U19 Women's World Cup | Page 6 | The Boneyard

U19 Women's World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe not. I hear that Baylor is recruiting both Hailey Van Lith and Sarah Andrews hard. I'm still hoping Andrews will pick Texas - Andrews is much more advanced in the art of ball delivery.
IMO, there is no comparison between Andrews and Hailey Van Lith. Andrews’ speed and vision is elite. Hailey Van Lith’s is not close.

Reaction Score
Tournament hasn’t helped Hailey Van Lith increase her recruiting stock given her play against other top players but she has an athletic body and hopefully will improve with good coaching.
The problem is that Hailey Van Lith is not playing against top players. She is struggling against mediocre at best competition.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I don't get the criticism comments about Hailey Van Lith.

Her accomplishments include:

1. Played backup PG on the U16 behind the best guard in America.
2. Was on the gold medal 3 x 3 team.
3. Starting PG for the so far undefeated u19 team. One of only three high schoolers on the team.

Not bad for a kid from Cashmere, Washington.

She is trending away because of Nika Muhl. The kid is going to be a great college player. She plays too hard for her not to be.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Tough duty but someone has to do it. I started watching the replay. In warm ups and the anthem line up the Hungary young women looked like they were headed to the gallows! Their coaches looked happy enough, but they didn't have to play the USA. Then I saw the USA Team during the anthem and they looked worse!
This is for CD.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We seem to criticize and praise fairly randomly based on a single team experience that has brought together 12 players with VERY little practice time into a high powered competition with a coach none of them has played for before and running a new system.

The fact that all of them made it through a very tough selection process to make the 12 player team is probably more significant than their actual performance over the six games that we get to see.

I agree that Hailey Van Lith has not impressed me that much, but she has actually been selected by Jeff to start - which is also an evaluation of some significance - she is also playing the second most minutes to Paige and both round to 24 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
We seem to criticize and praise fairly randomly based on a single team experience that has brought together 12 players with VERY little practice time into a high powered competition with a coach none of them has played for before and running a new system.

The fact that all of them made it through a very tough selection process to make the 12 player team is probably more significant than their actual performance over the six games that we get to see.

I agree that Hailey Van Lith has not impressed me that much, but she has actually been selected by Jeff to start - which is also an evaluation of some significance - she is also playing the second most minutes to Paige and both round to 24 minutes a game.
I would expect Walz to evaluate her highly since he is coincidentally trying to close out his recruitment of her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
On a broader note, Jeff noted after the game they are still a work in progress. Germany was 0-3 going in and the USA team sputtered through the first half against a slow German team. Here on oin they have to get the RPMs up from the jump. Wanna see an ugly possession from the second half? Check it out:

Reaction Score
The problem is that Hailey Van Lith is not playing against top players. She is struggling against mediocre at best competition.

Not sure I agree with the premise of this statement.

Reaction Score
I was being polite, I hesitate to criticize any young woman trying her best but—yes. And she went through a tough selection process.

Reaction Score
When I watch this team and other talented FIBA teams, it makes it even more clear how great a job Carla Berube did. Princeton is lucky to get her.
The U17 team was probably the best US team for the level of competition in many years and that is a tribute to the players and to the coaching of Carla! They dominated and seemed to have no real weak links. This U19 team got some ways to go...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
By contrast, I'm not aware of any top high schoolers who don't make themselves available for U17/18. It's the same way we don't even field a top 3x3 team - just no quite as important to US players.

Maybe there are many players who don’t think 3x3 is important but Christyn Williams has literally traveled the globe this summer playing 3x3 for USA Basketball. She and ONO will be on Team USA in the 3x3 competition in the PanAm games in Peru next month.

Reaction Score
I was being polite, I hesitate to criticize any young woman trying her best but—yes. And she went through a tough selection process.
I’m not criticizing, just assessing what I see.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The U17 team was probably the best US team for the level of competition in many years and that is a tribute to the players and to the coaching of Carla! They dominated and seemed to have no real weak links. This U19 team got some ways to go...

In the last game I think it was Boston who picked up a foul in the first minute or so and they panned down to the sideline just in time to hear Jeff intone: "No more fouls" at Boston. With heady coaching like that we cannot fail! ;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would expect Walz to evaluate her highly since he is coincidentally trying to close out his recruitment of her.
I tend to trust coaches selected by USA to give there best effort for the team. Disliked Geno being criticized for non-basketball reasons during his USA stints, same with Dawn, same with Carla, same with Jeff. Everyone talks about the honor of wearing USA on their chest, and I take that ay face value - it elevates to a level above the personal.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Maybe not. I hear that Baylor is recruiting both Hailey Van Lith and Sarah Andrews hard. I'm still hoping Andrews will pick Texas - Andrews is much more advanced in the art of ball delivery.
Your problem isn’t getting the players, it’s you know, actually coaching them into a cohesive offensive unit-not one of Karen’s strengths...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Your problem isn’t getting the players, it’s you know, actually coaching them into a cohesive offensive unit-not one of Karen’s strengths...:rolleyes:

Yea she doesn't seem to get the most out of her players.

Who knew Atkins would have the WNBA career like she has had?! Impressed with what Washington has done with her.

Reaction Score
The game is on at 3:30am EDT. Me, I'm a night owl but it's a mismatch so maybe it can wait.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
That is enlightened self interest at its finest! :)

Reaction Score
Did something similar with Blackwell and Davenport last year. Both are great players, so maybe this would’ve happened anyways, but the two he was recruiting were 1 & 2 in MPG. Davenport was a stud though.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Australia advances past Mali 63-51 behind UConn POI Gemma Potter who had 18 points (7/13 FG, 4/6 3-PT) in 18 minutes.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The games again not being shown live on FIBA's YT channel. Not sure what's going on.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Congrats to FIBA for not putting the games up live and having their links to archived games send you to YouTube's front page. A very professional effort there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom