Tim Boyle Continues to Impress | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tim Boyle Continues to Impress

Reaction Score
Yes, that is an example where the receiver gets both hands on the ball, misses it and leads to an interception.
Please don’t be mistaken, I am not saying Tim had a great statistical career rather that there was evidence of talent and skills which could be developed with proper coaching and offensive system. You need to have that trained eye for talent and football vision to see what Tim could become.

My untrained eye and poor vision most often saw a guy with a strong arm overthrowing receivers that were double covered because TB stared down the primary receiver on every play (like on this play).
He sure looked the part of a major college QB, sizewise and arm strength wise, but didn't seem to know the plays well enough or couldn't sort through the options on each play quickly enough. Some of it could have been lack of time to throw due to a poor line, but it seemed he lacked the ability to make quick reads and find a secondary receiver or throw it away.
It's easy to criticize his play when it's not us under pressure to make a quick decision but isn't that what differentiates the great players from the average players?

Reaction Score
Chandler Whitmer looks like he's doing some modelling now.
How could you expect a man that took a beating like that to have a career that requires complex brain functions? Just aim his wheelchair left and right and smile at the camera Chandler!

Reaction Score
Well....thank you for spicing up the football board. This should make this thread interesting ;)

I do remember some Boyle passes being dropped. And...I don't think you can fairly assess his time at UConn. It was a mess. He had 13 INTs and 1 TD. And...looking at last year at EK, it wasn't that great either.

Has anyone with stats anywhere close to Boyle's actually played in the NFL? Honest question...not taking a shot at him. But if he makes it, it is a pretty amazing story.

View attachment 33312

Well, Matt Cassel threw many fewer TDs than Boyle in college.

C

Chief00

So, where does the layman go to get this training?

At this point in your life - leave it up to Chief to read the stitches on the fast ball. Just enjoy yourself and the game experience and Chief and perhaps others will do the analyletics. Quite frankly, it’s probably too late in the game to try to do it all yourself. And that’s fine.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
For reasons beyond my capabilities to understand, it seems many players do well after they leave UConn.

Reaction Score
At this point in your life - leave it up to Chief to read the stitches on the fast ball. Just enjoy yourself and the game experience and Chief and perhaps others will do the analyletics. Quite frankly, it’s probably too late in the game to try to do it all yourself. And that’s fine.

Chief, was also thinking of going to your for legal, financial and spiritual guidance as well. Either that or I will join the Branch Davidians.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe it was just his way. but I never saw any urgency or zeal in Boyle's play at UConn. That made it tough for me to get on his bandwagon.

Reaction Score
This is a quote from OC Dunn when he was introduced at UConn. Note his comment about accuracy versus arm strength and think about how Boyle's ratio of TD's to Interceptions may best illustrate his point.

“But in terms of skill set, in my opinion, accuracy is critical. You can enhance accuracy; you can't teach it. Arm talent you have to have [but] it's a little over-rated. As long as you have accuracy and timing and precision, that can always overcome arm strength. So leadership skills, accuracy and ultimately, good feet in the pocket. I think everyone gets enamored with, ‘He's an athletic quarterback.’ There are a lot of guys who aren't super athletic but have good feet in the pocket.”

Sort of like "drive for show and putt for dough"?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I hope the best for Tim Boyle and any other Connecticut kid. He was great in high school, mostly lousy at UConn and statistically underwhelming at EK. Might his talents be enhanced by better talent around him? Possibly. He's still a long shot. Now, chief00, I've been interpreting your smoke signals(casually, of course) and I think you're inferring that Boyle had an undisclosed leg injury. More clues please. Because there's nothing I enjoy more than solving the riddles of chiefs inside info.

Reaction Score
You just attribute everyone's success to "hard work" and "perseverance" and think that a positive outlook always results in a positive outcome. Plenty of positive, hard working people don't succeed.

You can have the best outlook and work the hardest out of anyone on Earth but if you're 5'5" you're not playing QB in High School nevermind the NFL

This is a habit that a lot of successful people have because they had success doing it, but it's purely anecdotal. Everyone thinks they work hard and have strong character.
It's possible with hard work to succeed. Flutie was only 5'10", Russell Wilson is 5'11" in an era when most pro scouts won't even look at you if you're less than 6'2". Tyler Matekevich was not a QB but was another player that made himself. You're correct that the chances of failure are a lot greater than success, but every once in a while some guy comes along that beats the odds. I hope Boyle is one of those.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My guess with the money and player involved with the trade for kizer that Tim would be on the practice squad more than likely

Reaction Score
I’m still laughing at this notion that the good posters are somewhere else - not on your Boneyard.

In honor of our 20 year Anniversary, the cold reality is that the GREAT posters have been replaced by a generation less funny less amusing less articulate less knowledgeable about sports. Amen

Reaction Score
Whatever the outcome of the Packer game, this is elegant proof that Pasqualoni had much more talented players then they showed.

Agree. P had plenty of talent on both sides of the ball. He was handed an NFL defense and still couldn't win. By year three the thing was permanently broken. God only knows what you have to do (or not do) to get fired after 4 games.

Reaction Score
Some just can’t see potential like Chief can and if you can’t see it - it’s difficult for Chief to describe the eye test. The criticism Tim took, reminds me of the criticism Dre Drummond took as a Freshman by many casual fans. QB is a difficult position to play when you’re young and you are averaging more than 1 coach per season. The casual fan doesn’t calculate that into the assessment formula and Diaco did not like the forward pass. Another factor was Tim had many drops due to UConn receivers not being use to the velocity of the ball coming out of his hands. But, with pros that velocity is needed given defensive team speed. And yet another factor was a secret injury that Chief knew about.

Dre had the same coaching Merry go round with Coach’s NCAA suspension and illnesses in 2012. Another factor was getting use to a broken nose and a face mask.

So going forward, the safe advice is trust in Chief, who will calculate all these factors.

What a silly comparison. For whatever reason, Boyle was beyond awful. If you saw NFL talent when he was here, you were not observing. if you end up right, it was still an irrational conclusion.

Drummond was coated with obvious NBA star talent -- what people (certainly what I) -- wondered about was not his talent, but whether the same group of players would have won more games had he not shown up in August. I still believe that to be the case to this day. AO and possibly Roscoe would have been players who earned their rings, instead of malcontents. That, by the way, is not Drummonds fault -- it's a combination of their own and the coaches who couldn't put an incredibly talented group of players together into a team.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

What a silly comparison. For whatever reason, Boyle was beyond awful. If you saw NFL talent when he was here, you were not observing. if you end up right, it was still an irrational conclusion.

Drummond was coated with obvious NBA star talent -- what people (certainly what I) -- wondered about was not his talent, but whether the same group of players would have won more games had he not shown up in August. I still believe that to be the case to this day. AO and possibly Roscoe would have been players who earned their rings, instead of malcontents. That, by the way, is not Drummonds fault -- it's a combination of their own and the coaches who couldn't put an incredibly talented group of players together into a team.

I think you slept during that MBB season. The reason they did relatively poorly by Calhoun’s standards was Jimmy served an NCAA suspension (which included a practice ban) and missed several games due to health absences. Additionally, we were without our point guard (Boatshow) for part of the season due to an NCAA investigation. Finally, Drummond got hit in the nose and had to adjust to wearing a mask both physically and psychologically.

I do grant you, Alex and Dre, while on friendly terms, did not play basketball well together, which Chief could breakdown but it would divert from our discussion. As I mentioned to Dre at the time, he had to adjust to getting rebounds by not merely jumping over people like in Prep or reaching for the ball. He had to learn how to get position and that took awhile - but he mastered that in the pros.

You are right, Alex did get frustrated and on that talented team there were some guys who did not get the minutes they wanted and that caused some issues.

With all those disruptions, Jimmy could not get the continuity to peak the team like he usually did.

As for Tim, he always passed the NFL potential eye test with me. My eye test looks at how the ball came out of his hands, throws he could make and size. While he never became a leader at UConn, knowing him a little I wasn’t concerned about that surfacing with more maturity and experience. He had very poor blocking, receivers who couldn’t get separation and were not used to catching NFL velocity throws given our other QB’s and poor coaching schemes. .Admittedly, in my mind, accuracy was a question mark. Early in his college career the ball sometimes took off and went high. He also had to learn progressions.
True, the casual fan and even some who consider themselves “ experts” will look at statistics. While at some point you do need production - it’s clear the Packer scouts saw the protential Chief and one or two others on this Yard saw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom