Tremont Waters | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wish Voskuhl had a 6'11 son who played just like him.
Seems kinda hard nowadays to find big men to play for us that just want to win, understand their role, play it to the best of their ability, fill that void up front that we need (a post presents that can set screens, rebound, block a shot or 2 every now and again, be physical in the paint, and again, rebound)

Reaction Score
When I met Tremont's dad at a Brewster game vs Jalen Adams, he had traveled here to New Hampshire on a weekday to watch. As I posted here at the time, his dad was all about education first. Georgetown, Duke, Stanford, etc seemed to respond to that inclination. Now I wonder if our appeal might be enhanced based on his desire to regularly attend games, rather than it being Tremont's first choice.

Keep in mind we are recruiting both as 3-4 year parts of the program. During every foul shot on the court in the Brewster game, Tremont came over to his dad in the front row on the opposite side of the court from his coaching staff, to receive instruction and critique from dad rather than coaches. The dad seemed like a very reasonable fellow, but he had opinions about the use/minutes of players on the court that were at odds with who was being used, and, had no problem sharing those opinions.

Adding Tremont would be great, but the idea that our back court is then set for years, ignores our new version of 'one and done' and the continual recruiting involved of the kids AND parents every season.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind we are recruiting both as 3-4 year parts of the program. During every foul shot on the court in the Brewster game, Tremont came over to his dad in the front row on the opposite side of the court from his coaching staff, to receive instruction and critique from dad rather than coaches. The dad seemed like a very reasonable fellow, but he had opinions about the use/minutes of players on the court that were at odds with who was being used, and, had no problem sharing those opinions.
Oh great! Just like Vance Jackson and his father. Gotta love highly-involved family here :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Oh great! Just like Vance Jackson and his father. Gotta love highly-involved family here :rolleyes:

Anyone who is involved in higher level youth sports (premier teams, academies, etc.) knows how it goes. The parents spent lots of time, money, and effort in their kids' athletic careers. It is then not a surprise to see this level of involvement even when their sons are mature. BUT --- is it healthy for a team?

Unless you have the clout to tell a parent to shut up or go away, it seems you have to deal with it. And it can become ruinous to a locker room. Anytime you have even the remotest of influence from a parent, others will complain. I see it with a team manager on my kid's team. It is unhealthy.

Remember, the players that liked Calhoun always called him a father figure. Some didn't have fathers in their lives. Think of Caron. And Calhoun also had big trouble with kids whose fathers were either very involved or else former pro athletes themselves, like Oriakhi or Gavin Edwards.

And no, before anyone asks, I do not recommend that Ollie focus his recruitment on kids without fathers in their lives.

Reaction Score
Seems kinda hard nowadays to find big men to play for us that just want to win, understand their role, play it to the best of their ability, fill that void up front that we need (a post presents that can set screens, rebound, block a shot or 2 every now and again, be physical in the paint, and again, rebound)

It's not like these former big men who wanted to win didn't have NBA careers, Travis Knight, Jake Voskhul, Emeka Okafor--all of them did. I think they all got paid too.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Managing personalities is literally one of the top descriptions of the head coaching job.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
This thread getting my hopes up about Tremont. I know I probably shouldn't get excited but it would just be such a nice piece of news after this past month.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Landing Tremont would not only offset the loss of MAL, but in a way mitigate some of what was lost with Vance's spot up 3pt shooting (and maybe the shot won't take a full 2 seconds to get off).

He's the perfect player in Ollie's system, his ability to shoot from deep and off the dribble makes him in my eyes the better player than MAL who really only had size and finishing ability over TW. Ollie can really reverse some of the recent damage with this signing, I just wish the kid would stop holding hand out for better offers and just look in his own backyard for a second.

Reaction Score
This would be a huge get and allow us to play the 3 guard line-up especially if we pick up the big guard from OSU. We could start AG, JA and CV and then substitute TW and the other guard. We can then move TL to PF. I think this is KO's preferred type of lineup especially with the talent he presently has on the team. Then we can play center by committee hoping one of our big guys has a heartbeat.

Last edited:

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
This would be a huge get and allow us to play the 3 guard line-up especially if we pick up the big guard from OSU. We could start AG, JA and CV and then substitute TW and the other guard. We can then move TL to PF. I think this is KO's preferred type of lineup especially with the talent he presently has on the team. Then we can play center by committee hoping one of our big guys has a heartbeat.

I personally have a good feeling about Josh Carlton. He will be green, but still, with some fine tuning he could be a very good player in his first year.

Reaction Score
I personally have a good feeling about Josh Carlton. He will be green, but still, with some fine tuning he could be a very good player in his first year.
I hope so as there doesn't seem to be any Grad Transfer bigs we are heavily involved with at this time.

Reaction Score
He's got a Billy Curley-esque feel to his game. Keeps the ball high, has really good fundamentals, decent enough size but not much lift/athleticism.

Hope he pans out as well as Curley did.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Landing Tremont would not only offset the loss of MAL, but in a way mitigate some of what was lost with Vance's spot up 3pt shooting (and maybe the shot won't take a full 2 seconds to get off).

He's the perfect player in Ollie's system, his ability to shoot from deep and off the dribble makes him in my eyes the better player than MAL who really only had size and finishing ability over TW. Ollie can really reverse some of the recent damage with this signing, I just wish the kid would stop holding hand out for better offers and just look in his own backyard for a second.
I want Tremont as much as anyone in this thread. I wanted him when the initial thread was started about his recruitment. I watched more high light tapes on Tremont than any recruit.

I preferred him over MAL back then, but recognized my observations have a bias and was not upset with getting MAL over Waters because MAL might be a better defender.

Even if we didn't desperately need a fourth/third guard, even if we didn't need some positive news to stop the bleeding I strongly wanted Waters.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Literally all of this optimism is coming from Husky99 merely saying "Hearing more interest on water side then expected."

I'll believe it when I see it.

Until then, I'll keep creating new troll threads under my alter ego, RUSS56.

Reaction Score
Literally all of this optimism is coming from Husky99 merely saying "Hearing more interest on water side then expected."

And another poster @walker11 said at the all star game there was buzz surrounding the situation. Let us have hope lol

Reaction Score

I did not want to russ to judgement on that topic but all along I thought this was you nomar, i knew it dammit.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't understand how/who starts the "I'm hearing" so and so about a given player.

I would assume the two people in the know are Waters and his Dad and I imagine they aren't sending smoke signals out to random bloggers and message board posters on a daily basis.

Seems to me with a lot of these recruits, unless the guy is on campus, it's all just made up conjecture to drive interest and page views on recruiting sites.

That being said, take this with a grain of salt.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And another poster @walker11 said at the all star game there was buzz surrounding the situation. Let us have hope lol
Didn't see a @Zionn next either. If people think getting Waters is anything but a long shot I have a rusty broken down bridge I want to sell to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wygyschk

Top Bottom