't ranked but Fran Frischilla was quoted as saying he'd be a top 100 player if he was ranked. Even Mike Bradley checked in at #100 in Scout's rankings. So we basically had 4-5 top 100 players in the class as well as a local kid (Olander) and a foreign project with upside (Wolf). I'd give my left nut....hell, both my nuts...for that right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom