U19 Women's World Cup | Page 7 | The Boneyard

U19 Women's World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Again, only streaming on Facebook. Paige not having a great game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Canada is shockingly bad. They have almost nobody who can dribble the basketball and run little offense. Edwards has zero help.

Canada will play at least one more game anyway.

Egbo, DeCosta, and Smith are going to make Baylor a problem for years.

Reaction Score
Atleast the better players for Canada will be back again in 2021. Add lattimore, browne and all the others plus any from u17s and you have a decent squad. Not USA level but pretty good, enough to challenge for a medal.
They just need a couple of quality pgs, and they do have some nice ones coming through.

Reaction Score
2021 tournament will be a lot deeper, France, Italy and Russia being upset (not bringing best players-thinking they’ll breeze through) in qualification last year has let this WC down.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Spain barely holds on over China 55-52. Spain had a double digit lead in 4Q but china had a barrage of 3's and could have tied it on a last second shot. Face Aussies in first SF

Last QF game between Belgium and Japan will decide our SF opponent. Might be interesting to see. Game at 8:30 EDT

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here is YouTube replay:

Canada has been on the rise, but this particular group did not click. Hope it is an abberation. Kia will not be pleased!

Reaction Score
No doubt there for Clark as well.

And Iowa HC Lisa Bluder was also there for a few days. Iowa State already has four top-100 guards committed in the class of 2020, including top-15 PG Lexi Donarski. Not sure if ND, Oregon, or Oregon State sent any coaches there.

Reaction Score
And Iowa HC Lisa Bluder was also there for a few days. Iowa State already has four top-100 guards committed in the class of 2020, including top-15 PG Lexi Donarski. Not sure if ND, Oregon, or Oregon State sent any coaches there.
Baylor and Texas also had coaches there. I would assume every program with at least one commit has a coach there. Nice perk.

Reaction Score
Baylor and Texas also had coaches there. I would assume every program with at least one commit has a coach there. Nice perk.
In addition to having Celeste there, I know Texas is/was also recruiting Clark, though not sure if she is highly considering it.

Reaction Score
Watching the empty stands, save for a few parents and college coaches, for these games you can see why women’s sports suffer to attract an audience. If host Thailand had any real interest in women’s basketball they would have handed out tickets to every girl in the country who even once fleetingly thought about touching a basketball. I know it is hard to attract fans to a multiple game format with teams no one follows—I coached travel competitive softball teams and know the problems—but for women’s sports to grow, for WNBA players to get better money, you have to grow the fan base. It can be done. Look at World Cup USA champions. It starts with not only encouraging more young women to play sports but to watch them. Most women’s college basketball teams play to thin crowds except when UConn is in town. People will buy tickets to watch the best. Balancing the need to sell tickets and recognizing that those who pay full fare need to be acknowledged, college athletic departments need to actively go out in the community and offer cheap, if not free, unsold seats in the elementary schools, and make their players available to the girls both at the games and in clinics. I still remember my then 9-year-old granddaughter going to one such clinic and showing her basketball playing card to the star of the University of Colorado team which indicated that star was her favorite player. The star, Chucky, photographed the card and showed it to her teammates and sent it to her followers. So it goes both ways.

Reaction Score
Again, only streaming on Facebook. Paige not having a great game.

Paige did just fine. It was a first half rout and a chance to give second level players court time.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Paige did just fine. It was a first half rout and a chance to give second level players court time.

Yes. Halftime score was 50-16.

USA plays Belgium tomorrow in the second semifinal game at 8:30 AM EDT. The other semi will be Australia v Spain.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
"just fine" is not enough for some people here :D

Yes. Everyone did 'well' with some better than others. Still, Paige did not have her best game after a strong flurry at the start which I agree set the tone.

Why is it an issue to assess the game honestly? When a truly great player has a less than stellar game, I think she want's to know about it and I am sure Geno will let her know at Storrs. Maybe CD is giving her an assessment in Thailand as well. :D

I think she will come out like a buzz saw in the Semis and Finals.

Reaction Score
Yes. Everyone did 'well' with some better than others. Still, Paige did not have her best game after a strong flurry at the start which I agree set the tone.

Why is it an issue to assess the game honestly? When a truly great player has a less than stellar game, I think she want's to know about it and I am sure Geno will let her know at Storrs. Maybe CD is giving her an assessment in Thailand as well. :D

I think she will come out like a buzz saw in the Semis and Finals.
If the game had been closer or in doubt, she would have played more and made more plays. But I saw assists that weren’t because of easy missed layups, I saw disruptive defensive play, I saw saw long range bombs. I saw bad, really bad passing by her teammates, yet we ran away with it. She is still well on her way to MVP honors.

Reaction Score
If the game had been closer or in doubt, she would have played more and made more plays. But I saw assists that weren’t because of easy missed layups, I saw disruptive defensive play, I saw saw long range bombs. I saw bad, really bad passing by her teammates, yet we ran away with it. She is still well on her way to MVP honors.
It will come down to she and Rhyne Howard for sure, assuming we win.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen a game where Rhyne Howard wasn't awesome. What a talent.

Great talent but, she is clearly of the opinion that she didn't travel to Thailand to pass the ball, So, while I like her shooting prowess, I'm somewhat disappointed that her talent does not extend to making plays for the others. One or two others were well in her foot steps--lets go one-on-one. Great shooter, however.

Reaction Score
Great talent but, she is clearly of the opinion that she didn't travel to Thailand to pass the ball, So, while I like her shooting prowess, I'm somewhat disappointed that her talent does not extend to making plays for the others. One or two others were well in her foot steps--lets go one-on-one. Great shooter, however.
Her role on the team is to score the ball, it isn't like she is taking a ton more shots than everyone else -- she averages about one more shot attempt per game than Bueckers.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Great article with some fantastic and revealing quotes

"You can't help being aware of what it means to be playing for UConn. It's also the case that they haven't won the title in a couple of years now, so I want to be a part of bringing that championship back. This is a great added motivation, and I want to be part of adding to the legacy that UConn already has.

(So maybe not winning the last few years helped her decide to come :rolleyes: )

"I also love the look of the team chemistry there, the way they play hard and are always winning or chasing down championships. It's a family orientated program, which suits me a lot too.

"I am most looking forward to playing under Coach Geno (Auriemma) and just seeing what he does with players," added Bueckers.

"He makes people so much better. I feel that I am good, but to be great one day or even just the best player I can be, he is the person I need to be working with."

But then, she says

"I really like Diana (Taurasi) and Sue (Bird) a lot, plus Kyrie Irving :eek::eek::eek::eek:
in the guy's game and I just like to try taking bits and pieces from their games and then trying my best to add it to mine," said Bueckers.

How can she like Kyrie's game?? :confused::confused::confused:

So much dribbling. Yes, his handle is incredible and his drives to the basket are elite but I would have thought Steph Curry is the ultimate guard to pattern yourself on the men's side. Curry knows how to manage pace and passes so much better than Kyrie (and forget the shooting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom