Transfer portal part 2 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal part 2

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
She has reopened her recruitment. That mean that she is no longer committed to Georgia. Her name isn't in the portal because she hasn't attended college yet. Only college students in the NCAA or NAIA are in the portal. I don't think JUCOs are in the portal either.
Ok...so she didn't sign or was released from it and decommitted.....gotcha.....

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Haven't see this mentioned anywhere but while I was watching the Girls High School National Tournament (not Geico) it was reported Syndey Bowles had decommitted from Georgia. It makes sense with the coaching change, and she is a very similar player to Coach Abe's daughter Savannah who days ago committed to the Bulldogs. Not that it matters too much but she and Janiah Barker are very good friends.

Reaction Score
From what people told me on the Terp boards, Russell wasn't recruited by Maryland.
Maybe not. She just sort of got caught in the middle with SC. She's a good offensive player, but couldn't get the defensive part. Since MD doesn't play defense the way SC does maybe she would be a good fit there. Plus, having used her free pass, she's almost a sure 3 year player that won't transfer. :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Haven't see this mentioned anywhere but while I was watching the Girls High School National Tournament (not Geico) it was reported Syndey Bowles had decommitted from Georgia. It makes sense with the coaching change, and she is a very similar player to Coach Abe's daughter Savannah who days ago committed to the Bulldogs. Not that it matters too much but she and Janiah Barker are very good friends.
I fully expect that Barker and or Bowles will eventually follow Joni Taylor to A&M. If they don't maybe Florida or possibly Georgia Tech will come into play. Bowles is an intriguing prospect with a good skill set but probably too thick to be a full time wing and too small to be an effective full time PF.

There is also a McDonalds AA Guard Ta'Niya Latson who also reopened her recruiting when Sue Semrau stepped down at Florida State. She is going to be a great pickup for someone.

Reaction Score
Maybe not. She just sort of got caught in the middle with SC. She's a good offensive player, but couldn't get the defensive part. Since MD doesn't play defense the way SC does maybe she would be a good fit there. Plus, having used her free pass, she's almost a sure 3 year player that won't transfer. :D
There are lots of Terps fans that want her in a Terps uniform. Anything possible.

Reaction Score
I fully expect that Barker and or Bowles will eventually follow Joni Taylor to A&M. If they don't maybe Florida or possibly Georgia Tech will come into play. Bowles is an intriguing prospect with a good skill set but probably too thick to be a full time wing and too small to be an effective full time PF.

There is also a McDonalds AA Guard Ta'Niya Latson who also reopened her recruiting when Sue Semrau stepped down at Florida State. She is going to be a great pickup for someone.
I believe Latson is still FSU bound

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Rumor has it that Abby Meyers visited MD this weekend.

Reaction Score
There are lots of Terps fans that want her in a Terps uniform. Anything possible.
She’s got a great upside and loved SC. Unfortunately she came in the middle of 2 #1 ranked recruiting classes full of talented guards and really wasn’t getting to play much. Gamecock fans will pull for her wherever she goes (except if she plays us).

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

I wonder about that because Joni kind of left them hanging. I would be pissed if my coach spent the better part of two years talking me into "playing for the state school" (Barker) and then left for another gig. Maybe they follow her....maybe they don't....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I didn't see this

Unless she is a graduate transfer she will have to sit a year as this is her second transfer Penn State (2 Years)- Texas (2 Years) -wherever.

Reaction Score
Unless she is a graduate transfer she will have to sit a year as this is her second transfer Penn State (2 Years)- Texas (2 Years) -wherever.
Didn't the change in the transfer rule go into effect in 2021? Based on the timeframe, I don't think her transfer from Penn State fell into that category.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Didn't the change in the transfer rule go into effect in 2021? Based on the timeframe, I don't think her transfer from Penn State fell into that category.
I'm actually not sure what the rule is or how it will be implement but there are a ton of players in the portal that will test the rule Mimi Collins, Zaya Green, Koi Love, Edwards from Kentucky.

Reaction Score
I'm actually not sure what the rule is or how it will be implement but there are a ton of players in the portal that will test the rule Mimi Collins, Zaya Green, Koi Love, Edwards from Kentucky.
I also keep forgetting the rule applies to an athlete's first time transferring. Like you've noted, all of these players have transferred once already, if not more. The only exception with respect to being eligible to play right away is Collins I think. I believe she's a grad transfer from what I've read.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I also keep forgetting the rule applies to an athlete's first time transferring. Like you've noted, all of these players have transferred once already, if not more. The only exception with respect to being eligible to play right away is Collins I think. I believe she's a grad transfer from what I've read.
I read that Collins had to sit one season after transferring from Tennessee to Maryland; so, in that case, she has not yet received any kind of immediate eligibility exception in the past. So, regardless if she is an undegrad or grad transfer this time around, she will be immediately eligible at her new school.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Lauren Ebo's waiver request prior to the 2020-21 season at Texas was denied; one of only a handful who were denied. But, when the blanket waiver took effect in mid-December 2020, she was able to play; obviously, she missed a lot of non-conference games before that ruling. That also happened with Alexis Morris and Zaay Greeen at Texas A&M. Morris then transferred to LSU and was eligible right away; believe she had to submit a waiver. I believe Ebo will be grad-transferring, so while she'll have to submit a waiver request for immediate eligibility, I'm confident it will be approved.

Reaction Score
I read that Collins had to sit one season after transferring from Tennessee to Maryland; so, in that case, she has not yet received any kind of immediate eligibility exception in the past. So, regardless if she is an undegrad or grad transfer this time around, she will be immediately eligible at her new school.
Hearing its NC State for Collins

Reaction Score
Lauren Ebo's waiver request prior to the 2020-21 season at Texas was denied; one of only a handful who were denied. But, when the blanket waiver took effect in mid-December 2020, she was able to play; obviously, she missed a lot of non-conference games before that ruling. That also happened with Alexis Morris and Zaay Greeen at Texas A&M. Morris then transferred to LSU and was eligible right away; believe she had to submit a waiver. I believe Ebo will be grad-transferring, so while she'll have to submit a waiver request for immediate eligibility, I'm confident it will be approved.
Any idea why Ebo is leaving? She seemed to be one of the consistent pieces with Texas last season.

Reaction Score
Any idea why Ebo is leaving? She seemed to be one of the consistent pieces with Texas last season.
Ebo planned to come to MSU when Vic was there but when he left she wound up at TX. Interesting that she is leaving.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Not a clue.

She did go through senior ceremonies along with Joanne Allen-Taylor and Audrey Warren; all 3 have one season of eligibility remaining. Joanne declared for the WNBA draft. No word from Audrey yet on her intentions. Not counting any of those 3 players, Texas has 3 scholarships remaining at the moment. So, it's not necessarily about the scholarship numbers and/or incoming freshmen signees coming in and the roster being overcrowded.

Ebo has been very complimentary of her time at Texas; in one post-game interview this Spring, she said coming to Texas was one of the best decisions she's ever made. Vic has also stated several times this Spring that she was the team's most improved player over the last 2-3 months of the season.

Her reasons for leaving could be strictly academic (perhaps wants to go to grad school somewhere that specializes in her area of study). Could be that she's played under 2 different post position coaches at Texas, and that would have been a third as Texas is currently trying to replace April Phillips (new head coach at San Jose State).

Texas will miss Ebo. She was so good defensively, especially against KSU's Ayoka Lee. Texas has no one else like or as experienced as Ebo in the post. So, that has to be a priority in the transfer portal.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom