To anyone criticizing Hurley: | Page 4 | The Boneyard

To anyone criticizing Hurley:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You said this mid September.

"I really don’t understand how anyone thinks this team won’t make the tournament this season. To say the talent isn’t there is absurd. The talent is there and now we have a staff who’s going to get the most out of it."
In his defense that was before Jalen went MIA lol

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don’t know what else to say to get my point across. What made you think this team would be good? Do you think we have the roster to be competitive in our conference right now? Get all the frustrations and complaints with Hurley out now because they won’t last more than another season.

I’ll never say he wasn’t the right hire, he was the best candidate at the time - but I pointed out some red flags during the process and got shouted down.

I get that you don’t think anything matters for three years... but I’d also not at one time you thought it made sense to put Ollie in your handle - so you aren’t exactly batting 1.000.

Reaction Score

"I really don’t understand how anyone thinks this team won’t make the tournament this season. To say the talent isn’t there is absurd. The talent is there and now we have a staff who’s going to get the most out of it."

Funny you bring this up. Just told my buddy today how dumb I felt for saying I thought we’d make the tournament this year. Now it is clearer than ever to me that we don’t have enough talent at the moment

Curiouser
Reaction Score
we're better than we were last year.
I think I watched a different game than others today. I’m blaming the flu. I just saw the post-game comments from Hurley and the team on the news and they are all downright giddy about their effort and performance today. I feel like I’m in the twilight zone.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I get it and understand the value in having your players’ backs, but I just don’t see how you can say Jalen showed up today with a straight face. KO was savaged for being too easy on his players, especially Jalen. He’d be killed for a quote like that after today’s performance.
Cant reasonably compare Ollie and Hurley, Ollie recruited Jalen so he should understand him much better than Hurley does. With that said a fair assessment of Hurley is that he hasn’t figured out how to motivate this team... can you blame him for that sure he is the coach. But at the same time he has a track record of improving programs but his performance in the here and now has been average to poor.

Reaction Score
Brad Stevens is not Hurley. This can’t be a real post. Brad Stevens is an elite coach so is every other coach people are comparing to Hurley. Hurley has show he can build programs he has not shown he should be in the same conversation as elite coaches, this narrative needs to die.

So...what you're saying is...Hurley is NOT Brad Stevens?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think I watched a different game than others today. I’m blaming the flu. I just saw the post-game comments from Hurley and the team on the news and they are all downright giddy about their effort and performance today. I feel like I’m in the twilight zone.

Hey anytime you can’t even threaten to beat UCF at home - that’s a win.

polycom

Reaction Score
Here is a fun fact.

On this date in 2018 UConn was 125 in the Pomeroys. Today they are 108.

With Gilbert and Wilson.

Wilson is horrible... 1 player has made us somewhat better..I’ll believe that.

Reaction Score
I’ll never say he wasn’t the right hire, he was the best candidate at the time - but I pointed out some red flags during the process and got shouted down.

I get that you don’t think anything matters for three years... but I’d also not at one time you thought it made sense to put Ollie in your handle - so you aren’t exactly batting 1.000.

I made the handle as a high school senior after coming back from the 2014 Final Four. I thought Ollie was the king of the world. But listen, I’m not looking for an argument. We just have opposing views on this. I get your frustrations. It hasn’t been fun to be a UConn fan the past few years. I think we now have the guy to make it fun again, even if this season didn’t go as expected

polycom

Reaction Score
Now Wilson is horrible. Didn’t take long to feed him to the sharks.

Wilson was horrible for the first game he stepped on the court this season...

Reaction Score
I don't get it. Hurley can't coach these guys up because they are not his players? Sounds lame. I expected the team to be more competitive this season...so far they are not.
Maybe thats on you. Anyone who knows anything about basketball could realize this team lacked talent. They beat Syracuse at MSG and played better in every game this year than last. Do you not think an Ollie coached team would not have lost to USF or UCF? Newsflash.............they would have been less competitive. Hurley has made adjustments. He tried to play fast. He tried to slow it down. Two ways to mask a lack of talent. Neither worked. Thats how bad this team is. There isn't even complimentary parts for a good coach to work with.

Reaction Score

I actually credit you for finding this, considering it perfectly contradicts what I’m saying now. But yeah I realize that was dumb

Reaction Score
A healthy Alterique Gilbert and a better coach?
But at the end of the day you still have the same team that wasn't good the year before. Gilbert is good but not enough to make a huge difference.

Most new head coaches don't have a great first season. Look at Hurley's first seasons at Wagner and URI. Not very good. I know it's hard for UConn fans to stomach but this is going to take time.

Reaction Score
Today wasn't pretty at all. But that makes sense considering Jalen has forgotten how to play basketball. I don't think Hurley is a great X's & O's guy, but I never had that expectation. He is supposed to be a good talent evaluator, recruiter, and player developer. Let's see how his teams look after he can use his best tools.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But at the end of the day you still have the same team that wasn't good the year before. Gilbert is good but not enough to make a huge difference.

Most new head coaches don't have a great first season. Look at Hurley's first seasons at Wagner and URI. Not very good. I know it's hard for UConn fans to stomach but this is going to take time.
I’m not expecting great. I was expecting better than this though. And I’m even more disturbed that the post game comments from Hurley and the team show them all happy with today’s performance. I guess we’re supposed to just pretend that it’s true?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I made the handle as a high school senior after coming back from the 2014 Final Four. I thought Ollie was the king of the world. But listen, I’m not looking for an argument. We just have opposing views on this. I get your frustrations. It hasn’t been fun to be a UConn fan the past few years. I think we now have the guy to make it fun again, even if this season didn’t go as expected

The season isn’t actually going all that differently than I expected.

@CTMike can confirm I texted him at halftime of the SCSU game to say the BY is in for a long year because the team stinks.

It’s the fact they stink but the coach who got 20 mill for 6 years seemingly doesn’t own any of the results that is absurd.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I don't think Hurley is a great X's & O's guy, but I never had that expectation. He is supposed to be a good talent evaluator, recruiter, and player developer. Let's see how his teams look after he can use his best tools.
Call me crazy, but I want a great X's & O's guy. I'll be patient, but let's see some of that going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom