To anyone criticizing Hurley: | Page 8 | The Boneyard

To anyone criticizing Hurley:

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I say again. No one has said that USF is good. I quoted the full exchange to make sure you are clear about the point I was making.

Again, no one has said they can't possibly be expected to beat USF.

The only posts in any sort of manner positive about USF in this whole thread said that USF was substantially better than last year, so it should not necessarily be looked at as a major regression to lose to them on the road when we won last year by 3 at home under Ollie. The result reversal does not preclude that we have improved as a team.

It certainly doesn't indicate any improvement has transpired, but it doesn't preclude it either due to USF's own improvement and roster overhaul.

You are joking right? The same lunatics who were posting about 5 and 6 seeds are now warning about expectations in the wake of a loss to USF... while constantly saying USF has improved (wow from 200 to 150! keep on trucking!)... isn’t an implication that expecting to beat USF is out of line.

You seriously can’t make it up. There are 15 posts about USF’s improvement. When every half decent team in the league kicks their teeth in I guess they were just lucky to survive such a good opponent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, let's do that . . . View attachment 37976

btw thanks for the low hanging fruit
The key with Ollie (and what made this season's finish all the more frustrating) is the talent factor. Sniping over just how good our recruiting actually is aside, last year's class would've been good for #2 in the B1G and B12, and #3 in the ACC. You're someone who's very keen on us competing with the blue bloods, the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world - despite what our frequent arguments may suggest, I'd really like that as well. The only way to do that is to stockpile as much talent as we can given the limitations we're dealing with (i.e. conference and having a 5th year HC recruiting against HOFers like K, Cal, Pitino, etc.). Even if you disagree with me in that you don't think KO's player development and strategic capabilities will improve over time, there's something to be said such that the more talented players you have, the easier it is to mitigate certain weaknesses on the staff.

In my mind, Ollie is pretty clearly the only guy who can recruit as well as he does at an AAC level. And I am quite frightened of what happens when we don't have a 15-year NBA veteran whose unique personal background makes him especially adept at building relationships with prospects and their parents. I've seen a couple of people mention King Rice, the Monmouth guy -- how many Top 100 kids would he be able to pull here? How many McD AAs? The guy can't even make it out of the MAAC tourney. When you say "coaching free market," that's where my mind wonders, and it scares the heck out of me.
Im the biggest Ollie defender. But honestly i cant fault anyone for taking some shots after what a nightmare the beginning of this wk was. They deserve some shots lol. Hell i wanted to takr some. Before chillious UConn's world felt like it was crashing haha

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I’m just debating posters who are lamenting posters being critical of someone making TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS while being demolished by directional Florida schools.

Especially when those posters were talking the players and roster up 3 months ago.
He's being paid 20 million dollars in the first year of his contract? Wow.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How much of the college fund got lost on minor league hockey this past week?

These jokes made no sense when you used them in the past.

Do yourself a favor and stop. You were as wrong as one could be about Ollie - so maybe this time listen and see if you can’t learn something.

Reaction Score
Serious question. What adjustments did he make? They have been BLITZED in the 2nd half the last 3 games.

I don't like this culture focus. Yes it needs to improve. But the last coach who hyper focused on that was Diaco. You rebuild with winning winnable games. And as much as I loathe what Ollie did to this program and am disappointed with this current roster, the last 2 games were winnable. To pretend otherwise is just bizarre. People thought this team was heading in the right direction before that nova 2nd half. Now they can't possibly be expected to beat USF.
He tried to adjust pace. First, by speeding things up. Now, by slowing things down after made shots. For a while, this team was something like top 30 in team scoring. We topped 80 pts in many of games when last year we went to overtime at home vs Monmouth and Columbia. Off the court, he is holding kids accountable, slowly changing what was a toxic culture. His efforts on the recruiting trail are quite noticeable. Most recently, with Akok. That doesn't happen with last years staff. This roster is so thin in almost every position there isn't much he can do. They don't execute.
Sure, the last two results were disappointing. But people on here don't have realistic expectations. This team was never a tournament team. This team has 3, maybe 4 players that should even be on the roster. A roster he inherited. It takes time. There is a big difference between inheriting a team because the last coach moved on to a better gig than inheriting a team from a fired coach for poor performance.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
It is Hurley's job to get the most out of the talent he has. So far he hasn't been able to do it despite improvements in some areas. There is no getting around that.
I don't know. Maybe this is the most anyone could get out of this roster. Nobody wants to hear that, but it's realistic.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
These jokes made no sense when they used them in the past.

Do yourself a favor and stop. You were as wrong as one could be about Ollie - so maybe this time listen and see if you can’t learn something.

Most ludomaniacs can't tell that they have a problem. Although a gambling addiction is probably the least of yours.

I have nothing to learn from you, except this: if I ever exhibit signs of anger issues, I am going to get checked out immediately so I don't devolve into you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't know. Maybe this is the most anyone could get out of this roster. Nobody wants to hear that, but it's realistic.

Maybe but if it’s only this much marginally better than what Ollie got of out them.... that’s a pretty scary thought.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Maybe but if it’s only this much marginally better than what Ollie got of out them.... that’s a pretty scary thought.
I know, right?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Most ludomaniacs can't tell that they have a problem. Although a gambling addiction is probably the least of yours.

I have nothing to learn from you, except this: if I ever exhibit signs of anger issues, I am going to get checked out immediately so I don't devolve into you.

You seem pretty mad that I pointed out you have no idea what you are talking about.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You seem pretty mad that I pointed out you have no idea what you are talking about.

I don't take pointers from people who are so far beneath my level of mental competenecy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't take pointers from people who are so far beneath my level of mental competenecy.

Weird that your elite levels of mental competenecy don’t allow you to get anything right in your posts.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This entire thread is funny to me.

Do we have Kansas-level or UNC-level talent on the roster this year? No.

But the fact that some of you honestly believe that we shouldn't expect a better coaching job with this roster is laughable.

Feel free to call me an Ollie sympathizer or expecting a Calhoun type performance unfairly. But this roster has kids who are certainly more highly regarded than their recent opponents, with enough dedication to drop 30 pounds in the offseason or play 38 minutes a game in previous years. Sorry, but Hurley needs to own this...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm always right. Catch up.

Yeah, plenty of top candidates are going to be knocking down our door. Look at the great names other AAC schools have brought in: Johnny Dawkins, Mike Dunleavy Sr., Kelvin Sampson, Frank Haith. Definitely the kind of guys who are going to bring things back to Calhoun levels.
I am fine with Ollie going, regardless of what this board's dirty liars want you to think.

What differentiates me is that I'm not living in la la land when it comes to knowing how unattractive this job looks from the outside. You are all in for a massive disappointment.
If one needs to rebuild a program from the ground up, Randy Edsall was the best hire one could have made.

It's clear you don't follow the team so nothing you say on the topic is worth crap.

You're a horribly reactive child who should seriously take a break from sharing your inane "thoughts" with the rest of us.
I may have in the past. My stance evolved over time. I don't think people who wanted Ollie gone dating back to 2015 get special points for being "ahead of the curve." Many of us have different thresholds for what we view as over-the-line unacceptable. I needed a larger body of evidence than most to get to the point of thinking a change needs to be made.

Here I thought elite minds were ahead of the curve.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This entire thread is funny to me.

Do we have Kansas-level or UNC-level talent on the roster this year? No.

But the fact that some of you honestly believe that we shouldn't expect a better coaching job with this roster is laughable.

Feel free to call me an Ollie sympathizer or expecting a Calhoun type performance unfairly. But this roster has kids who are certainly more highly regarded than their recent opponents, with enough dedication to drop 30 pounds in the offseason or play 38 minutes a game in previous years. Sorry, but Hurley needs to own this...

In fairness to Hurley - I think he does, based on his statements the past few days he seems baffled on how to fix it.

It’s the lunacy from fellow fans that is crazytalk.

Reaction Score
These jokes made no sense when you used them in the past.

He cannot see the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44