Transfer thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Another exodus seems to be coming - Massengill is already in the portal, Greene (after sitting out a year and rehabbing) has now made the decision to remove all Tennessee photos from her IG and apparently has stopped following everyone on the team. Collins and Westbrook already left, and Evina came to UCONN. But who is still there? Rennia Davis. Yeah I know things, but that is literally all I will ever say on the topic.
Then why say anything? I'm confused...Besides, this is the BY.

Reaction Score
I felt bad for Kellie; seemingly a likable person whom (even UConn fans) were not unhappy to see succeed.

Now, for a second year, she is losing some of the biggest talents
on her squad As is usual in these situs, lips are shut, info is nil, at best drivel and platitudes abound.

But is it not possible that Kellie pushed a bit, encouraged this movement...Felt that this talent, while gifted, are not suited to play within her system and decided ...let's start over in my image and take what ever lumps accrue.

Not impossible.

Can’t blame her for Evina or Collins. And whomever leaves... they weren’t her recruit either.

Reaction Score
Definite possibility. Also could just be that she doesnt click as well with KJH as she did Holly. Very common with new coaching staff. Holly was an awful coach but a fantastic recruiter and usually kept her good players all 4 years. I'm sure the experience is much different under KJH compared to Holly so it makes sense that some players dont love it and will opt to transfer. Big challenge for KJH is can she land a decent transfer or 2. Her recruiting has not impressed so far.
Sometimes all it takes is 1-2 seasons of success to change a program's direction. While its too early to know, it is entertaining to read VolNation.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There have been problems at Tenn for years. Kelly needs to build her own team with her own recruits. Let the chips fall where they may and give her a chance. Shes a good person and will do fine. With that said we play at Tenn next season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are some suggestions that Massingale’s transfer and possibly Green, if she chooses to transfer, are the result of KJH trying to instill discipline on a program that clearly lacked discipline under the prior coaching staff. Maybe so.

I have to wonder if it isn’t actually the reverse. Horston is an incredible talent, as well as one of the most undisciplined players I’ve seen, both on offense and defense. As a freshman, who was starting, you would expect Horston to have improved significantly over the course of the season, just like Anna & Aubrey. Unfortunately, at the end of the season, she was still making terrible decisions with the ball in her hands and breaking down defensively, particularly against quick guards like Crystal.

When HW was fired, Horston briefly made some noise about reconsidering her commitment to TN. One of the very first things KJH did when she was hired was to travel to OH to meet with Horston and her family to secure her recommitment.

What did KJH have to promise Horston? Specifically, did she commit to Horston that she would be their pg? Many people believe Horston is far more suited to the 2 or 3 spot. She clearly isn’t disciplined enough at this point in her career to play pg in the SEC, and yet that’s where she was all season, turning the ball over and struggling to guard opposing pg’s.

In many ways, the situation at TN may be similar to TX A&M, where Chennedy Carter, also an incredible talent, had free reign to dominate the ball for good or bad, often at the expense of her teammates.

Reaction Score
Another exodus seems to be coming - Massengill is already in the portal, Greene (after sitting out a year and rehabbing) has now made the decision to remove all Tennessee photos from her IG and apparently has stopped following everyone on the team. Collins and Westbrook already left, and Evina came to UCONN. But who is still there? Rennia Davis. Yeah I know things, but that is literally all I will ever say on the topic.

well the only thing I know about Davis is that she is crazy talented and with the right coaching could be a great addition.........

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
There are some suggestions that Massingale’s transfer and possibly Green, if she chooses to transfer, are the result of KJH trying to instill discipline on a program that clearly lacked discipline under the prior coaching staff. Maybe so.

I have to wonder if it isn’t actually the reverse. Horston is an incredible talent, as well as one of the most undisciplined players I’ve seen, both on offense and defense. As a freshman, who was starting, you would expect Horston to have improved significantly over the course of the season, just like Anna & Aubrey. Unfortunately, at the end of the season, she was still making terrible decisions with the ball in her hands and breaking down defensively, particularly against quick guards like Crystal.

When HW was fired, Horston briefly made some noise about reconsidering her commitment to TN. One of the very first things KJH did when she was hired was to travel to OH to meet with Horston and her family to secure her recommitment.

What did KJH have to promise Horston? Specifically, did she commit to Horston that she would be their pg? Many people believe Horston is far more suited to the 2 or 3 spot. She clearly isn’t disciplined enough at this point in her career to play pg in the SEC, and yet that’s where she was all season, turning the ball over and struggling to guard opposing pg’s.

In many ways, the situation at TN may be similar to TX A&M, where Chennedy Carter, also an incredible talent, had free reign to dominate the ball for good or bad, often at the expense of her teammates.

Horston was kind of an enigma. On U17 USA she won MVP over Haley Jones, Boston, and Bueckers and had a 2.77 A/TO ratio. The competition wasnt the strongest, but based on that no one couldve expected how poor her decision making would be. Was also McDonald's AA game MVP. Just appeared to play way too fast and was rarely in a good rhythm out there.

I dont think Carter comparison is all that accurate. Carter was a much better scorer and a more ball dominant player than Horston. Chennedy wasn't good at sharing the ball and would chuck up 20-30 shots a night. Once even took 37 shots in a game. Horston was always unselfish but many times would made passes that put teammates in difficult spots or made flat out bad passes that would get stolen or couldn't be caught. Also, Carter by all measures was a much better freshman than Horston.

Coaches usually like to bring freshmen along slowly and have them continue to get more playing time over the course of the season as they adjust to the higher level of play. KJH didnt have that luxury and had to throw her into the fire early. When that happens, freshmen often times hit a wall and their play declines as the season continues. Happened with Christyn Williams and it happened with Evina Westbrook too. I think a full offseason to step back, slow down, and gain confidence will be huge for Horston. She is incredibly talented but just needs to slow down and not force things as much. Once she does she'll start playing better basketball.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Horston was kind of an enigma. On U17 USA she won MVP over Haley Jones, Boston, and Bueckers and had a 2.77 A/TO ratio. The competition wasnt the strongest, but based on that no one couldve expected how poor her decision making would be. Was also McDonald's AA game MVP. Just appeared to play way too fast and was rarely in a good rhythm out there.

I dont think Carter comparison is all that accurate. Carter was a much better scorer and a more ball dominant player than Horston. Chennedy wasn't good at sharing the ball and would chuck up 20-30 shots a night. Once even took 37 shots in a game. Horston was always unselfish but many times would made passes that put teammates in difficult spots or made flat out bad passes that would get stolen or couldn't be caught. Also, Carter by all measures was a much better freshman than Horston.

Coaches usually like to bring freshmen along slowly and have them continue to get more playing time over the course of the season as they adjust to the higher level of play. KJH didnt have that luxury and had to throw her into the fire early. When that happens, freshmen often times hit a wall and their play declines as the season continues. Happened with Christyn Williams and it happened with Evina Westbrook too. I think a full offseason to step back, slow down, and gain confidence will be huge for Horston. She is incredibly talented but just needs to slow down and not force things as much. Once she does she'll start playing better basketball.
I agree that Horston & Carter are different types of players. My comparison between the two is basically a suggestion that their impact on teammates may be similar, creating an environment where mistakes are tolerated because of a player’s ability.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Zay has a court date in a few days for a controlled substance....That should clear up the mystery....Good girl, that by her own words, made some decisions and actions that is now best for her to leave UT.

It’s interesting to me that Green’s simple possession charge is cause for parting ways but Horston’s picks up shoplifting charges and still gets to traverse Europe with the team.

There’s much more to this story...

Reaction Score
I think one main reason so many good recruits went to Tennessee was that there was little discipline there and they could play the way they wanted to play, without getting chewed out by the coach. So, now there is a coach there with structure and discipline and they don't want to deal with it.

That sounds like what Geno walked into at UConn, except his inherited roster was much less talented. Most of them left quickly.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
That sounds like what Geno walked into at UConn, except his inherited roster was much less talented. Most of them left quickly.
Thank you. I had never heard that before.

Reaction Score
It’s interesting to me that Green’s simple possession charge is cause for parting ways but Horston’s picks up shoplifting charges and still gets to traverse Europe with the team.

There’s much more to this story...

Believe that was Horston's first and only issue, not the case for Green.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Zay has a court date in a few days for a controlled substance....That should clear up the mystery....Good girl, that by her own words, made some decisions and actions that is now best for her to leave UT.

Reports the courts are closed and these proceeding delayed.

Reaction Score
Understand Kelly inherited problems at Tenn that have been going on since Geno got Maya and this all started. Kelly comes in with discipline and structure and some dont like it. Thats fine but there are other problems at Tenn and you will never hear about them. Kelly will have to rebuild the program.
That problem raises it's head just about every year. Almost exactly a year ago it was a headline in the Knoxville news.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If I may interject a bit of rational thought here, the truth is we don't know why Jaz Massengale decided to put her name in the portal and to speculate that it is solely about discipline is irresponsible as if Jaz doesn't have it and doesn't want it. We have no idea. The speculation with Green was also running a bit off the rails as we now know she was arrested and has a court date. She's electing to leave the LV Basketball program and the truth is we don't know if she violated the AD behavior policy, violated a team policy or just thinks she really needs a change of scenery for her life. If anything, it sounds like she wants to do some soul searching and has nothing to do with KJH. For me, I happen to be impressed with how KJH holds herself, assesses her teams performance in both pregame and postgame pressers. Whether she can recruit and coach at an elite P5 level is unknown but her Missouri State team continued it's swag this year without her so I think I am willing to give her a chance.

Let's just behave more responsibly on the comments and not act like that dope Coach Jumper or any of the other VolNation flock some. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Believe that was Horston's first and only issue, not the case for Green.
does it have something to do with an Ex lady vol she might be trying to get away from?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oregon State’s Destiny Slocum has entered the transfer portal. I guess being close to home is not all that it’s cracked up to be, unless she plans to simply move across the state from Corvallis to Eugene.

Reaction Score
Oregon State’s Destiny Slocum has entered the transfer portal. I guess being close to home is not all that it’s cracked up to be, unless she plans to simply move across the state from Corvallis to Eugene.
That would be my guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger