Tim Boyle Continues to Impress | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tim Boyle Continues to Impress

Reaction Score
I was at a lot of those Tim Boyle games. I came away thinking that CT HS football is played at a really low standard or that the UConn supporting cast was really bad, or both. I settled on both at the time although he had some decent receivers. Would rather have had Lagow, though.

Reaction Score
I was at a lot of those Tim Boyle games. I came away thinking that CT HS football is played at a really low standard or that the UConn supporting cast was really bad, or both. I settled on both at the time although he had some decent receivers. Would rather have had Lagow, though.
With the tune from frozen. Lagow, Lagow, can't hold it back anymore, Lagow, Lagow turn away and slam the door.

Reaction Score
His first game was great and would have been better is a few catchable balls were caught. I posted that we had another Matt Ryan on our hands. I was wrong.

It would have been different behind a better O-Line and coaching. There were times in the Diaco era where no one was getting blocked at all. It was a total free for all. I don't think any "quarterback" could have succeeded during that dark era. They brought in a fullback (Sherriffs), who had the athleticism to move around and the bulk to take some crazy shots. IMO Sherriffs is way underrated for what he accomplished under extreme duress. The preparation of a quarterback is all about recognition and progressions. Guys who love the game work hard at it. During the Diaco era, it was totally backyard football and running for your life. None of that prep mattered. One of the criticisms of Bryant was he played that style even as the O-line started to improve.

I'm glad Tim Boyle is getting a chance to do what he loves. I hope he's able to keep getting better and he is enjoying the experience.

Reaction Score
His first game was great and would have been better is a few catchable balls were caught. I posted that we had another Matt Ryan on our hands. I was wrong.

It would have been different behind a better O-Line and coaching. There were times in the Diaco era where no one was getting blocked at all. It was a total free for all. I don't think any "quarterback" could have succeeded during that dark era. They brought in a fullback (Sherriffs), who had the athleticism to move around and the bulk to take some crazy shots. IMO Sherriffs is way underrated for what he accomplished under extreme duress. The preparation of a quarterback is all about recognition and progressions. Guys who love the game work hard at it. During the Diaco era, it was totally backyard football and running for your life. None of that prep mattered. One of the criticisms of Bryant was he played that style even as the O-line started to improve.

I'm glad Tim Boyle is getting a chance to do what he loves. I hope he's able to keep getting better and he is enjoying the experience.

I agree on Sherriffs. Given the challenges of the line and the overall structure of the offense and what was expected of him, that kid was quite good.

Reaction Score

He completed 35% of his passes for under 150 yards his first game. Even grading on a huge curve accounting for him being a true freshmen making his first start for a dumpster fire team, his first game was not great.

To me, he's a practice/workout player. Guy who looks the part, throws a nice ball in controlled environments, but in game situations where he can get hit, he has to read the defense, make adjustments at the line, and everything else that goes into it he struggles. Casey Cochran was the opposite, overlooked in practice because his physical tools don't blow you away, but smart, with intangibles, knows how to run an offense. We looked like a completely different team that year once he got his shot.

Obviously Boyle was not in a good situation. Maybe if he had reshirted a year, spent 1-2 years as a backup, and then took over behind a good offensive line with weapons around him things would have gone a lot better. If the packers dvelop him well and he carves out an NFL career that would show that to be the case. But I would be surprised if that happens. I'm not overally surprised a team gave him a shot as an UDFA or that he had a couple good practices.

Reaction Score
He's not exactly Rudy... It's great for him and all but you are doing the weird thing that you do, again

Call me weird, but I call it impressive when someone who constantly hears "No" has the self belief to push on against the odds. The songwriter who wrote Billboard's #1 song of the 70's, "You Light Up My Life, pitched his song to every major label and they all turned it down before finally getting it recorded.

When all the pros are telling you no, to somehow persevere and never give up on your dream--that's a pretty inspiring story

Reaction Score
Call me weird, but I call it impressive when someone who constantly hears "No" has the self belief to push on against the odds. The songwriter who wrote Billboard's #1 song of the 70's, "You Light Up My Life, pitched his song to every major label and they all turned it down before finally getting it recorded.

When all the pros are telling you no, to somehow persevere and never give up on your dream--that's a pretty inspiring story
You just attribute everyone's success to "hard work" and "perseverance" and think that a positive outlook always results in a positive outcome. Plenty of positive, hard working people don't succeed.

You can have the best outlook and work the hardest out of anyone on Earth but if you're 5'5" you're not playing QB in High School nevermind the NFL

This is a habit that a lot of successful people have because they had success doing it, but it's purely anecdotal. Everyone thinks they work hard and have strong character.

C

Chief00

His EK stats were much, much better than his UConn stats. He played well under his ability at UConn --and that's not all on him.

Not three years - but a secret injury that - hindered his progress. They did not want the opponent to beat up on it.

Reaction Score
You want to know what happened to him? Take a look at the 2013 stat line again -
upload_2018-7-30_10-39-39-png.33312

133 attempts and sacked 18 times! That 41% of his total attempts. The kid got killed in 2013. I seem to remember that in his career here at Uconn, he took as many, if not more, vicious hits as any QB that ever played at Uconn. What happened in 2013 to the coaching staff? Oh yeah, PP was canned and Weist decide to show the fans that passing was a cool thing to do. The next two years, he barely had the chance to throw the ball thanks to coach Fishcakes and his great coaching ability.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You want to know what happened to him? Take a look at the 2013 stat line again -
upload_2018-7-30_10-39-39-png.33312

133 attempts and sacked 18 times! That 41% of his total attempts. The kid got killed in 2013. I seem to remember that in his career here at Uconn, he took as many, if not more, vicious hits as any QB that ever played at Uconn. What happened in 2013 to the coaching staff? Oh yeah, PP was canned and Weist decide to show the fans that passing was a cool thing to do. The next two years, he barely had the chance to throw the ball thanks to coach Fishcakes and his great coaching ability.

Passing was a cool thing to do when we had a quarterback who knew how to throw a catchable ball.

Weist's offense looked terrible until Boyle got benched for Cochran.

Reaction Score
Plenty of positive, hard working people don't succeed. If you're 5'5" you're not playing QB in High School never mind the NFL

Really? Thanks for that insight. Boyle has talent, it didn't manifest itself at UConn. He was marginally better at Eastern KY but hardly eye opening. Looking at all the players on his Husky team who had aspirations of moving on, one of the last you (we) would have chosen is Tim. Had he listened to the negativity he'd be selling insurance. He believed, even if we didn't. That's impressive to me.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Given Nostical's track record when it comes to predicting the team's performance the past couple years, you'd think he'd take a seat when it came to declaring the imminence of people's success.

Reaction Score
Really? Thanks for that insight. Boyle has talent, it didn't manifest itself at UConn. He was marginally better at Eastern KY but hardly eye opening. Looking at all the players on his Husky team who had aspirations of moving on, one of the last you (we) would have chosen is Tim. Had he listened to the negativity he'd be selling insurance. He believed, even if we didn't. That's impressive to me.
You do this all the time though lol that's my point.

Reaction Score
Passing was a cool thing to do when we had a quarterback who knew how to throw a catchable ball.

Weist's offense looked terrible until Boyle got benched for Cochran.
Crazy as it sounds, at the UL game, barely anyone was left towards the end so I had closer access to the bench. I started yelling, "Start Casey!" Weist heard that and looked as if his antennae were up. Smart man.

C

Chief00

A three year long secret injury...
Never said the injury was three years but it impacted his development especially given the poor line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I have to imagine Boyle was not excited to become a life long cripple like his forefathers Whitener, Cochran, BS.

Reaction Score
Some just can’t see potential like Chief can and if you can’t see it - it’s difficult for Chief to describe the eye test. The criticism Tim took, reminds me of the criticism Dre Drummond took as a Freshman by many casual fans. QB is a difficult position to play when you’re young and you are averaging more than 1 coach per season. The casual fan doesn’t calculate that into the assessment formula and Diaco did not like the forward pass. Another factor was Tim had many drops due to UConn receivers not being use to the velocity of the ball coming out of his hands. But, with pros that velocity is needed given defensive team speed. And yet another factor was a secret injury that Chief knew about.

Dre had the same coaching Merry go round with Coach’s NCAA suspension and illnesses in 2012. Another factor was getting use to a broken nose and a face mask.

So going forward, the safe advice is trust in Chief, who will calculate all these factors.

And, if he'd been on double secret probation that injury might not have happened.............

C

Chief00

Yes, that is an example where the receiver gets both hands on the ball, misses it and leads to an interception.
Please don’t be mistaken, I am not saying Tim had a great statistical career rather that there was evidence of talent and skills which could be developed with proper coaching and offensive system. You need to have that trained eye for talent and football vision to see what Tim could become.

Reaction Score
Some just can’t see potential like Chief can and if you can’t see it - it’s difficult for Chief to describe the eye test. The criticism Tim took, reminds me of the criticism Dre Drummond took as a Freshman by many casual fans. QB is a difficult position to play when you’re young and you are averaging more than 1 coach per season. The casual fan doesn’t calculate that into the assessment formula and Diaco did not like the forward pass. Another factor was Tim had many drops due to UConn receivers not being use to the velocity of the ball coming out of his hands. But, with pros that velocity is needed given defensive team speed. And yet another factor was a secret injury that Chief knew about.

Dre had the same coaching Merry go round with Coach’s NCAA suspension and illnesses in 2012. Another factor was getting use to a broken nose and a face mask.

So going forward, the safe advice is trust in Chief, who will calculate all these factors.
Boyle is still learning as a QB. Saw him play several times in high school, and he was so talented the Xavier coaches put him at multiple positions, defensive back and wide receiver or tight end, not just QB. As good as he was I think the Xavier coaching staff mishandled his development. He was not a full time QB until D'Amato graduated. Playing for a smash mouth program at Xavier didn't help him as it did at UConn under Paul Pasqualoni or Diaco who were not the best head coaches for a still learning, young quarterback.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have to imagine Boyle was not excited to become a life long cripple like his forefathers Whitener, Cochran, BS.
Chandler Whitmer looks like he's doing some modelling now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom