Tremont Waters | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The Southwestern portion of our state is private school territory and generally looks down on big state schools and big time college athletics in general.

Reaction Score
The Southwestern portion of our state is private school territory and generally looks down on big state schools and big time college athletics in general.

New Haven isn't exactly Southwest though.

Reaction Score
Can attest as someone from Tolland, CT (town right next to Storrs/Mansfield) that goes to a private college in the south that everyone I have met here from CT is from the western part of the state. Absolutely nobody east of Hartford besides me.

Reaction Score
I can tell you. I grew up in New Haven and UConn is not what it is up north. There arent many die hards down there. They'll root for them and watch them when theg are good, but they dont grow up attending games and loving the program

I grew up in New Haven. A bunch of us used to drive up for games in our teens. Used to go up all the time. almost everyone I knew was a big UConn fan.
Well im younger, 21. Kids i grew up with didnt give a dam about UConn. I was a one of a handful in my hs who really followed them

Doesn't help that I can't think of an actual New Haven/UConn hoop connection since Earl Kelly days. (Burrell was Hamden)

Reaction Score

Meh some of it. It's more like the western coast. Once you get inland it's not quite like that, at least in my experiences in Danbury and the surrounding areas

Reaction Score
Doesn't help that I can't think of an actual New Haven/UConn hoop connection since Earl Kelly days. (Burrell was Hamden)

Hamden, New Haven, not much difference. Once you're on Whalley Avenue, it's sometimes hard to know which town you're in. But not many D1 players have come out of New Haven in the last couple of decades.

Reaction Score
I'm not an expert on tri-state demographics, but I did grow up in Hartford county, attend college in New Haven, and have lived in NYC for 12 years.

The obsession with State U is incredibly divided. Fairfield and New Haven county have less of a connection with Husky Nation. Most of that stems from the fact that a good chunk of the population in those counties tend to be NYC commuters who did not grow up in CT but left New York for suburban life.

There's also a chunk who identify as NY professional sports fans - creating less of a desire and passion to find meaning in the state's basketball team.

And lastly, it's based on proximity. Storrs is just significantly further from Stanford than NYC. People in those counties prefer to drive 40 minutes to watch pro-sports vs an hour+ for UConn.

That's the disconnect. Those are all general statements, and we clearly have some passionate fans in those counties. But CT is a state divided. Yankees vs Red Sox. Pats vs Giants. And UConn obesession vs apathy.

Reaction Score
All that said above, Tremont has an opportunity to come to a struggling program and provide a southern CT surge we haven't seen since Scottie Burrell.

I hope he has the character to see this as an opportunity to bridge a gap and become a special piece of the program - and not come in board as an extra passenger on a sinking ship.

Reaction Score
I think he may sign with UConn but KO needs to sell him that he isn't a redunancy with Gilbert. It would be interesting how you sell that. I will be like Oz - Any thoughts anyone?

The truth of the matter is that Waters is probably the best pure point guard (passer, court vision) of any of our guards. So you sell that he will be the starting point guard from sophomore to senior and is needed in a big supporting role for next year as well.

Reaction Score
I grew up with more UNC and especially Duke fans than UConn fans in Fairfield.

Sounds like you're on the fringes of the territory of the Long Island/Jersey bandwagon frontrunner type of fans, a lot of Duke and UNC.

Reaction Score
Sounds like you're on the fringes of the territory of the Long Island/Jersey bandwagon frontrunner type of fans, a lot of Duke and UNC.

Most people around me are more passionate about either Yankees/Mets or Giants/Jets.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Areas with money tend to be heavy with fair weather and bandwagon fans.

Reaction Score
Areas with money tend to be heavy with fair weather and bandwagon fans.

I really think location is the biggest factor here. I could be wrong, just my opinion. I play a lot of ball with predominantly high schoolers from Bridgeport and recent graduates and there isn't a ton of UCONN love.

It doesn't really matter in this situation, hopefully. This could be a situation where we are the best fit for each other, even though neither were the primary focus.

Reaction Score
I'm not an expert on tri-state demographics, but I did grow up in Hartford county, attend college in New Haven, and have lived in NYC for 12 years.

The obsession with State U is incredibly divided. Fairfield and New Haven county have less of a connection with Husky Nation. Most of that stems from the fact that a good chunk of the population in those counties tend to be NYC commuters who did not grow up in CT but left New York for suburban life.

There's also a chunk who identify as NY professional sports fans - creating less of a desire and passion to find meaning in the state's basketball team.

And lastly, it's based on proximity. Storrs is just significantly further from Stanford than NYC. People in those counties prefer to drive 40 minutes to watch pro-sports vs an hour+ for UConn.

That's the disconnect. Those are all general statements, and we clearly have some passionate fans in those counties. But CT is a state divided. Yankees vs Red Sox. Pats vs Giants. And UConn obesession vs apathy.

New Haven does not have many commuters to New York. I was one of those people, and the train started to fill from Bridgeport on. I didn't know a single parent out of the hundreds of kids I grew up with who worked in NY.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
OK, can anyone tell me if...

1. UCONN is aggressively after Waters at this time?

and

2. Does Waters have even the remotest interest in coming to UCONN?

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I think selling Waters that he and AT aren't redundant is easy. First of the idea of positionless basketball. I'd also sell him on the fact that the team would be all about getting on the break. Rebound quick outlet to any one of the guards...AG JA TW would equal runouts. Rumours turn into layups dunks or kickout to an open shooter. Sign me up. JA AG TW TL and a big would be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom