Tim Boyle Continues to Impress | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tim Boyle Continues to Impress

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Van Demark has the size. His frame is huge and he's 6'7". If he doesn't lose a lot of quickness when he beefs up, he's probably the likeliest behind Peart
He's the second name on my list. I really dont have others after that at this point. Maybe I have some names that I think have potential, but a ton of ball needs to be played before I feel they are worth mentioning.

Reaction Score
Van Demark has the size. His frame is huge and he's 6'7". If he doesn't lose a lot of quickness when he beefs up, he's probably the likeliest behind Peart
I agree about Ryan. Actually Cam DeGeorge and Cespedes just may keep improving. Crozier? If he can stay healthy.
Don’t sell this team short. Believe. Take the points.

Reaction Score
What a silly comparison. For whatever reason, Boyle was beyond awful. If you saw NFL talent when he was here, you were not observing. if you end up right, it was still an irrational conclusion.

Drummond was coated with obvious NBA star talent -- what people (certainly what I) -- wondered about was not his talent, but whether the same group of players would have won more games had he not shown up in August. I still believe that to be the case to this day. AO and possibly Roscoe would have been players who earned their rings, instead of malcontents. That, by the way, is not Drummonds fault -- it's a combination of their own and the coaches who couldn't put an incredibly talented group of players together into a team.

Bus Law, Coach Patterson told me very early in Boyle's freshman year that he thought Boyle had a NFL arm and would be surprised if he didn't get a chance to play on Sunday's.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bus Law, Coach Patterson told me very early in Boyle's freshman year that he thought Boyle had a NFL arm and would be surprised if he didn't get a chance to play on Sunday's.
BTW, I think Diaco missed Patterson when he retired.

Reaction Score
I know I should not be thinking this way, but I have a hard time getting my head around having 2 NFL offensive lineman on the roster, considering how bad our line play has been the last 6+ years.

Things are changin my friends.. as the oline gains more experience and gets bigger and stronger the wins will come..Peart, RVD and Cespedes are 6-7 , DeGeorge ..6-6 ...crozier up there too.. these are big boys all with some game experience going into the first game.. much improved Oline this year!!

Last edited:
C

Chief00

I know I should not be thinking this way, but I have a hard time getting my head around having 2 NFL offensive lineman on the roster, considering how bad our line play has been the last 6+ years.
You are right to be skeptical.

C

Chief00

That’s the talent that Chief identified even during those 13 games. In other posts I broke down some key things that jumped out at me even when his statistics were poor. However, it’s a challenge to transition this knack to the many casual fans, and I know some feel I am holding something back on them. I love our casual fans and promise to willingly share whatever insights I have - but it’s an acquired taste and maybe not everyone has the traits that will get them to that level? In the meantime, enjoy the games and don’t be hard on yourselves for not identifying it.

Reaction Score
Here is a big part of the reason Boyle failed at UCONN. This is a list of every offensive lineman recruited by Piss Poor and his evil sidekick:

Xavier Hemingway
Richard Levy
Rennick Bryan
Zach Rugg
Tyler Samra
Chasz Wright
Kyle Schafenacker
Tommy Hopkins
Alex Mateas

Levy is the only player here would make our current two deep and he would just be a backup.

Here are P's wide receiver recruits:
Ricky Guttierez
John Green (recruited as a WR)
Brian Lemelle
Dhameer Bradley
Noel Thomas
Shakim Phillips

Noel Thomas is the only good player on the list. Phillips had some talent but got hurt and went back to BC.

Last edited:

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
That’s the talent that Chief identified even during those 13 games. In other posts I broke down some key things that jumped out at me even when his statistics were poor. However, it’s a challenge to transition this knack to the many casual fans, and I know some feel I am holding something back on them. I love our casual fans and promise to willingly share whatever insights I have - but it’s an acquired taste and maybe not everyone has the traits that will get them to that level? In the meantime, enjoy the games and don’t be hard on yourselves for not identifying it.

This is AMAZING.

Reaction Score
Here is a big part of the reason Boyle failed at UCONN. This is a list of every offensive lineman recruited by Piss Poor and his evil sidekick:

Xavier Hemingway
Richard Levy
Rennick Bryan
Zach Rugg
Tyler Samra
Chasz Wright
Kyle Schafenacker
Tommy Hopkins
Alex Mateas

Levy is the only player here would make our current two deep and he would just be a backup.

Ricky Guttierez
Brian Lemelle
Dhameer Bradley
Noel Thomas
Shakim Phillips
Kamal Abrams

Noel Thomas is the only good player on the list. Phillips had some talent but got hurt and went back to BC.

Coaching and teammates matter...

Reaction Score
I started this thread commenting on how Tim’s unwavering self-belief was so extraordinary in the face of his on field reality. Some mocked the idea but if you listen below, he credits that self-belief, after his admittedly lackluster experience at UConn and EKU, in getting him to last nights impressive debut. Bottom line, he feels he belongs. Looks like he’s right!
Boyle thought he ‘saw the field well’

Reaction Score

Xavier Hemingway
Richard Levy
Rennick Bryan
Zach Rugg
Tyler Samra
Chasz Wright
Kyle Schafenacker
Tommy Hopkins
Alex Mateas

Ricky Guttierez
Brian Lemelle
Dhameer Bradley
Noel Thomas
Shakim Phillips

The biggest factor in a player’s success or failure is the teaching, care and confidence instilled (or not) by his coach. It’s an indictment of just how bad the devil twins were.

Reaction Score

I don't doubt he had/has NFL arm strength. That's something you either have or you don't. But it takes a lot more than NFL arm strength to be a good QB.

Look, I have nothing against this young man and I am rooting for him to succeed. But let's not start a myth that he never had a chance to succeed here. He had chances and he never showed the ability. Is that all his fault? No, of course not. But the bottom line is that we had other QBs who, with the same chance in various years, showed more.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wishing Boyle well goes without saying (Which is why I hardly ever post it). However, I can't get too excited over 46.67% completion vs. likely future UPS dock workers, whose coaches did not game plan, and where 79/130 yards came on two plays in the last 5:05 of 4th quarter. Did he earn earlier playing time for PS game 2? Maybe, but if he out played Kizer at all, it wasn't by much.

Reaction Score
But let's not start a myth that he never had a chance to succeed here.

He never had a chance here because he was surrounded by incompetence. He could have been a better version of Zach Frazer had he played for Edsall /Moorhead. It takes a lot of talent (both coaching talent and player talent) to run a pro style offense, it's much easier to throw a dual threat QB in there who can tuck and run when everything around him is falling apart.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He never had a chance here because he was surrounded by incompetence. He could have been a better version of Zach Frazer had he played for Edsall /Moorhead. It takes a lot of talent (both coaching talent and player talent) to run a pro style offense, it's much easier to throw a dual threat QB in there who can tuck and run when everything around him is falling apart.

So explain how Cochran could come into the same situation and outperformed him. How Shirreffs could come into the same situation and outperform him. Heck, how even Whitmer could.

Would he have been better with better coaches? Of course he would have. Now explain to me why other QBs weren't disadvantaged in the same manner.

Reaction Score
So explain how Cochran could come into the same situation and outperformed him. How Shirreffs could come into the same situation and outperform him. Heck, how even Whitmer could.

Would he have been better with better coaches? Of course he would have. Now explain to me why other QBs weren't disadvantaged in the same manner.

Casey Cochran was a good college QB. There is no shame in being out performed by him. Cochran also had his growth as a player hurt by Diaco. Cochran should have come in before Boyle as he had the advantage of a redshirt and Boyle was a true frosh. Passing over Casey to play Boyle was another of Diaco's dumb moves. If CC didn't get hurt, I think that he had the ability to develop into one of UConn's better QBs.

Reaction Score

Casey had been at UCONN 20 MONTHS before he got on the field, Boyle was at UCONN 2 months before being thrown to the wolves. The decision to put Boyle in there when he clearly was not ready is the definition of incompetence. No doubt Casey had an elite QB mind, probably better than most NFL QB's. Plus Casey was coached up by a football genius father.

Shireffs was an excellent runner which as I stated makes things easier for everybody and loosens up the defense. He also was a third year player by the time he played for UCONN.

Whitmer had the JUCO year and also was a 3rd year player (notice a trend?) before he got on the field at UCONN. Experience and practice time matters.

Boyle showed he was improving in the Houston game, he made some nice throws to get the win and showed much improved footwork, but he was never going to overcome Shireffs ability to run so he wisely transferred.

Explanation requested and explanation given. Nailed it.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom