To anyone criticizing Hurley: | Page 5 | The Boneyard

To anyone criticizing Hurley:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Speaking on the scheme part. Hurley is playing his style. He's not playing zone. He would rather establish defensive principles, and culture for the guys who will be here next year.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Half the board thinks while Hurley makes millions, he’s responsible for showing improvement, with the former coaches guys. They are right.

Others believe he inherited a mess, Beat Cuse, have stayed within 10 pts of most good teams, and is making strides. He even has Sid & AG which Ollie didn’t. They are right.

When’s our first American win?

Reaction Score
The season isn’t actually going all that differently than I expected.

@CTMike can confirm I texted him at halftime of the SCSU game to say the BY is in for a long year because the team stinks.

It’s the fact they stink but the coach who got 20 mill for 6 years seemingly doesn’t own any of the results that is absurd.
Are you saying that Hurley hasn't accepted any responsibility? Or are you just mad at the posters on this board? lol

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ok thanks, so we're better

LOL at Ollie hardo Stain liking this.

This is like Blimpie employees being proud it’s better than Subway.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
And I’m even more disturbed that the post game comments from Hurley and the team show them all happy with today’s performance. I guess we’re supposed to just pretend that it’s true?

Coachspeak is coachspeak. If his game prep begins to reflect the notion that they don't need to work on anything, then of course that'd be concerning. Substitution patterns/lack of halftime adjustments/etc. are far bigger deals (to me at least) than postgame comments.

Reaction Score

@CTMike can confirm I texted him at halftime of the SCSU game to say the BY is in for a long year because the team stinks.

It’s the fact they stink but the coach who got 20 mill for 6 years seemingly doesn’t own any of the results that is absurd.

So if the team really stunk last year, and stinks this year, what should the coach own?

Should he own the slight improvement?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you saying that Hurley hasn't accepted any responsibility? Or are you just mad at the posters on this board? lol

I’m just debating posters who are lamenting posters being critical of someone making TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS while being demolished by directional Florida schools.

Especially when those posters were talking the players and roster up 3 months ago.

Reaction Score

I personally think he is getting out of these guys what he can. I mean, come on our starting front court is Polley and Carlton. That’s more like an A10 front court but they’re the best Hurley’s got and he has the work with it. There are areas where Hurley’s coaching can and needs to improve but I have no doubt this program will be back very soon.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I personally think he is getting out of these guys what he can. I mean, come on our starting front court is Polley and Carlton. That’s more like an A10 front court but they’re the best Hurley’s got and he has the work with it. There are areas where Hurley’s coaching can and needs to improve but I have no doubt this program will be back very soon.

Hope you are more right about Hurley than you were about the roster a few short months ago.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

He's just angry in general and looking to pick fights. Same as it ever was. I wonder how much he lost on LIU-Bryant earlier today.

Reaction Score
I was one of the loudest voices wanting Ollie gone and wanting Hurley, I even wanted Hurley before we ever hired Ollie but no I don't think he's doing a good job with this group, it's all about results. I think he's trying like hell to reach Jalen because even though he's not nearly as good as we thought he is, he's still our best chance and should be good enough to beat the South Florida's.

If you were expecting Hurley to come in and have our offense looking really good you were mistaken (games against cupcakes and 14 made threes against Cuse were an illusion.) I've said he's not a great x's and o's guy (neither was Calhoun IMO) but he's a program builder (not saying he's Calhoun.)

Ollie tore down what we had and Hurley was brought in to build it back up. It's probably going to take a bit more time than I thought, it's why recruiting is paramount and he needs to show the door to a couple of kids.

Reaction Score
I’m just debating posters who are lamenting posters being critical of someone making TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS while being demolished by directional Florida schools.
lol oh ok. it's just a contrarian rant then. I'll let you be

Reaction Score
Speaking on the scheme part. Hurley is playing his style. He's not playing zone. He would rather establish defensive principles, and culture for the guys who will be here next year.

And once he gets guys who fit his style, we’ll start seeing a competent basketball team again. I’ll be the first to admit I expected this season to go better but I have lost no hope in what Hurley can do

Reaction Score
To me this isn't complicated. For us to have success this year, we needed Jalen to step up and have a big year. He isn't. Tough to win games with him struggling.

We don't have any post play. We aren't a good shooting team. That makes us easy to defend.

Reaction Score
Hope you are more right about Hurley than you were about the roster a few short months ago.

I can’t be any more wrong about Hurley than I was about the roster a few short months ago.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Coachspeak is coachspeak. If his game prep begins to reflect the notion that they don't need to work on anything, then of course that'd be concerning. Substitution patterns/lack of halftime adjustments/etc. are far bigger deals (to me at least) than postgame comments.
Have you watched any of their comments? I was shocked by the consensus that this was a good game, a good performance and the start of our turnaround. It was like bizarro world. I am officially expecting zero this season from here out because I don’t think anyone is even attempting to deal with reality. They are all burying their heads and hoping the season passes quickly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
lol oh ok. it's just a contrarian rant then. I'll let you be

Wrong. The facts are he hasn’t done sqadoosh with this team.

I wouldn’t have bothered to point that out - but the entire premise that he can’t be criticized is ridiculous.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Have you watched any of their comments? I was shocked by the consensus that this was a good game, a good performance and the start of our turnaround. It was like bizarro world. I am officially expecting zero this season from here out because I don’t think anyone is even attempting to deal with reality. They are all burying their heads and hoping the season passes quickly.

Again, I want to see if the player performance/in-game coaching is noticeably different next game before I dub consider Hurley and co. to be in denial.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
I know the BY is all about arm chair coaching... but there is way too much arm chair coaching going on here. You can't get blood from a stone. Our current players are limited in many respects, period. Their limitations have been discussed repeatedly (size, strength, moxie, shooting, etc.). Ollie was not a terrible coach, Christ, he won pretty well his first 3 years. Ollie was a sub-par recruiter. The change in personnel from when he took over recruiting compared to the Calhoun days was profound. The quality of players went down considerably over the past several years. Any coach knows you can only go so far against superior talent. No matter what Xs and 0s you draw up, it will not overcome size, strength talent... particularly when the opposing coach is no slouch. People need to stop with the "yeah, Hurley... get a better rotation, change to a zone, etc. If Hurley is going to have an impact, it will be over time. He appears to be off to a good start with recruiting... a couple even moderately talented big men and we will be way better than now. Our front line is barely division 1 caliber. We had our hopes up that things would get better quickly (the Syracuse win, and 90 point games). But this is reality and it's not on Hurley. JC or the wizard of Westwood are not getting these guys to beat far superior teams. Only option is to be patient and hopefully enjoy a few good wins. (IMHO).

Reaction Score
Just pointing out that last year's rolling disaster was 1-0 against USF and split 1-1 with UCF (beat them at home on 1/9). Again, these are not good teams we're talking about.
USF is significantly better than last year. But I agree they are not good teams.

Reaction Score
Just pointing out that last year's rolling disaster was 1-0 against USF and split 1-1 with UCF (beat them at home on 1/9). Again, these are not good teams we're talking about.

Have to nip this in the bud before it becomes a meme around these parts:

Context matters a bit. Both teams have essentially all new best players.

BJ Taylor and Aubrey Dawkins didn't play for UCF when we beat them and Yetna and Rideau didn't for USF.

The USF game was also at home and we won by 3.

Reaction Score
I actually credit you for finding this, considering it perfectly contradicts what I’m saying now. But yeah I realize that was dumb

Wasn't too hard to find. I was browsing preseason prediction threads. Hint - people didn't expect a team that may struggle to reach the NIT. Most people who say they are not disappointed are either lying or radically and immediately adjusted their expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom