Tom Izzo Should be Done | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tom Izzo Should be Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You know what, respect the coach you signed up to play for. He showed none, got exactly what he deserved. His dad, unless he's like Vance Jacksons, would gladly tell his son to stop and listen to Coach Izzo or I will bitch slap you myself. Nothing here to even discuss.

Reaction Score
Izzo was right to be upset over the defensive lapse because the player scored 2 pts just before the half ended. Perhaps, if the UCLA player did not make the shot, there would not have been an overtime.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Honestly Cronin was the one that was making me uncomfortable all night. Dude is just angry.

Reaction Score
A lot of pretty stupid takes on both sides here. Does he deserve to be fired for this? No. Is it justifiable that a grown man making millions off the backs of these unpaid players physically grabbed a player multiple times because he blew a defensive assignment? No. It was a bad look for Izzo, regardless of all these old man “back in my day” takes.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Trying to decide how I feel about this, I tried to imagine Coach Hurley in the same situation. Couldn't. He would have waited until they were in the locker room to get on the kid, and it would have ended with a fist bump.

Then I tried to imagine JC in the same situation. He too, I believe, would have waited until they were in the locker room. Or at least deep into the tunnel. And the kid might have been in sweats for the 2nd half, if he came out of the locker room at all.

Reaction Score
This isn’t ideal given Michigan State’s recent image issues, but I don’t think it’s a big deal at all.

However, as a long-time driver of the “Izzo is overrated” bandwagon, I’m ready to revive that conversation (as irrational as it may be). Obviously he’s a very good coach and the final fours are impressive, but he has the same number of titles as Boeheim and Ollie.

Reaction Score
Sorry but this is a bit misleading. At least post a full video before telling anyone to do anything. In the video below you can see what lead up to that. You can make the case that a player should never talk to a coach like that.

That's it? The killed yelled at his coach and the coach pulled his shirt? This is a non story. Let the team figure it out.

I was thinking he shoved the kid or something. He just grabbed his shirt? Why is this even news?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Says the keyboard commando.
Mad War GIF

Reaction Score
Players and coaches being emotional is part of a relationship sure we all say things or react out of emotions then guess what you move on. No one is perfect if we perfect we wouldn’t human.

Reaction Score
I’m trying hard to think of any other situation where Where a teacher/supervisor put his hands on an student/employee in anger Would not be subject to Severe consequences up to termination
The actions of the student/player Are irrelevant to the actions of coach Izzo
If he was that upset with the player yelling at him then he had many Options from not playing him to kicking off the team do not renewing a scholarship
I continue to be amazed at How our societal norms don’t seem to apply to college sports How long with the coach last in the NBA if he grabbed his players
As for those who say it was not a “good look”. Not sure what that means
To me what really doesn’t look good is an old white guy putting his hands on a young black man

and if I may digress When is there going to be some discussion of the lack of black head coaches ?How do you explain other than white privilege how the coach at LSU became their head coach at the age of 30
With no experience playing basketball even at the high school level

My apologies for not sticking to the thread

Reaction Score
Uhhh, heated exchanges between players and coaches trying to... coach happens all the time regardless of sport. Hurley and certainly Calhoun are not exactly easy on their players.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So it was ok that brown at first ignored and yelled at his head coach? I know these are strange times but damn
Before Izzo and Brown started their exchange, one of Brown's teammates had already gotten in Brown's face to call him out on the missed assignment. Brown wanted nothing to do with his teammates either.
I didn't have any problem with Izzo's initial grab and barking when Brown took off.
Didn't like Izzo running him down after Brown took off, but I also have no idea (And I don't think anyone else here does either) what Brown said to Izzo when Brown started barking at him.

Reaction Score
A lot of pretty stupid takes on both sides here. Does he deserve to be fired for this? No. Is it justifiable that a grown man making millions off the backs of these unpaid players physically grabbed a player multiple times because he blew a defensive assignment? No. It was a bad look for Izzo, regardless of all these old man “back in my day” takes.
He grabbed his player because his player was trying to blame it on the other player and was screaming in Izzo's face and stomping when Izzo was trying to coach him...

The overanalyzing and pearl clutching these days is out of control and anyone doing the "an old white guy can never do that with a young black guy thing" please stop. Go to a city high school game and you will see this a bunch...white, black, young, old. It's called coaching.

Reaction Score
Always amazing watching these all or nothing debates, as everyone rushes to put outside political perspective that fits their point of view around human interactions.

I'll make this simple for you. In 2021, should anyone not a parent lay hands on another human being for any reason? No, they shouldn't. On the other hand, at times of stress is it an awful moral failing for someone in the heat of the moment to touch someone in a manner that is absolutely not meant to cause actual physical harm? No, it's not that either.

For the protection of MSU, if nothing else, Izzo should be told not to do it again. Bosses and supervisors who aren't coaches have to learn all over the country that they need to find ways to get their points across to their charges without touching them. But the fate of western civilization doesn't depend on whether before a basketball coach (or a supermarket supervisor or a partner at a law firm) starts yelling at someone they are supervising, he or she puts a hand on his shoulder to get his attention, or even tugs at his shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom