U19 Women's World Cup | The Boneyard

U19 Women's World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The U19 World Cup begins today, or technically after midnight in half the US. A double-digit time difference means you'll have to stay up late to watch the early games live.

The first game for Paige Bueckers and the USA against Australia begins at 1:15 AM Eastern Saturday:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2020 UConn target Aaliyah Edwards and Canada will play their first game at the same time as the Americans (1:00 AM Eastern), but the games will be archived so watch anytime.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Any chance these games might be televised?
Cast them to your TV to get a larger picture that you may enjoy. Or connect your PC via HDMI cable to the TV. If you have never done it, try it beforehand. It is really easier than you might think. Hope you enjoy the games.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
For those who haven't seen the games yet--probably everyone--there will be a recap (spoilers) in the next post.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The US won their first game 79-56 over Australia, methodically pulling away after a tight game through the 1st half. Not the best half-court offense from these teams but the US made enough plays to take over.

Paige Bueckers was the best player on the court, finishing with 11 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals. She led the way when the US opened the game up in the 3rd.

Nobody else really stood out though many contributed. Paige and Hailey Van Lith easily played the most minutes.

UConn POI Gemma Potter did not play for the Aussies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige is a joy to watch. Definitely pass first and more than happy to make both the simple pass (with the right entry angle) and the tougher passes in transition including a few cross court passes with mustard.

It was a bit strange how Paige sought of grew into the game and got better as the game went on on both sides of the ball. Just like the team. ;)

Hailey Van Lith was clearly the dominant player to start (Plays at one speed all the time) and Paige sought of held back but the roles got more and more reversed as the game went on.

Too bad about Canada. A shame there are no more little Nurse's :(

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith, Clark, Paige, and Brink are all born in 2001. Does this mean they won’t be eligible for the next cycle of U18/U19?

Reaction Score
The US won their first game 79-56 over Australia, methodically pulling away after a tight game through the 1st half. Not the best half-court offense from these teams but the US made enough plays to take over.

Paige Bueckers was the best player on the court, finishing with 11 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals. She led the way when the US opened the game up in the 3rd.

Nobody else really stood out though many contributed. Paige and Hailey Van Lith easily played the most minutes.

UConn POI Gemma Potter did not play for the Aussies.

Hilmon-Baker stat line was just as impressive as Bueckers finishing with10 points, 9 rebounds,2 assists, 5 steals. She had the exact same efficiency as Bueckers playing less minutes. She actually help carried them early when the team was struggling. Just thought she should have been mentioned as someone who stood out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wouldn’t be surprised if both team met up for the championship. Australia stayed with them for a half but the pressure defense in the second half was too much. I was really impressed with Shelley and Scanlon for the Aussies. I think Shelley will be very good for Oregon and we got a future glimpse of she and Paige going at it. Was Scanlon ever recruited by any US schools? She has a good pace about her that I like and made some nice passes. I’m also shocked meila goodchild didn’t have a better showing after playing well as a freshman at Duke. Wonder if Magbegor could have played for the World Univ. games and the U19 squad? I think it would’ve been a little more interesting had she played.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wouldn’t be surprised if both team met up for the championship. Australia stayed with them for a half but the pressure defense in the second half was too much. I was really impressed with Shelley and Scanlon for the Aussies. I think Shelley will be very good for Oregon and we got a future glimpse of she and Paige going at it. Was Scanlon ever recruited by any US schools? She has a good pace about her that I like and made some nice passes. I’m also shocked meila goodchild didn’t have a better showing after playing well as a freshman at Duke. Wonder if Magbegor could have played for the World Univ. games and the U19 squad? I think it would’ve been a little more interesting had she played.
Ezi's DOB is August 13, 1999 she is eligible for this U19 squad.

Reaction Score
Australia like the USA had a few late roster changes. Seems like every side has had a few injuries in the lead up.
No Palmer or Hannan, both Texas commits. No Cochrane from Oregon either.

Reaction Score
Ezi's DOB is August 13, 1999 she is eligible for this U19 squad.

Thought so.. wonder if they aren’t allowed to compete for more than one international event.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Random thoughts on this game not previously mentioned.
Van Lith still has too much dribble in her game and many times appeared to push off with her off hand.
Jeff seriously? It is good that you know your players name but start actually coaching then up instead of yelling their names or "GET IN IN!" every damn time down the court.
Rhyne Howard could be an AA this coming season.
Fran Belibi might be this coming season Rhyne Howard aka National Freshmen Of the Year.
Paige's court vision and the ability to deliver the ball is very very elite.
I saw a couple of USA post players ( Boston, Egbo, Brink) dogging it and not getting back on defense-I didn't see that when Karla was coaching the team-just sayin Jeff!
Couple of great glue players on this squad that are going to do well in college because -they are glue players, very skilled and will do what ever the team needs (Diamond Miller & Celeste Taylor)
Not looking forward to a rematch here, Australia is running a very good guard oriented attack and mostly zone defenses. USA did not have a single player shoot over 50%. US post players shot 10 for 29 for the game. In a rematch USA post players will need to shoot at least 50%.
Queen Egbo was active but not as productive as she could have been. One more basket and she would have led the team is scoring. There were at least 4 rebounds that went off her finger tips out of bounds that went to Australia.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I thought you had to be born in 2000 or later. This stuff always confuses me!
Here is perhaps a simpler way to think of it: To be eligible for U19 means you have to be 19 or under as of January 1st of 2019-the year the tournament is held.
On January 1st of 2019 Ezi was 19 and still is.

Reaction Score
Pretty weak field this year. Not seeing France, Russia or Italy in the WC is surprising given how many youth prospects they have and the recent success of there junior teams.

Reaction Score
Random thoughts on this game not previously mentioned.
Van Lith still has too much dribble in her game and many times appeared to push off with her off hand.
Jeff seriously? It is good that you know your players name but start actually coaching then up instead of yelling their names or "GET IN IN!" every damn time down the court.
Rhyne Howard could be an AA this coming season.
Fran Belibi might be this coming season Rhyne Howard aka National Freshmen Of the Year.
Paige's court vision and the ability to deliver the ball is very very elite.
I saw a couple of USA post players ( Boston, Egbo, Brink) dogging it and not getting back on defense-I didn't see that when Karla was coaching the team-just sayin Jeff!
Couple of great glue players on this squad that are going to do well in college because -they are glue players, very skilled and will do what ever the team needs (Diamond Miller & Celeste Taylor)
Not looking forward to a rematch here, Australia is running a very good guard oriented attack and mostly zone defenses. USA did not have a single player shoot over 50%. US post players shot 10 for 29 for the game. In a rematch USA post players will need to shoot at least 50%.
Queen Egbo was active but not as productive as she could have been. One more basket and she would have led the team is scoring. There were at least 4 rebounds that went off her finger tips out of bounds that went to Australia.

No mention of Hillman? I thought she played very well and was active on defense. Egbo played well to me also, I thought Aliyah played well defensively but seemed to miss her target on a couple shots offensively. Howard is Howard. Clark is good and shoots well but doesn’t have the same foot speed or handle as Paige. Not a fan of Van Lith, she’s too ball hoggish for my liking and since Jeff is recruiting her heavy I doubt he’ll reign her in on that. Joens, Taylor, and Miller are great glue players and will do very well this year for their respective college teams. Brink is rail thin but is agile and long. She needs to get much more stronger and tougher before she heads to Stanford. Belibi is very athletic and active but I disagree on with you on her being NFOY, she lacks post moves and a jump shot big time. She got the ball down low on multiple plays in one on one situations but was either blocked or did nothing with it. She needs to work on her footwork bigtime but she has a lot of potential. Overall I thought they played pretty well for their first game. I too think Australia will be much tougher if they face off again but to be honest that might be the US toughest competition in the tournament.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No mention of Hillman? I thought she played very well and was active on defense. Egbo played well to me also, I thought Aliyah played well defensively but seemed to miss her target on a couple shots offensively. Howard is Howard. Clark is good and shoots well but doesn’t have the same foot speed or handle as Paige. Not a fan of Van Lith, she’s too ball hoggish for my liking and since Jeff is recruiting her heavy I doubt he’ll reign her in on that. Joens, Taylor, and Miller are great glue players and will do very well this year for their respective college teams. Brink is rail thin but is agile and long. She needs to get much more stronger and tougher before she heads to Stanford. Belibi is very athletic and active but I disagree on with you on her being NFOY, she lacks post moves and a jump shot big time. She got the ball down low on multiple plays in one on one situations but was either blocked or did nothing with it. She needs to work on her footwork bigtime but she has a lot of potential. Overall I thought they played pretty well for their first game. I too think Australia will be much tougher if they face off again but to be honest that might be the US toughest competition in the tournament.
I was trying to cover the stuff not mentioned previously by others. Hillman was already mentioned ( by you I think). She gave them juice in the first half.

Reaction Score
Here is perhaps a simpler way to think of it: To be eligible for U19 means you have to be 19 or under as of January 1st of 2019-the year the tournament is held.
On January 1st of 2019 Ezi was 19 and still is.
Thank you. I just thought it was weird because no players on the rosters I saw (scanned 3-4) had anyone born in 1999. Everyone was 2000s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom