To anyone criticizing Hurley: | Page 3 | The Boneyard

To anyone criticizing Hurley:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m fully confident in Hurley’s ability to turn this program around, but I think it’s fair to be concerned about this team consistently getting smoked to start the second half. That’s becoming a pattern that quality coaching should address.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
You and whaler are thinking right along my lines too. I know one thing, 14-18 is not acceptable again no matters whose recruits are playing. Awful 2nd halves 3 games in a row have me a little concerned I admit.
This is me too. Look, I realize that this is not the most talented UConn team ever, to understate matters. However, you have to scheme for the players you have. So far I haven't seen it. And the play has been sloppy, and often listless.

Reaction Score
What you’re watching is Hurley trying to coach players who aren’t good enough to be UConn caliber. I know the past few years have been frustrating but you can’t tell me you expected Hurley to turn this program around in year 1. Let him bring in his guys and infuse his culture into the program. That won’t happen overnight
We all knew this heading into the season. Ppl go delusional once we beat Cuse. Hurley’s track record has bout him my confidence.

Reaction Score
Brad Stevens would win with this group ... X’s and O’s... I don’t wanna hear those not his players , but he brought in yakwe, T Smith , Adams , his coaching staff like we make too many excuses ... but again I’ll hold my judgment to what he do with next year team I just hope we’re not running the same offense

Reaction Score
Brad Stevens would win with this group ... X’s and O’s... I don’t wanna hear those not his players , but he brought in yakwe, T Smith , Adams , his coaching staff like we make too many excuses ... but again I’ll hold my judgment to what he do with next year team I just hope we’re not running the same offense
It’s really hard to run a top notch offensive system with the worst front court in Div 1 College Basketball

Reaction Score
We wouldn't look as bad from a personnel standpoint if Jalen didn't just entirely hit the wall as an athlete.

“He’s going through some struggles with his confidence,” Hurley continued. “But if Jalen Adams approaches every day the way he approached his last two, he’ll come out of this and he’ll start playing much better basketball. Can he take over games at the level that Aubrey Dawkins does, or B.J. Taylor? Obviously, he’s gonna have to prove that. But I loved how he showed up today.”

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The general trend on this board is that those most willing to fault Hurley were least willing to bail on Ollie.
And those who take any suggestion that Hurley is not Jesus as an outrage are those who had Ollie out the door from day one.

I’m just waiting for us to be able to discuss our current players and current coaching without hearing how any deficiencies in any of them are Ollie’s fault. I believe Hurley was the right hire and that things will get better; I just expected the actual coaching to be visibly better and so far I’m not seeing it. Our offense has not improved, nor has our mettle or consistency.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What you’re watching is Hurley trying to coach players who aren’t good enough to be UConn caliber. I know the past few years have been frustrating but you can’t tell me you expected Hurley to turn this program around in year 1. Let him bring in his guys and infuse his culture into the program. That won’t happen overnight

No of course I didn’t expect him to fix things in year one. I also didn’t expect the team to be this awful and be told he doesn’t own any of that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
“He’s going through some struggles with his confidence,” Hurley continued. “But if Jalen Adams approaches every day the way he approached his last two, he’ll come out of this and he’ll start playing much better basketball. Can he take over games at the level that Aubrey Dawkins does, or B.J. Taylor? Obviously, he’s gonna have to prove that. But I loved how he showed up today.”
That’s from today? Wow.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Brad Stevens is not Hurley. This can’t be a real post. Brad Stevens is an elite coach so is every other coach people are comparing to Hurley. Hurley has show he can build programs he has not shown he should be in the same conversation as elite coaches, this narrative needs to die.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Brad Stevens is not Hurley. This can’t be a real post. Brad Stevens is an elite coach so is every other coach people are comparing to Hurley. Hurley has show he can build programs he has not shown he should be in the same conversation as elite coaches, this narrative needs to die.

Those Calhoun comparisons from Day 1 were nothing but trouble.

Reaction Score
And those who take any suggestion that Hurley is not Jesus as an outrage are those who had Ollie out the door from day one.

I’m just waiting for us to be able to discuss our current players and current coaching without hearing how any deficiencies in any of them are Ollie’s fault. I believe Hurley was the right hire and that things will get better; I just expected the actual coaching to be visibly better and so far I’m not seeing it. Our offense has not improved, nor has our mettle or consistency.
To fix that stuff takes time. Effective coaching is shown over time. We haven’t even given this man a full season. The players are struggling to break bad habits right now. I fully expect them to be a different team come February. This is a process. And right now we’re just in the ugly part. Danny has some growing to do as do the players. But I’m 100%confident he’ll figure it out and have us back to being UConn. We just need to remain patient

Reaction Score
I’m fully confident in Hurley’s ability to turn this program around, but I think it’s fair to be concerned about this team consistently getting smoked to start the second half. That’s becoming a pattern that quality coaching should address.

To anyone who questions the team's effort because they got blown out in 3 consecutive second halves: There were multiple dudes diving on the floor with a minute left despite being down double figures. We're getting blown out in 2nd halves because we're a worse team than other teams, so as more possessions happen, we're more likely to show that.

We've actually started getting blown out in 1st halves against the Florida schools. It's not an opponent halftime adjustment thing.

As for Hurley, you can't bleed adjustments from a stone and there are stones in some of our players' heads. Can you be concerned he's not a wizard? Sure, I guess if you expected a wizard. Hurley is more Arthur, less Merlin. He's working with a square table of knights with different values currently.

Reaction Score
It is fair to criticize Hurley on certain things for example the inexcusable USF loss.

Today there were some things that Hurley did that I liked...having Jalen completely off the ball definitely helped reduce turnovers as jalen’s handle has gone from below average to horrible.

Losses to bad in-conference teams just cannot happen. Today was an acceptable loss, though disappointing as any loss is.

Reaction Score
No of course I didn’t expect him to fix things in year one. I also didn’t expect the team to be this awful and be told he doesn’t own any of that.

I don’t know what else to say to get my point across. What made you think this team would be good? Do you think we have the roster to be competitive in our conference right now? Get all the frustrations and complaints with Hurley out now because they won’t last more than another season.

Reaction Score
He clearly has no clue how to reach Jalen but Jalen doesn't have a clue how to reach Jalen.

Hurley had a similar quote after Jalen's last atrocious 5 point performance and he did everything yesterday but flat out say Jalen sucks and needs to be better or he'll sit.

Don't think there are any buttons that can be pushed with Jalen at this point. He reminds me of the kid who was shaving in 7th grade and was bigger, faster, and better than everyone until he reached senior year and everyone passed him by.

Reaction Score
I don't get it. Hurley can't coach these guys up because they are not his players? Sounds lame. I expected the team to be more competitive this season...so far they are not.
well that's your fault then. We finished under .500 two seasons in a row and haven't had a real recruiting class in three years

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He's clearly playing the long game. It's had good results for him at both of his previous stops, and I don't think he feels inclined to stray too far from that.

The problem is, I don't know how many people have the stomach for that.
I get it and understand the value in having your players’ backs, but I just don’t see how you can say Jalen showed up today with a straight face. KO was savaged for being too easy on his players, especially Jalen. He’d be killed for a quote like that after today’s performance.

Reaction Score
I don't get it. Hurley can't coach these guys up because they are not his players? Sounds lame. I expected the team to be more competitive this season...so far they are not.
Its not that he can’t coach them up. It’s that they’re flawed mentally and physically. Most of these guys aren’t his type of player. And if he was in charge 2 years ago they wouldn’t be here. They’ve been practicing bad habits for 2-3 yrs now. Hurley can’t break them in 5months. I promise you Hurley isn’t content or pleased with what he’s seeing. My expectations coming in were higher because I expected Jalen to be special. He hasn’t. So when you don’t even have a really good player on your team and you couple that with the worst front court in Div 1 ball, it’s hard to make lemonade out of that

Reaction Score
The team stunk last year!!!! What made you think this year would be so much better????

Reaction Score
I don’t know what else to say to get my point across. What made you think this team would be good? Do you think we have the roster to be competitive in our conference right now? Get all the frustrations and complaints with Hurley out now because they won’t last more than another season.

You said this mid September.

"I really don’t understand how anyone thinks this team won’t make the tournament this season. To say the talent isn’t there is absurd. The talent is there and now we have a staff who’s going to get the most out of it."

Reaction Score
A healthy Alterique Gilbert and a better coach?
And that will get us a better record, if bet money we don’t finish under .500 again. It’s still not enough tho. The greatest coach can’t win with bums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom