The Worst Trait Belonging To UConn's Worst Point Guard Under Calhoun | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Worst Trait Belonging To UConn's Worst Point Guard Under Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I skipped reading this whole thread. Shabazz is one of the best players we've had. I saw him play at URI several years ago in a holiday prep tourney and said repeatedly that he was our answer at PG. I was thrilled when JC got him and I've never regretted it. Shabazz is a warrior. He is untouchable after last season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I skipped reading this whole thread. Shabazz is one of the best players we've had. I saw him play at URI several years ago in a holiday prep tourney and said repeatedly that he was our answer at PG. I was thrilled when JC got him and I've never regretted it. Shabazz is a warrior. He is untouchable after last season.
Yeah but uh, he uh doesn't get his arm up when he closes out on a shooter. :confused:

Reaction Score
I might be wrong about UConn fans/alumni having lives. If people remember details on a message board this petty, we need help. , I was railed at a college hockey message board over the most stupid stuff with the dumbest private messages.

Internet elitism. A new low for humanity.

Reaction Score
Worst starter
What? My vote goes to Karl Hobbs, he played with his back to the basket, wasn't very quick for a small guy and was no offensive threat.

Reaction Score
In a perfect world, seeing a thread like this might serve as a lesson to those prone to make rash statements in threads after losses. We know that won't happen, but in a perfect world...

Umm....... this world is called the Boneyard, a graveyard for logic and reason.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What? My vote goes to Karl Hobbs, he played with his back to the basket, wasn't very quick for a small guy and was no offensive threat.

Hobbs? He was pretty good. Check out this SI account of perhaps his best week at UConn. Scroll down to the 3rd paragraph in the EAST section. Great quote by Hobbs: "That was an incredible play, a tremendous play on my part". I was there, it was!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but there was this guy, I think his name is Taliek Brown..... yea, pretty much everyone said he was awful and the worst too...

how'd that work out?

The patented arm pit shot into the trees when over-penetrating didn't stop UConn from winning a NC.

Reaction Score
Hobbs? He was pretty good. Check out this SI account of perhaps his best week at UConn. Scroll down to the 3rd paragraph in the EAST section. Great quote by Hobbs: "That was an incredible play, a tremendous play on my part". I was there, it was!
I don't think Hobbs played for Calhoun. He was small bu a good player that understood his role.
I have a program in my UConn stuff with his autograph.
Steave Pikell was Calhoun's first PG.
But he played on that awful team when Clff Robinson and the other star were suspended. They had very limited options playing in the best conference in the US.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I don't think Hobbs played for Calhoun. He was small bu a good player that understood his role.
But he played on that awful team when Clff Robinson and the other star were suspended. They had very limited options playing in the best conference in the US.

My apologies to the UConn NIT MVP Phil Gamble for forgetting his name. He does tend to get overlooked in any list of UConn stars.
Mike Mckay from Harding is another. UConn was in the post season all four of his years 1978-1982. They also beat Syracuse at the dome and Georgetown in Washington.
Yes we did play basketball before the JC era.
thanks to the Internet I don't t have to depend on my failing memory.
Note on Karl Hobbs
his daughter went to the same high school as the number 1 UConn recruit in 2004. Was that Rudy Gay?

Reaction Score
Thank God for Archives.

Yes ... zls ... you proved your bonafides. I don't even want to speculate on the "Worst PG in the Calhoun era". But, didn't that kid Shabazz get a hole lot better?

Reaction Score
No he wasn't pretty good overall. He was pretty bad. And that was an incredible play. The other posters are right, Hobbs was a Perno recruit.

Reaction Score
Slightly
Are you really saying that Shabazz didn't have an outstanding junior season? I thought he was terrific in terms of both productivity and leadership. That represents major improvement over the year before. I'd love to hear your take on his 2012-13 season.

Reaction Score
Are you really saying that Shabazz didn't have an outstanding junior season? I thought he was terrific in terms of both productivity and leadership. That represents major improvement over the year before. I'd love to hear your take on his 2012-13 season.

(Yes, I know it's Spanish. Somehow for me, it makes it more funny.)

Reaction Score
Shabazz needs to compare himself to a guy like AJ Price, rather than Kemba. AJ Price is the player all of us hope Shabazz can become by his junior year. Right now he's playing more like Kemba, which he obviously cannot get away with because he's not nearly as talented. AJ Price wasn't the flashiest player, but he did make his teammates better and he was a reliable three point shooter.

Another thing: Earlier in the year, many of us were already calling Shabazz one of the top point guards in the country. He put up double digit assists, recorded a triple double, scored when he wanted to, and led us to victory over a very good Florida State team. His massive regression is what would make me believe he is hiding an injury. I'm not looking for excuses, it's just that it is very abnormal for a kid to go from one of the best point guards in the nation to a complete liability.

Sometimes it takes one good game for everything to click again. We forget how bad Kemba looked at times in the middle of the Big East schedule last year. He would still get his 15 ppg, play great defense, lead the team, etc., but there were a lot of 8 for 24 games mixed in there as well. I recall Kemba having a great game against Providence which got him back on track. If Shabazz goes out and drops 25 this weekend, all his struggles will soon be forgotten.

images

Reaction Score
I don't think he was being sarcastic...

You're right, in the sense that I think it must have been intentional understatement. I just wanted to post The Simpsons clip.

Reaction Score
A lot of people are forgetting what happened when Bazz had to be out of the lineup at times last year. It wasn't pretty. He is the essential player on our team for the upcoming year and God help us if he goes down.

Reaction Score
A lot of people are forgetting what happened when Bazz had to be out of the lineup at times last year. It wasn't pretty. He is the essential player on our team for the upcoming year and God help us if he goes down.

I don't think anyone has forgot, this is an old post that was upped

Reaction Score

You are right that Hobbs didn't play for Calhoun, but Tate George was Calhoun's first PG, I'll never forget watching him STRUT out leading the team at Calhoun's first midnight madness practice. That team finished with a lousy record, but was not horrible. And Pikiell, George, Cliffy, Gamble & crew were of course part of the NIT Championship team just a year later in Calhoun's 2nd season - most of the same players, just added back Cliffy & Phil. Pikiell might have logged some games at PG here and there, but mostly he was a SG and after his multiple shoulder issues a support player. I think Steve might have been at PG the very last game of that first Calhoun season and lit up MSG for a career high 27.

Reaction Score
You are right that Hobbs didn't play for Calhoun, but Tate George was Calhoun's first PG, I'll never forget watching him STRUT out leading the team at Calhoun's first midnight madness practice. That team finished with a lousy record, but was not horrible. And Pikiell, George, Cliffy, Gamble & crew were of course part of the NIT Championship team just a year later in Calhoun's 2nd season - most of the same players, just added back Cliffy & Phil. Pikiell might have logged some games at PG here and there, but mostly he was a SG and after his multiple shoulder issues a support player. I think Steve might have been at PG the very last game of that first Calhoun season and lit up MSG for a career high 27.
Pikells bio when he got his contract extension states he was Calhoun's first PG.
In JC system PG and SG could be difficult to distinguish between especially if there was a third guard out there. I will have to review the records to refresh my memory.

Hobbs was the Huskies all time assist leader after his career.
Still is number four. He had some good players around him as a freshman and Soph. The talent dropped off and he wasn't the kind of player to elevate his team.

Reaction Score
Pikells bio when he got his contract extension states he was Calhoun's first PG.
In JC system PG and SG could be difficult to distinguish between especially if there was a third guard out there. I will have to review the records to refresh my memory.

Hobbs was the Huskies all time assist leader after his career.
Still is number four. He had some good players around him as a freshman and Soph. The talent dropped off and he wasn't the kind of player to elevate his team.

Whatever the bio says, Tate George was a 4-year starter 1986/87-89/90 and I'd bet has at least 10 times* the career assists that Pikiell has. I liked Steve Pikiell a lot, but if he had more assists in any ONE game than George it was because George was hurt. Maybe I vaguely recall an upperclassman Tate playing 2-guard or even SF, but that would have been with Smitty running point.

I can't remember if Calhoun or Perno recruited Tate (probably Perno) but I'm pretty sure Perno recruited Pikiell. Tate George was Calhoun's first PG.

*Edit looked it up, I was a bit overzealous as Pikiell had about 165 assists for his career to 677 for Tate, good for 2nd all-time to this thread's patron saint Taliek Brown!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom