Transfer thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Will y’all stop on the tattoos? Goodness.

If Geno wants a player who already has visible tattoos, he’ll offer them and work out a deal.

Beyond that, it’s just worthless bickering that ALWAYS ends in demeaning young women who choose to get tattooed.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Oh the times they are a changing. We are all wondering whether or not UConn will
have a player with purple & yellow braids next season. UConn has had players with small tattoos. Gabby & Saniya come to mind. We just never saw their tattoos.

Geno and CD are relaxing some of the rules, albeit at a glacial pace. But I do understand the dividing line on tattoos. Tattoos are certainly much more common today, particularly among basketball players. But Geno and CD have always been about so much more than basketball. They are training these young ladies for life after basketball.

I spent 40+ years at various Fortune 100 corporations. During that period of time, I met a lot of intelligent, capable and professional women. Not a single one of those women had tattoos up and down their arms, head and face.

Think about all the women who’ve played for Geno and CD over the years who are now business executives, head coaches, professional announcers and so on. UConn WBB players are incredibly successful once they leave Storrs. Think about Rebecca, Swin, Sue, Maya, Pheesa and so many others who all convey an image of poise, intelligence and professionalism.

Bell is a very good basketball player and she may be a wonderful young lady. But before you begin to evaluate her basketball ability, you have to ask yourself a simple question. Does she fit in at UConn?
I agree. These young ladies won't play basketball all their lives. I believe CD is looking to the point in their lives when the air goes out of the basketball. Then what? If there are two ladies with the same amount of education applying for the same job at the same company where they will be visible to the general public and one of them have tattoos showing on their face or arms, I believe they will choose the one without tattoos.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Coach Wooden didn’t allow facial hair. My understanding is that it was something to do with discipline like making your bed. Some programs make their players wear coats and ties when they are entering the arena for games or are hurt on the bench. Again it was for discipline and appearance. It may be the rule started as “you are not allowed to get tattoos when here”. Further not as many high schoolers had tattoos in the past as they do now.
Wooden had a lot of rules. Walton said the first thing Wooden did in the gym when he got there was to show them all how to properly tie their shoes. None of them were allowed to start practice unless their shoes were tied exactly the way Wooden wanted it.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It wasn't until after I joined the Boneyard that I realized that Geno/CD enforced such strict standards on appearance. As tattoos have become increasingly prevalent and mainstream over the past 10-15 years, I'm not sure what net purpose such a prohibition is really serving. My knee-jerk reaction is to think: is it a basketball program or a convent? But then again, I'm not the one with the 11 championship rings.
The appearance standards are a 24 hour deal. CD enforces a dress code. She even made DT tie her shoes. As far as the tat situation all UConn players to date have had tape over visible tattoos. There was one exception to the best of my recollection. Saniya had a small tattoo of the date her brother died on her wrist. Other than that everyone has covered their tats.

It is a basketball program that enforces discipline in many areas of life and it seems to have been successful on and off the court.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Coach Wooden didn’t allow facial hair. My understanding is that it was something to do with discipline like making your bed. Some programs make their players wear coats and ties when they are entering the arena for games or are hurt on the bench. Again it was for discipline and appearance. It may be the rule started as “you are not allowed to get tattoos when here”. Further not as many high schoolers had tattoos in the past as they do now.
The first session of the year with coach wooden was how to put your socks on. Winning coaches stress the details that some think are foolish.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wooden had a lot of rules. Walton said the first thing Wooden did in the gym when he got there was to show them all how to properly tie their shoes. None of them were allowed to start practice unless their shoes were tied exactly the way Wooden wanted it.

Sorta OT, but this reminded me of something else. I seem to recall reading something about John Roskelley, widely regarded as the top American mountaineer of his generation. If another climber had to retie the laces on his boots on an approach march to a climb, John would refuse to tie into a rope with said climber. He figured if someone couldn't keep their shoes tied, he wasn't going to put his life in their hands sharing a rope with them.

edit--I worked with John's niece for a number of years. She was about as far away from being a climber or outdoorsy at all as a person could possibly be. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Wooden had a lot of rules that would scare away a lot of kids that weren’t getting Sam Gilbert’s money.

Reaction Score
I agree. These young ladies won't play basketball all their lives. I believe CD is looking to the point in their lives when the air goes out of the basketball. Then what? If there are two ladies with the same amount of education applying for the same job at the same company where they will be visible to the general public and one of them have tattoos showing on their face or arms, I believe they will choose the one without tattoos.
Not for nothing, but by the time they are out of basketball, the head of human resources and the head of the company might have tattoos themselves. Not my thing, but then beards weren't our parents thing andshowing an ankle wasn't our grandparents' thing. Or am I dating myself?

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but by the time they are out of basketball, the head of human resources and the head of the company might have tattoos themselves. Not my thing, but then beards weren't our parents thing andshowing an ankle wasn't our grandparents' thing. Or am I dating myself?

with social distancing, dating yourself is the best way!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
In the military, many things that you have to do seemed pointless, especially in boot camp, like shining your shoes, folding your clothing in a precise manner, making up your rack, etc. but once you graduated boot camp, you were allowed to live off base, wear coraform (?) shoes and so on. But the real purpose was to learn to follow orders and to make sure everyone's uniform were in fact uniform. So I get these UConn rules and am glad that they are still enforced. But even if they are someday relaxed, I would hate to ever see a Huskie wearing diaper shorts. That would be terrible, IMO.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In the military, many things that you have to do seemed pointless, especially in boot camp, like shining your shoes, folding your clothing in a precise manner, making up your rack, etc. but once you graduated boot camp, you were allowed to live off base, wear coraform (?) shoes and so on. But the real purpose was to learn to follow orders and to make sure everyone's uniform were in fact uniform. So I get these UConn rules and am glad that they are still enforced. But even if they are someday relaxed, I would hate to ever see a Huskie wearing diaper shorts. That would be terrible, IMO.

That would only happen if Geno was wearing diaper shorts. :rolleyes:

JordyG

Reaction Score
That would only happen if Geno was wearing diaper shorts. :rolleyes:
1585438019701.png

Reaction Score
I have a question. If a player enters the transfer portal under one head coach, that head coach is fired and replaced another coach. The player still transfers despite the coaching chance, should player transferring count against the former coach or the new coach?

JordyG

Reaction Score
I have a question. If a player enters the transfer portal under one head coach, that head coach is fired and replaced another coach. The player still transfers despite the coaching chance, should player transferring count against the former coach or the new coach?
I've other questions. If the NCAA allows seniors to return for one more season, can that senior then transfer and play for another team after one year? If The NCAA allows for a one time transfer without penalty, can that returning senior then transfer without penalty?

Reaction Score
I've other questions. If the NCAA allows seniors to return for one more season, can that senior then transfer and play for another team after one year? If The NCAA allows for a one time transfer without penalty, can that returning senior then transfer without penalty?

You could've asked that question without quoting my question. I got a notification and assumed it was a answer to my question.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not really clear on the question. Why does it have to “count against” one coach or the other? A student-athlete transfers from a school, not a coach.

Reaction Score
Not really clear on the question. Why does it have to “count against” one coach or the other? A student-athlete transfers from a school, not a coach.
That's true, but when the topic about Maryland's transfers came up, it was more about what was going on with Brenda more than just the school. The count against one coach against the other is coming from schools like Georgia Tech and UNC that are still having players transfer out despite the coaching changes. To be fair, Coach Banghart wasn't renewing the scholarships of 3 of 5 players who entered the transfer portal this season.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The NCAA already announced that they are unlikely to grant additional eligibility to current seniors.

Reaction Score
In other words, "Should Evina's transfer out of TN count against Holly or Kelly?"

I don't think official statistics are kept regarding what coach transfers count against.

Reaction Score
The NCAA already announced that they are unlikely to grant additional eligibility to current seniors.
Official word re: eligibility relief for winter and spring sports athletes is likely to be announced tomorrow by the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Official word re: eligibility relief for winter and spring sports athletes is likely to be announced tomorrow by the NCAA.
If they allowed the current seniors (in winter sports) another year of eligibility it would completely change the landscape for the coming season in women’s college basketball and the WNBA since most of the drafted players were seniors. I wonder which of the players with serious WNBA or overseas potential would actually return. Imagine Oregon, Baylor, or South Carolina with their respective seniors back. It was also give the highest profile players another bargaining chip if they could threaten to return if they don’t like the potential offers they are hearing to enter the draft.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If they allowed the current seniors (in winter sports) another year of eligibility it would completely change the landscape for the coming season in women’s college basketball and the WNBA since most of the drafted players were seniors. I wonder which of the players with serious WNBA or overseas potential would actually return. Imagine Oregon, Baylor, or South Carolina with their respective seniors back. It was also give the highest profile players another bargaining chip if they could threaten to return if they don’t like the potential offers they are hearing to enter the draft.

Wow that'd be nuts if they let seniors get another year of eligibility. Grad transfers would be everywhere and several programs will run out of scholarships. Biggest blow would be to underclassmen who were likely primed to step into bigger roles with seniors departing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom