Tom Izzo Should be Done | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Tom Izzo Should be Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think you can send a better message with a vicious unspoken Sydney Poitier stare down and some splinters.
Izzo is part Italian.....the player is lucky the belt didn't come off.
Wooden Spoon in my family

Reaction Score
Its just my personal opinion. When your in the heat of battle your trying to do one thing win you do whatever it takes. It’s one thing to be critical of Izzo but fired?

Not advocating cheating or violence but nothing is off limits for me. Winning is more important to me then feelings being hurt. Again just my personal opinion.

Yeah, great. What I said was that you can still be a sports fan and think Izzo's shtick is a little embarrassing. There's room for difference of opinion.

Honestly, I think we've finally gotten to the point in this thread where the people defending Izzo sound way more absurd than the people saying he should be fired. I think maybe that happened right about the time someone mentioned the constitution and cancel culture.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
That was just 2 passionate people going at it. I’m sure they kissed and made up. You should hear some of the conversations that take place between me and my boss. If people can’t vent and say and act how they feel, emotions bottle up. I know this is a young man, but I’m sure they have a good enough relationship where they are fine now. I’ve always heard kids loved to play for Izzo.
Me and my boss get heated too, and have heated exchanges a lot. The company pays both of us, though. And if he grabbed me while we were heated, he would lose his job instantly.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with Izzo. He’s a great coach, gave the player real time feedback and mostly the player loss control. One issue coaches have to deal with today is often guys grow up without a father figure in their life and need but aren’t use to receiving some tough love. Don’t know if that’s the case here, but could be?

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I wish more threads that sparked such animated debates had a poll included. “Should Izzo be fired for this,” would have sufficed, considering the thread title.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
To be clear, I think only the OP has suggested he should be fired.
This. I've been pretty vocal here about thinking Izzo crossed a line. Think he should probably face a consequence, but don't think he should lose his job.

Reaction Score
I don’t have any huge issues with how Izzo interacted with Brown. I just hate Izzo’s on court antics. You can tell he’s a bully. You should have seen him chewing out the refs with like 30 seconds left in regulation. Any other coach would’ve been T’ed up. He clearly had lost control of his team. I just generally dislike the guy, he’s right up there with coach K and Calipari in terms of coaches who get away with whatever they want. I think college bball would be better off without him, but that’s just my personal opinion.

That's how I'm feeling here too. He's an idiot and a maniac, and he probably deserves to be fired for the multiple instances of these antics put together. Makes all of college basketball look bad.

Reaction Score
Me and my boss get heated too, and have heated exchanges a lot. The company pays both of us, though. And if he grabbed me while we were heated, he would lose his job instantly.
Let's stop comparing pencil pushers and bosses with coaches and athletes. Latrell Sprewell threatened to kill his coach and then attempted to do so by choking him, after leaving practice he came back and punched Carlesimo in the face for good measure. Less than two years later he was in the NBA finals with the Knicks and the sports world loved him. Sports are totally different, let's stop with the pretend.

Reaction Score
thats not what he did

no? What did he do then?

In fact it looked like when Izzo grabbed him by the arm he tried talking to him in a respectable manner and pointed in the direction of the other player who Brown had just blamed. Brown stormed off. Maybe Izzo was trying to tell him to stop fighting with his teammates?

Reaction Score
Izzo gets more benefits of the doubt of any coach in America (with the possible exception of Coach K). He helped cover up multiple sexual assaults by players and staff. Putting his hands on a player in the context of what had gone on at Michigan State over the years takes on added meaning.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
no? What did he do then?

In fact it looked like when Izzo grabbed him by the arm he tried talking to him in a respectable manner and pointed in the direction of the other player who Brown had just blamed. Brown stormed off. Maybe Izzo was trying to tell him to stop fighting with his teammates?
you said "He grabbed his jersey as he was walking away from him."

I said "thats not what he did"

you then follow up talking about him grabbing him by the arm. Looks like you figured it out.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Let's stop comparing pencil pushers and bosses with coaches and athletes. Latrell Sprewell threatened to kill his coach and then attempted to do so by choking him, after leaving practice he came back and punched Carlesimo in the face for good measure. Less than two years later he was in the NBA finals with the Knicks and the sports world loved him. Sports are totally different, let's stop with the pretend.
why would we extend any grace on the "don't lay your hands on anyone" rule to a specific industry? it's a life rule. don't lay your hands on people, especially the people you're in a position of authority over.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll just add that @BParkDog started this thread and, if I am correct, never made another comment. He got everyone riled up discussing right and wrong, Black and White, Millionaires and unpaid athletes, in addition to so much other crap. Is it too late for another bit of mojo @Deepster
Why would you think this hurts the mojo? Sparty losing in humiliating fashion while the coach and players meltdown is as good as it gets. Screw 'em.

Reaction Score
you said "He grabbed his jersey as he was walking away from him."

I said "thats not what he did"

you then follow up talking about him grabbing him by the arm. Looks like you figured it out.
So you’re upset by Izzo grabbing Brown by the arm after Brown blew an assignment, reamed out his teammate, and then stormed off after his coach tried talking to him?
You’re right, fire Izzo cause in this case what’s the point of even having a coach?

Reaction Score
Izzo should have ordered the code red through his assistant to the players on the team. Seriously, maybe it happens out of sight, but if a drill sergeant ever laid a violent hand or physically restrained a recruit AND it was captured on video, he would be punished or finished. Screaming at the recruit without touching, however, is acceptable. I think this would be an analogous comparison.

Reaction Score
why would we extend any grace on the "don't lay your hands on anyone" rule to a specific industry? it's a life rule. don't lay your hands on people, especially the people you're in a position of authority over.
Because it's sports, we also don't run up to people and tackle them or give them a forearm shiver. Sports are competitive, highly emotional, and organized violence. I think if we start treating it like everything else in society, we'll end up not having sports anymore.

Reaction Score
Hate Izzo, but he did nothing wrong. Kid needs to show some respect and suck it up. You don’t walk away from your coach. You dont scream back at your coach.

Reasonable minds may differ, but why is is just part of the game for a 70 year old to lose his composure - wasn't it two years ago that he headbutted Aaron Henry in the huddle - and it gets blamed on the "heat of the moment" but the 21 year old has to "show some respect and suck it up"?

Edit: and before anymore panties get twisted, I don't think Izzo should get in trouble for this. It's who he is and always has been and if you like it and think it's cool, good for you. I don't like him so that colors my take on this.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
The kid blew his assignment and reacted inappropriately with his coach. The coach then acted inappropriately by grabbing him. For now, this is between the player and his coach.

Ten years ago this would have been nothing. Today, its a little more than that.
Happy to see the progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22