UConn basketball.... | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn basketball....

Reaction Score
I think upstater's point is it has sometimes been darkest just before the dawn in past UConn basketball history. Just when we think it's all going down the tubes for the foreseeable future, we have a team come along that totally refutes that mindset. Maybe that could be next season's team and maybe it won't be, but the point is well taken.

We can't just assume that's going to happen, though. We have been incredibly lucky at points and just because we're UConn it doesn't mean we're immune to reality and probabilities.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
We can't just assume that's going to happen, though. We have been incredibly lucky at points and just because we're UConn it doesn't mean we're immune to reality and probabilities.

No, that's true, and I seriously doubt there are a whole bunch of UConn fans predicting next season's team will win 25 games and be a lock for the NCAAs. I certainly am not. But you mentioned the word probabilities, and on that basis, we've been to five Final Fours in 18 seasons and we won four of them, while being denied the opportunity to play for the fifth at full strength because Dyson got injured. As far as luck is concerned, one or possibly two FF trips might be attributable to some degree of luck. It could also be argued that almost any team had to have luck at some point along the way on any FF run. However, five trips in 18 years cannot be completely explained away by luck. That's a trend. Whether or not that trend continues is problematic, but we'd be on schedule if we made another appearance sometime before the end of this decade, since we've been on average four to five years in between trips. Don't everybody go nuts and call this a prediction because it's not, but if we fail to make it again on that timetable, then I think it will be fair to say we may be on a semi-permanent downward spiral. To some extent, we've become victims of the huge expectations brought on by a lengthy period of mostly great successes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Of course we cannot assume... But we also cannot assume that the whole thing is going to blow up either. The cupboard is not that bare.

But that's part of the fun, no? I've already read people say, and I'm paraphrasing, that it is going to be incredibly unlikely that things will change next year. But how do we know? Why not play the year out before shutting the door on the season and a coaches tenure? Things were definitely trending down; that's obvious. But I'm very optimistic that some needed changes have been made; both in terms of personnel and staff. I'm begging KO to find that fire again. If it's a rededication, then do it. But I'll take a 2014 KO versus someone else. Give me that guy, and I'm all in (I refuse to say ten toes in).

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
PS - I'm imagining that the above posts will not succeed as I would hope. I predict they'll be misinterpreted or mischaracterized.
That's a pretty safe bet. Misinterpreting what is written seems to be a board specialty right about now.

Reaction Score
Of course we cannot assume... But we also cannot assume that the whole thing is going to blow up either. The cupboard is not that bare.

But that's part of the fun, no? I've already read people say, and I'm paraphrasing, that it is going to be incredibly unlikely that things will change next year. But how do we know? Why not play the year out before shutting the door on the season and a coaches tenure? Things were definitely trending down; that's obvious. But I'm very optimistic that some needed changes have been made; both in terms of personnel and staff. I'm begging KO to find that fire again. If it's a rededication, then do it. But I'll take a 2014 KO versus someone else. Give me that guy, and I'm all in (I refuse to say ten toes in).
Tons of unknowns for next season but if it all clicks we could be pretty good, the scary thing is the next season. Ollie and Chillious simply have to bring in a really good class, their jobs depend on it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Would all people who believe that "Ollie is clueless and should be coaching AAU ball" please Like this post.
Don't be shy.
Don't be snarky.
We need clarity to come together yada yada yada.

You've ignored most of the people who'd like the post...

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You've ignored most of the people who'd like the post...
Likely so, but I'm seeing some discussion across the aisle, which affirms the notion that the gap isn't unbridgeable. It's indisputable that nobody knows what's going to happen on the court next season until it happens. In that way, it's all just a game if rock-paper-scissors whenever someone expresses their comparative certainty against one other, only to inspire someone else to point out an argument's fatal flaw.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom