Transfer Portal | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Curious if we went after Adam Kunkel who eventually ended up at Xavier. Or if DH had already bailed on the Portal by that point. Watching him play today it seems he would have been a good fit.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m not a fan of us bringing in anyone in the portal. But if we DID let it be a PG who can facilitate first and foremost and shoot. The biggest thing we were missing on offense was a guy who made other players better. We’ll have some capable scorers. Need someone who can make life easy for them.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Drexel's Camren Wynter is from Hempstead, New York and averaged 4.6 assists last season. Not good 3 point % but great FT % and seems like he can distribute the ball.

Reaction Score
When you bring in the right guys, the portal can be extremely beneficial:

So Larranaga can't recruit high school kids but does a good job with disenchanted college players.............can't help it, I never liked the guy.

Reaction Score

I think we need to be looking at shooters primarily. Other than a Hawkins (who needs to improve consistency) and the allure of an unproven Karaban, couldn't tell you I'd consider to be a threat from 3. Three names that jumped out to me, gun to my head probably only want Wright.
  • Jaiden Delaire (Stanford) is a CT kid (Granby/Loomis Chaffee). Had a down Senior year (10.1 ppg down from 12.5 ppl last year) but he's 6-9 and has gone from 17.6% to 28.6% to 32.6% to 32.3% shooting the 3. Def could maybe fill a Polley-type roll of the bench, but struggled vs the bulk of the Pac-12 (no double digit performances vs UCLA/Arizona and 1 vs USC) so he might be more of a candidate for the A-10/Mountain West.
  • Antwan Walker Jr (URI) obviously loosely connected to the Hurley. Based on Evan Miya's metrics there seems to be a at least a plus defender at 6-7, primarily at the PF spot. Never averaged more than 9ppg in 3 years at URI (and 1 year at Gtown) but shot 40% from 3 this year (18-45) so can maybe step in to be another type of Polley/3 and D guy off the bench.
  • Ethan Wright (Princeton) is a 6-4 guard from Newton, MA who averaged 14.7 ppg in a prolific Princeton offense, shooting 39.5 from 3 (70-177) on the year. By reference, RJ made the most 3s on the team, going 59-174 (.339). Obviously didn't play against the best competition in the Ivy, but if you're open you can hit 70 3s vs anyone. Did drop 18 vs VCU in their NIT loss last week.

Reaction Score
I’m not a fan of us bringing in anyone in the portal. But if we DID let it be a PG who can facilitate first and foremost and shoot. The biggest thing we were missing on offense was a guy who made other players better. We’ll have some capable scorers. Need someone who can make life easy for them.

Facilitator yes but one that can shoot a bit too. We don’t really have any proven “scorers” outside of Sanogo and he needs help or we will be easy to defend. I’d like to stay within the roster but let’s be honest if people don’t improve we will be wishing we hit the portal hard!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think we need to be looking at shooters primarily. Other than a Hawkins (who needs to improve consistency) and the allure of an unproven Karaban, couldn't tell you I'd consider to be a threat from 3.
Apparently Corey Floyd, Jr. can knock them down also. But also unproven as yet.

Reaction Score
Sacred Heart's Tyler Thomas just hit the portal.

6'3 195 from Amity, CT. 16.4p, 3.4r, 2.6a, 1.2s, 48.1 2p%, 33.7 3p%, about 40% shots from three.

I've watched him live a half dozen times. He's a three-level scorer with a lot of confidence and a very hard worker. However, since he's not the best long-distance shooter and he's a 2, I don't see a great fit here. However, in a less dominant role, I can see his efficiency improving...out of necessity, he puts up more shots than advisable, especially when the team is down.

I'm excited to see where he ends up, though! Wish him the best.

Reaction Score
Jailen Llewellyn please.

Thank you.
Any particular reason him over Wright? Wright shot better (albeit slightly) from the field, FT and 3 plus added nearly 7 rebounds per game. Wright also 6-4 to Llewellyn 6-2. I'd be happy with either considering their prowess from deep, just curious if you saw something different with Llewellyn, who is more of a combo guard than a true SG like Wright, but definitely not a true PG (only 2.5 APG).

Reaction Score
Any particular reason him over Wright? Wright shot better (albeit slightly) from the field, FT and 3 plus added nearly 7 rebounds per game. Wright also 6-4 to Llewellyn 6-2. I'd be happy with either considering their prowess from deep, just curious if you saw something different with Llewellyn, who is more of a combo guard than a true SG like Wright, but definitely not a true PG (only 2.5 APG).
Llewellyn would have more assists if he played in a more "typical" offense. Princeton's decentralized system had their center average 5.1 assists/game.

Llewellyn also creates his own offense and attacks the rim.

Reaction Score
Llewellyn would have more assists if he played in a more "typical" offense. Princeton's decentralized system had their center average 5.1 assists/game.

Llewellyn also creates his own offense and attacks the rim.
Good to know -- only watched 1 or 2 Princeton games so I'll defer to others. Like I said, either dude with that 40% from volume from deep sign me up.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Facilitator yes but one that can shoot a bit too. We don’t really have any proven “scorers” outside of Sanogo and he needs help or we will be easy to defend. I’d like to stay within the roster but let’s be honest if people don’t improve we will be wishing we hit the portal hard!
I agree with the proven part for sure. I’m on the hopeful side of guys stepping up to their talents when they don’t have anyone else to lean on. I agree with preferring to stay within the roster too.

With the portal route, I want whoever we get to play PG be able to manage getting Hawkins good shots, throw some lobs to AJ, feed Sanogo easy points, and if Akok is starting find him some easy looks from 3 and in the paint. We rarely saw any of that this past year. How many easy dump off baskets did we see?

I would LOVE a freshman year Gaffney tbh.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hey Adrien pretty much got it. Watched him a few times. Nice fit. Solid handle . Rim attacker . Defends well. Can shoot 3 . I guess he can be considered a combo but I think he is actually less of a combo than RJ even. I’m not as familiar with wright. Will check him out. I really value a paint attacker for our team .

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dauster mentioned in his season wrap up pod last night that the UConn staff is all over the portal dispelling the myth that Hurley will be too stubborn to use the portal.
I think the failure to snag anyone out of the portal last year is a contributing reason why kevin is no longer on staff. It doesn’t surprise me that early would be aggressive about it this year

Reaction Score
We need a FEARLESS lead guard... an extremely confident guard ( i.e. Khalid El Amin, Marcus Williams, Shabazz Napier ... Cole did that for us in terms of scoring ) ... we need a true facilitator that can score, get teammates the rock when open ... see the floor... a true floor general... Who's that guy gonna be?????

Reaction Score
We need a FEARLESS lead guard... an extremely confident guard ( i.e. Khalid El Amin, Marcus Williams, Shabazz Napier ... Cole did that for us in terms of scoring ) ... we need a true facilitator that can score, get teammates the rock when open ... see the floor... a true floor general... Who's that guy gonna be?????
I think/hope it will be CFJ but I don't think that will be him for at least 2 seasons...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom