These are the AG facts! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

These are the AG facts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
With a week layoff and due to recent disagreements concerning AG’s (Aubrey) play, in particular against Ark, I decided to review the game, mostly keeping my eye on 4 players: AG, CW, EW and Dungee. For convenience, I’ve broken this analysis down by summary and then the details.

For those of you who think AG got abused by Dungee, you are flat wrong! No way to cherry-coat it, you are full of complete bulls***!

These are the facts: AG gave up 7 points to Dungee the entire time she was in the game. Most all of AG’s offensive and rebounding stats came in the first half when she played 16 of 20 minutes.

Dungee scored 30 points off of Uconn players not named AG. CW (Christyn) and EW (Evina) were consistently abused by Dungee, but to my knowledge nobody has ever mentioned this. Instead, somehow it was AG’s fault Dungee went for 37. Don’t let the facts get in the way of your silly opinion. If we play Ark, again, I would think GA would come up with slightly different plan to guard Dungee.

Frist half summary:

AG plays all but 4 minutes. Uconn up 2. 43-41. Uconn on pace to score 86 pts which is ample to win games and most of the time AG is in the game. But yet I constantly hear that AG slows down the offense!!!

Poor defense by most Uconn players EXCEPT AG causing Ark to score 41. AG only gave up 3 points in the first half to Dungee. Numerous TOs by UCONN players not named AG thereby wasting several possessions!

AG scores 6 pts on 2-4 shooting, including a 3. 5 rebounds, including 2 offensive (only one in the box but definitely had 2), 2 steals. She also created two additional possessions for Uconn which don’t get counted in the box but are as good as steals: tie-up to gain an extra possession and caused a TO with aggressive defense to gain another additional possession.

Defense: Dungee 1-2 against AG, scored ONLY 3 points. Twice AG stopped Dungee cold. Dungee running by all other UCONN defenders like they don’t exist! Dungee scores 12 on the rest of the team for a total of 15 at the half.

AG played very well in the first half. She did her job!

Second Half summary:

AG plays only 3 minutes: goes 0-1, 1 rebound and gives up 4 pts. Then she sits the rest of the game.

First Half Details:

2 Rebounds, 2 steals – fumbled the second one out of bounds when going in for the layup, post up for 2,missed 2 outside jumpers 1 for 2 on FT, scoring 3 in the 1st Qtr, great defense throughout and gave up only 3pts to Dungee. Stopped her cold once and she shot 1-2. CW very good shooting. Problem with TOs from Liv and CW, losing 5 possession as a result. Score 22-18, UCONN on pace to score 88 – too many TOs.

Start of 2nd Qtr, EW on Dungee and she easily goes by her for 2 pts, then easily goes by CW for another two. Big difference when AG is on her as Dungee has to really work to score. CW with the TO but AG with the tie-up and saves the possession. With the extra possession that AG gave UCONN, we get a lay-up out of it. AG out at 8:10 to go in 2nd Qtr, Uconn up by 2 at 24-22. Later Dungee uses a pick and easily goes by CW again for 2 more pts.

Corner three and TOs killing UCONN. AG back in at 4:18. Sat for 4 minutes during which time AE (Aaliyah) took over. Uconn up by 3. AG immediately gets another rebound. Aggressive defense from AG causes a TO by Ark.

Uconn quickly goes up by 8 with AG back in the game but two straight poor defensive possessions, one by CW and the other by NM leads to 4 pts and then an offensive foul on AE. Then CW gives up 3 to Dungee. CW with the offensive foul and then gives up another easy two for Dungee. Got to wonder why GA has CW on Dungee. Dungee knows she can take her every time! Poor coaching.

AG with another offensive board to get UCONN another possession. Third offensive foul on Uconn in a span of 4 minutes. AG hits the three from the corner. Uconn leads at half 43-41

2nd Half Details:

Dungee immediately goes by EW like she wasn’t even there for a quick 2. Dungee puts 2-3 moves together to get a pretty scoop shot against AG. But, she had to really work for it. She didn’t just breeze by her like she does against CW and EW.

First time I saw poor defense by AG giving up the dribble penetration. Where is the help defense in the middle of the lane? Where is Liv? CW bricks two open shots in the flow of the offense. Uconn now down by 7, 50-43. What happens if CW can hit those shots, which are easy mid-range shots?? This is why we now have NM (Nika) starting and PB coming off those picks for the mid-range instead of CW! What happens if we get a little help defense to protect the lane from Liv?

AG defensive rebound, AG misses a three and then CW gives up the ANOTHER easy lay-up. CW defense is beyond horrible! But GA must be ok with this because he decides to sit AG instead. AG out of the game at 7 minutes, 52-43 Ark, never to return. CW gets another mid-range but gets her shot blocked this time.

CW gives up the drive AGAIN with the foul. CW gives up a three AGAIN, bricks 2 FTs and then bricks an open three. Dungee going off with 2 three pointers…but AG is on the bench. GA has seen enough of CW missing and now makes PB the focal point of the offense with NM at the point to feed her coming off picks…gets a quick 4 points and goes off the rest of the game.

4th offensive foul on Uconn with complete BS call on EW. Dungees get to the rim again creating the put-back for Barnum. To be honest, this was one of several times I thought Dungee drew the foul, but none called. Really savvy player! Dungee goes by MM but that was a clear offensive foul…hmm Uconn called for ticky tacky offensive fouls (2 were not even fouls) and clearly Dungee pushes off and doesn’t get called for the foul!

5th offensive foul on Uconn as AE fouls out. How many times does a team get called for 5 offensive fouls in 2.5 quarters?? That is hard, very hard to do! Refs are biased with these calls.

CW gives up ANOTHER corner 3 after NM played Dungee tough. An horrendous defensive game by CW. Numerous defensive lapses by CW and throwing up bricks on offensive but for some reason, GA sticks with her.

Rameriz closes the 3rd out with a deep contested three. Uconn down 72-62 and falls three points further behind with AG on the bench who only played 3 minutes in the 3rd quarter. UConn gives up 31 points in the 3rd alone after giving up 41 in the entire first half. Obviously, AG sitting on the bench didn’t help. To be fair, Ark was hitting their shots too.

4th quarter

Dungee gets away with another clear push off. Makes no sense that the refs don’t see this but yet call tick-tacky offensive fouls against Uconn and two were not even fouls. Dungee abuses EW again and goes around her likes she isn’t even there. Dungee against CW or EW is like taking candy from a baby!

Uconn closing the gap as PB has taken over with NM in the game. This is when I think GA started to contemplate starting NM so he can get PB more involved and CW less involved.

Dungee gets away with at least her 3rd offensive foul by pushing NM to the floor. Also, this was the last terrific game on the offensive end from EW. She was terrific on that end, but not very good defensively. EW goes under the screen giving up ANOTHER 3 to Rameriz.

Dungee abuses CW AGAIN to the bucket for the 2 and a foul.
I appreciate that you took the time to write this post but could you please define the players’ initials first before using them? Some of us more, um, mature readers need a couple seconds to scroll through the roster in our minds to know who you’re talking about. It has the unfortunate effect of making reading long posts tedious

Reaction Score
This thread wasn't about playing time. But to answer your question, I think she deserves more playing time for a number of reasons:
1. She is a very good and versatile defender.
2. She is an excellent rebounder.
3. She can be used to post up players which she was doing effectively when GA was calling for that earlier in the year.
4. She can dribble and take her man to the basket if they over-play her.
5. She is adequate in the half court and if allowed more time, I think she could develop more chemistry.
6. She has hit the 3 before and I think she needs to hit a couple and she will take off. She has good form but you can see she lacks confidence my really over-aiming the shot. NM got past this.
7. She makes an impact every single time she is on the floor.

I believe she is not getting playing time due to the following:
1. Emergence of AE is the biggest reason
2. Emergence of NM at the point and GA leaving EW and CW in the game for long minutes. He has reduced EW's minutes down, but her refuses to do that to CW, no matter how bad she plays, especially on defense.
3. I don't think GA will ever bench CW much(he has only done it once to my knowledge) because he doesn't want to lose her emotionally and mentally(I get the feeling she can lose confidence easily), and to be honest, if she could just hit her open jumpers she would be twice the player she is now.
4. She doesn't quite have the chemistry with the other players on the half court, but I think that would come with longer more consistent minutes. She was playing well over 20 and now down to around 10 minutes per game, give or take. The last time she played big minutes in a half (16 against Ark), UConn scored 43 and if not for silly turnovers by other players, it could have been 50. That is pretty good production against a pretty good team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
REMEMBER - EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO POST THEIR PERSONAL OPINIONS ON THIS SITE, WHEN EVER THEY WANT TO, JUST AS LONG AS IT IS RESPECTFUL !!! (And We All Can Agree To Disagree to which We ALL Also Must Respect). [although I happen to 100% agree with Jazz). So with that, my message to JAZZ is, POST AS YOU WILL and IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE TO GET YOUR "PERSONAL OPINION" ACCROSS, THEN

View attachment 65376
Stop shouting. we get it

Reaction Score
I appreciate that you took the time to write this post but could you please define the players’ initials first before using them? Some of us more, um, mature readers need a couple seconds to scroll through the roster in our minds to know who you’re talking about. It has the unfortunate effect of making reading long posts tedious
I thought you gave a list of all the initials.....

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
FWIW, post players are always going to have higher efficiency ratings then perimeter players. No one's ever extrapolated from that to "let's play five posts". The only thing unusual about this UConn team is Paige's unreal efficiency.

Reaction Score
Stop shouting. we get it

1615134489015.png

Reaction Score
But they've accrued those numbers playing the same position. Put them on the floor together and they are sharing those same numbers, or worse. There's no reason to think those #'s won't change when you start playing them out of position; Geno wants to play the small lineup for spacing and ball movement. Roll out four forwards and watch the turnovers accumulate. Aubrey has made some nice plays putting the ball on the floor from the wing but she's not a distributor and you don't want her with the ball in her hands making decisions for extended minutes. This is not a knock, she's simply not a 1 or a 2 and that's where people seem to want to find her minutes. It's not Christyn or Evina that are eating Aubrey's potential minutes, it's Aaliyah and, as impactful as Aubrey undeniably is, Aaliyah is earning what she's getting.
No doubt Red but also GA is going with NM at the point to help get PB going while also playing CW for over 35 minutes every game. I think if you switched out CW with AG for an additional 8-10 minutes a game, I think you might improve the overall efficiency of the game. CW gives up a lot on the defensive end and throws up a lot of bricks. Maybe she could improve with a bit more rest each game.

Yes I know that GA doens't agree.

Reaction Score
Aubrey is physically gifted. However, she is not confident when she gets the ball. Her first instinct is to pass the ball to another player. Her second instinct is to drive to the basket, which she does with some success. She needs to learn to pass better and to drive better to get more minutes. Some of her plays are absolutely incredible.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I thought you gave a list of all the initials.....
It was untacked a while ago. But going back and forth between posts is tedious too. I went through your post and identified some names so you can see what I’m asking

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
No doubt Red but also GA is going with NM at the point to help get PB going while also playing CW for over 35 minutes every game. I think if you switched out CW with AG for an additional 8-10 minutes a game, I think you might improve the overall efficiency of the game. CW gives up a lot on the defensive end and throws up a lot of bricks. Maybe she could improve with a bit more rest each game.

Yes I know that GA doens't agree.
fair enough, and he's had some good run with the big lineup. maybe situations and matchups will dictate going forward anyway. I just want to be on record that my preference for one lineup is not disrespectful to anyone else, I wish they could all play 40 all the way to Autumn. Figuring that out is Geno's difficult job, not mine.

Reaction Score
For me, I believe AG is improving. She is a little hesitant which I’m sure Geno will continue to work on. I bet she comes back as a junior leaps and bounds better. She’s super talented, just needs to work on a few things. This summer she will. Geno has a year-end meeting with each player on things he would like them to work on.
However, if Nika is out the rest of the BET my common sense tells me AG will play more.
Hopefully she plays well or will get pulled. I’m rooting for you AG! BIGTIME!

Reaction Score
fair enough, and he's had some good run with the big lineup. maybe situations and matchups will dictate going forward anyway. I just want to be on record that my preference for one lineup is not disrespectful to anyone else, I wish they could all play 40 all the way to Autumn. Figuring that out is Geno's difficult job, not mine.
I guess my biggest grip is that CW continues to play 35 plus minutes. I think GA is afraid of her losing her confidence but what is wrong with playing her say 28 minutes?

Anyway, it is what it is.....

Reaction Score
For me, I believe AG is improving. She is a little hesitant which I’m sure Geno will continue to work on. I bet she comes back as a junior leaps and bounds better. She’s super talented, just needs to work on a few things. This summer she will. Geno has a year-end meeting with each player on things he would like them to work on.
However, if Nika is out the rest of the BET my common sense tells me AG will play more.
Hopefully she plays well or will get pulled. I’m rooting for you AG! BIGTIME!
I just hope GA gives her something like 6-8 straight minutes and not this yo-yo thing he does with her sometimes. I think this causes her to be hesitant, thinking if she makes any mistake, she goes straight back to the bench.....

Reaction Score
OMG, would your two just get a room already!
actually im not sure Griff likes me as much as I like him/her or whatever I'm supposed to say these days when you dont know the gender of somebody.....

sorry Griff. im afraid of not being perfectly PC....

Reaction Score
Man, is only 11:34 AM. After reading through this post I need 4 fingers of bourbon!!!?
you sharing? i got some nice 15 year old scotch as well....single malt...only way to go! :)

Reaction Score
FWIW, post players are always going to have higher efficiency ratings then perimeter players. No one's ever extrapolated from that to "let's play five posts". The only thing unusual about this UConn team is Paige's unreal efficiency.
Well if Paige's efficiency of 23 is unreal, what does that make Caitlan's efficiency of 26?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Well if Paige's efficiency of 23 is unreal, what does that make Caitlan's efficiency of 26?
unrealer? Paige's shooting has fallen off down the stretch.

Reaction Score
I just hope GA gives her something like 6-8 straight minutes and not this yo-yo thing he does with her sometimes. I think this causes her to be hesitant, thinking if she makes any mistake, she goes straight back to the bench.....
Geno did this to Natalie Butler her whole time at Uconn. She would get in a game and do something wrong and her day was probably over. Yet she performed well overall considering the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom