To anyone criticizing Hurley: | Page 9 | The Boneyard

To anyone criticizing Hurley:

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
CL made a funny. Lock the thread at it’s peak!
DFE8B250-03B7-45CD-B455-F33F43D50F8F.gif

Reaction Score
Again, the username is a joke, but in actual defense of Ollie, he did not have the luxury of playing Gilbert or Wilson last year. He was stuck with David Onuorah and Antwoine Anderson. And while he dug his own grave with DO, he did not intend on playing AA that much and i don't think anyone blames him for giving Sid a scholarship versus finding someone definitively eligible.

Hurley is working with an objectively more talented and experienced roster than last year. To produce similar results (which I do not think he will) in the AAC would be a failure on his part, not just the players.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He cannot see the truth.

What truth, that Alterique Gilbert would get injured in preseason practice or the first game of the year? That he's "done?"

You don't know the meaning of "truth." Get that word out of your mouth.

Reaction Score
You are joking right? The same lunatics who were posting about 5 and 6 seeds are now warning about expectations in the wake of a loss to USF... while constantly saying USF has improved (wow from 200 to 150! keep on trucking!)... isn’t an implication that expecting to beat USF is out of line.

You seriously can’t make it up. There are 15 posts about USF’s improvement. When every half decent team in the league kicks their teeth in I guess they were just lucky to survive such a good opponent.

I'm not sure how this post is supposed to show me explicitly that someone said that "USF is good" in this thread. I must be joking for not being able to see that post, right?

Just waiting for the quote. You posted years of Stain's post history, but all I get is this incoherent rambling

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how this post is supposed to show me explicitly that someone said that "USF is good" in this thread. I must be joking for not being able to see that post, right?

Just waiting for the quote. You posted years of Stain's post history, but all I get is this incoherent rambling

Note the word imply in my post. If you’d like to continue to deny that knock yourself out.

Reaction Score
Note the word imply in my post. If you’d like to continue to deny that knock yourself out.

If USF could move the goalposts like that, they might actually be good. I'm not seeing imply in these previous posts where you claimed it should be obvious to me where the posts claiming USF is good were.

USF is not good. Stop. They have a decent record because they beat teams that are beyond terrible.
Quote me someone who said this.
You are kidding right? Do you have everyone but me in this thread on ignore?
I say again. No one has said that USF is good. I quoted the full exchange to make sure you are clear about the point I was making.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If USF could move the goalposts like that, they might actually be good. I'm not seeing imply in these previous posts where you claimed it should be obvious to me where the posts claiming USF is good were.

You are correct nobody said USF is good.

What they said was that they have improved and we shouldnt expect to beat them.

That either implies USF is good or that UConn’s expectations should be so low that they shouldn’t be spending $72 million dollars a year on sports.

Reaction Score
Bates Diop played 9 games in the 17 win season due to two injuries and was conference player of the year upon healthy season season return.

Jalen just went 1-9 from 2pt range in a home game against a non-P5 football school.

Too many here sound like Hurley's agent. No one expected him to win the NC or even the league title but he's paid to win and to figure out how to win with what he has. When you don't have what you want you make adjustments to make the most of what you do have.

Hurley's carryover players from last year's team are more experienced (and supposedly stronger due to his strength program) and he added a healthy McDonald's All-American guard and former 4 star small forward, two grad transfers and one freshman recruit. This roster is superior to last year's unless you believe Gilbert, Wilson, Yakwe, Smith and B.Adams are worse than Larrier, Anderson and Onuorah.

If Adams, twice pre-season player of the year and a member of this year's pre-season first team, the number 23 recruit out of high school, is playing worse this year that's on Hurley. If Adams could average 38 minutes per game last year and is "out of gas" and struggling physically this year the staff needs to get his health evaluated. If he has mono or some other problem it needs to be diagnosed and treated. If it's not physical Hurley needs to figure out how to motivate him and/or correct the problem. That's his job and it's not too much to ask.

Reaction Score
Polley hasn't showed me much outside of some 3s against Cuse. he'd be a deep bench player on a decent team
To what? What do people want Hurley to do. His “best” player forgot how to play basketball and he has zero big men. What options does Hurley have?
The general trend on this board is that those most willing to fault Hurley were least willing to bail on Ollie.

Or people expected Hurley to do better than Ollie'since he has a better roster.
Lets be clear. How do you adjust to a team without a D1 caliber front court? Ah, yes, you play small and maybe go with 5 guards. Problem for Hurley is he only has 3. This roster lacks so much talent that there is little Hurley can do. He is a great coach, not a magician. He can make adjustments but when the kids don't have the ability to execute it looks like, well, we are seeing what it looks like. Hurley isn't to blame, he is our savior. Without him rebuilding our brand and with football where it is, UConn athletics has little chance of survival. Not only is he the right man for this job, he is the only man for this job. If you need further evidence of rebuilds, look at Pitt and Georgia.

Guards:
1. J.Adams
2. B.Adams
3. C. Vital
4. A. Gilbert
5. T. Smith

Reaction Score
Half the board thinks while Hurley makes millions, he’s responsible for showing improvement, with the former coaches guys. They are right.

Others believe he inherited a mess, Beat Cuse, have stayed within 10 pts of most good teams, and is making strides. He even has Sid & AG which Ollie didn’t. They are right.

When’s our first American win?

Tulane may be the first and it might be the last if the last several games are the new normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom