These are the AG facts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who exactly are these people?????

the man who killed don quixote GIF

Now that GIF may make sense to others, BUT it doesn't make any sense to me

Reaction Score
REMEMBER - EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO POST THEIR PERSONAL OPINIONS ON THIS SITE, WHEN EVER THEY WANT TO, JUST AS LONG AS IT IS RESPECTFUL !!! (And We All Can Agree To Disagree to which We ALL Also Must Respect). [although I happen to 100% agree with Jazz). So with that, my message to JAZZ is, POST AS YOU WILL and IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE TO GET YOUR "PERSONAL OPINION" ACCROSS, THEN

View attachment 65376
yeah I'm still on the ride and if you don't like it, you dont have to read my posts.

Reaction Score
Obviously you are entitled to your opinion but I certainly think she can dribble and pass and has shown this many times.

Reaction Score
I think Nika's injury and Anna returning, puts the starting lineup and distribution of minutes up for reconsideration.
Aubrey scores at a higher volume and efficiency than most players, despite her lack of pure shooting abilities. True she can not space the floor, but does it in different ways.

Personally I was against the small/ball lineup from the beginning, but I understand that some of that logic was due to the experience of Evina, Christyn, and Anna, vs. two freshmen (Aaliyah and Mir) and one soph in Aubrey that played less than Anna last year.

The bigs have more game experience now, and the argument for small/ball is weaker now. None of the "experienced players" have had a breakout quantum leap. Aaliyah has emerged from the pack, as the one player who most needs to be moved into the starting lineup, but not just because of her.

If you look at the PER stats (player efficiency rating), you might be surprised that not one, but every one of the PF's have a significantly better PER than all of the guards and wings not named Paige. Yes Aaliyah, Aubrey and even Mir are all better by a significant margin on this comprehensive stat than Christyn and Evina, and way better than Anna and Nika.

So the reason to start Aaliyah which is sound in isolation, is even more relevant because Aubrey for sure and perhaps Mir as well need more minutes too. We don't have to fit a square peg in a round hole because we don't have good PF options. We have two very goods ones and maybe three, and a guard is injured. Playing Evina, Christyn, or Anna at the four, reduces the minutes of all three of the PF's.

I presume that would mean Paige, Christyn and Evina starting, and Anna being a versatile backup at all three positions. When Paige is out Evina becomes the principle point guard. With Anna stretched to back up three spots, we might have to go big/ball for stretches, where Aubrey or Mir covers some of the backup minutes at the wing.

Most on the Boneyard think Aaliyah is the ultimate long term starter at PF anyway. She has proved herself and the injury to Nika just makes it that much easier to do it now, getting not just more minutes for her, but Aubrey and perhaps Mir as well.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
PEACE AND LOVE EVERYONE !! I LOVE AND ENJOY AUBREY GRIFFIN'S GAME TOO AND BELIEVE HER "PER MINUTE PLAYED" STATS WARRANT INCREASED PLAYING TIME, BUT PLEASE REMEMBER AND "RESPECT" (AND THIS INCLUDES EVERYONE ON THE BONEYARD

View attachment 65367
There is a longstanding policy of not typing in all caps. Please refrain from this practice.

Reaction Score
How about he just watches game film and come up with his own plan, oh wait he does. Hence the new starting lineup and substitution pattern, which may change with Nika's injury.
thanks for stating the obvious Nick. You are very clever now aren't you!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She does not have limited basketball skills and your opinion won't change that. She has not exhibited them yet. She has limited knowledge of the UConn system.

Reaction Score
Not buying any of this. Especially the party where when Dungee beats everyone else it is in your words "abuse" but when she beats Aubrey she just happen to get by. My observation is that Dungee was an equally opportunity abuser in this game. Dungee, Slocum and Ramirez was giving it to EVERYONE!
It's ok, I'm not trying to sell you anything. But your observation is flawed. AG played well on defense and was not getting beat like the rest of the our guards. But before you go telling me I'm wrong, then you need to watch the game again Coco.

Dungee went straight by everybody that guarded her with the exception of AG. Dungee made it look easy against CW and EW. She had to work against AG. Just watch the game and tell me where AG gets beaten badly like CW and EW did. AG did have one lapse on a dribble penetration but that is about it.

As I said, AG gave up 7 points to Dungee and she had to earn them.

Reaction Score
You state the obvious, about me. But seem to believe the coaching staff less so, at least less than you.
I'm not following you. But if you are trying to say that the coaching staff know more than I do about their own players, then welcome to reality mate. I would freaking hope so and thanks for enlightening me.

Doesn't mean I have to agree with them ALL the time does it?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
REMEMBER - EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO POST THEIR PERSONAL OPINIONS ON THIS SITE, WHEN EVER THEY WANT TO, JUST AS LONG AS IT IS RESPECTFUL !!! (And We All Can Agree To Disagree to which We ALL Also Must Respect). [although I happen to 100% agree with Jazz). So with that, my message to JAZZ is, POST AS YOU WILL and IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE TO GET YOUR "PERSONAL OPINION" ACCROSS, THEN

View attachment 65376
And thankfully the Admins gave us the method to Ignore not only threads but also members.

Edit: is it just me or is the Ignore thread button no longer available???

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She does not have limited basketball skills and your opinion won't change that. She has not exhibited them yet. She has limited knowledge of the UConn system.
I agree Donald for the most part, but I also think she doesn't have a great feel for what GA wants out of her in the half court. She seems to struggle with what her instincts tell her to do and what GA is telling her to do. She is caught between the two and that to me is as much a coaching problem as it is a player problem.

Reaction Score
Obviously, statistics alone don't tell the whole story as many other variables may factor in. With that said, based on actual games played, AG (11.5) has a higher performance rating than both Nika (7.4) and Anna (9.6). Extrapolation has its own set of problems, but just for fun, here are the stats based on 35 min per game for each player: ONO: 25.8, Edwards 23.5, Paige 22.7, AG: 22.7, EW: 16.9, CW: 14.4, Anna: 12.8, Nika: 10.3.

Pretty interesting that ONO, despite sometimes missing bunnies and open 15 footers, is nonetheless very effective. Very surprised at lower numbers for the guards, with exception of Paige. I think biggest factor is poor 3 point shooting.

Reaction Score
Obviously, statistics alone don't tell the whole story as many other variables may factor in. With that said, based on actual games played, AG (11.5) has a higher performance rating than both Nika (7.4) and Anna (9.6). Extrapolation has its own set of problems, but just for fun, here are the stats based on 35 min per game for each player: ONO: 25.8, Edwards 23.5, Paige 22.7, AG: 22.7, EW: 16.9, CW: 14.4, Anna: 12.8, Nika: 10.3.

Pretty interesting that ONO, despite sometimes missing bunnies and open 15 footers, is nonetheless very effective. Very surprised at lower numbers for the guards, with exception of Paige. I think biggest factor is poor 3 point shooting.
You are right that stats don't tell the whole story but they always tell you something, and usually that something is a big something.

Good defense like keeping players in front of you and stopping dribble penetration doesn't show up in the box. Tie ups and forced errors don't show up either....just to count a few.

Reaction Score
Aubrey is a great athlete that is playing basketball! She can't shoot further than 4 feet from the rim! Her 3 point shot starting with her form is a Jr. high players! So when she is out there or the high post why guard her! Double down low on Liv or Aaliyah because it's easy to play 5 on 4 defense! She can only play the 4 or 5 and only if she's on the low block because she can't hit the high post jumper! Edwards is the 4 and if she stays out of foul trouble should be on the floor here on out. Her physicality is needed on this team and she gets better every game! If Amari starts next year like AE did Griffins minutes will be cut even more unless she makes a big jump offensively!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
If you look at the PER stats (player efficiency rating), you might be surprised that not one, but every one of the PF's have a significantly better PER than all of the guards and wings not named Paige. Yes Aaliyah, Aubrey and even Mir are all better by a significant margin on this comprehensive stat than Christyn and Evina, and way better than Anna and Nika.
But they've accrued those numbers playing the same position. Put them on the floor together and they are sharing those same numbers, or worse. There's no reason to think those #'s won't change when you start playing them out of position; Geno wants to play the small lineup for spacing and ball movement. Roll out four forwards and watch the turnovers accumulate. Aubrey has made some nice plays putting the ball on the floor from the wing but she's not a distributor and you don't want her with the ball in her hands making decisions for extended minutes. This is not a knock, she's simply not a 1 or a 2 and that's where people seem to want to find her minutes. It's not Christyn or Evina that are eating Aubrey's potential minutes, it's Aaliyah and, as impactful as Aubrey undeniably is, Aaliyah is earning what she's getting.

Reaction Score
You are right that stats don't tell the whole story but they always tell you something, and usually that something is a big something.

Good defense like keeping players in front of you and stopping dribble penetration doesn't show up in the box. Tie ups and forced errors don't show up either....just to count a few.

1615133706367.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak