Transfer thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am not a fan of UCONN trying to slow down the game but am a fan of winning. I prefer small-ball vs big-ball to an extent. Small-ball can't be completely overwhelmed though. It's not like they've been a failure. They've been a final four machine.

With that said, I have no idea what a kid wants when she transfers or exactly what Geno is looking for other than "size and talent" in some manner, I don't think frosh and soph's that are centers are going to accept anything less than starting and getting at least 25 minutes. With that said they had better be "terrific" rather than just "big and decent."

I'm concerned with some of the comments regarding Edwards as a SF. I don't see her as a SF for UCONN tean UCONN style. . I don't doubt she can "play it decently" but UCONN is not looking for top recruits to be "decent" that they get in as recruits long-term. I'm hopeful she is a long term very good PF that can play some center. If she can't be at least a very good PF then she'll get surpassed imo.

So with taking this in mind-- if Shakira Austin doesn't have at least a mid range game then she is a serious pass. "Just defense" doesn't win games and just because you have a tall/big team doesn't mean you can run a good offense. A player I'm intrigued by is Ellie Mack. She competed in NCAA game vs Fla State. At 6'3 she also looks tough and is very skilled.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not happening, people.

Collier may or may not transfer, but it won't be to UConn.

Some myths die hard. This one is right up there with "maybe Megan changes her mind and comes back for her senior year".
Can you explain? Never thought we’d see Evina transfer to UConn but it happened. Not saying you’re off base I just don’t know if enough about the Charli situation.

Reaction Score
I would take a shot at Ellie Mack. She's a 6'3" grad transfer from Bucknell. 15 ppg as the Patriot League Player of the year. 6-3 off the bench for 8-12 minutes a game. That could only help. Couldn't be any worse than Evelyn Adebayo. She wouldn't be on UConn's radar out of high school, she has a degree in NeuroScience.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Anyone who really thinks basketball will be played b4 2021 should get off the pipe..
I’m not there yet, but I certainly understand the concern. In the meantime, there is no basketball, AAU, international or pickup, no gyms or playgrounds are open and the only basketball being played is one on none in your driveway.

Reaction Score
I would take a shot at Ellie Mack. She's a 6'3" grad transfer from Bucknell. 15 ppg as the Patriot League Player of the year. 6-3 off the bench for 8-12 minutes a game. That could only help. Couldn't be any worse than Evelyn Adebayo. She wouldn't be on UConn's radar out of high school, she has a degree in NeuroScience.

Possibly potentially start too? I'm not arguing. But she looks competitive per the link below vs a P5 team in which she is best player for Bucknell.

Reaction Score
Have seen play many times. Bucknell men's had a grad transfer who went to Kentucky and was their 6th man, playing about 20 minutes per game. Ellie could do same for UConn.

Reaction Score
Do we have any indication if UConn has been in contact with any tranfers in the portal as of yet?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Can you explain? Never thought we’d see Evina transfer to UConn but it happened. Not saying you’re off base I just don’t know if enough about the Charli situation.
Charli already has a record of committing and then de-committing and then re-de-committing. This alone would make her less appealing as a potential transfer to Geno, not more.

She reportedly switched to Texas to be closer to home in the wake of her father's death and Hurricane Harvey. Do we seriously think the COVID-19 experience is going to make her suddenly want to go far away from home?

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Can you say Evelyn Adebayo?

Good point. I wonder if she would make the same decision again if she had a chance? I looked at stats, she only averaged 6.5 min/game and appeared in 22 of 32 games.

Players transfer for a lot of reasons. Some might want to be on a contender, but I would think most want to actually be able to play, especially if it is their final season. Transferring just to ride the pine makes no sense at all.

Reaction Score
Good point. I wonder if she would make the same decision again if she had a chance? I looked at stats, she only averaged 6.5 min/game and appeared in 22 of 32 games.

Players transfer for a lot of reasons. Some might want to be on a contender, but I would think most want to actually be able to play, especially if it is their final season. Transferring just to ride the pine makes no sense at all.

yes. Most want to play.

But more true is that the kids are competitors. You dont play college ball and continue in it if you aren't a competitor to some degree. Could be that the player and the coach agree that the player has an opportunity to start or play good minutes for a title team. And the competitor in her thinks it's a one time chance to see if her skills and talent can break in to a national championship type of rotation. ANd if her skills and talent don't measure up she sees few minutes. But at least she gave it a shot to see what she might become-- no regrets.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oh wow, great selling point. I'm sure every player in the transfer portal would love to be the next benchwarmer playing nothing but garbage minutes at UConn.

Thanks for putting that bluntly. As an outsider I was trying to be delicate.

Reaction Score
She would be a very good fit for the UCLA system, which is at its best when it has multiple credible off-dribble threats to the basket. She just needs to develop the ability to drive to the basket but then pass back outside to teammates waiting to take open threes.
As Olddude mentioned she seems more suited to playing the two-guard than the point. However, she is perfectly capable of playing the point but just would rather play like a two. For the first part of this season, she did play the point well. But is seems like she decided she didn't want to do that.

One problem with Oregon was that Pivec and Slocum, who got to be really good buddies over the summer seemed to carry it over on to the court. The played catch with each other freezing out any other guards on the floor. It was either pass into the post or either one or the other would take it off the dribble. It damaged both their games. It was most obvious by how many times they ended up picking up their dibbles which often ended in turnovers and desperation passes. What players sometimes forget is that college ball is also about developing skills for the next level of play and that includes decision making.

I feel Slocum really is making a mistake transferring out. She will have to play the point at the next level and what she needs to learn is when to take it for herself when to pass or set up someone else. She will not learn that playing the shooting guard.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- As the late great Kenny Rodgers would advise-- You got to know when to hold up, know when to put it up, know when to pass away, know when to drive. You never leave a program if it teaches you to be stable, there'll be time enough for leaving when next seasons done. ;) :)

Reaction Score
I always thought Slocum's game thrives best in a free-wheeling system like Maryland's as opposed to a structured, patterned system like Oregon State's. UCLA would seem like the best combination of the right system fit combined with the greatest immediate need (Japreece Dean graduates, no obvious heir apparent).

No more free-wheeling system than Tenn. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Oh wow, great selling point. I'm sure every player in the transfer portal would love to be the next benchwarmer playing nothing but garbage minutes at UConn.

"... garbage minutes at Uconn." ? So aggressive. How about opening another door, instead of kicking this one down! For example, Evelyn wants to play in her home country and knows that coaching at a much higher level than what she has gotten was a must. Are you and others saying that she wasted her time? that Geno evaluated her wrongly? I would not be surprise if her bb skills gained in a season in Storrs surpassed yours and mine. My arrogance! I'm in the minority here, but listening to Geno's talks on transfers give the impression that it not about getting this player so that we can win a championship. More like- how will she helps us to develop better. In turn, how can we help the player to achieve certain desired ends. Let us not turn Uconn into a FACTORY.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
"... garbage minutes at Uconn." ? So aggressive. How about opening another door, instead of kicking this one down! For example, Evelyn wants to play in her home country and knows that coaching at a much higher level than what she has gotten was a must. Are you and others saying that she wasted her time? that Geno evaluated her wrongly? I would not be surprise if her bb skills gained in a season in Storrs surpassed yours and mine. My arrogance! I'm in the minority here, but listening to Geno's talks on transfers give the impression that it not about getting this player so that we can win a championship. More like- how will she helps us to develop better. In turn, how can we help the player to achieve certain desired ends. Let us not turn Uconn into a FACTORY.
Unfortunately, the premature end to the season shut down a very real opportunity for Evelyn to play more during the Big Dance. Kyla’s injury had opened the PT door for Evelyn. The coronavirus closed that door.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I am not a fan of UCONN trying to slow down the game but am a fan of winning. How slow was the Dolson lead teams? I prefer small-ball vs big-ball to an extent. Small-ball can't can be completely overwhelmed though. It's not like they've been a failure. They've been a final four machine. How many NCAA championships in last four years using small ball? UCONN needs two post players in the lineup.:rolleyes:

With that said, I have no idea what a kid wants when she transfers or exactly what Geno is looking for other than "size and talent" in some manner, I don't think frosh and soph's that are centers are going to accept anything less than starting and getting at least 25 minutes. With that said they had better be "terrific" rather than just "big and decent." I always suspected Geno tried to purposely recruit big and decent posts. :rolleyes:

I'm concerned with some of the comments regarding Edwards as a SF. I don't see her as a SF for UCONN tean UCONN style. . I don't doubt she can "play it decently" but UCONN is not looking for top recruits to be "decent" that they get in as recruits long-term. I'm hopeful she is a long term very good PF that can play some center. If she can't be at least a very good PF then she'll get surpassed imo. See quote below: “Playing for the Canadian National Team has given Aaliyah a tremendous amount of confidence and a lot of exposure to really good basketball at a really high level. She’s tough, she’s aggressive, she goes all out all the time. She can become an amazing defender for us, she can become a scorer that scores from a lot of different places. I think we’re getting a really mature, experience player that can play a lot of different positions for us.” — Auriemma

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exaggerate much. No one said "every player". My point was that there are some players for whom the overall UConn experience is sufficiently attractive that they are willing to ride the pine. Why is it so difficult to believe that people are different, and that not everyone approaches life the way you do. Different strokes for different folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom