Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA 56-Belgium 53 5:37 left in game.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA is getting mugged on almost all drives to the basket without a foul being called. Still USA does not have a good half court offense and they struggle making shots.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA 63 Belgium 59 with 2 minutes left in the game. So far Belgium has attempted 23 three point shots making 6. USA has only attempted 4 Three point shots, making 2.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA 65 Belgium 59 54 Seconds left.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
A win is a Win. Survive and Advance. USA wins 67-59. I suspect Australia will give USA a much better game then they did in the 1st game of the tournament. USA better be ready to play better then they did today.

Reaction Score
Australia have been terrible all week, 30% shooting for the tournament. Maybe they are due for a good game.

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith and Hillmon-Baker both led in the +/- category with +14. They struggled in the sequence those two were on the bench.

Rhyne Howard's 3 was the play of the game. HUGE shot.

Paige had an all-around solid game. 13 points, 4 rebounds, 7 assists/3 turnovers, 3 steals. Can stuff a stat sheet.

Got outrebounded 44-37. Our bigs had some trouble with the Massey twins. I was a little surprised because both are undersized at 6'1", not super athletic PF/C, but monster rebounders.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Besides the Massey twins, the US was torched multiple times by Lisowa and also blew alot of assignments on defense. Lisowa had the speed to take advantage. Don't see anyone on the Aussie side that can do that. I expect a more comfortable win in the finals.

Reaction Score
Besides the Massey twins, the US was torched multiple times by Lisowa and also blew alot of assignments on defense. Lisowa had the speed to take advantage. Don't see anyone on the Aussie side that can do that. I expect a more comfortable win in the finals.
Belgium looked very raggedy and will not offer any real test. I guess the same with the Aussies who I think we will meet in the finals
You also said Belgium would offer no real test though...

Reaction Score

USA got exposed. The USA posts weren't able to defend their smaller counterparts outside the paint in man and when Walz went to a zone Belgium torched them with 3 pters. The US is lucky Belgium's 3 pt shooting went cold at the end.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You also said Belgium would offer no real test though...

They did not look great early in the tournament to me. I admit I was surprised after Belgium went down by 15 early in Q3. They really picked their game up and some performances were just over the top. All props.

I guess I can stick to my Aussie prediction and if I am wrong, I can eat crow.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The U19 World Cup begins today, or technically after midnight in half the US. A double-digit time difference means you'll have to stay up late to watch the early games live.

The first game for Paige Bueckers and the USA against Australia begins at 1:15 AM Eastern Saturday:

Thanks Sluconn. I wanted to see this game. :)

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith and Hillmon-Baker both led in the +/- category with +14. They struggled in the sequence those two were on the bench.

Rhyne Howard's 3 was the play of the game. HUGE shot.

Paige had an all-around solid game. 13 points, 4 rebounds, 7 assists/3 turnovers, 3 steals. Can stuff a stat sheet.

Got outrebounded 44-37. Our bigs had some trouble with the Massey twins. I was a little surprised because both are undersized at 6'1", not super athletic PF/C, but monster rebounders.
Rebound and steals came early but still overall a strong game.

Reaction Score
Where do most of these Belgium girls play ball when they are not playing for the U19 Belgium team? They seem to be a better passing team than the US. Paige seems to force a lot of drive in the first half of the game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Where do most of these Belgium girls play ball when they are not playing for the U19 Belgium team? They seem to be a better passing team than the US. Paige seems to force a lot of drive in the first half of the game.

Just the norm for International players although Belgium seems to do it particularly well. The emphasis is on ball skills and passing and less on developing athletic one on one skills. I remember Makurat saying the kind of physical training that UConn expects is not the norm in international teams and is the biggest difference she has experienced. So they are not trying the build world class athletes as much as developing team play.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I spent a lot of time in Belgium on business 20+ years ago. Basketball is incredibly popular. There are club teams and rec leagues everywhere. A number of colleagues I worked with played basketball every Wednesday night. I joined them on several occasions and was quite impressed with their skill levels.

The best thing about a bunch of guys playing basketball after work in Belgium is that afterwards everyone heads to a nearby establishment to drink beer, and the Belgians make the best beer in the world.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Canada lost to China finishing a disappointing tournament for them and, to a good degree, Aaliyah Edwards. Doesn't really dent my perception of her, but still disappointing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Belgium takes over the lead in a low scoring first half 25-21. Neither team is trying to do much work inside and happy to launch 3pt shots (without success). The
analysis of the announcers is that they are tired and shooting 3's requires less energy.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Spain beats Belgium 58-52 to finish 3rd in the Tournament.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Just the norm for International players although Belgium seems to do it particularly well. The emphasis is on ball skills and passing and less on developing athletic one on one skills. I remember Makurat saying the kind of physical training that UConn expects is not the norm in international teams and is the biggest difference she has experienced. So they are not trying the build world class athletes as much as developing team play.
I spent a lot of time in Belgium on business 20+ years ago. Basketball is incredibly popular. There are club teams and rec leagues everywhere. A number of colleagues I worked with played basketball every Wednesday night. I joined them on several occasions and was quite impressed with their skill levels.

The best thing about a bunch of guys playing basketball after work in Belgium is that afterwards everyone heads to a nearby establishment to drink beer, and the Belgians make the best beer in the world.

Don't forget Belgium's "low-country" neighbor, The Netherlands, also produces some excellent hoopsters (and a few excellent beers, too!). Center Emese Hof and guard Laura Cornelius had excellent careers at Katie Meier's U of Miami team. Per eebmg's point, Meier thought so much of that, she has a French guard and Swedish guard/forward on this year's roster.

Oldude: My daughter spent a semester abroad at University of East Anglia in Norwich, England, just across the North Sea from Belgium and there were a lot of Belgium pubs there. I enjoyed myself immensely at one or two of them for an extended lunch! :)

Getting back to Belgium, I noticed the Massey sisters are 19. I wonder if they are club "professionals" already and/or eligible to play on a collegiate level. At 6'1", don't know if they'd have similar impact day-in or day-out, but those technical skills could go a long way at certain schools that stress ball distribution.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Anyone have a link to watch today’s game that is not ESPN+ where you have to pay?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32