Transfer Portal | Page 52 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting we were supposed to infer that Corey Floyd Jr was transferring from your post that Dan Hurley is like the AD at your daughter's Catholic HS?
I confess I didn't get it. Especially the AD reference as opposed to Principal. I can imagine, having had a kid go K-12 in Catholic school recently, some parallels. We had a choice of two HS and know many kids who went to each. The one she picked ended up being overly strict and nitpicky about so many things. The other one gave the kids a little more freedom and individuality.

It wouldn't surprise me if playing for Dan Hurley is pretty constricting and not a lot of fun. All season I commented on how freaking tight our team seemed. The just weren't loose much of the time, and I think it caused some of the shooting woes, especially among guys like Hawk, but probably Gaff as well. Then the tweet from Slater talked about Hurley finding guys who are mentally tough, and Stacey Castle made related comments.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I confess I didn't get it. Especially the AD reference as opposed to Principal. I can imagine, having had a kid go K-12 in Catholic school recently, some parallels. We had a choice of two HS and know many kids who went to each. The one she picked ended up being overly strict and nitpicky about so many things. The other one gave the kids a little more freedom and individuality.

It wouldn't surprise me if playing for Dan Hurley is pretty constricting and not a lot of fun. All season I commented on how freaking tight our team seemed. The just weren't loose much of the time, and I think it caused some of the shooting woes, especially among guys like Hawk, but probably Gaff as well. Then the tweet from Slater talked about Hurley finding guys who are mentally tough, and Stacey Castle made related comments.
Third hand, but I heard from a friend with a good source two weeks ago that Hurley might be wearing players out with his over-the-top stuff.

Reaction Score
Love his game. He's a good player
Me too. Really love his game. Skilled 4 man.

Did he get hurt or simply get no run? I def saw that transfer as a tamper but I guess there was a coaching change in retrospect.

Reaction Score
The thing is, I know our backcourt is the top priority right now, but I feel like we could use a good shooter who plays the wing. Any good options other than Shannon who I doubt we'll get?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Marquette's Justin Lewis declared for draft while maintaining eligibility. Which leaves Shaka in a spot where he's also going to have to look to the portal for a replacement. If Lewis doesn't get drafted, it'll be after the portal deadline, so I'm not sure what that means - does he have to go back to Marquette if he opts to not play G league or overseas? This new world has me confused...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This new world has me confused...
lawyer caveman GIF

Reaction Score
I’ve seen lots of tweets in the past referring to Minnesota as a landing spot for Dawson Garcia. Not sure if there’s actual smoke there or if it’s just because he’s from there. I’m a big fan of his game as well and hope it works out for him at his next destination.

Reaction Score

Did he get hurt or simply get no run? I def saw that transfer as a tamper but I guess there was a coaching change in retrospect.
Garcia left the team to go home halfway through the season. I think there was some sort of family medical issue. My guess is he wants to transfer to a school near his hometown

Reaction Score

Says he had some family issues and didn’t return for the second half of the season

Reaction Score

How many of the elite coaches in basketball do you think aren't strict? Imagine what a Coach K practice is like? Jay Wright? Musselman? Look at all the HOF coaches in the past. You don't get to that level by running a program that cares more about "fun" than winning. There is a fine line between being over the top strict and taking time to enjoy your successes though, I'll admit that.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
They need to reinstate the year sit rule. This is total madness, every kid with any minor gripe is going to transfer. This all highly favors big name teams and big media market teams. You find a diamond in the rough through scouting, he’s gone. You spend a year developing a kid instead of playing him, he’s gone. It’s so frustrating.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How many of the elite coaches in basketball do you think aren't strict? Imagine what a Coach K practice is like? Jay Wright? Musselman? Look at all the HOF coaches in the past. You don't get to that level by running a program that cares more about "fun" than winning. There is a fine line between being over the top strict and taking time to enjoy your successes though, I'll admit that.
Oh for sure. Calhoun was. But there are coaches that let young guys play through mistakes, who encourage guys to shoot out of slumps, and there are coaches who can't handle that very well. So far, Hurley has had too short a leash with several players. None of us knows where the line is for each player and coach. It's on the coach to find that line, every player will react differently to encouragement and criticism. But it wouldn't surprise me if some guys get tired of his act, especially if they don't think his words match his actions. Hurley said he'd have a mutiny if he didn't play the best guys...well, he's got a mutiny of sorts.

Reaction Score
Oh for sure. Calhoun was. But there are coaches that let young guys play through mistakes, who encourage guys to shoot out of slumps, and there are coaches who can't handle that very well. So far, Hurley has had too short a leash with several players. None of us knows where the line is for each player and coach. It's on the coach to find that line, every player will react differently to encouragement and criticism. But it wouldn't surprise me if some guys get tired of his act, especially if they don't think his words match his actions. Hurley said he'd have a mutiny if he didn't play the best guys...well, he's got a mutiny of sorts.
Key words there are "his best guys". The first 2 guys left because they weren't good enough to even get on the court. Floyd is still a mystery although with this potential Castle and Young news, maybe not so much anymore. You're right that it does all come down to fit though. Some guys want to have that tough coach that pushes them harder than anyone else. Some guys cant handle that. Everyone knows which side Hurley falls on, it's not like he tries to keep it a secret lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom