Tom Izzo Should be Done | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tom Izzo Should be Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
You’re only seeing it from your white perspective. You don’t see the micro and macro racial aggressions people of color endure on a daily basis because you’re not of color. Many people see this reasonably small issue as one more racist act, not because of the one-off situation, but because of the constant BS they have to go through on a daily basis.

It’s honestly not “on us” because we put a racial twist on everything, it’s “on you” to try to understand a world where people who look like you and me have been racially attacking people of color for hundreds of years and it’s gotten worse over the last 5 years.
Don’t worry, it’s not your fault, nor are you to blame bc you’re white. It is, though, up to you to at least try to understand the reason a racial flag is raised in many surprising situations.
I am of color and this post is a reach. This situation isn’t racial at all. If you choose to add race on it that’s up to you and speaks to a person lived experience.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
He's literally saying that adding race into it was uncalled for. You don't have to be right. You can just say "my bad, I misread the post".
Exactly my point. Here is a post that starts on the right track, which is Izzo was trying to coach and even if he did it in an incorrect manner it was not the end of the world, and then feels the need to go off the track by purporting to tell black americans how they should feel when an older white man uses his authority to intimidate them.

So this is not an opinion or what?

Reaction Score
I’m trying hard to think of any other situation where Where a teacher/supervisor put his hands on an student/employee in anger Would not be subject to Severe consequences up to termination
The actions of the student/player Are irrelevant to the actions of coach Izzo
If he was that upset with the player yelling at him then he had many Options from not playing him to kicking off the team do not renewing a scholarship
I continue to be amazed at How our societal norms don’t seem to apply to college sports How long with the coach last in the NBA if he grabbed his players
As for those who say it was not a “good look”. Not sure what that means
To me what really doesn’t look good is an old white guy putting his hands on a young black man

and if I may digress When is there going to be some discussion of the lack of black head coaches ?How do you explain other than white privilege how the coach at LSU became their head coach at the age of 30
With no experience playing basketball even at the high school level

My apologies for not sticking to the thread

Not much of a college basketball fan huh? Add to the cream puff thoughts please get off the old white guy stuff here, Izzo and Calhoun deserve respect from their players. Leonard Hamilton deserves respect from his players, Nolan Richardson deserved respect from his players. If they grab a shirt or an arm because they get verbally disrespected or even facially they can do that anytime. If you want to get your a** kissed don't go to these schools. Passion is what fuels these great coaches and this incident should never be questioned. I have a better idea than yours, if the kid didn't like it leave. Izzo doesn't have to kick him out or off the team, he can leave. Let a tougher minded individual come in and take his place. One that respects authority.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's it? The killed yelled at his coach and the coach pulled his shirt? This is a non story. Let the team figure it out.

I was thinking he shoved the kid or something. He just grabbed his shirt? Why is this even news?

Seemed to me he grabbed the shirt because the player was walking away, ignoring him. Nothing to see here except some disrespectful behavior by the player if anything.

Reaction Score
I wasn't referring to you. I was explaining that BL was referring to the formerlurker post. I don't think race has anything to do with this situation. I think it's just that Izzo is a . I have no doubt he'd have done the same to a white player. I think the worse look is a multimillionaire making his money off the back of this unpaid player acting like this.
My bad, thought it was directed at me.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
That's it? The killed yelled at his coach and the coach pulled his shirt? This is a non story. Let the team figure it out.

I was thinking he shoved the kid or something. He just grabbed his shirt? Why is this even news?
why is this entire thread saying all he did was pull his shirt? no, that's not all he did.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
That view looks even worse...for Brown. Hitting his coach who is trying to talk to him.
completely ignoring izzo whipping him around by his arm. That is unacceptable.

Reaction Score
Not much of a college basketball fan huh? Add to the cream puff thoughts please get off the old white guy stuff here, Izzo and Calhoun deserve respect from their players. Leonard Hamilton deserves respect from his players, Nolan Richardson deserved respect from his players. If they grab a shirt or an arm because they get verbally disrespected or even facially they can do that anytime. If you want to get your a** kissed don't go to these schools. Passion is what fuels these great coaches and this incident should never be questioned. I have a better idea than yours, if the kid didn't like it leave. Izzo doesn't have to kick him out or off the team, he can leave. Let a tougher minded individual come in and take his place. One that respects authority.
Time for me to check out of this thread

Reaction Score
Here is a post that's a part of the problem. I brought it up because another poster brought it up and it was the first article I read on it when I got up, people have lost their damn minds. White and black coaches do it with black and white players because it's coaching, that's on you if you see race in that.

As wrong as could be. It's on you if you haven't learned to be sensitive to how black Americans see interactions with white Americans due to 350 years of history.

Last edited:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This thread is hilarious. People here act like coaches are just some random guy who punches a clock to teach the team basketball for 90 minutes a day and shows up for 2 hours on game day. I can't speak directly for the program at MSU, but at many college programs like ours, coaches are a parental figure for many of these kids. When Akok wen down last year, Hurley took him into his home for the first few nights. These coaches aren't just trying to teach their players to become better on the court, but also to become better men off the court.

We have no background on what this relationship has been like that led to this. Has Brown been disrespectful to Izzo in the past? Has Izzo been "bullying" or picking on Brown recently? We don't know. So save your judgement.

Should Izzo have grabbed his guy? Probably not. Not something I would have done. But it's not like he smacked him around. Izzo is trying to teach this young man to be a better person. To just let him show up his coach on national TV and to let him get away with mouthing off to his coach is not the answer. Could have handled it differently, but it was the heat of the moment and BOTH guys were hot.

I'm sure the posters who want a cupcake society feel different, but that reflects more on the moral superiority complex we have in our country today than what actually transpired on the court.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
This thread is hilarious. People here act like coaches are just some random guy who punches a clock to teach the team basketball for 90 minutes a day and shows up for 2 hours on game day. I can't speak directly for the program at MSU, but at many college programs like ours, coaches are a parental figure for many of these kids. When Akok wen down last year, Hurley took him into his home for the first few nights. These coaches aren't just trying to teach their players to become better on the court, but also to become better men off the court.

We have no background on what this relationship has been like that led to this. Has Brown been disrespectful to Izzo in the past? Has Izzo been "bullying" or picking on Brown recently? We don't know. So save your judgement.

Should Izzo have grabbed his guy? Probably not. Not something I would have done. But it's not like he smacked him around. Izzo is trying to teach this young man to be a better person. To just let him show up his coach on national TV and to let him get away with mouthing off to his coach is not the answer. Could have handled it differently, but it was the heat of the moment and BOTH guys were hot.

I'm sure the posters who want a cupcake society feel different, but that reflects more on the moral superiority complex we have in our country today than what actually transpired on the court.
both guys were hot. one is a seasoned veteran who gets paid millions and millions of dollars a year to coach these children, the other is an unpaid amateur athlete. brown could have disrespected izzo all day, you still don't but your hands on someone on your team. there is no excuse, no matter the backstory.

Reaction Score
Welp, I'm not surprised that we're at a point where some people think this is an ugly confrontation and that a coach should be fired over something like this.

Reaction Score
I would have a much bigger issue losing and blowing an 11 pt leader the half then this altercation. The fans who think Izzo should be fired over this aren’t really sports fans.

Reaction Score
both guys were hot. one is a seasoned veteran who gets paid millions and millions of dollars a year to coach these children, the other is an unpaid amateur athlete. brown could have disrespected izzo all day, you still don't but your hands on someone on your team. there is no excuse, no matter the backstory.
It happens I doubt the player has an issue with this. We’re all human no one is perfect tensions happen.

Reaction Score
Really ugly video of Izzo going after one of his players. Gets in his grill. Player walks away. Grabs the kid by his arm. Kid pulls away. Grabs him by his shirt to try to restrain him. Kid attempts to swat his hand away.

No place in 2021 for a coach who thinks he can lay his hands on a kid in anger. It's completely unacceptable.

Put him out to pasture. RIP Tom Izzo. RIP, Michigan State.

LINK TO VIDEO
You've got to be kidding. There was nothing objectionable whatsoever in that video. If you are that sensitive, I really feel bad for you. Wow.

Reaction Score
Indignation can be a very convenient emotion to use. "I'm so offended that I really can't have a conversation on this.........so and so just needs to be fired!" Civil and intelligent discourse is much harder to manage, but it ultimately might accomplish something or at least a broader perspective of the issue at hand.

I've never found that when my emotions get the better part of me or when I shut down meaningful discussion that anything constructive takes place.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I can either listen to krinklecut's take on the situation or what was reported from the locker room & reactions of former Izzo players like Green who say to move on. hmmmmmm....

Hey, at least your take gets your a participation trophy in the morality olympics! Congrats!

Reaction Score
this is a pretty dumb comment. I don’t give two ____ about Izzo but there’s not only one acceptable take for a sports fan.

Its just my personal opinion. When your in the heat of battle your trying to do one thing win you do whatever it takes. It’s one thing to be critical of Izzo but fired?

Not advocating cheating or violence but nothing is off limits for me. Winning is more important to me then feelings being hurt. Again just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Lots of troubling thoughts on this thread. But for me the prejudice against Italians for being hot headed is most disturbing. We’re better than this guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom