U19 Women's World Cup | Page 5 | The Boneyard

U19 Women's World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hopefully Edwards feels the love (who else flew around the globe to see her play)

There's gotta be other schools there, there always are. Now whether they are there for Canada or another country's players, I do not know. But only one school watching Edwards would be shocking.

Reaction Score
Spent the day watching U19 FIBA, concentrating on Paige. Looks like we got a good one. As disorganized as this team was (they acted like it was a pick up game, put that down to Jeff’s coaching or maybe rotating that many players destroys continuity), Paige was disruptive upon defense and passed well, scoring when needed. If I were a college coach, of all the players on the floor, I would pick her, though Boston had her moments. Mostly I’m glad I figured out how to watch games on big screen tv without breaking a sweat.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Canada won its Round of 16 game over Argentina 82-50.

Aaliyah Edwards had 14 points and 11 rebounds.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The US and Germany in a tight, defensive battle at the half: US up 40-33. Threes keeping Germany in the game but they aren't hitting anything else. Bueckers has been efficient and made a couple of terrific passes--I think she got short-changed an assist--but picked up a bad second foul and had to sit the last five minutes of the half.

The US could really use another wing or two. Someone who can shoot and makes plays on offense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The US and Germany in a tight, defensive battle at the half: US up 40-33. Threes keeping Germany in the game but they aren't hitting anything else. Bueckers has been efficient and made a couple of terrific passes--I think she got short-changed an assist--but picked up a bad second foul and had to sit the last five minutes of the half.

The US could really use another wing or two. Someone who can shoot and makes plays on offense.

It seems the youtube stream is not working and all I am getting is a very low quality facebook stream

Is everyone having these issues?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It seems the youtube stream is not working and all I am getting is a very low quality facebook stream

Is everyone having these issues?

Yes, all streams tonight have been on Facebook only.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Bueckers called for a highly questionable third foul early in the 2nd half and has to sit.

We'll see what the US is made of with her out.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Too bad the #1 recruit in the 2019 class wasn't a wing who could shoot from outside and also make plays. Jones would have been totally unhelpful in that role...

Should've switched her in for Brink who looks overmatched and just sits.

Diamond Miller hasn't seen the floor in this game and has been a non-factor in the tourney as well. Walz mostly relying on 7/8 players.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Should've switched her in for Brink who looks overmatched and just sits.

Diamond Miller hasn't seen the floor in this game and has been a non-factor in the tourney as well. Walz mostly relying on 7/8 players.

On the positive side, Celeste Taylor looking very good. Lead out to 52-39.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Paige gets back in late in the third, makes two big plays: a driving layup off glass and an excellent pass to Boston for a basket.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith's lack of recognition of where the ball should be delivered and when makes me think she won't be a PG at the next level.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Americans win 79-61

Bueckers finished with 13 points, 5 assists, and 5 steals

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith's lack of recognition of where the ball should be delivered and when makes me think she won't be a PG at the next level.

0 assists / 5 TO's uurgh.

Also, Howard did not have a good game. 0-5 from 3.

On the other hand, besides Paige, Belebi continues her assault on gravity. One
extra terrestrial block (Stewie like) near the end of game comes to mind.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice little clip of the USA team just prior to leaving for the tournament.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Here's the post-game release from USA Basketball site:
USA U19 Women Down Germany 79-61

A few thoughts to add to those already mentioned:
- Caitlin Clark went two from two from three-point land, the only U.S. player to hit a three. Granted, the U.S. only took 12 attempts and and Howard was 0-5.
- Celeste Taylor's fine play in this game underscores why she gets chosen for these squads: fundamentally solid, good head on her shoulders and a half-step faster than you think. Solid player.
- I'm still a bit perplexed (envious?) on how a girl from Long Island Lutheran ends up in Austin, Texas. Yes, I've heard Coach Aston is both persistent and persuasive on the phone and Austin is Austin. But I wonder, even worry, how the recent performances of the Longhorns will affect her growth. On the other hand, perhaps her excellence and ability to make everyone play well will rub off. Stay tuned on that front.

Reaction Score
Looked at the boxscore and was shocked to see Aliyah Boston’s +/- was -2, the only player with a negative one. Egbo, Taylor, and Van Lith all had the highest.

Expected more from Bessoir. Not sure what the outcome would’ve been if they had Nyara Sabally, but then again, a lot of good players the US doesn’t have too.

Reaction Score

Maybe not. I hear that Baylor is recruiting both Hailey Van Lith and Sarah Andrews hard. I'm still hoping Andrews will pick Texas - Andrews is much more advanced in the art of ball delivery.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I read that Walz is trying to sell Andrews on becoming the next Asia Durr.

Reaction Score
Tournament hasn’t helped Hailey Van Lith increase her recruiting stock given her play against other top players but she has an athletic body and hopefully will improve with good coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom