Transfer thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As Olddude mentioned she seems more suited to playing the two-guard than the point. However, she is perfectly capable of playing the point but just would rather play like a two. For the first part of this season, she did play the point well. But is seems like she decided she didn't want to do that.

One problem with Oregon was that Pivec and Slocum, who got to be really good buddies over the summer seemed to carry it over on to the court. The played catch with each other freezing out any other guards on the floor. It was either pass into the post or either one or the other would take it off the dribble. It damaged both their games. It was most obvious by how many times they ended up picking up their dibbles which often ended in turnovers and desperation passes. What players sometimes forget is that college ball is also about developing skills for the next level of play and that includes decision making.

I feel Slocum really is making a mistake transferring out. She will have to play the point at the next level and what she needs to learn is when to take it for herself when to pass or set up someone else. She will not learn that playing the shooting guard.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- As the late great Kenny Rodgers would advise-- You got to know when to hold up, know when to put it up, know when to pass away, know when to drive. You never leave a program if it teaches you to be stable, there'll be time enough for leaving when next seasons done. ;)
Slocum and Pivec played for Oregon State, not Oregon. A significant difference. Why willtalk gets on multiple boards throughout the country and attempts to convince people about playing time decision mistakes made by Oregon's Kelly Graves and why Oregon State's offense should have been more efficient this past season is mindboggling. He should stick to posting about programs that he knows more about.

There are so many things incorrect with his above post that I don't know where to start, but I will make a few comments as a big fan of Oregon State. Slocum and Pivec both averaged at least 4.5 assists last season. They both had A:T ratios of close to 2.0. Slocum shot 45% from the field and Pivec was just over 50%. Both averaged almost 15 points per game on very efficient shooting percentages, especially for guards. Neither player was a volume shooter with Slocum averaging about 12.5 shots per game and Pivec at 11.1 shots per game.

To write that either player "froze" her teammates out on offense is simply not accurate. As for the two players becoming friends last summer, they actually practiced together for two seasons at OSU prior to the '19-'20 season and have known each other since early in their AAU careers in adjacent states, much like many of the players in the OSU program and teammates in other programs throughout the country. Willtalk is fabricating his own "facts" about things at OSU that he really knows little about.

Slocum will be better off in a program that allows her more freedom. She will find a program that will allow her to play the point. OSU fans and her teammates will miss her next season. Slocum wasn't a ball hog at OSU. If anything, she should have taken more shots for the Beavers. She ran the offense that Scott Rueck demanded. If she didn't, she would find her way to the bench. Players at Oregon State aren't allowed to ad lib offensively. It is a very controlled offensive scheme as all close observers of the Beavers know. Slocum should flourish in a program that allows her to run more and get out in transition.

I do like the late Kenny Rogers and "The Gambler". But, willtalk may have ruined that song for me forever with his improvised lyrics....

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not happening, people.

Collier may or may not transfer, but it won't be to UConn.

Some myths die hard. This one is right up there with "maybe Megan changes her mind and comes back for her senior year".
Kill joy!!!! Just like the Connecticut Lottery, I have a dollar and a dream... ;)

Reaction Score
I am not a fan of UCONN trying to slow down the game but am a fan of winning. (1) How slow was the Doolson teams? I prefer small-ball vs big-ball to an extent. (2) Small-ball can't can be completely overwhelmed though. It's not like they've been a failure. They've been a final four machine. (3) How many NCAA championships in last four years using small ball? UCONN needs two post players in the lineup.:rolleyes:

With that said, I have no idea what a kid wants when she transfers or exactly what Geno is looking for other than "size and talent" in some manner, I don't think frosh and soph's that are centers are going to accept anything less than starting and getting at least 25 minutes. With that said they had better be "terrific" rather than just "big and decent." (4) I always suspected Geno tried to purposely recruit big and decent posts. :rolleyes:

I'm concerned with some of the comments regarding Edwards as a SF. I don't see her as a SF for UCONN tean UCONN style. . I don't doubt she can "play it decently" but UCONN is not looking for top recruits to be "decent" that they get in as recruits long-term. I'm hopeful she is a long term very good PF that can play some center. If she can't be at least a very good PF then she'll get surpassed imo. (5) See quote below: “Playing for the Canadian National Team has given Aaliyah a tremendous amount of confidence and a lot of exposure to really good basketball at a really high level. She’s tough, she’s aggressive, she goes all out all the time. She can become an amazing defender for us, she can become a scorer that scores from a lot of different places. I think we’re getting a really mature, experience player that can play a lot of different positions for us.” — Auriemma

You are completely and totally mis-reading my post. It's okay. I can understand. Soemtimes it's how I write. :)

1-- When I said I am a fan of winning which meant-- I am more of a fan of winning rather than playing small-ball. This means I would easily/gladly give up watching my team give up playing the style I like a lot more which is small ball vs winning.

2-- I used the words "to an extent" and "though" which were qualifiers which meant despite my preference to small ball I was confirming that it can be overwhelmed. So yes I agree with you. I don't want my team being overwhelmed by my own individual preference of play. I enjoy an 80-77 game much much much more than a 55-52 game. I enjoy winning more ofc. So I'll take the 55-52 over losing no doubt 100% but will replay more the 80-77 win.

3-- Now that we got 1 and 2 out of the way - your question about how many championships isn't "as" necessary is it? Because we're in some manner of agreement? I do agree the 2018-2019 team was overwhelmed with size. And this year's team was overwhelmed by it. But I hope you aren't suggesting this program has been a failure over the last 4+ years. It would be like saying a student with a 93 or 98 grade is a failure because he or she didn't score a 95 or a 100.

4-- My point regarding they better get "terrific" vs "decent" was more pointed to the opinions of "Natalie Butler types" in which you go after "size" no matter what. For example there was a poster on here I went back-and-forth with and he implied or felt Geno Auriemma blew it by not playing Natalie more. All I was doing here was speaking of "philosophy" that I think some might favor which I don't "as much;"-- and that is some want to go big and slow down the game with big slow decent players in order to better defend. I prefer to have "enough" size" in which the opposing team can't defend us with their bigs. Not directed at Geno at all. Directed at the philosophy of big vs small. Certainly there are posters on here who prefer slow the game down or prefer to go with priority of defense. I offer another view. I offer an opposing view to this. The 01-02 team, the Maya Moore teams in which she played PF and the Stewie led teams all were "small" in some manner whether it be pf or center. DT's 02-03 team got wiped out in the finals by Tenn on the glass. .

5--- I'm not sure what the point is about number 5? I said the following in bold which I also highlighted above:
"I'm hopeful she is a long term very good PF that can play some center." I'm saying she can be a 4/PF and play some 5/C. That is "multiple positions," isn't it? So what was your point about #5? I agree with you and I agree with Geno. She can probably play multiple positions. :)

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Interesting entrant into the transfer portal:

A product of Edwin O. Smith HS in Storrs, CT.
McKenna Dale, a 6'0" junior guard at Brown, averaged 13.4 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.9 apg this season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Oh wow, great selling point. I'm sure every player in the transfer portal would love to be the next benchwarmer playing nothing but garbage minutes at UConn.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I truly love Evelyn, her personality and her character. I love all that she had to say in that interview, and I'm grateful she found a home at UConn, even if for just one season. I didn't mean to negate her experience and the value she found in it. I believe I said this at the time the interview first came out: Her words are a testament to the amazing culture that Geno and CD have built.

I'm actually a big believer that a program's culture is at least as revealed in the experience and words of the last player off the bench, as it is in the All-Americans.

I guess what I so inartfully was attempting to say was that I don't think many transfers enter the portal with a vision of being one of the last players off the bench. I also don't think Geno is in the habit of offering scholarships to players—transfers or not—if he doesn't think they have the *potential* to significantly contribute on the court. We're all well aware that his bar is very high and his minutes aren't given lightly. Some get there and some don't.

Geno himself said, after Evelyn played a then-season-high 11 minutes against Houston, that she'd seemed to have turned a corner after the Christmas break, that before the break she had been at the risk of this being a "wasted season" (his words, not mine). Evelyn did play double-digit minutes in several AAC games, but only 1 minute vs. Oregon and DNP vs. South Carolina.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wonder if any of the current players in the portal will now change their minds? :rolleyes:
I think many will. The season being in jeopardy is a much bigger issue in my mind. I think college itself is also going to look quite different for a while in a post COVID- 19 world, if we ever get there. I think the NCAA would be flooded with transfer waiver request and potential lawsuits if they make people wait one year.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

That doesn't seem to be fair to players transferring or contemplating it for the 20-21 season. I would imagine multiple lawsuits (or a class action lawsuit) from players in the portal against the NCAA would be filed.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I doubt now UConn will get anyone transferring there now if they believe the NCAA will never give UConn a waiver for transfers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hypothetical situation: A player in the portal decides to transfer immediately, for the 2020-21 season. The pandemic wipes out the entire 2020-21 season. Can the player play immediately in 2021-22, or does she need to sit out a year of actual play?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Which other schools did Destiny Slocum consider before deciding to transfer to Oregon State? I remember some comment about "west of the Mississippi", but don't recall all the details.

Reaction Score
Which other schools did Destiny Slocum consider before deciding to transfer to Oregon State? I remember some comment about "west of the Mississippi", but don't recall all the details.
UCLA and Arkansas. She and Vic would make for an interesting duo.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hypothetical situation: A player in the portal decides to transfer immediately, for the 2020-21 season. The pandemic wipes out the entire 2020-21 season. Can the player play immediately in 2021-22, or does she need to sit out a year of actual play?
The current rule is you have to be enrolled at a school for an academic year to become eligible - nothing about there having to be games played during that year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The current rule is you have to be enrolled at a school for an academic year to become eligible - nothing about there having to be games played during that year.
Thanks! Enrollment is the key. That seems clear.

Reaction Score
I am not a fan of UCONN trying to slow down the game but am a fan of winning. How slow was the Dolson lead teams? I prefer small-ball vs big-ball to an extent. Small-ball can't can be completely overwhelmed though. It's not like they've been a failure. They've been a final four machine. How many NCAA championships in last four years using small ball? UCONN needs two post players in the lineup.:rolleyes:

With that said, I have no idea what a kid wants when she transfers or exactly what Geno is looking for other than "size and talent" in some manner, I don't think frosh and soph's that are centers are going to accept anything less than starting and getting at least 25 minutes. With that said they had better be "terrific" rather than just "big and decent." I always suspected Geno tried to purposely recruit big and decent posts. :rolleyes:

I'm concerned with some of the comments regarding Edwards as a SF. I don't see her as a SF for UCONN tean UCONN style. . I don't doubt she can "play it decently" but UCONN is not looking for top recruits to be "decent" that they get in as recruits long-term. I'm hopeful she is a long term very good PF that can play some center. If she can't be at least a very good PF then she'll get surpassed imo. See quote below: “Playing for the Canadian National Team has given Aaliyah a tremendous amount of confidence and a lot of exposure to really good basketball at a really high level. She’s tough, she’s aggressive, she goes all out all the time. She can become an amazing defender for us, she can become a scorer that scores from a lot of different places. I think we’re getting a really mature, experience player that can play a lot of different positions for us.” — Auriemma

SVCBeercats: Is coloring book mode really necessary?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69