Tom Izzo Should be Done | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tom Izzo Should be Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He grabbed his player because his player was trying to blame it on the other player and was screaming in Izzo's face and stomping when Izzo was trying to coach him...

The overanalyzing and pearl clutching these days is out of control and anyone doing the "an old white guy can never do that with a young black guy thing" please stop. Go to a city high school game and you will see this a bunch...white, black, young, old. It's called coaching.

Exactly my point. Here is a post that starts on the right track, which is Izzo was trying to coach and even if he did it in an incorrect manner it was not the end of the world, and then feels the need to go off the track by purporting to tell black americans how they should feel when an older white man uses his authority to intimidate them.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I don't think he went far enough . I think Izzo should have fought him, straight up. Maybe even bought the kid a beer afterwards.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Honestly Cronin was the one that was making me uncomfortable all night. Dude is just angry.

One of my favorite UConn game moments ever was against Cincinnati at the XL Center. I think it was March 1, 2014. It is late in the first half, and the ball goes off UConn out of bounds, but the refs call it off Cincinnati. I was sitting in the second level and I could see that it was CLEARLY off us. The whole arena knew it should be Cincinnati's ball, but Cronin starts acting like such a jackass that there is no way the ref is going to change the call. The whole building is raining insults on Cronin because he is not getting an obvious blown call reversed since he is such a jerk.

I laughed so hard. I thought he got a T, but I checked the box score and there was no technical foul.

Reaction Score
Exactly my point. Here is a post that starts on the right track, which is Izzo was trying to coach and even if he did it in an incorrect manner it was not the end of the world, and then feels the need to go off the track by purporting to tell black americans how they should feel when an older white man uses his authority to intimidate them.
Here is a post that's a part of the problem. I brought it up because another poster brought it up and it was the first article I read on it when I got up, people have lost their damn minds. White and black coaches do it with black and white players because it's coaching, that's on you if you see race in that.

Reaction Score
He grabbed his player because his player was trying to blame it on the other player and was screaming in Izzo's face and stomping when Izzo was trying to coach him...

The overanalyzing and pearl clutching these days is out of control and anyone doing the "an old white guy can never do that with a young black guy thing" please stop. Go to a city high school game and you will see this a bunch...white, black, young, old. It's called coaching.
Cool. Throw him on the bench to start the second half. Pull him aside after he calms down. There are many ways to coach without physically grabbing and then running down your players. Both let their emotions get the best of them but only Izzo physically did anything. It was not appropriate. I'm sure he'll hear about it from the AD, and they'll all move on with life.

I'm sure you'd be okay if your boss did this to you when you screwed up at work, right?

Reaction Score
One of my favorite UConn game moments ever was against Cincinnati at the XL Center. I think it was March 1, 2014. It is late in the first half, and the ball goes off UConn out of bounds, but the refs call it off Cincinnati. I was sitting in the second level and I could see that it was CLEARLY off us. The whole arena knew it should be Cincinnati's ball, but Cronin starts acting like such a jackass that there is no way the ref is going to change the call. The whole building is raining insults on Cronin because he is not getting an obvious blown call reversed since he is such a jerk.

I laughed so hard. I thought he got a T, but I checked the box score and there was no technical foul.
Ya, he did that a lot:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Cut the race talk. You don't speak for black people. You don't know how black people feel about Tom Izzo. smh. The white knighting in this thread is elite.

Reaction Score
The halftime argument isn't much of a story.

It was a fun game. UCLA looked outgunned much of the game, but pulled it out. Good for them. Like a lot of you I've soured on Izzo over the years. Wasn't super happy with some of his post-game comments in 2014. Not dissapointed he lost early.....again.

Reaction Score
Cut the race talk. You don't speak for black people. You don't know how black people feel about Tom Izzo. smh. The white knighting in this thread is elite.
Maybe read the thread... BL did not bring race into this. His point is that the person who did took this inappropriate but minor circumstance and added an unnecessary layer of social commentary on top of it.

Reaction Score
Interesting take That I’m telling black Americans how to react
And for what it’s worth I previously apologized if I was taking the thread off topic
And you are correct a discussion of white privilege in Coaching at the college and professional level would not be for this forum Which is about Uconn basketball

Reaction Score
Cool. Throw him on the bench to start the second half. Pull him aside after he calms down. There are many ways to coach without physically grabbing and then running down your players. Both let their emotions get the best of them but only Izzo physically did anything. It was not appropriate. I'm sure he'll hear about it from the AD, and they'll all move on with life.

I'm sure you'd be okay if your boss did this to you when you screwed up at work, right?
I don't have a boss and don't have anyone get in my face and touch me. When I played sports absolutely, it happened and was expected. First coach I remember doing it with me was a black guy in my almost all white town for 7th and 8th grade basketball, awesome guy.

Reaction Score
Maybe read the thread... BL did not bring race into this. His point is that the person who did took this inappropriate but minor circumstance and added an unnecessary layer of social commentary on top of it.
I only brought up the race angle because formerlurker did (looks like he deleted the post) and the first article I read this morning was all about race.

Reaction Score
Here is a post that's a part of the problem. I brought it up because another poster brought it up and it was the first article I read on it when I got up, people have lost their damn minds. White and black coaches do it with black and white players because it's coaching, that's on you if you see race in that.
You’re only seeing it from your white perspective. You don’t see the micro and macro racial aggressions people of color endure on a daily basis because you’re not of color. Many people see this reasonably small issue as one more racist act, not because of the one-off situation, but because of the constant BS they have to go through on a daily basis.

It’s honestly not “on us” because we put a racial twist on everything, it’s “on you” to try to understand a world where people who look like you and me have been racially attacking people of color for hundreds of years and it’s gotten worse over the last 5 years.
Don’t worry, it’s not your fault, nor are you to blame bc you’re white. It is, though, up to you to at least try to understand the reason a racial flag is raised in many surprising situations.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Always amazing watching these all or nothing debates, as everyone rushes to put outside political perspective that fits their point of view around human interactions.

I'll make this simple for you. In 2021, should anyone not a parent lay hands on another human being for any reason? No, they shouldn't. On the other hand, at times of stress is it an awful moral failing for someone in the heat of the moment to touch someone in a manner that is absolutely not meant to cause actual physical harm? No, it's not that either.

For the protection of MSU, if nothing else, Izzo should be told not to do it again. Bosses and supervisors who aren't coaches have to learn all over the country that they need to find ways to get their points across to their charges without touching them. But the fate of western civilization doesn't depend on whether before a basketball coach (or a supermarket supervisor or a partner at a law firm) starts yelling at someone they are supervising, he or she puts a hand on his shoulder to get his attention, or even tugs at his shirt.

Well played counselor. Start off a post about posters going to extremes with their comments and then leading off you next paragraph with an absolutism which makes no sense.

Reaction Score
I’m trying hard to think of any other situation where Where a teacher/supervisor put his hands on an student/employee in anger Would not be subject to Severe consequences up to termination
The actions of the student/player Are irrelevant to the actions of coach Izzo
If he was that upset with the player yelling at him then he had many Options from not playing him to kicking off the team do not renewing a scholarship
I continue to be amazed at How our societal norms don’t seem to apply to college sports How long with the coach last in the NBA if he grabbed his players
As for those who say it was not a “good look”. Not sure what that means
To me what really doesn’t look good is an old white guy putting his hands on a young black man

and if I may digress When is there going to be some discussion of the lack of black head coaches ?How do you explain other than white privilege how the coach at LSU became their head coach at the age of 30
With no experience playing basketball even at the high school level

My apologies for not sticking to the thread

The above is insane. If you acted like a football or basketball coach in any other occupation they would throw you out. Football coaches act like the world is there for them to coach, and that is important. Reality check, it isn't.

polycom

Reaction Score
And he added his own spin on top that…

Reaction Score
Izzo is a slightly gentler version of Bobby Knight. As these old crows start to lose it they get worse not better. He'll tell you he loves his kids.. Stop, they are a money tree for him. MSU should deep six him now and save aggravation. It's hard for Izzo to let go of the gravy train he's on. That was a nice 2 step he did on the MSU scandal.

polycom

Reaction Score
The above is insane. If you acted like a football or basketball coach in any other occupation they would throw you out. Football coaches act like the world is there for them to coach, and that is important. Reality check, it isn't.

Clemson and Alabama would like a word with you.

Reaction Score
Super John.
Well said

Been a while since I’ve heard super John
Maybe in honor of super John Williamson

Reaction Score
And he added his own spin on top that…
He's literally saying that adding race into it was uncalled for. You don't have to be right. You can just say "my bad, I misread the post".

Reaction Score
I saw it live and thought, Izzo shouldn't have done that because of today's world, but he won't get fired or even disciplined over it.

Reaction Score
I only brought up the race angle because formerlurker did (looks like he deleted the post) and the first article I read this morning was all about race.
I wasn't referring to you. I was explaining that BL was referring to the formerlurker post. I don't think race has anything to do with this situation. I think it's just that Izzo is a d_bag. I have no doubt he'd have done the same to a white player. I think the worse look is a multimillionaire making his money off the back of this unpaid player acting like this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22