The Worst Trait Belonging To UConn's Worst Point Guard Under Calhoun | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Worst Trait Belonging To UConn's Worst Point Guard Under Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kentucky isn't exactly a collection of Medicare recipients. Not a convincing excuse.

Except it's never been Calhoun's MO to get multiple McD's AAs every year and win with freshmen, whereas that is precisely Cal's....

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
"Shabazz Napier cares about Shabazz Napier right now. Period. The minute he starts caring about anyone else is the minute this team has a prayer of doing something"

Truth.

No, it's not truth, but it is stupid.

Reaction Score
That doesn't make it better nor does it buy you any wiggle room.

This is the kind of dickish post that makes this place a pure duck*ing rubber room of stupid. Before you, some jerkoff made the same post about Kevin Ollie or Ricky Moore or Taliek Brown and, yes, Kemba.

A good chunk of the people here are garden-variety idiots - they'll never know any better. You should, but you don't and that's scary.

Napier is a kid who doesn't know what he's doing and he's playing with a bunch of other kids who really, really don't know what they're doing - and just to add to the level of difficulty, the head coach has yoyo'd in and out of his job over the past month.

But he's the worst starter Calhoun has ever had. Okie dokie - thanks for the insight.

If they don't know what they are doing why are they receiving a free 25k/year in out of state tuition at a basketball powerhouse? Or are you going to say we are not a powerhouse just to defend Shabbier for whatever asinine reason you are doing so?

I dont remember ever seeing the lack of effort, body language, awful shot selection from any of your stated guards. I also don't think I've ever seen this kind of loyalty from the coaches towards a player in terms of not yanking him after he keeps screwing up.

Down 30 or up 30 I have never and will never leave or turn the game off until the final horn which makes me feel like I have a right to complain when I see Shabby play.

Reaction Score
Because they're learning how to figure out what they're doing, just like the team that inspired your namesake had to do when they barely finished above .500 and had to play in the NIT their first year together before getting KEA. The sense of entitlement you ducks expect to have at the hands of 19 & 20 year old kids is amazing.

If they don't know what they are doing why are they receiving a free 25k/year in out of state tuition at a basketball powerhouse? Or are you going to say we are not a powerhouse just to defend Shabbier for whatever asinine reason you are doing so?

I dont remember ever seeing the lack of effort, body language, awful shot selection from any of your stated guards. I also don't think I've ever seen this kind of loyalty from the coaches towards a player in terms of not yanking him after he keeps screwing up.

Down 30 or up 30 I have never and will never leave or turn the game off until the final horn which makes me feel like I have a right to complain when I see Shabby play.

Reaction Score
Because they're learning how to figure out what they're doing, just like the team that inspired your namesake had to do when they barely finished above .500 and had to play in the NIT their first year together before getting KEA. The sense of entitlement you ducks expect to have at the hands of 19 & 20 year old kids is amazing.

Since this is a public message board on the world wide internet thing I am entitled to complain about Shabbier and you are entitled to respond unintelligibly. Other than that I have no sense of entitlement. I hope nothing more that Shabazz turns it around but right now I have my doubts.

My namesake comes from a year when we were nowhere near where we are today and when expectations were far less.

Reaction Score
Case in point. Just flooded with entitled clowns.
You should probably read some more of my posts before you start with the name calling. Just because I say it's tough to watch a team with this much talent play this poorly doesn't mean I don't have some perspective.

I realize we're not going to have a juggernaut every year, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say things have gotten ugly. Last night was case in point. If not a win, I think fans are entitled to a little bit better effort than what they saw against Louisville. If that makes me an "entitled clown," so be it.

Besides, I don't know why you act all indignant and surprised with all the off-the-wall posts here when a season's going down the tubes. You know that's how it's been at every one of these forums over the years.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Enough of the good fan/bad fan garbage. Everyone on here is a hardcore fan. Period.

I'm getting up at 5 AM to drive to Syracuse on Saturday. Even though I think Napier is awful right now. I could put the tickets on StubHub, I could eat the $40, but I'm still going to go because I know they're better than this.

Reaction Score
Since this is a public message board on the world wide internet thing I am entitled to complain about Shabbier and you are entitled to respond unintelligibly. Other than that I have no sense of entitlement. I hope nothing more that Shabazz turns it around but right now I have my doubts.

My namesake comes from a year when we were nowhere near where we are today and when expectations were far less.

The core of that team minus KEA made the NIT their first year together in 96-97, and lol @ expectations being far less for that 99 team than this one. That 99 team was ranked preseason #2 behind Duke(Dickie V had them #1 before he hopped on the Duke bandwagon) and spent a good majority of the year ranked #1. That team was expected to be a Final 4 and NC contender just like this one was. Big difference b/w that team and this one is that that one was made up of mostly SRs and JRs(and a soph PG who as ready to play right away as anyone player we ever brought in here) who had already grown accustomed to playing in their roles and what was expected of them nightly. Next time you want to call someone out for posting "unintelligibly", take the time to actually know what you're talking about.

caw

Reaction Score
Kentucky isn't exactly a collection of Medicare recipients. Not a convincing excuse.

Exception not the rule, seriously look up every other top team in the nation. Do it and let me know their ages/experience. Or you can search for my post from a few weeks ago that laid it all out. I mean why get hung up on facts though.

As to Napier being the worst PG in UConn history, here are the stats for the UConn starting PGs since 1996-1997:

Shabazz Napier:
  • 13.1 PTS, 5.5 Assists, 1.7 Steals, 3.0 TO, 38.6%, 33.3%, and 75.2%
Kemba Walker:
  • 23.5 PTS, 4.5 Assists, 1.9 Steals, 2.3 TO, 42.8%, 33.0%, and 81.9%
  • 14.6 PTS, 5.0 Assists, 2.1 Steals, 2.9 TO, 40.4%, 33.9%, and 76.7%
AJ Price:
  • 14.7 PTS, 4.7 Assists, 0.7 Steals, 2.7 TO, 40.8%, 40.2%, and 72.1%
  • 14.5 PTS, 5.8 Assists, 1.3 Steals, 2.4 TO, 43.7%, 36.9%, and 74.6%
  • 9.4 PTS, 3.6 Assists, 1.2 Steals, 2.0 TO, 38.7%, 27.3%, and 69.0%
Marcus Williams:
  • 12.3 PTS, 8.6 Assists, 0.9 Steals, 3.3 TO, 40.7%, 40.0%, and 86.2%
  • 9.6 PTS, 7.8 Assists, 1.1 Steals, 3.7 TO, 40.4%, 40.3%, and 71.9%
Taliek Brown:
  • 6.3 PTS, 6.5 Assists, 1.1 Steals, 2.4 TO, 41.7%, 20.0%, and 55.3%
  • 7.7 PTS, 4.8 Assists, 0.9 Steals, 2.4 TO, 44.0%, 05.9%, and 56.0%
  • 9.2 PTS, 5.1 Assists, 1.3 Steals, 3.3 TO, 45.6%, 30.3% and 65.0%
  • 8.1 PTS, 4.9 Assists, 1.6 Steals, 2.4 TO, 43.0%, 25.0% and 54.5%
Khalid El-Amin
  • 16.0 PTS, 5.2 Assists, 1.7 Steals, 2.7 TO, 41.1%, 35.6%, and 89.2%
  • 13.8 PTS, 3.9 Assists, 1.6 Steals, 2.6 TO, 41.2 %, 33.8%, and 77.8%
  • 16.0 PTS, 4.2 Assists, 1.8 Steals, 2.7 TO, 42.4%, 36.5%, and 79.6%
Ricky Moore*
  • 8.9 PTS, 5.4 Assists, 1.7 Steals, 2.6 TO, 36.8%, 33.4% and 64.0%
1996-1997 Record: 17-11 Ricky's first year as starter
1997-1998 Record: 32-5 El-Amin's first year as starter
2000-2001 Record: 20-12 Taliek's first year as starter
2004-2005 Record: 23-8 William's first year as starter
2006-2007 Record: 17-14 AJ's first year as starter
2009-2010 Record: 18-16 Kemba's first year as starter
2011-2012 Record: 13-5 Napier's games as a starting PG (1-2 Boatright)

And all of this is including Napiers stats from the past three games (not starting PG) where he is 4-26 (15.4%), 0-9 (0.0%) and 8-10 (80%) with an average of 1.7 Assists and 5.3 PTS.

Boatright is 13-26 (50%), 2-7 (28.6%), 9-12 (75%) with 12.3 PTS, 4.7 Assists, 3.0 Steals and 3.0 TO

* I know Ricky didn't start every game as PG that year with the NCAA issues.

Reaction Score
and lol @ expectations being far less for that 99 team than this one.

Holy crap, did someone really write that???? I can only assume they were too young to pay attention then. Expectations were not only sky high, they were desperately high - as in "if we don't make the Final Four this year, it'll never happen." I can't describe the sheer torture of watching the Gonzaga Elite Eight game - it was pure hell. Worst 39:55 I've ever had watching a sporting event, and maybe the biggest sigh of relief in the last :05 ever. Post-1999 fans just have no idea of what that was like. As bad as George Mason was - multiply it by 1000 and you have what losing to Gonzaga (which wasn't established then) would have been. At least we had two banners when we lost to Mason.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Gonzaga game might have been the single most pressure-filled game in the school's history.

We haven't had a game like that since - the final four was house money, but losing that game would have been a disaster.

The second title game and the Elite Eight game vs. Missouri were two other games that had something to them. The second title separated JC from the pack and then the third Final Four more or less cemented it.

But nothing compared to the Zags game.

Reaction Score
Next time you want to call someone out for posting "unintelligibly", take the time to actually know what you're talking about.

I can only assume they were too young to pay attention then. Expectations were not only sky high, they were desperately high - as in "if we don't make the Final Four this year, it'll never happen."

We haven't had a game like that since - the final four was house money, but losing that game would have been a disaster.

So expectations were desperately high -as in "if we don't make the Final Four this year, it'll never happen." But once we got the final four we were playing with house money? Doesnt playing with house money mean we weren't expected to get there? Aceboon - I can use a straw man too!

Relative to where the program was in 99 to where it is now expectations may have been higher in 99, but at that time we had never been to the final four and now we have tasted it 4 times and won 3 championships. In 2012 many more prospective students are looking at and have heard of UConn due to the baskteball team than were doing so in 1999. The overall expectations year in and year out are much higher now.

So back to the topic of the thread since expectations are higher Shabbier needs to atleast show a little more emotion if hes going to be the self proclaimed leader.

H

huskymagic

Enough of the good fan/bad fan garbage. Everyone on here is a hardcore fan. Period.

I'm getting up at 5 AM to drive to Syracuse on Saturday. Even though I think Napier is awful right now. I could put the tickets on StubHub, I could eat the $40, but I'm still going to go because I know they're better than this.

Best post of the day. We wouldn't be here on the boneyard every day or going to games if weren't hardcore fans of the team. This is UCONN and we expect to contend for national championships and not make excuses for certain players or why the team isn't playing well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Best post of the day. We wouldn't be here on the boneyard every day or going to games if weren't hardcore fans of the team. This is UCONN and we expect to contend for national championships and not make excuses for certain players or why the team isn't playing well.

And with two short words, 'we expect', he demonstrates all that's wrong with this place.

This ain't the Boneyard, it's just a miserable shadow of what it used to be.

Reaction Score

Who's 'we' in this scenario.

Sounds like 'you'

H

huskymagic

Who's 'we' in this scenario.

Sounds like 'you'

yes I am speaking for myself but everyone from the school, to the coaches, to the players to the fans all expect UCONN to compete for national championships each and every year especially coming off a title with almost everyone back and adding Drummond.You think John Wooden and UCLA were satisfied when they won 8 championships in a row.

caw

Reaction Score
So expectations were desperately high -as in "if we don't make the Final Four this year, it'll never happen." But once we got the final four we were playing with house money? Doesnt playing with house money mean we weren't expected to get there? Aceboon - I can use a straw man too!

Relative to where the program was in 99 to where it is now expectations may have been higher in 99, but at that time we had never been to the final four and now we have tasted it 4 times and won 3 championships. In 2012 many more prospective students are looking at and have heard of UConn due to the baskteball team than were doing so in 1999. The overall expectations year in and year out are much higher now.

So back to the topic of the thread since expectations are higher Shabbier needs to atleast show a little more emotion if hes going to be the self proclaimed leader.

Not quite. It means anything beyond that was exceeding expectations. Any team or fans who sets anything beyond a final four as expectations is in for a rough season and final four expectations should only be expected of teams that are great.

That 1999 team was great, it was an elite eight team the year before who had lost 5 games the year before and returned everyone who played any sort of major minutes in 1998. A final four was the expectation, the hope was a NC. It met expectations by beating Gonzaga in the elite eight. Beating OSU in the semi and Duke in the final was icing on the cake.

Fans and programs shouldn't expect Final Fours or National Championships every year, that is beyond unreasonable.

Hope/want a NC every year but don't expect one, that's just silly. Think about it, UK has all 7 NC's in about 65 years, that's roughly one every 9 years or so. UCLA has 10 but hasn't won one in 17 years. Indiana has all 5 but hasn't won one in 25 years. Kansas has 5 in 90 years. Duke has all 4 in 20 years or one every 5. UNC has all 6 since 1924 (or all 5 since 1957). UConn has 3 in 15 years. No team will ever be UCLA of the 1960's-1970's.

That said, this team is not playing as well as it could. The Shabbier stuff is uncalled for and just plain dickish.

caw

Reaction Score
yes I am speaking for myself but everyone from the school, to the coaches, to the players to the fans all expect UCONN to compete for national championships each and every year especially coming off a title with almost everyone back and adding Drummond.You think John Wooden and UCLA were satisfied when they won 8 championships in a row.

Seriously? Four players left the program. One happened to be the best player in the country. One a 4 year backup and a co-captain. One a 3 year player and underrated defender. One was well, him leaving wasn't a huge loss.

Reaction Score
On the original point of the thread: Napier will play better.

I don't often post being a lurker and all, but I'd like to say I agree with Fishy.

I should probably stop here, but I like the sound of me typing, to wit.. every other post in here seems to read, "It's not the UConn I'm a fan of that sucks it's a bunch of importers wearing the same uniform that suck", or "holy that guy is a talentless hack". If you want to criticize someone that's fine but say something entertaining or informative because as a fan going to a website filled with like minded fans the negative nancy Stop in here pisses me off. And I might add it also greatly detracts from the enjoyment I get as lurker(consider carefully the normal mindless drivel written in here to appreciate the gravity of that statement).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom