Transfer portal part 2 | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal part 2

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I wanted to see Van Gytenbeek get more of a chance to run the team this season. Next year? Was Jump listed by some as a PG? Obviously not what she is at Stanford, although about as dangerous a 3 point shooter as there is in the Pac 12.
I don't believe Jump was ever thought of as a PG target for Stanford, though I'm not sure if she ran it much in HS. IIRC, she actually played more of a forward role in HS given her 6'0" size.

Reaction Score
The good thing with the Covid year, Eniya still has 3 years to show what she got. I will not be surprised, in the right situation, this one will flourish.
Yeah she's giving me Araion Bradshaw vibes. She could be good to great player but not amongst this roster. Sadly I do think she's was probably one our best 3 point shooters too.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Nearly all players around the nation have been granted a fifth season of eligibility under the NCAA’s COVID-related policy.

What’s different for Dodson is that her fifth season would’ve spanned six years overall, although other players have had careers that have spanned at least seven years, sometimes at multiple schools.

Further, when Dodson sat out in 2020-21, she even cited the pandemic as one of her reasons.
Pretty sure the rule as stated by the NCAA was the 2020-21 season did not count as an eligible year so you could play or not, it wouldn't count. Dodson chose not to play, but her three playing years prior to 2020-21 and this year all count as eligible years.

I think her only hope was to get them to negate her 2019-20 season when she came back from injury, played something like the last 9 games, and then the NCAA tournament was cancelled.
I hardly ever want to try to make sense of the NCAA’s decisions, but the difference may be that Meyers didn’t choose to sit out a year. Her school didn’t have a season.
Meyers also played 2 years before 2020-2021 and then played this year - she has only played three years, therefore she has one more year in grad school. She would have that year whether she played in 2020-21 or not.

Simple rule - when counting years of eligibilty, just ignore 2020-21 - it was magically erased by the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Yeah she's giving me Araion Bradshaw vibes. She could be good to great player but not amongst this roster. Sadly I do think she's was probably one our best 3 point shooters too.
You may be right but defense was very lacking with her, which she never saw the floor. I wish her well. She a talent for sure. Could be a spot at Maryland for her. She’s from Baltimore. Nice young lady. I wish her well.

Reaction Score
You may be right but defense was very lacking with her, which she never saw the floor. I wish her well. She a talent for sure. Could be a spot at Maryland for her. She’s from Baltimore. Nice young lady. I wish her well.
Terps have enough wing players. Wouldn't be a good fit in College Park.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Terps have enough wing players. Wouldn't be a good fit in College Park.
Brenda could put 5 wings on the floor at the same time. Now that’s positionless basketball…;)

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
The good thing with the Covid year, Eniya still has 3 years to show what she got. I will not be surprised, in the right situation, this one will flourish.
I agree. She played fast but a little out of control. That can happen when a player gets little playing time and wants to shine in their few minutes on the court. In a starting role she could be a beast IMO.

Reaction Score

I talked about this in the Vanderbilt thread a few minutes ago, but, the bottom line is, she just never got it going and was the fourth guard in the rotation by the end of the season. Showed promise at times. I think she'll get picked up and can play somewhere. I hope so.

Reaction Score
Brenda could put 5 wings on the floor at the same time. Now that’s positionless basketball…;)
Hey, it's kind of working for the Toronto Raptors this season! ;)

Reaction Score
I agree. She played fast but a little out of control. That can happen when a player gets little playing time and wants to shine in their few minutes on the court. In a starting role she could be a beast IMO.
She kinda got dealt an unfair hand. She was expected to push and make things happen with little playing time. In some ways like Zia but unlike Zia she didn't get to start as Freshman.

Reaction Score
She kinda got dealt an unfair hand. She was expected to push and make things happen with little playing time. In some ways like Zia but unlike Zia she didn't get to start as Freshman.
How did she get dealt an unfair hand? She’s been there 2 years and couldn’t break into the rotation. After 2 years the two freshmen guards played better defense. If we hadn’t gotten The 4 AA freshmen she may have been a contributor. Once those other girls got there her playing minutes we’re going to be limited. She’ll be a nice pick-up somewhere. She’s a good player but to say she got dealt an unfair hand is just not true.

Reaction Score
How did she get dealt an unfair hand? She’s been there 2 years and couldn’t break into the rotation. After 2 years the two freshmen guards played better defense. If we hadn’t gotten The 4 AA freshmen she may have been a contributor. Once those other girls got there her playing minutes we’re going to be limited. She’ll be a nice pick-up somewhere. She’s a good player but to say she got dealt an unfair hand is just not true.
Maybe unfair isn't the right word, perhaps a tough hand, even Dawn has said before she asks a lot of Eniya to push the ball and make things happen. I just think she never got the appropriate minutes to really find herself and do it well at this level. The only other players she demanded as much from in that way was Zia and Henderson. Henderson navigated it well and Cooke benefitted from lack of depth her freshman season to get those minutes.

I believe Russell had a smaller margin of error to find herself than anyone else. She didn't help herself either because she wasn't able to pick up the defense that well which is why the freshmen like Hall moved past in the depth chart. Oh well, I kind of saw this coming once Henderson went down and Eniya wasn't even remotely an option. I wish her well and this unfortunately the result of great recruiting.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not surprised, writing was on the wall that playing time would be tough over the next 2 years with Hall/Rivers ahead of her in the rotation. Should be a nice pickup for whoever lands her.
Raven Johnson was also way ahead of her in the rotation and will be returning. IMO Talaysia Cooper will be ahead of all of them when it is all said and done because of her ability to score the basketball.

Reaction Score
From what people told me on the Terp boards, Russell wasn't recruited by Maryland.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I asked this in another thread and got no answer. Is Barker in the portal or are people just saying she is because Joni Taylor left ? I have seen nothing to indicate she is not a UGA signee......

Reaction Score
I asked this in another thread and got no answer. Is Barker in the portal or are people just saying she is because Joni Taylor left ? I have seen nothing to indicate she is not a UGA signee......
She has reopened her recruitment. That mean that she is no longer committed to Georgia. Her name isn't in the portal because she hasn't attended college yet. Only college students in the NCAA or NAIA are in the portal. I don't think JUCOs are in the portal either.

Reaction Score
She wouldn’t be in the portal, it has been reported multiple places that she decommitree. As long as the school releases her she is free to go anywhere.

Reaction Score
Maybe unfair isn't the right word, perhaps a tough hand, even Dawn has said before she asks a lot of Eniya to push the ball and make things happen. I just think she never got the appropriate minutes to really find herself and do it well at this level. The only other players she demanded as much from in that way was Zia and Henderson. Henderson navigated it well and Cooke benefitted from lack of depth her freshman season to get those minutes.

I believe Russell had a smaller margin of error to find herself than anyone else. She didn't help herself either because she wasn't able to pick up the defense that well which is why the freshmen like Hall moved past in the depth chart. Oh well, I kind of saw this coming once Henderson went down and Eniya wasn't even remotely an option. I wish her well and this unfortunately the result of great recruiting.
You prove yourself in practice to get playing time. As long as you prove yourself there, Dawn will give you an opportunity to play, even if you make mistakes when you do. Its the pattern she's followed with all her players.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

This article clarified it for me when I read it a few days ago:

Class of 2022 signee Janiah Barker, rated the No. 3 overall prospect, was granted a release from her national letter of intent and decommitted Thursday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom