To anyone criticizing Hurley: | Page 7 | The Boneyard

To anyone criticizing Hurley:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As a leading Ollie skeptic, I will acknowledge that Hurley should be doing better with the roster he inherited.

Granted, Hurley has to do more than start from scratch, he has to clear out a steaming pile of garbage and disinfect the kitchen before he can even get started.

But what he has should be good enough to beat USF and compete with UCF.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Again, people are saying you shouldn't judge a coach until a full cycle of his recruits. You seem to be doing that this week. Do you not think Hurley is not trying to make adjustments? Becuase I do. He has done more in 2 months than Ollie has done in two years(on the court and off). You don't start a rebuild with wins and losses. A rebuild begins with culture. Hurley has made a ton of adjustments. You just choose to ignore them because they lost to USF. Thats on you, not Hurley.
I could live with a loss to USF if our guards weren't consistently being beaten off the dribble, going right only, by a transfer from Gardner-Webb, with no adjustments made.

Reaction Score
Other than Kathy liking posts you are 100% wrong.

If you are making a comment on me lambasting the administration for their lame attempts to fire Ollie for cause - you’ll be disappointed when you find I was way ahead of y’all in calling for Ollie to go. Just like Diaco. Just like Pasqaloni. Bad coaches are easy to identify.

The people that rant and rave loudest about Ollie are the ones who supported him the longest and the hardest because he burned them.

I wasn’t responding to you in the first place, so . . .

I’m not going to name names, but they’re easy to find.

Reaction Score
Again, people are saying you shouldn't judge a coach until a full cycle of his recruits. You seem to be doing that this week. Do you not think Hurley is not trying to make adjustments? Becuase I do. He has done more in 2 months than Ollie has done in two years(on the court and off). You don't start a rebuild with wins and losses. A rebuild begins with culture. Hurley has made a ton of adjustments. You just choose to ignore them because they lost to USF. Thats on you, not Hurley.

Serious question. What adjustments did he make? They have been BLITZED in the 2nd half the last 3 games.

I don't like this culture focus. Yes it needs to improve. But the last coach who hyper focused on that was Diaco. You rebuild with winning winnable games. And as much as I loathe what Ollie did to this program and am disappointed with this current roster, the last 2 games were winnable. To pretend otherwise is just bizarre. People thought this team was heading in the right direction before that nova 2nd half. Now they can't possibly be expected to beat USF.

Reaction Score
Serious question. What adjustments did he make? They have been BLITZED in the 2nd half the last 3 games.

I don't like this culture focus. Yes it needs to improve. But the last coach who hyper focused on that was Diaco. You rebuild with winning winnable games. And as much as I loathe what Ollie did to this program and am disappointed with this current roster, the last 2 games were winnable.
I do think it was a mistake to slow the tempo down. We don't shoot well enough to force ourselves into a half court offense, and the recent results speak for themselves. I get why he did it, but I think trading points for turnovers is something we probably should have lived with.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Will Dan Hurley's teams improve as he gets his preferred personnel? Likely so. But he is not infallible for the woes of this season. Has he made any great in game moves this year like a substitution/lineup change or strategy adjustment that has yielded noticeable dividends? We cannot run any semblance of a quality offense against a quality defense and are not generating quality shots. One could argue the players are just screwing up his scheme, but it definitely a part of his job to get them do so.

You aren't wrong. I haven't seen or at least don't remember an adjustment that was noteworthy. On the other hand his team, isn't getting blown out. I do think it is fair to point out that these guys aren't really and indication of his ability to evaluate talent, with the except of B. Adams.

There are reasons to be concerned, but there are far reasons to be hopeful. Let's see how it all plays out.

Reaction Score
You replied to me... so I guess it’s odd you weren’t responding to me.

My original post that you responded to, dope. But keep making it about you. You’re good at that.

Reaction Score
Its not that he can’t coach them up. It’s that they’re flawed mentally and physically. Most of these guys aren’t his type of player. And if he was in charge 2 years ago they wouldn’t be here. They’ve been practicing bad habits for 2-3 yrs now. Hurley can’t break them in 5months. I promise you Hurley isn’t content or pleased with what he’s seeing. My expectations coming in were higher because I expected Jalen to be special. He hasn’t. So when you don’t even have a really good player on your team and you couple that with the worst front court in Div 1 ball, it’s hard to make lemonade out of that
First I laughed...LOUDLY..."flawed physically and mentally"....ahhhh….hahaha. Then the worst frontcourt in D1......OMG I can't do this.

Reaction Score
You know, I don't think we know how you feel about the current players. Be more clear.

I mean the culture, attitude, and habits instilled in the returning players. Hurley would be better off this year having freshman Jalen Adams than senior Jalen Adams.

Reaction Score
And those who take any suggestion that Hurley is not Jesus as an outrage are those who had Ollie out the door from day one.

I’m just waiting for us to be able to discuss our current players and current coaching without hearing how any deficiencies in any of them are Ollie’s fault. I believe Hurley was the right hire and that things will get better; I just expected the actual coaching to be visibly better and so far I’m not seeing it. Our offense has not improved, nor has our mettle or consistency.
Considering how so many (including me)said the team underachieved under KO...why wouldn't we.....verbalized my feelings in a nutshell.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Hurley flipped Wagner in year two. It took three years at Rhody. It will probably take three years here. I watched a bunch of college hoops today after the UConn game. We'd lose by 20 to Kansas or Iowa St. Virginia made FSU look like a D2 team. My point is UConn is so far from the elite teams that a multi year rebuild is the only way back. Gotta ride ride with Hurley through at least two more recruiting classes. If that bums you out Chief suggests casual mode.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My original post that you responded to, dope. But keep making it about you. You’re good at that.

You should probably go back and look at what you actually replied to and posted.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Its not that he can’t coach them up. It’s that they’re flawed mentally and physically. Most of these guys aren’t his type of player. And if he was in charge 2 years ago they wouldn’t be here. They’ve been practicing bad habits for 2-3 yrs now. Hurley can’t break them in 5months. I promise you Hurley isn’t content or pleased with what he’s seeing. My expectations coming in were higher because I expected Jalen to be special. He hasn’t. So when you don’t even have a really good player on your team and you couple that with the worst front court in Div 1 ball, it’s hard to make lemonade out of that

@Excalibur speaking of hardcore ollie backers....

Reaction Score
Nobody is really wrong here. (Except Stairmaster because he's been wrong about everything UConn ever)Yes Hurley inherited a program that was criminally neglected by Ollie and also yes the team has been underwhelming with questionable coaching at times. I do think the team has had higher peaks so far and is a tad better despite the awful stretch we're currently in but completely absolving Hurley and staff isn't fair especially coming from the board that defended Ollie for "winning with someone elses players." His track record and the good recruiting class coming in should instill confidence in the future but it sure would be nice to see a little more out of the current bunch.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Nobody is really wrong here. (Except Stairmaster because he's been wrong about everything UConn ever)Yes Hurley inherited a program that was criminally neglected by Ollie and also yes the team has been underwhelming with questionable coaching at times. I do think the team has had higher peaks so far and is a tad better despite the awful stretch we're currently in but completely absolving Hurley and staff isn't fair especially coming from the board that defended Ollie for "winning with someone elses players." His track record and the good recruiting class coming in should instill confidence in the future but it sure would be nice to see a little more out of the current bunch.

You charging me rent for all that space I'm occupying in your head?

Reaction Score
USF is not good. Stop. They have a decent record because they beat teams that are beyond terrible.
Quote me someone who said this. Easy to strawman when you don't quote.
You are kidding right? Do you have everyone but me in this thread on ignore?

I say again. No one has said that USF is good. I quoted the full exchange to make sure you are clear about the point I was making.

And as much as I loathe what Ollie did to this program and am disappointed with this current roster, the last 2 games were winnable. To pretend otherwise is just bizarre. People thought this team was heading in the right direction before that nova 2nd half. Now they can't possibly be expected to beat USF.

Again, no one has said they can't possibly be expected to beat USF.

The only posts in any sort of manner positive about USF in this whole thread said that USF was substantially better than last year, so it should not necessarily be looked at as a major regression to lose to them on the road when we won last year by 3 at home under Ollie. The result reversal does not preclude that we have improved as a team.

It certainly doesn't indicate any improvement has transpired, but it doesn't preclude it either due to USF's own improvement and roster overhaul.

Reaction Score
You should probably go back and look at what you actually replied to and posted.

Yeah, let's do that . . .
Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 7.54.20 PM.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That win was against a BJ Taylor-less roster. You know, because rosters matter.

And they didn’t have Dawkins last year either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom