Tremont Waters | Page 44 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If true, this is terrible news. Anyone pretending we dodged a bullet by missing on a top 40 PG in our own state is in denial.

I know a lot of people like his game, but do you think there is a reason why he has very limited options? Top 40 guards don't end up at Western Kentucky. Did they not like the lack of promises from Ollie. Why is everyone steering clear of this kid? You tell me. Because as I look at the other players in the top 40, Syracuse isn't looking down its nose at them.

If you can't tell that something doesn't look right here, then I think recruiting isn't for you. Clearly, there is a story here. That much is obvious. Go back and look at the top 40 recruitments of the past 10 years. You'll search long and hard to find stories like this one.

Reaction Score
I guess I will be the first too admit that I am quite bummed out with this news. I do not understand how things can move so quickly in recruiting, but maybe it was never actually real.
It was real. KO just refused to play this wishy washy game again. He's learned his lesson

Reaction Score
This is classic BY behavior. Anyone pretending that Anderson is a good 4th guard and not a reach for UConn standards is being a homer. We wanted Waters bad and he didn't want us, end of story. Now we are focusing on bigs...what bigs??

You're making a lot of assumptions here. What do you mean by bad? Assuring him playing time over, say, Vital? I don't think we wanted him that bad.

Reaction Score
You're making a lot of assumptions here. What do you mean by bad? Assuring him playing time over, say, Vital? I don't think we wanted him that bad.
And it was mutual. We weren't going to promise them(waters camp) what they wanted. We didnt go begging and they turned us away

Reaction Score
This is classic BY behavior. Anyone pretending that Anderson is a good 4th guard and not a reach for UConn standards is being a homer. We wanted Waters bad and he didn't want us, end of story. Now we are focusing on bigs...what bigs??
I'm pretty content with him being the 4th guard. 34 mpg, good defense in the A10. He can score a little, but hopefully we won't need him to.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
After getting Anderson , tremont was a luxury. Love to have him, but not a need
We're one popped shoulder from being scalitoed. Let's not minimize this. We aren't a destination school for anyone right now. Kids like Heron and Waters don't even give us a serious look. That's a problem.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty content with him being the 4th guard. 34 mpg, good defense in the A10. He can score a little, but hopefully we won't need him to.

Same. Assuming health, this roster shouldn't lack for explosive scorers. To be a very good team next year, we need to fill out with some good role players. This new Fordham kid fits the bill. We need more bigs but it is entirely possible one of the young bigs completely surprises. I won't be surprised if it is Diarra. I love Waters, don't get me wrong, but I am relatively optimistic about the upcoming season. About the future after Jalen and Terry leave? Not so much.

Reaction Score
We're one popped shoulder from being ---d. Let's not minimize this. We aren't a destination school for anyone right now. Kids like Heron and Waters don't even give us a serious look. That's a problem.

Oh come on--we're not going to do well in recruiting, but this is way too harsh!

Heron and Waters.

I mean, Auburn and Western Kentucky.

Let's get real, please.

There are reasons why this happened with these two players.

Reaction Score
We're one popped shoulder from being d. Let's not minimize this. We aren't a destination school for anyone right now. Kids like Heron and Waters don't even give us a serious look. That's a problem.
Kids of that caliber are not coming here to be a 4th or 5th guard. You named to examples of CT kids who didnt want to stay in CT. We have ZERO trouble recruiting guards. That is literally not an issue. Lets bot turn this into another sky is falling situation. Some of you guys are ridiculous

Reaction Score
We're one popped shoulder from being scalitoed. Let's not minimize this. We aren't a destination school for anyone right now. Kids like Heron and Waters don't even give us a serious look. That's a problem.

One good season and this will flip. That is the tightrope we walk on. Huge season upcoming IMO for the future of the program.

Even this individual Nike tournament could be a massive leverage point. We should have the horses to play some very appealing ball on the highest of stages.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love Waters, don't get me wrong, but I am relatively optimistic about the upcoming season. About the future after Jalen and Terry leave? Not so much.

This is exactly why I wrote UConn needs to recruit a top 30 scorer next season.

I don't think AJ Reeves is going to fit the bill. They need to hit on a kid like Luguentz Dort, someone of that stature.

Reaction Score
Explain how he isnt a 4th guard in UConn standards but tsam was? He just as good a kromah
He's statistically inferior to Kromah in every significant advanced metric.
Playing 34 mpg on a bad Fordham team makes you solid? Everyone is saying this kid plays good defense, but the stats just don't back that up at all.

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 10.51.03 PM.png

Reaction Score

Playing 34 mpg on a bad Fordham team makes you solid? Everyone is saying this kid plays good defense, but the stats just don't back that up at all.

View attachment 21752
4th guard. I. REPEAT 4th guard. He's doesnt need to be an all american. We won a championship with TERRANCE SAMUEL as our 3rd guard. Idk what made you guys think we need a superstar as our 4th guard, your inventing problems. STOP. He's a role player........

Reaction Score

View attachment 21752
I'll be sure to notify Antwoine of your cynicism

Reaction Score
4th guard. I. REPEAT 4th guard. He's doesnt need to be an all american. We won a championship with TERRANCE SAMUEL as our 3rd guard. Idk what made you guys think we need a superstar as our 4th guard, your inventing problems. STOP. He's a role player...
When we are planning on consistently playing 3 guard lineups (unless KO and Chillious snag a legit big transfer) our 4th guard is very important and will likely see 20-25 mpg, and Anderson is below average on any top 25 team. I understand that we need to fill slots, and I have no issue taking him at all...I'm glad that we did instead of reaching for a incoming freshman recruit. With that said, people on this board pretending that this isn't a big downgrade from Tremont are living in a dream world.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
If true, this is terrible news. Anyone pretending we dodged a bullet by missing on a top 40 PG in our own state is in denial.
It's the team that wins, not the ranking. We need players who will be willing to do what it takes to make the team better. He would be a great addition if he actually was willing to fit himself into a team concept, but nothing suggested he was willing to accept a limit on his individual aspirations. If he came to UConn expecting to be "the guy" from the get go, he would be a big problem here. That is a fact and would not make our team better.

Reaction Score
This thread is nuts.. I could easily post my "source" says he's about to get DQ tonight them commit tomorrow and I'd get 20 responses. I wish we could sharpen up "fake news" on here but personally don't know how to do that other then please only post if it's actually legit. From this thread alone most sources shouldn't be claimed as sources

Back in the day when I had more time to kill, college years, etc. I would spend time lurking and participating on others team message boards. I have never seen a board with anywhere near as many people proclaiming to have sources. I include myself in this critique as I have gotten bad info 2x but at least I did acknowledge who my "sources" were and why I didn't exactly buy in fully. I wish people would add some context, i.e. "I am hearing this from someone close to the staff/I am hearing this from AAU coaches I know/I am hearing this from my best buddy Adam Zagoria."

I still encourage (not that it means anything) everyone to report what they are hearing but I am going to need to become even more skeptical in the future. I can't deny that I caught myself daydreaming a few times of a Tremont/Jalen/Alterique backcourt in the past few days.

Reaction Score
When we are planning on consistently playing 3 guard lineups (unless KO and Chillious snag a legit big transfer) our 4th guard is very important and will likely see 20-25 mpg, and Anderson is below average on any top 25 team. I understand that we need to fill slots, and I have no issue taking him at all...I'm glad that we did instead of reaching for a incoming freshman recruit. With that said, people on this board pretending that this isn't a big downgrade from Tremont are living in a dream world.

No one denies it is a big downgrade. No one really even knows how good this new kids. The point is we have some very high level talent in our current backcourt and need complementary pieces for this season. Anderson looks like he could fit a nice little niche.

This is exactly why I wrote UConn needs to recruit a top 30 scorer next season.

I don't think AJ Reeves is going to fit the bill. They need to hit on a kid like Luguentz Dort, someone of that stature.

Carey, please.

Reaction Score
Back in the day when I had more time to kill, college years, etc. I would spend time lurking and participating on others team message boards. I have never seen a board with anywhere near as many people proclaiming to have sources. I include myself in this critique as I have gotten bad info 2x but at least I did acknowledge who my "sources" were and why I didn't exactly buy in fully. I wish people would add some context, i.e. "I am hearing this from someone close to the staff/I am hearing this from AAU coaches I know/I am hearing this from my best buddy Adam Zagoria."

I still encourage (not that it means anything) everyone to report what they are hearing but I am going to need to become even more skeptical in the future. I can't deny that I caught myself daydreaming a few times of a Tremont/Jalen/Alterique backcourt in the past few days.

Sorry i do not kiss and tell. Not once not twice but three times have people emailed my "sources" with links of this board or the old tos where i dropped a name of a source and the funny thing... they stop being a source

Reaction Score
Sorry i do not kiss and tell. Not once not twice but three times have people emailed my "sources" with links of this board or the old tos where i dropped a name of a source and the funny thing... they stop being a source

I wasn't really referring to people acknowledged as being very plugged into recruiting like yourself. Moreso to the random people (like myself) who show up to say things like "I am hearing Tremont is very likely to be a Husky." You have already told us on multiple occasions that you frequently talk to beat writers, AAU coaches, top guys from TOS, etc. I would never suggest outing a legit source.

Reaction Score

View attachment 21752
  • Out of necessity (owing to a lack of defensive data in the basic boxscore), individual Defensive Ratings are heavily influenced by the team's defensive efficiency. They assume that all teammates are equally good (per minute) at forcing non-steal turnovers and non-block misses, as well as assuming that all teammates face the same number of total possessions per minute.
  • Perhaps as a byproduct, big men tend to have the best Defensive Ratings (although Oliver notes that history's best defensive teams were generally anchored by dominant defensive big men, suggesting that those types of players are the most important to a team's defensive success). A corollary to this is that excellent perimeter defenders who don't steal the ball a lot — for instance, Joe Dumars or Doug Christie — are underrated defensively by DRtg, and are prone to look only as good as their team's overall defense performs.

Their team did a hellacious job guarding the paint, which pushed their team defensive efficiency way down. He had the 2nd best steal rate on the team, so probably should have gotten more credit for team TOs than he did, as that's spread to everyone.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Explain how he isnt a 4th guard in UConn standards but tsam was? He just as good a kromah
Simple. TSam wasn't either, if anything TSam was even a tier below this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom