Tremont Waters | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Blah Blah Blah about who was responsible for all the bad. Lost in the blame game was the incredible bad luck this season. Sure we lost to Wagner and Northeastern.

But just as we were recovering from the losses of Gilbert and Larrier and starting to put things together, Adams gets a concussion, then Christian, then an ankle injury to Adams, leg and foot problems to Steve and Juwan, a dislocated finger to Rodney. All of these injuries contributed to this horrible season.

The Karma gods owe us big time.

Reaction Score
Blah Blah Blah about who was responsible for all the bad. Lost in the blame game was the incredible bad luck this season. Sure we lost to Wagner and Northeastern.

But just as we were recovering from the losses of Gilbert and Larrier and starting to put things together, Adams gets a concussion, then Christian, then an ankle injury to Adams, leg and foot problems to Steve and Juwan, a dislocated finger to Rodney. All of these injuries contributed to this horrible season.

Concussion protocols = bad on this board, though, right?

Reaction Score
Malik Newman. He can play either guard spot.

I just don't see how he and Alterique can coexist. Gilbert would probably have to guard 2s and while he's strong and athletic that's a tough ask. Love Waters game and they're both pesky defenders, but they're the same height and now are in the same class.

Tremont is a BEAST he can play with anyone he wants but why in the world would a kid like that come off the bench at Uconn when he can start at schools who will be better than us? If he came to UCONN hes starting and that means we lose AG.. is that worth it?

Reaction Score

I look at it more as 27 years of great Karma being balanced all at once. But if we're no longer in the karma surplus category, I'll take it.

This fanbase is unaccustomed to the fact that sometimes in life things just go wrong. KO's first five years in total have been mixed, and maybe overall somewhat disappointing, but I would assume he still has plenty of rope left. We now have an unexpected roster rebuilding job, but whether the roster rebuilding is expected or unexpected or necessary or unnecessary, some times it has to happen.

Let's fill the slots and go on from there.

Reaction Score
Tremont is a BEAST he can play with anyone he wants but why in the world would a kid like that come off the bench at UConn when he can start at schools who will be better than us? If he came to UConn hes starting and that means we lose AG.. is that worth it?
Don't run off the dock. It's possible neither he or AG would start if he came here. Why would AG leave? He just lost a year already. We can accommodate four guards quite easily and have them all get plenty of minutes.

Reaction Score
Why would AG leave? He just lost a year already. We can accommodate four guards quite easily and have them all get plenty of minutes.

I've said elsewhere that as far as I know AG is staying, but from what I've heard KO needs to keep him happy especially since he was an McDonald's All-American and "needs to be treated as such"

I agree the minutes are there, but a couple things are going to have to happen for this to work (pure speculation by the way)

1) Duke can't get involved (hopefully they get Duval)
2) They can convince Tremont there are 30 minutes here for him, which...
3) there is if Vital (who was 28 MPG last season) is OK with 20-23 min

I make that last assessment based on sharpie Jalen in for 35 MPG, Alterique for 30-35 MPG leaving some minutes between those two positions plus 40 min at that 3rd guard spot. If Ollie can make this pitch to the combo of AG, CV, and TW that he will manage the minutes as such and they buy into it, we could have something special on our hands.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I've said elsewhere that as far as I know AG is staying, but from what I've heard KO needs to keep him happy especially since he was an McDonald's All-American and "needs to be treated as such"

I agree the minutes are there, but a couple things are going to have to happen for this to work (pure speculation by the way)

I make that last assessment based on sharpie Jalen in for 35 MPG, Alterique for 30-35 MPG leaving some minutes between those two positions plus 40 min at that 3rd guard spot. If Ollie can make this pitch to the combo of AG, CV, and TW that he will manage the minutes as such and they buy into it, we could have something special on our hands.
Agree. Can we just start small? Would that solve the problem? JA, AG, TW, TL and a big man.

Reaction Score
Agree. Can we just start small? Would that solve the problem? JA, AG, TW, TL and a big man.
Don't forget CV, too. They would be an absolute blur in transition as long as your anchor center (Cobb?) can haul in defensive boards.

Seems like it's been so long since UConn has had a team that gets out in transition with consistency.

pj

Reaction Score

If Larrier splits time between 3 and 4, there are about 100-110 minutes to split among the 4 guards. Tremont can expect 25-30 mpg. Not sure why you perceive 30 as a magic number. If he plays great, he would get over 30, but I don't think Ollie can promise that.

I'm sure Vital understands that the minutes he got on a 6-man roster were exaggerated compared to what he can expect on a full roster. If he continues improving he'll get plenty of minutes, he brings things the other guards don't, like the size and strength to defend bigger wings. And he is a UConn type of player, I'm sure Ollie loves him.

Reaction Score

That's the assumption I made. During the 2014 run, the 3 guard lineup was used as a change of pace. In my review of minutes, I assumed as if UConn would have to run a 3 guard lineup for an entire game. Then and only then do I think Ollie can retain the 3 guards he has and convince Tremont to come to UConn, but like I said this is just me speculating. Who knows maybe Ollie can convince Tremont to play 23.8 MPG like Shabazz did his Freshman year or 23.3 MPG like Jalen Adam's Freshman Year. That would make things a lot easier to sort through and keep everyone happy.

Reaction Score
I look at it more as 27 years of great Karma being balanced all at once. But if we're no longer in the karma surplus category, I'll take it.

This fanbase is unaccustomed to the fact that sometimes in life things just go wrong. KO's first five years in total have been mixed, and maybe overall somewhat disappointing, but I would assume he still has plenty of rope left. We now have an unexpected roster rebuilding job, but whether the roster rebuilding is expected or unexpected or necessary or unnecessary, some times it has to happen.

Let's fill the slots and go on from there.

For me the first 5 years have been better than I thought. This year was horrific. But the previous 4 were better than I thought they'd be. 3 of those 4 years, the teams were NCAA worthy, and in one they won it all. I didn't imagine that would be possible.

Reaction Score
Not sure why you perceive 30 as a magic number. If he plays great, he would get over 30, but I don't think Ollie can promise that.

I'm just not sure 25 MPG is going to do it. I hope I'm wrong, but either way Ollie has a lot of talented guards to keep happy. I really do hope this becomes a very good problem to have.

Reaction Score
If Larrier splits time between 3 and 4, there are about 100-110 minutes to split among the 4 guards. Tremont can expect 25-30 mpg. Not sure why you perceive 30 as a magic number. If he plays great, he would get over 30, but I don't think Ollie can promise that.

I'm sure Vital understands that the minutes he got on a 6-man roster were exaggerated compared to what he can expect on a full roster. If he continues improving he'll get plenty of minutes, he brings things the other guards don't, like the size and strength to defend bigger wings. And he is a UConn type of player, I'm sure Ollie loves him.
If we get TW I think that assures TL he will get all his minutes at PF position. Of course his game will be more on the perimeter even though I did see a couple turnaround shots in the paint in the first 2 games. We will have 4-5 guards play the PG-SG-SF positions.

Reaction Score
I'm just not sure 25 MPG is going to do it. I hope I'm wrong, but either way Ollie has a lot of talented guards to keep happy. I really do hope this becomes a very good problem to have.
Honest question: What other school is going to give him this? He doesn't seem like he's got a lot of good options this late to get those type of minutes. Duke is unlikely to materialize. Kansas has no interest. Indiana the same. He just left Georgetown and it doesn't seem like he's really interested in going back there.

What school has a similar name to UConn could he come in and get 30 minutes of guaranteed playing time as a starter? I'm not seeing it

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's the assumption I made. During the 2014 run, the 3 guard lineup was used as a change of pace. In my review of minutes, I assumed as if UConn would have to run a 3 guard lineup for an entire game. Then and only then do I think Ollie can retain the 3 guards he has and convince Tremont to come to UConn, but like I said this is just me speculating. Who knows maybe Ollie can convince Tremont to play 23.8 MPG like Shabazz did his Freshman year or 23.3 MPG like Jalen Adam's Freshman Year. That would make things a lot easier to sort through and keep everyone happy.
I think you are right that we will be going to a exclusive 3 guard lineup if we get TW.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is what I find so bizarre. Kemba didn't play any 30 minutes a game as a freshman. Yet he still made the all rookie team. There was a time when many freshmen didn't expect to play much at all. We aren't playing 3 guards for the whole game, or even half of it on most nights. There's a total of about 100 minutes to go around, give or take.

What Waters should be thinking about is that UConn is known for running a 2 PG offense, and that Adams is likely gone after this year. That leaves him and Gilbert running the show and getting plenty of time. He also has a chance to simply beat out Gilbert or that Gilbert will injure himself again (or be limited in time due to injury).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think you are right that we will be going to a exclusive 3 guard lineup if we get TW.

No chance. Not with small guards. Larrier and Polley will see minutes at the 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom