huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Haha huskeynut, send me a pix!
We’d love to try it! Hubby and me!
Here it is!!!

Nikka Whisky.png

Reaction Score
Don't compare Gabby and Aubrey because when Gabby made a play more often than not something good happened.
Gabby was one of my favorites players, she played out of control until he senior year, and was in foul trouble all the time, plus missed many bunnies. AG was fifth in scoring today and second in rebounding with zero fouls in 18 minutes. Next year she will be the Bernard King of WBB, Mir will be really improved, By GA and the team.

Reaction Score
I didn't see the whole game today but Aubrey missed two layups without being close to any iron. One was a foot- foot and a half away. Unlike Gabby!
She was the 5th leading scoring this game and 2nd in rebounds

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Here's what bothers me about this thread...especially the first couple of pages
(I got bored and didn't read every last submission; my bad).

Jazz does some intense research and comes to the conclusion (among other things) that Aubrey guarded Dungee more efficiently than our other guards...fair enough...since I haven't re-watched the game, with a pencil and paper (yet); i can't comment on whether or not I agree with the premise.

But to opine on Aubrey's skills in general (negatively) while not addressing the substance of Jazz' position seems (how can I put it politely) nekulturny.

For me, in order to agree or disagree, one has to at least somewhat go through the process that Jazz undertook...To not do this and to write tangentially about ones feelings or anecdotal observations, feels intellectually dishonest.

Reaction Score
Gabby was one of my favorites players, she played out of control until he senior year, and was in foul trouble all the time, plus missed many bunnies. AG was fifth in scoring today and second in rebounding with zero fouls in 18 minutes. Next year she will be the Bernard King of WBB, Mir will be really improved, By GA and the team.

I'm a huge King fan. But I don't believe you about Gabby.

You are saying you are a real Gabby fan that says that she played out of control in her junior year?
So you as a supposed Gabby fan yet say that she played out of control when she was a 1st team a/a while averaging over 14ppg shooting over 58% from the floor and leading the undefeated reg. season huskies in assists with over a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio as a post type player? And as a proclaimed Gabby fan, you are saying she was out of control this particular season?

I hope you are right about AG being Bernard King. And as a King fan that you are- you know one of King's sweet shots was his quick turnaround post jump shot. Can you provide one instance that you saw AG hit one of those this season or last?

Reaction Score
I didn't see the whole game today but Aubrey missed two layups without being close to any iron. One was a foot- foot and a half away. Unlike Gabby!
I haven't watched the game yet but my response was not that AG is like Gabby. It was that AG makes good things happen and that was the spirit of my response as well. Now looking at the box, in 18 minutes, AG had 7 pts, 6 rebounds, a steal and no TOs or fouls. She was 3-7 from the field. I'd say she probably made some good things happen.

The original post implied that AG didn't make many good things happen and that is just not even close to accurate. I was not comparing the two players however as the original post was. I thought that was clear in my response...I hope that it is now.

Reaction Score
Can't resist one more post very quick on 3 points

1-- I don't know why you keep mentioning Nika Muhl in terms of that you were right. I think 99% of all us knew she was a good passer and had a good handle. Those are two of three basic fundamentals for a player being an offensive triplet threat.

2--- I'll reiterate. This teams needs offense. Aubrey Griffin is offensively challenged and to play her more in hopes is an enormous gamble not worth talking. And CWill is a better passer, a better shooter and has a better handle than Aubrey.

3 - I no longer believe CWill is a poor defender. I don’t think it’s even close to say that. Poor defenders would've been wiped out vs South Carolina. The biggest concern in that game was their center.
1. I don't remember anybody calling for NM to play more which is what I was eluding to. I was. Soon thereafter GA started to play her more and more and compliment her play. Then all of a sudden, the entire boneyard thinks NM is a really good player. But before this, it was 'she is a good passer but is too slow and can't shoot. Can't make a layup, etc. ' She was having early troubles with some of this, but she also had the injury and of course, people were grossly exaggerating her limitations as a player. I had many a debate about this before NM was inserted in the starting line-up.

2. You can reiterate all you want, but AG does a lot more than shoot the ball. Playing her 8 minutes more a game is not an 'enormous gamble'. Really? You think those 8 minutes are going to be so catastrophic that it will cost us the season?? CW can score when she is on, but for most of three years, she has not been on and has been really streaky. So can she do other things to help us win? Well, she is not a prolific passer, she may be marginally better than AG but she is a starting guard and should be a really good passer. CW averages more TOs per game than she does assists...at least from the SC game anyway, and that includes her best stretch of games.

3. I am not convinced that CW is not a poor defender. She may be defending better, but the competition has been poor the last month or so. To say it is 'not even close' is absurd. She gives up a lot of penetration and is rarely a factor defensively. Actually, more often than not, she is a liability. In addition, she has very few blocks and only 4 steals in the last 10 games or so. Heck, NM, whom I was told many times earlier in the year, is so very slow, had 4 steals in the first quarter the other day. That is one quarter not 9-10 games! CW plays 35+ minutes a game and can only get 4 steals in the last 10 games and average less than 1.4 assist per game??? Instead of having an Assist to TO ratio, she has a TO to Assist ratio of 1.3 since SC. That is very poor for a starting guard in her third year.

But since you brought up SC, which was roughly a month ago, it is still a decent barometer, considering they may be the best team we played all year, let me remind you of a few things. So how did the great CW do? Keep in mind that CW is a focal point of our offense and AG is not.

In 34 minutes, CW shot 3-11, had 4 TOs, 3 rebounds, no assists, no steals, no blocks and had a hard time keeping the SC guards in front of her. Fortunately, the SC guards couldn't make their shots. We only won because, out of all our players, PB was the one to take over. CW couldn't do it.

Now it wasn't AG's best game either, but in only 22 minutes, she scored 4 points on 2-7 shooting, 7 rebounds, 3 offensive, 2 steals, 3 blocks with 3 TOs and 4 fouls. I'd say she impacted the game more than CW in far more ways in far less time.

I hope CW turns it around and not just for one game. But I've been waiting for this to happen for 3 years. A few more minutes for AG and a few less for CW would be good for our team, in my opinion. Not 20 more minutes, not for CW to sit for half the game, just 8 minutes less to bring her down to say 30 minutes a game....I think it would help CW be more effective as well.

Reaction Score

Her Jr. Year she was picked by Jay Bilas as the best athlete in CBB Men or Women and thoroughly outplayed Aja Wilson and Brianna Turner head to head that year! Two of the best teams in WCBB! Aubrey played Villanova today. Big difference.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched the game yet but my response was not that AG is like Gabby. It was that AG makes good things happen and that was the spirit of my response as well. Now looking at the box, in 18 minutes, AG had 7 pts, 6 rebounds, a steal and no TOs or fouls. She was 3-7 from the field. I'd say she probably made some good things happen.

The original post implied that AG didn't make many good things happen and that is just not even close to accurate. I was not comparing the two players however as the original post was. I thought that was clear in my response...I hope that it is now.
You never know what Aubrey will show up and usually you can tell with her after a few minutes. She made a great catch and scored with a pass from Evina and a nice post up and score. Then she throws 2 bricks off the backboard hard that weren't close to iron. So as a Coach you can live with that against weaker teams but against the better teams in a close game. Is it worth it. That's why her minutes vary all the time.

Reaction Score
You never know what Aubrey will show up and usually you can tell with her after a few minutes. She made a great catch and scored with a pass from Evina and a nice post up and score. Then she throws 2 bricks off the backboard hard that weren't close to iron. So as a Coach you can live with that against weaker teams but against the better teams in a close game. Is it worth it. That's why her minutes vary all the time.
They were bricks? One was challenged by a big and the other one I thought she was bumped. Everybody throws bricks. EW through up an airball. CW got stuffed twice. AE missed two bunnies and Liv misses bunnies all the time.

You definitely know what you will get when AG is in the game: which obviously you didn't notice. What about the 7 rebounds, the steal, the forced turnover, the three times she did finish.....no let's try to make a point by focusing on two exaggerated assertions.

She could have finished better, but overall she was effective.

As far as who shows up against weaker vs stronger teams?? AG shows up as well as anybody except for PB. Just check out the ARk and SC games. She wasn't great, but she was pretty good too and effective....Others not so much.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ag, so gifted, so raw. Her foul shots are so smooth now. Why doesn't that translate into a 15 footer? The debate continues. What will the finished product look like? But that deep pass, and the wonderful catch and finish----

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ag, so gifted, so raw. Her foul shots are so smooth now. Why doesn't that translate into a 15 footer? The debate continues. What will the finished product look like? But that deep pass, and the wonderful catch and finish----
She’s a gem, to be sure. A bit unpolished now but I look forward to seeing her play once the coaching staff develops her gifts.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1. I don't remember anybody calling for NM to play more which is what I was eluding to. I was. Soon thereafter GA started to play her more and more and compliment her play. Then all of a sudden, the entire boneyard thinks NM is a really good player. But before this, it was 'she is a good passer but is too slow and can't shoot. Can't make a layup, etc. ' She was having early troubles with some of this, but she also had the injury and of course, people were grossly exaggerating her limitations as a player. I had many a debate about this before NM was inserted in the starting line-up.

2. You can reiterate all you want, but AG does a lot more than shoot the ball. Playing her 8 minutes more a game is not an 'enormous gamble'. Really? You think those 8 minutes are going to be so catastrophic that it will cost us the season?? CW can score when she is on, but for most of three years, she has not been on and has been really streaky. So can she do other things to help us win? Well, she is not a prolific passer, she may be marginally better than AG but she is a starting guard and should be a really good passer. CW averages more TOs per game than she does assists...at least from the SC game anyway, and that includes her best stretch of games.

3. I am not convinced that CW is not a poor defender. She may be defending better, but the competition has been poor the last month or so. To say it is 'not even close' is absurd. She gives up a lot of penetration and is rarely a factor defensively. Actually, more often than not, she is a liability. In addition, she has very few blocks and only 4 steals in the last 10 games or so. Heck, NM, whom I was told many times earlier in the year, is so very slow, had 4 steals in the first quarter the other day. That is one quarter not 9-10 games! CW plays 35+ minutes a game and can only get 4 steals in the last 10 games and average less than 1.4 assist per game??? Instead of having an Assist to TO ratio, she has a TO to Assist ratio of 1.3 since SC. That is very poor for a starting guard in her third year.

But since you brought up SC, which was roughly a month ago, it is still a decent barometer, considering they may be the best team we played all year, let me remind you of a few things. So how did the great CW do? Keep in mind that CW is a focal point of our offense and AG is not.

In 34 minutes, CW shot 3-11, had 4 TOs, 3 rebounds, no assists, no steals, no blocks and had a hard time keeping the SC guards in front of her. Fortunately, the SC guards couldn't make their shots. We only won because, out of all our players, PB was the one to take over. CW couldn't do it.

Now it wasn't AG's best game either, but in only 22 minutes, she scored 4 points on 2-7 shooting, 7 rebounds, 3 offensive, 2 steals, 3 blocks with 3 TOs and 4 fouls. I'd say she impacted the game more than CW in far more ways in far less time.

I hope CW turns it around and not just for one game. But I've been waiting for this to happen for 3 years. A few more minutes for AG and a few less for CW would be good for our team, in my opinion. Not 20 more minutes, not for CW to sit for half the game, just 8 minutes less to bring her down to say 30 minutes a game....I think it would help CW be more effective as well.
Do you ever even think they you are completely wrong about Williams?

I mean it's obvious Geno doesn't agree with you about Williams, but every other coach in the Big East doesn't agree with you about Williams either. And that doesn't give you any pause???

Reaction Score
Per the UConn WBB box score, AG played 10 minutes in the 34 point win.

Was that Geno maintaining chemistry with 6 player rotation, especially 3 guards? Or function of players earning PT in practice? Or both?

Love reinvigorated comments from emotional GA.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Per the UConn WBB box score, AG played 10 minutes in the 34 point win.

Was that Geno maintaining chemistry with 6 player rotation, especially 3 guards? Or function of players earning PT in practice? Or both?

Love reinvigorated comments from emotional GA.

I think in part, it's a commitment to Anna getting her minutes limit... Not sure that's going to end up working at this point but he seems to want to try to work her back in. Hoping for another shooter, I'd guess.

Reaction Score

I recall games that were over at halftime when refs called touch fouls on Collier and Gabby in first 2 minutes of 3rd quarter.

Sophomore Collier had 81 fouls and junior Gabby had 66 fouls.

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: University Of Connecticut Official Athletic Site - Stats

Junior Collier had 65 fouls and senior Gabby had 64 fouls.

2017 18 overall stats (PDF) - University of Connecticut Athletics

Gabby was AA as junior and senior. Gabby was DPOY as junior. Not exactly out of control.

Reaction Score
Do you ever even think they you are completely wrong about Williams?

I mean it's obvious Geno doesn't agree with you about Williams, but every other coach in the Big East doesn't agree with you about Williams either. And that doesn't give you any pause???
of course I think that. but I'd like to see how it would work.

every coach in doesn't know if CW would be even better if she only had to play 30 minutes instead of 38. But yeah, I have doubts about my opinions but not necessarily because others don't agree.

Not comparing myself to him, but a long time ago a certain guy said the world was round and absolutely nobody agreed with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom