Transfer Portal | Page 54 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's a Gaffney-esque finisher at the rim and far too much work in the midrange, which definitely hurts his efficiency. But he's a more consistent shooter than Gaffney, so he's okay on efficiency in the end.

RAPM and on/off see him as a replacement level player, partially because the guys he played instead of (Maddox and Cattoor) were lights out shooters this year with 120+ ORTGs. Overall the team was +10 pts/100 with him off the court (but they were still a very good offense with him on the court). The troubling thing is the trend continues into previous years. All 3 years the teams offense has been better with him off the court. I think I'd rather pass for a better option, if at all possible. Feels like we're trading a Gaffney for another Gaffney.

Agree on him being a replacement level player but I think Gaffney is worse than replacement level. Some of his defensive stuff looks good on paper but what we need from this role is so limited with the way we want to play. Hit 3's and don't make bone-headed turnovers. Gaff was never able to fill that niche and while there may be a fine player in there somewhere, he just plays scared and without confidence.

The Coastal kid is more intriguing, for sure. As is Dawes, who I'm unsure if we are associated with.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
No insider has confirmed Castle reclassifying. It's an educated guess right now based on tea leaves and an inference based on Castle's recent tweet. I feel like it's about a 60/40 likelihood at this point, but I still am not sure how much he necessarily helps this year being a 17 year old kid (though he should definitely play and not redshirt). We still need at least one more 1/2 that can generate his own offense and handle the ball. After that, we may just need bodies. Only currently have 8 scholarship players right now. Castle would make 9. Would like to go into the season with at least 11.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What if they made the players spend two years at their initial choice and then they get a one-time transfer? I'd make an exception if coach gets fired but it would basically give a player a chance to go to two schools during their playing eligibility.

Reaction Score
What if they made the players spend two years at their initial choice and then they get a one-time transfer? I'd make an exception if coach gets fired but it would basically give a player a chance to go to two schools during their playing eligibility.
I tend to think it's better for a player to transfer out early. You get to improve under a coach the majority of your career, and the education side isn't totally out of whack.

Reaction Score
No insider has confirmed Castle reclassifying. It's an educated guess right now based on tea leaves and an inference based on Castle's recent tweet. I feel like it's about a 60/40 likelihood at this point, but I still am not sure how much he necessarily helps this year being a 17 year old kid (though he should definitely play and not redshirt). We still need at least one more 1/2 that can generate his own offense and handle the ball. After that, we may just need bodies. Only currently have 8 scholarship players right now. Castle would make 9. Would like to go into the season with at least 11.
My guess is Castle will reclassify is he qualifies

Reaction Score
Just an excerpt from a New Haven Register article written by Mike Anthony, that I just read regarding Hurley's comments to the media:

Hurley’s time with the media began with a general question about the portal and he joked, “By the time I’m done answering, there will probably be a couple more guys in.”

Hurley seemed more optimistic in the rest of the article, but acknowledged the challenges all teams face with the portal.

Also, Mike Anthony made the following comment:

Many players in the portal are expected to wind up without a landing spot — or a desired landing spot — when the process is concluded.

He based it on the crowded landscape from the extra Covid year, adding to the pool of players.

Reaction Score
Just an excerpt from a New Haven Register article written by Mike Anthony, that I just read regarding Hurley's comments to the media:

Hurley’s time with the media began with a general question about the portal and he joked, “By the time I’m done answering, there will probably be a couple more guys in.”

Hurley seemed more optimistic in the rest of the article, but acknowledged the challenges all teams face with the portal.

Many players in the portal are expected to wind up without a landing spot — or a desired landing spot — when the process is concluded.

He based it on the crowded landscape from the extra Covid year, adding to the pool of players.
Very quiet with regards to Gaffney’s recruitment. Really wonder where he ends up.

Reaction Score
Great now people want us bringing in 3rd Team All Mountain West players. LOL! Jk. Sounds like he got disrespected due to how bad Nevada was this past season.
Kid is actually really solid- don’t be surprised he winds up at a Baylor or top program- a lot of Remy Martin in him…..

Reaction Score

Would be good to link the article. It was a pretty good one.

“It’s not chaos,” Jackson said. “Most of us, honestly, already knew the guys that were going to leave. We had the feelings, we had the emotions. When you’re with guys every single day and you see what their daily routine is and you see how they go about things and how they feel, emotionally and mentally, being here, you can tell when it takes a lot out of a person.”

What’s happening inside the UConn men’s basketball program as players come and go? ‘It’s not chaos’

Reaction Score
Dumb question about reclassifying. Is Castle just missing his senior year of HS? Sounds amazing.

Reaction Score

For those wondering - not a single UConn player mentioned......
True, but since it’s the guys who were unhappy about their PT who left, probably not surprising. And at least we’re in the picture on the ”transfer-in” side.

Besides getting Newton, we’re still pursuing Ramey and Carter, so who knows? (But why would a kid want to transfer to West Virginia?!)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Would be good to link the article. It was a pretty good one.

“It’s not chaos,” Jackson said. “Most of us, honestly, already knew the guys that were going to leave. We had the feelings, we had the emotions. When you’re with guys every single day and you see what their daily routine is and you see how they go about things and how they feel, emotionally and mentally, being here, you can tell when it takes a lot out of a person.”

What’s happening inside the UConn men’s basketball program as players come and go? ‘It’s not chaos’
“A lot of guys left and I respect their decision,” said Jackson, set to be the vocal leader and one of the most prominent public faces for the 2022-23 Huskies. “But I feel like the strongest people survive, in a sense. It’s always good to know that everybody who’s here wants to be here. Everybody that is here is really locked in and committed to bringing UConn back and breaking that barrier.

My interpretation: Those that remain bleed blue and those that left had bloody noses. AJ already sounds like a coach.

Reaction Score
“A lot of guys left and I respect their decision,” said Jackson, set to be the vocal leader and one of the most prominent public faces for the 2022-23 Huskies. “But I feel like the strongest people survive, in a sense. It’s always good to know that everybody who’s here wants to be here. Everybody that is here is really locked in and committed to bringing UConn back and breaking that barrier.

My interpretation: Those that remain bleed blue and those that left had bloody noses. AJ already sounds like a coach.
To be fair to Diggins and Gaff, I think it's pretty clear that Hurley and them came to a mutual understanding that they were being recruited over and they were basically flushed out. I don't think anyone can have any ill will towards them leaving. The Floyd and Akok situation may be slightly different in the eyes of Jackson. I could be way off on my assessment but I think he is a little mad they didn't stay and fight for minutes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
To be fair to Diggins and Gaff, I think it's pretty clear that Hurley and them came to a mutual understanding that they were being recruited over and they were basically flushed out. I don't think anyone can have any ill will towards them leaving. The Floyd and Akok situation may be slightly different in the eyes of Jackson. I could be way off on my assessment but I think he is a little mad they didn't stay and fight for minutes.
I don’t bear ill will against any of the transfers. It’s their life and they need to make decisions what to do with it.

FWIW from the article I have the same opinion about Hurley, Sool and Jalen.

My guess is AJ understands why the players are leaving but would have preferred they remained with the program. My biggest shout out is that he gives a nod to Ritchie. Which is why I feel he would have preferred all the transfers remained. However imo he’s moved on already while us Boneyard chuckleheads languish in our emotions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom