The Worst Trait Belonging To UConn's Worst Point Guard Under Calhoun | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Worst Trait Belonging To UConn's Worst Point Guard Under Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am enjoying the progression of this thread. As far as dog days of summer topic postings go, searching through the archives for misguided posts is probably preferable to spending time outside in the death valley hot weather.

Reaction Score
Hobbs? He was pretty good. Check out this SI account of perhaps his best week at UConn. Scroll down to the 3rd paragraph in the EAST section. Great quote by Hobbs: "That was an incredible play, a tremendous play on my part". I was there, it was!

He said that to Dave Smith as Channel 3 was doing a post game show. When my son was calling his games Hobb's last two years at GW, I begged my son to ask him about that quote on the air.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I haven't read any of the trainwreck that this thread has most likely become, but I have to wonder what this moron OP thought he was accomplishing by making this thread.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You're right, in the sense that I think it must have been intentional understatement. I just wanted to post The Simpsons clip.

Yes, I was being sarcastic. Shabazz made the leap last year, in every sense.

WHAT, DO YOU GUYS WANT ME TO SAY I duckKED UP?!?!?! I duckKED UP! DONT SHAKE YOUR HEAD AT ME, I duckKED UP! SHABAZZ WAS BEING COMPARED TO KEMBA AND TALEIK- THEY AREN'T BAD PLAYERS!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You are right that Hobbs didn't play for Calhoun, but Tate George was Calhoun's first PG,

Tate was a Perno recruit so technically Pikell is JC's 1st PG.

Reaction Score
I think we've all said things in low moments for the program out of frustration that we later came to regret. Thank goodness there was no Boneyard in 1993 when we lost to Lindsay Hunter State in the first round of the NIT, because I would have spent that summer posting about Calhoun needed to go - that we had one great season when we snuck up on everyone, but that the program was regressing. I was convinced that we needed a new direction - absolutely sure of it. I was 21 at the time, and didn't know it all, even though I thought I did.

Reaction Score
I think we've all said things in low moments for the program out of frustration that we later came to regret. Thank goodness there was no Boneyard in 1993 when we lost to Lindsay Hunter State in the first round of the NIT, because I would have spent that summer posting about Calhoun needed to go - that we had one great season when we snuck up on everyone, but that the program was regressing. I was convinced that we needed a new direction - absolutely sure of it. I was 21 at the time, and didn't know it all, even though I thought I did.

If I may, I thought your single worst PG was Kemba Walker as a sophomore. He single handedly cost you a tourney game by hogging the ball in the late stages of the last loss that season.

Of course, I also believe he was one of the best PG's I have ever seen play the game the next year.

Reaction Score
If I may, I thought your single worst PG was Kemba Walker as a sophomore. He single handedly cost you a tourney game by hogging the ball in the late stages of the last loss that season.

Of course, I also believe he was one of the best PG's I have ever seen play the game the next year.

Virginia Tech in the NIT? We lost that game when Kemba had a beautiful dump-down pass to Gavin Edwards in the final seconds down by one, who missed a bunny. Not sure what happened on the possessions before that, though - you may be right. The game didn't mean that much to me, so I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about it after it was over.

Reaction Score
WHAT, DO YOU GUYS WANT ME TO SAY I duckKED UP?!?!?! I duckKED UP! DONT SHAKE YOUR HEAD AT ME, I duckKED UP! SHABAZZ WAS BEING COMPARED TO KEMBA AND TALEIK- THEY AREN'T BAD PLAYERS!!!

Perhaps

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I was really pissed at the time and I'm an idiot.

That's pretty much it.

'Tis a rare thing to admit one is wrong on the internet.

Reaction Score
Virginia Tech in the NIT? We lost that game when Kemba had a beautiful dump-down pass to Gavin Edwards in the final seconds down by one, who missed a bunny. Not sure what happened on the possessions before that, though - you may be right. The game didn't mean that much to me, so I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about it after it was over.

My bad. I guess it was his freshman year, in the tourney, when he decided he was more Dyson than Dyson or your other excellent guard were.

Reaction Score
My bad. I guess it was his freshman year, in the tourney, when he decided he was more Dyson than Dyson or your other excellent guard were.

He was certainly really bad in that FF loss to MSU. Two things about that, though:
  1. He was excellent in the Missouri game that got them to the Final Four
  2. There was no Dyson anymore, due to the injury, and so we needed someone to attack the rim. His FT shooting was what killed us more than anything: 3-9 from the line was awful. Michigan State really shut down AJ Price (5-20 from the field), and so they struggled to get much going.

Reaction Score
He was certainly really bad in that FF loss to MSU. Two things about that, though:

1. [ ]He was excellent in the Missouri game that got them to the Final Four
    [ ]There was no Dyson anymore, due to the injury, and so we needed someone to attack the rim. His FT shooting was what killed us more than anything: 3-9 from the line was awful. Michigan State really shut down AJ Price (5-20 from the field), and so they struggled to get much going.
Its amazing the different perspectives people have of the same events. Here is my opinion:
1. Michigan State FF 2009 . The biggest factor in that loss was our weak bench. When Sticks got in foul trouble we had little option.
Heck Beverly played extensive minutes. I know he is a boneyard favorite but as a Soph he didn't belong on the court. Compare Dyson to Beverly.
2. 2010 the crunch time conflict between Dyson and Kemba cost us enough close games to keep us out of the NCAA. The NIT game with VT was a microcosm of the season. In my opinion that game was won as long as Kemba had the ball. Yes even as a Sophi Kemba was the superior option to Dyson at crunch time. Dyson with the ball and his penchant for going to the hoop were he forced things wasted possessions. I'm not a Dyson hater he was a great player that exercised poor judgement,but at that time Kemba obviously was a budding superstars. He had a much better feel for what was available. That's what is needed from a point especially at crunch time.
2011. pre-season AZHuskie voiced concern over the youth of that team. My reply was as long as Kemba stays healthy this team will be great. We got the best point guard in the country that was based on 2010 observations.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

Possible that you may be thinking of the Syracuse 6OT game. I think Kemba might have forced up a bad shot or two in that game when we had chances to win it in OT. Although Dyson was hurt.

Reaction Score
No he wasn't pretty good overall. He was pretty bad. And that was an incredible play. The other posters are right, Hobbs was a Perno recruit.

Who was pretty bad Danzz, Hobbs?

Actually was a pretty damn good undersized PG while a Husky!!

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Dyson played as hard as you can play, but he never had a plan. Awhile back he admitted in an interview he never really got the value of preparation in college - studying film, scouting the opponent, reading scouting reports on yourself, etc.

It kind of explains everything. He could have gotten so much more out of all of the effort he put out, but he didn't play smart.

Reaction Score
I really like Jerome. I have met him several times and he could not have been nicer. His game was always based on hustle and bounce, but he never really embraced the fundamentals. I hope he makes the most out of his current opportunity. I would love to see him in the league for a couple years.

Reaction Score

1. [ ]He was excellent in the Missouri game that got them to the Final Four
    [ ]There was no Dyson anymore, due to the injury, and so we needed someone to attack the rim. His FT shooting was what killed us more than anything: 3-9 from the line was awful. Michigan State really shut down AJ Price (5-20 from the field), and so they struggled to get much going.

One of the less talked-about storylines in 2011 was Kemba's chance at redemption. After the 2009 FF I felt so bad for Kemba, because I didn't think he'd get a chance to get back to the Final Four and erase the bad memories. I wonder to what extent he was driven by that during the 2011 season.

Reaction Score
There was this feeling I had, that I had only had about one other player in Uconn history, when we entered the tournament after the BE tournament. (Taurasi.)

Kemba wasn't going to lose another Final Four game. I just knew it. I even filled out brackets with Uconn winning it all, which I never do. (I just feel like a jinx.)

The defining moment in Taurasi's Uconn career was that Final Four game her freshman year. She never lost another NCAA tournament game. Neither did Kemba. Special players.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This was, by far, the dumbest thing I've ever said. And it's a long list.

So what's your point?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This was, by far, the dumbest thing I've ever said. And it's a long list.

So what's your point?
It was linked in huskymagic's thread and after reading the first few pages again I had to bump it for perspective.

And to confirm BigErn's contention that huskymagic is one of the biggest morons on the board.

Me, I'm just a garden-variety idiot.

PS: I *might* have made a similar post or ten about Taliek when he was a freshman and/or sophomore. And I'm still not convinced that I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom