Transfer Portal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You guys do know that Corey Floyd was rated in the low 100’s? Maybe he will be a stud but please tamper the expectations a little.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You guys do know that Corey Floyd was rated in the low 100’s? Maybe he will be a stud but please tamper the expectations a little.

This says he was 93
I have a gut feeling he will be good.

This guy was 132 and is currently one of the four finalists for Naismith this year

Reaction Score
This says he was 93

This guy was 132 and is currently one of the four finalists for Naismith this year

And as I recall he was ranked in the 70s/80s in 2022 before reclassing. Solid 4-star.

Reaction Score
We need a FEARLESS lead guard... an extremely confident guard ( i.e. Khalid El Amin, Marcus Williams, Shabazz Napier ... Cole did that for us in terms of scoring ) ... we need a true facilitator that can score, get teammates the rock when open ... see the floor... a true floor general... Who's that guy gonna be?????
Diggins in 2 years probably.

Reaction Score
This says he was 93

And this guy is 1 of the 4 also. Rated #164 in the 2020 class.

This guy also. Rated #334 in the 2020 class.

FWIW Sanogo was #85 in that same class. Jaden Ivey from Purdue is a projected lottery pick and he was #89 in that same class. Should I continue?

I think we all know not to take the rankings so literally. But I always temper my expectations for freshmen. Just don't know what you'll get.

Reaction Score
And this guy is 1 of the 4 also. Rated #164 in the 2020 class.

This guy also. Rated #334 in the 2020 class.

FWIW Sanogo was #85 in that same class. Jaden Ivey from Purdue is a projected lottery pick and he was #89 in that same class. Should I continue?

I think we all know not to take the rankings so literally. But I always temper my expectations for freshmen. Just don't know what you'll get.

Why in the world would we care about how players actually do in college when we have recruiting service rankings based on their high school careers to rely upon?

Reaction Score
Are we done recruiting for this class and only can go after transfers? Saw Florida lost Malik Reneau, a top 30 power forward...I know PG is the glaring hole, but I'd take all the talent possible.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I agree with the proven part for sure. I’m on the hopeful side of guys stepping up to their talents when they don’t have anyone else to lean on. I agree with preferring to stay within the roster too.

With the portal route, I want whoever we get to play PG be able to manage getting Hawkins good shots, throw some lobs to AJ, feed Sanogo easy points, and if Akok is starting find him some easy looks from 3 and in the paint. We rarely saw any of that this past year. How many easy dump off baskets did we see?

I would LOVE a freshman year Gaffney tbh.
I think Gaffney will be much better than he was freshman year if Hurley gives him a shot.

Reaction Score
He was a starter on the best AAU team in the country that had the #1 and #2 recruits in the country, he was also very good as a sophomore and junior starting in a highly competitive NJ high school league that produced Sanogo, Jonathon Kuminga, etc. I’m not suggesting he’s the next bouk but I definitely wouldn’t sleep on him.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Niagara's Marcus Hammond just joined the portal. Another guard of interest?

6'2 160 from Queens.

Last year's stats: 18.1p, 4r, 2.9a, 2.2 to, 48 2p%, 37 3p%, 4.5 ftas at 83.1%, about 45% of shots from deep.

Finished the season on the All-MAAC first team.

Yes. This seems like the guy.

Right now at least

Reaction Score
I think Gaffney will be much better than he was freshman year if Hurley gives him a shot.

HH c'mon you haven't seen enough? I mean you seriously have high expectations for this team next year if he's your starting PG? I would be devastated. I like the kid, seems like a great kid but he's going into his senior year and had a year in which he regressed, and that from not all that much to speak of prior. I mean I'm praying your right but by no means would it be good to assume he's going to finally "break out".

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
HH c'mon you haven't seen enough? I mean you seriously have high expectations for this team next year if he's your starting PG? I would be devastated. I like the kid, seems like a great kid but he's going into his senior year and had a year in which he regressed, and that from not all that much to speak of prior. I mean I'm praying your right but by no means would it be good to assume he's going to finally "break out".
As a freshman, we all wanted him to play more, because the offense ran better. As a sophomore, he was a rock solid outside shooter that could get to the rim, but was defensively challenged and committed too many turnovers. Last season he greatly improved his defense and his A to TO ratio, but his shot completely left him. I think that's an anomaly, and I think it was caused by not being considered a primary scoring option. By coaching in other words, that hurt his confidence. If he returns, I expect he will play the improved D, and improved assist to TO ratio, with his previously good shooting. In short, I think bringing in Cole was great for UConn and terrible for Gaffney.

If we get a transfer PG, fine. If not, I think people will be pleasantly surprised by Gaffney.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
Exactly. The kid doesn’t even look at or make a move towards the basket most of the time. It’s as if he’s traumatized and afraid of scoring. I have never seen anything like it at this level. And that’s not trashing a player. That’s facts.

MJ1

Reaction Score
Are we done recruiting for this class and only can go after transfers? Saw Florida lost Malik Reneau, a top 30 power forward...I know PG is the glaring hole, but I'd take all the talent possible.
He committed to Florida under coach White, expected to follow him to Georgia.

Reaction Score
As a freshman, we all wanted him to play more, because the offense ran better. As a sophomore, he was a rock solid outside shooter that could get to the rim, but was defensively challenged and committed too many turnovers. Last season he greatly improved his defense and his A to TO ratio, but his shot completely left him. I think that's an anomaly, and I think it was caused by not being considered a primary scoring option. By coaching in other words, that hurt his confidence. If he returns, I expect he will play the improved D, and improved assist to TO ratio, with his previously good shooting. In short, I think bringing in Cole was great for UConn and terrible for Gaffney.

If we get a transfer PG, fine. If not, I think people will be pleasantly surprised by Gaffney.

We "all" didn't want him to play as a freshman although I know many did. Early in the year AG and CV were dreadful except on D where they were both very good. Later CV got hot, made everyone around him better no doubt including Gaff. The only thing Gaff did better than AG was NOT turn it over as much, but there was still no getting to the basket and certainly we lost a ton on the other end as he couldn't guard a chair. Minus 3-4 games over 3 years you can hardly point to anything thinking this is our guy next year. Instead we are in big trouble if Cole leaves, Rashool doesn't step up and if we don't get an impact PG in the portal. It is that simple I'm afraid. I won't be pleasantly surprised at all it would be unbelievably surprised but not at all expecting it from what we saw especially this year.

Lleuwellyn please.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
We "all" didn't want him to play as a freshman although I know many did. Early in the year AG and CV were dreadful except on D where they were both very good. Later CV got hot, made everyone around him better no doubt including Gaff. The only thing Gaff did better than AG was NOT turn it over as much, but there was still no getting to the basket and certainly we lost a ton on the other end as he couldn't guard a chair. Minus 3-4 games over 3 years you can hardly point to anything thinking this is our guy next year. Instead we are in big trouble if Cole leaves, Rashool doesn't step up and if we don't get an impact PG in the portal. It is that simple I'm afraid. I won't be pleasantly surprised at all it would be unbelievably surprised but not at all expecting it from what we saw especially this year.

Lleuwellyn please.
People don’t understand how bad it’s gonna be if RJ doesn’t come back. We don’t need another forward, wing or post player anytime soon. Just guards.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This is my opinion too. It just seems to be a pretty unpopular one on the board. I think it’s underestimated how much confidence has to do with how guys play and how minutes are a part of that. Gaffney never being trusted in 3 years to have the lead guard role after a great freshman year couldn’t have been good for his confidence or morale. We just saw guys play a lot better when having their chance to lead this year, I feel like we’d see a consistent Gaffney if Hurley handed him the reigns.

Don’t expect him to win any all conference awards btw. But maybe a notch or two above a Craig Austrie type of guard for us. We have other talent on our team to where he doesn’t need to be the best player. Just get the ball to guys who can be.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Gaffney can make a huge leap for next year by just tightening up his (very) loose handle. He needs a basketball in his hands 24 hours a day 7 days a week until the first practice next season.

That one skill - if dramatically improved - would transform his whole game.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
i more of a purvis type?

Helluva post/handle!

I hope so! I loved Rodney, just needed to stay off the out of bounds stripe a bit more. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom